PDA

View Full Version : Sufficient powersupply?

Skarphol
11-06-2007, 04:35 PM
Hi!

I am about to crumble under the strain of waiting for BOB and give in to the urge to upgrade my system and then upgrade again some 6 months or so after BOB has been released. Anyway, as this is a thing that has to be spilt over several paychecks, I've thought of starting with cabinet, powersupply and watercooling. The question is: How much power do I need?

The PC is located in our bedroom, so noise-reduction is a big factor here.

I've found a powersupply from Corsair called CMPSU-450VXEU with 450W wich everyone says is so silent its eerie. But will it be enough? Are there other, more powerful supplies anyone can recomend that has a low noiselevel?

My system will never be along the absolute top models, hence my grapics card will be somewhere on the 'upper mid range' if it is something called that.

Thanks in advance!

Skarphol

RockStar
11-06-2007, 05:01 PM
I guess it depends on the components you wish to use. 450 watts would not get you very far if you are planning on using a SLI configuration. You may want to look at something a bit beefier to help future proof your new system.

SlipBall
11-06-2007, 06:46 PM
I would agree that you should go a bit higher.....I just installed the OCZ 700W Game X Stream, it has 4X 12 volt rails....good if I go the SLI route later on....you can't have too much, but you can have too little power :D

Monterey
11-06-2007, 11:48 PM
I would go at least 700w.
Go to http://www.newegg.com and look at their supplies, and check out the customer reviews for performance, reliability and noise levels.

Skarphol
11-07-2007, 05:37 PM
Ok, thanks for your opinions!
You have convinced me, the 450W PS is too weak.
I'll think I'll go for a 650 -700W instead.

Skarphol

Urufu_Shinjiro
11-07-2007, 10:52 PM
Look into the PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 quad, great psu and quiet.