PDA

View Full Version : online campaign?

Flyby
11-16-2007, 01:32 AM
Hey, is anyone planning online campaigns for SoW_BoB? Something like a virtual English Channel front? I'm sure there will be BoB coops, as well as the usual dogfight rooms on the HL. Also I wonder if people will take the time to join missions launched in an ongoing campaign. I know that some don't want to wait for teams to form up before a virtual mission is launched. I personally don't mind the waiting. A lot of combat is just that, waiting. BoB doesn't seem as if it was fought piecemeal, with individuals going up looking for formations of enemy bombers. I think most flew in squadron strength at least. I'm trying to visualize this online.
Anyone?
Flyby

1.JaVA_Platypus
11-16-2007, 08:24 PM
I think it is a bit hard to plan anything at all when you don't actually have the 'thing' you are planning it for :P

Flyby
11-16-2007, 11:08 PM
I think it is a bit hard to plan anything at all when you don't actually have the 'thing' you are planning it for :P
good point.
Flyby

-Sulan-
11-19-2007, 08:44 PM
Since that kind of online campaigns were in IL2, I'm sure they will be in Bob.
Great fun!!! :D
I also don't mind the waiting, it's very much worth if you fly with some guys from your squadron on teamspeak. A very realistic experience I thinks...
Now I can't wait!! :)

Flyby
11-20-2007, 12:32 AM
Sulan,
I hope to see you in the virtual skies above the English Channel. ;) I haven't decided what side I'll fly with. Something desperate about having to watch for Spitfires AND that little red fuel light in the Emil. Also something dreadful in the old phrase "beware the Hun in the sun". :D
Flyby out

SG1_Gunkan
11-20-2007, 09:21 AM
Realistic missions on BoB online is goin to be very boring :cry: . Too much time over the water for very little fighting time. I do prefer russian front 8)

Flyby
11-20-2007, 11:47 AM
Realistic missions on BoB online is goin to be very boring :cry: . Too much time over the water for very little fighting time. I do prefer russian front 8)
Gunkan, does this mean that BoB is not on your list of sims to buy, or that you will only fly online in dogfight rooms, and not particpate in campaigns? BTW, I recall lots of sitting and waiting while slots filled up for virtual online wars based in the Eastern Front. ;) I think Ill see you there anyway. :D
Flyby

SG1_Gunkan
11-20-2007, 02:02 PM
Gunkan, does this mean that BoB is not on your list of sims to buy, or that you will only fly online in dogfight rooms, and not particpate in campaigns? BTW, I recall lots of sitting and waiting while slots filled up for virtual online wars based in the Eastern Front. ;) I think Ill see you there anyway. :D
Flyby

I will buy BoB, off course. Oleg Maddox is our WW2 God sim and we praise and support him.

Me and my squadrom played online campaigns since IL2 Sturmovik: VEF, VOW, VEF2, VOW2, Bellum, Scortcher Earth, AW, etc... The only reason of SG1 squadron are the online campaigns.

I hope we can play online together. There is lack of russian forces in the Air Wars :twisted: .

BoB, if the missions are realistic, is going to be long and perhaps boring. We don't know yet if BoB is goint to be 100% historically realistic or with gameplay adjustment like IL2 Sturmovik :wink: .

In the other hand Frech front is much more interesting. But BoB will grow like IL2 to others fronts.

Flyby
11-20-2007, 04:23 PM
See you in the virtual skie, Gunkan! One can only wonder at what Oleg is up to for the future beyond Sow_BoB. The stuff dreams are made of. I can see a special sim on the Russian tactical air force taking place form 1943 onward.
Flyby out

igitur70
11-21-2007, 04:40 PM
Well, this may indeed be a premature discussion, as we have no clear idea of what we'll get with the new SoW online modes, but it may also be a good opportunity to gather and specify our ideas and wishes about what an exciting online campaign would look like. Plus, I feel like practising my rough english a bit, so :

:idea: What features would an ideal online campaign present (keeping in mind that not everything is possible) ?

1) A huge map. Small maps are excellent for co-op missions, but a realistic campaign requires the largest possible map, expanding along with any future add-on.

2) Not messy. Any pilot engaged in the campaign should well know his role and respect the standard procedures for take off, flight in formation, tactics, landings, navigation, communications, etc. How could it ever be done ? See below.

3) An in-game flight school, delivering the pilot's license that you would need to get an assignment to one of the several squadrons involved in the battle. That flight school might consist of a series of theoretical directives and a set of exercises that you should be able to perform, but it might also be managed by some devoted members of the community, who would brief the newcomers (of whom I am).

4) Dead is dead. Forget your nickname for a while. Once you've enlisted, you'd automatically get a name. If the character you're playing is killed, you'd get another name (but keep a similar rank). I think this would add a lot to immersion and make people much more careful and team-oriented, as they may wish to keep their loyal and heroic avatar alive, as well as their fellow pilot's one.

5) Headquarters. A dedicated room where a few elected members of the community could debate of strategic affairs and issue orders to the many squadrons through a chain of command.

Ok, thanks for reading, feel free to add your ideas,

regards.

Flyby
11-21-2007, 08:37 PM
Navigation and map reading, igitur. But I think you fly full real, eh? ;) An online campaign has to take into consideration the average virtual pilot skill level. So, some campaigns may have looser settings, and some may have vey tight settings, with all the in-betweens too. So we shall see what comes to pass. I do like the idea of dead is dead. There seems to be a bit more drama when I think "Flyby kicked the bucket". :D
Flyby out

Fuse
12-02-2007, 01:36 PM
I would suggest that anyone hosting a Campaign in progress post a "Plan of the Day" that could be read for intelligence updates. Outline Missions such as CAP, or Supply Base, recon, Ground Attack, etc. and give the player a choice to fly missions DURING the online campaign that would provide support FOR the overall campaign.

It would also be great to be able to update the message board "POD" during the mission at the end of the flight to be debriefed.

It would also be cool to have a flight/mission logbook to update at the end of the mission.