PDA

View Full Version : Toggle Horizontal Stabilizer

Cdr84
04-28-2011, 10:54 PM
Toggle Horizontal Stabilizer,

Can't seem to get this to work in any of the bombers.

Does this get disabled with realism settings? If it does this is going to be really tough on bomber guys.

Cdr

Blackdog_kt
04-29-2011, 12:09 AM
This has been talked about in various threads up till now, so i'll try to keep it short.

I haven't tried with lower realism settings but i guess that would be the ticket to making it work. It's listed in the controls but it doesn't do anything if you are flying at high difficulty settings.

On the other hand, the German bombers have autopilots that you can engage and they'll take you through a steady bomb run, it's just not an instant "toggle level flight" switch anymore.

The blenheim and Br.20 don't have autopilots, but they also don't have super-sensitive gyroscopic bombsights that need a lengthy straight and level run to work correctly. In fact, i've found that trimming for level flight before i jump to the bomb-aimer's seat enables me to fly the aircraft just fine from that position.

I don't mind because it's actually a step closer to how it was done in reality. That being said, there are a couple of known bugs that make it hard to use. For example, the gyrocompass in the Ju88 doesn't work and that means the autopilot doesn't work either.

Also, the bomb release key doesn't drop the bombs if you are in the bombardier's seat. You have to either switch to the pilot's view and press it, or click on the bomb release key in the bombardier's station which means zooming out of the bombsight view just before release. This is mostly a problem for the Blenheim and Br.20 because they can't drop automatically, but it would also be nice to have it fixed for all other bombers so that we can do manual drops in them too.

Short answer: it's not better or worse, it's just different and closer to life, we just need to have these two bugs corrected (i'm keeping my finger's crossed for the final, non-beta patch that will probably hit Steam tomorrow as i really like the 88 ).

If you want more information, run a forum search with "bombers,level stabilizer,course autopilot" as keywords and you'll find more in-depth discussion about this.
Hope it gets you started, cheers :grin:

Cdr84
04-29-2011, 12:22 AM
Thx, saw your similar post further down the page right after I posted.

Cdr