PDA

View Full Version : Things from IL2 we'd like to see again in BoB?

vanderstok
11-12-2007, 10:22 AM
I've seen plenty of lists with things we want to have changed (see all the posts with "porked!" in it ;) ) and stuff we'd like to see added in Bob. But what features in the current sim do you want to keep as it is now? In other words: What (small) features in IL2 as it is now are really brilliant?

Here's a couple I really like and would like to see again in BoB:

-When you strafe a column it stops and you actually see lots of soldiers running for their life!
-The way other (AI) aircraft "weave" around when flying in formation
-When you attack an IL2 you can actually see your bullets ricochet of the armor!
-Skip bombing, it actually works!

Wild.Bill.Kelso
11-12-2007, 05:07 PM
Skip bombing doesn't work? I watched Dart's Tutorial (http://www.darts-page.com/movies/Skip_Bomb_Training.zip) and tried it and it worked for me. That was with IL2FB+AEP+PF. Have not tried it yet with 1946.

Brain32
11-12-2007, 10:07 PM
Ahem :lol:
What did you read to respond with:
Skip bombing doesn't work? :lol:

Anyway I like graphics scalability options, they are awsome and I remember they helped me achieve a great looking graphics and smooth performance with my PC which really wasn't up to specs back then.
I remember I smoothly ran il2FB 1.22 on excellent with some minor adjustments while for example LockOn didn't want to run at low-medium :lol:

Wild.Bill.Kelso
11-12-2007, 11:22 PM
I guess I read it wrong. :oops:

Skoshi Tiger
11-13-2007, 01:25 AM
AAA that shoots you in your parachute :shock: . Though maybe that wouldn't be appropriate for the BoB. It might need to be introduced in other campaigns!

BlitzPig_DDT
11-13-2007, 07:15 PM
ALL of the jets and experimentals ('46 specific content)

Those planes are too cool and interesting to lose.

Also, Carrier ops.

I know that's not "Battle Of Brittain", but when people say BoB, they mean "the sequel sim", which is SoW and merely starts out with the BoB.

BSS_Sniper
11-16-2007, 12:37 AM
I've seen plenty of lists with things we want to have changed (see all the posts with "porked!" in it ;) ) and stuff we'd like to see added in Bob. But what features in the current sim do you want to keep as it is now? In other words: What (small) features in IL2 as it is now are really brilliant?

Here's a couple I really like and would like to see again in BoB:

-When you strafe a column it stops and you actually see lots of soldiers running for their life!
-The way other (AI) aircraft "weave" around when flying in formation
-When you attack an IL2 you can actually see your bullets ricochet of the armor!

Skip bombing is one of the arcadish things I'd like to see removed. It's wrong! The bombs are not the correct shape to do what they do in IL2. Take a look at the bombs they actually used in that particular famous mission.

Also I'd like to see the ability to adjust the curves for roll, pitch, ect removed. The plane should act and fly as it actually did, not how you prefer it. I want it to roll the way it really did when it was used in WW2, not to my or anyone else's specific liking.

BlitzPig_DDT
11-16-2007, 04:42 PM
Also I'd like to see the ability to adjust the curves for roll, pitch, ect removed. The plane should act and fly as it actually did, not how you prefer it. I want it to roll the way it really did when it was used in WW2, not to my or anyone else's specific liking.

http://www.blitzpigs.com/forum/images/smiles/banghead.gif

Come up with a way to market a stick with the game that won't allow the game to run without it, that is just like ALL WWII aircraft's sticks and you might be on to something.

Except for the fact that not every plane HAD the same stick (throw, length, control force at speeds, etc). So now you'll have to make a stick for EACH plane in the game and not let peopel fly them without buying your hardware.

Good luck with that. :roll:

A TM Cougar does not respond the same as a Saitek Cyborg, or CH Flight Stick, or M$ FF stick. They have different lengths, different throws, different weights, and different response curves as a result. What works for 1 will NOT work for the others in anything even close to the same way.

Oleg's sliders are brilliant, as is the translation of j/s travel to virtual pilot force. This combo is the onyl way to deal with the realities of the hardware market.

And even if that is removed, nothing stops me from designing my own curve in Foxy. Or from modding my stick physically to give me more control. But it will hurt the guys who don't have the means, or desire to go to those lengths.

vanderstok
11-16-2007, 06:27 PM
Let's get back on topic... The idea is to list those little things you actually LIKE about the current sim and shouldn't be missed in BoB. It seems we're now doing the opposite! ;)

Antoninus
11-16-2007, 06:53 PM
-Rear view mirrors
-Open able canopies and the ability to lean out of the cockpit
in certain planes.
-Trees weaving in the wind.
-Navigation, landing lights etc.

BSS_Sniper
11-16-2007, 07:01 PM

Come up with a way to market a stick with the game that won't allow the game to run without it, that is just like ALL WWII aircraft's sticks and you might be on to something.

Except for the fact that not every plane HAD the same stick (throw, length, control force at speeds, etc). So now you'll have to make a stick for EACH plane in the game and not let peopel fly them without buying your hardware.

A TM Cougar does not respond the same as a Saitek Cyborg, or CH Flight Stick, or M$ FF stick. They have different lengths, different throws, different weights, and different response curves as a result. What works for 1 will NOT work for the others in anything even close to the same way.

Oleg's sliders are brilliant, as is the translation of j/s travel to virtual pilot force. This combo is the onyl way to deal with the realities of the hardware market.

And even if that is removed, nothing stops me from designing my own curve in Foxy. Or from modding my stick physically to give me more control. But it will hurt the guys who don't have the means, or desire to go to those lengths.

Ummm I know that every aircraft isn't the same, but the models/type are. It is very arcadish to be able to have the sliders all the way up to 100 and every aircraft feels the same, practically. There can be a set profile for each. I'd even settle for an envelope so that it can't get too crazy.

BlitzPig_DDT
11-16-2007, 08:26 PM

Ummm I know that every aircraft isn't the same, but the models/type are. It is very arcadish to be able to have the sliders all the way up to 100 and every aircraft feels the same, practically. There can be a set profile for each. I'd even settle for an envelope so that it can't get too crazy.

No - you missed the point.

It's not just profiles for each aircraft. It's for each stick on the market. Different springs, different lengths, different throws, different pots, different gimbal designs, each one is different enough from the other that you can not cover all the possibilities on any reasonably budget or time frame.

Oleg did it right. Even if you don't like it.

BSS_Sniper
11-16-2007, 09:56 PM
Have you flown outside the sim? Maybe I don't get what you're saying to be honest. Explain it differently if you would.

csThor
11-17-2007, 06:59 AM
What he says is that you can't finetune any FM on a certain curve because that curve ends in very different ractions to the stick input from each and every joystick. I've got a Thrustmaster Afterburner II which I'm used to, a friend has a Saitek system, another a CH setup. All three are fundamentally different in pitch and roll - using the same setup for my TM on the CH made me feel like trying to balance a perfect ball on the tip of a needle - very twitchy. On the other hand the Saitek stick felt sluggish and slow with my settings ... Just my observations but DDT lined it out - there are far too many stick combinations on the market and each stick is reacting differently. You can't make "one set of curves to fit them all" because that won't work.

BlitzPig_DDT
11-17-2007, 09:15 AM
Sniper, consider it this way.

The input force required to move the stick in a real, un-hydraulicly assisted aircraft will increase as speed increases, sometimes to the point of being unable to move the stick, or unable to move it very quickly at all.

However, in a non-Force Feedback joystick setup, the player will be able to slam max travel at will, regardless of speed.

This means that you need to use an abstraction layer and translate physical control (stick) travel into virtual stick travel (and speed) based on both the aircraft in question, and the speed it's traveling at.

This alone means you can not have 1 setup, because Force Feedback users will be limited in ways that non-FFB users are not.

But it doesn't end there. Thor illustrated it quite well. You have no way of knowing what stick the player will be using. You won't know it's spring rates, gimbal system, or measuring devices.

- Someone with a longer stick will have greater fine control than someone with a shorter stick.
- Someone with a stiffly sprung stick will have slower and more labored input (and more careful as a result) than someone with a lightly spring stick.
- Someone with a center notchy stick will have a different feel, and experience, than someone with a stick that smoothly transitions from axis to axis.
- A short throw pot will have less granularity (fine measurement) than a long throw pot.
- Hall Effect Sensors will have much cleaner, consistent, and precise output than any potentiometer.
- A dying pot will lose precision and get noisier, which means it will start to spike.
- A full HOTAS with rudder pedals and non-twisty stick will behave MUCH differently than a twisty stick.

All of the above means that what works for 1 stick will NOT work for another, except by a miracle coincidence. And even what worked for that one stick will not always work for it because that stick will degrade over time.

The means of filtering and manipulating stick input must be adjustable by the user. It will allow them to change and upgrade their control devices, as well as allow for easier extensibility of the code.

Remember, you are not adjusting stick travel with those sliders, you are adjust how much of the total force the virtual pilot has available to exert is acually applied to the virtual stick for that amount of physical stick travel. So in actuality you are controlling the pilot, NOT the plane, and your stick simply manipulates how much force he applies and in which direction.

You will find that at half physical travel, the virual stick will move a certain amount at 0kph IAS, and that same physical stick travel will result in less virtual stick travel at 400kph IAS.

Also, most sticks today allow people to create their own input curves when programming a profile anyway, so it's not like removing that will do any good - it will only harm those who can't adust their stick's curves through other means, and also mean more work and less profit for the devs, and less product for us.

Bodkin
11-20-2007, 06:32 PM
Amazing!

How a well meaning topic can be hi-jacked by some who don't understand the intent of the author which was very plain.

SIGH again!

Please, take it to another thread.

wgvette
11-21-2007, 07:02 PM
I hope that non-historical aircraft are still available. For me as an offliner, creating the what ifs type of mission/campaigns is challenging and fun.

If not, there will still be IL2 until other series of SOW expand the options available.

Either way I'm looking forward to the next generation of OM's flight sim.

Friendly_flyer
11-22-2007, 08:41 PM
I hope the towing arrangement we have can be duplicated, but with a target drone in stead of the glider. It is very immersive staring off a campaign with actual training missions.