PDA

View Full Version : SOW: BOB due for release on 25/01/2008.

Slap
11-01-2007, 04:35 AM
Well according to
Play.com that is; they have it on pre-order for release on the 25/01/2008
http://www.play.com/Search.aspx?searchtype=PC&searchstring=Battle+Of+Britain&page=search&pa=search&go.x=0&go.y=0 (Fantastic price, had my copy pre-ordered from last year :) )

Can we please have an official statement to put us in the picture.

Thank you

S!ap

fly_zo
11-01-2007, 08:26 AM
Day after my birthday.... oh God let this one be true !!!

Z

Foo'bar
11-01-2007, 08:28 AM
No need to start another useless discussion here. You know all you have to know on this matter. Saqson did say enough.

Look here on SimHQ (http://www.simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2364639&nt=3&fpart=1)

:roll:

fly_zo
11-01-2007, 08:32 AM
Well for BoB i guess i could prolong my birthday till October...

Slap
11-01-2007, 08:39 AM
Excuse my ignorance Foo'bar, who is Saqson and what relation does he have to BOB? He does mention that he doesn't work on BOB and doesn't know when it will be released (if you read further down in the SimHQ post you linked...)

I don't think it is unreasonable to ask for some indication of the projects release date, or at least progress.

Thanks

S!ap

Foo'bar
11-01-2007, 08:47 AM
Well you have to learn to read behind the lines, Slap ;) You wont get any precise conclusion by any official. Neither Oleg nor UBI will tell you the exact release date now.

But sometimes there are guys wich could know some more. And sometimes they make some vague conclusions - camouflaged as their own estimations. ;)

My € 0,02

JG53Frankyboy
11-01-2007, 08:58 AM
Excuse my ignorance Foo'bar, who is Saqson and what relation does he have to BOB? ................

together with Luthier, Saqson stands behind RRG.
the team that was responsible for the
Pe-2
Manchuria/IL10
'46
AdOns

They are also working on Project Galba - a Korean War flightsim based on the SoW engine.
I guess they have a very close relationship to the Maddox team :roll:

Foo'bar
11-01-2007, 09:04 AM
So sieht's aus.

Ooops, forgot to write in english...

So looks it out. :D

Slap
11-01-2007, 09:41 AM
Thanks for the heads up on Saqson's relationship to OLeg and co chaps; interesting.

But why is it such a big secret? Competition or something? Tax returns? Sadism :)

I know that either way it will be ready when it's ready...I've been waiting for this sim since I was a fetus and will still be there waiting patiently when I am cremated with my HOTAS, no problem.

S!ap

Foo'bar
11-01-2007, 10:01 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Vigilant
11-01-2007, 01:06 PM
They are also working on Project Galba - a Korean War flightsim based on the SoW engine.
Ooh, nice...F86 ftw...hope THAT gets released after BoB for sure!

Evil_Merlin
11-01-2007, 01:06 PM
I'm so done wating for BoB.

From experience in the workplace I know how hard it is to release software. I totally understand that part. But damn, this is just getting sad.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still playing and enjoying IL-2, but the flightsim market is as good as dead, especially the combat flight sim market. What do we have out there for "modern" flight sims? MS flight Sim X and X-Plane?

When is the last time we got a good combat flight sim?

Maybe Im just frustrated with the wait.

BlitzPig_DDT
11-01-2007, 02:32 PM
I'm so done wating for BoB.

From experience in the workplace I know how hard it is to release software. I totally understand that part. But damn, this is just getting sad.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still playing and enjoying IL-2, but the flightsim market is as good as dead, especially the combat flight sim market. What do we have out there for "modern" flight sims? MS flight Sim X and X-Plane?

When is the last time we got a good combat flight sim?

Maybe Im just frustrated with the wait.

Why? It's going to be a trade off.

SOW:BoB looks awesome and I will readily snap it up, however.... I almost don't want it to come out any time soon.

Once it does, IL2 '46 is as good as buried. We'll lose ALL those awesome planes and be stuck in like 5 crap planes with HUGE distances to travel (by god I hope they bump time compression up to like 32x for those slow ass planes).

The variety will be gone. Maps, planes, and what can be done as a result of those (to say nothing of carrier ops), all gone.

I'm not sure all the stuff we're going to be getting (and the system upgrades we're sure to have to do) will be worth the loss.

They can take their sweet old time. Let SOW:BoB take as long as Duke Nukem 4-ever. :D

JG53Frankyboy
11-01-2007, 02:43 PM
the view from France to the cliffs of Dover
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/27/France_manche_vue_dover.JPG

DKoor
11-01-2007, 03:53 PM
Luv the signs of the increased optimism here.

crazyivan1970
11-01-2007, 03:56 PM
well well well... play.com at it again hehe.

1.JaVA_Toga
11-02-2007, 12:30 PM
So sieht's aus.

Ooops, forgot to write in english...

So looks it out. :D

LOL

Vigilant
11-02-2007, 03:06 PM
Let SOW:BoB take as long as Duke Nukem 4-ever. :D
I bloody well hope not!!! Your PC will be in mothballs by then if that happens.

I must say, having a forum discussing release dates, instead of the developer discussing release dates, makes this all a little difficult to put to rest.

An example I want to put forward from another completely different release for a different genre game, FH2, has had many ex-BF2 players groaning about when it will be released. It has taken a very long time because it is developed by a small team with no apparent deadlines for release. Sound familiar? The reality is, despite the purists who will play it anyway because their life depends on it, many might shun the game or take it off their hard drive because they have moved onto other interests.

Now, before you start throwing mud pies at me for mentioning a game other than IL-2 or it's incarnations here in a post, firstly I love IL-2. It is easily the best flight sim out there. Unfortunately, my love of this game is waning because other games that take advantage of the newest technology are already being released, but BoB is still being developed with a big sign saying "hurry up and wait".

I'd really like to see a release date, but understand that these things do take time. I'd just like to point out that occasionally, some developers lose track of the people who are waiting for releases due to workload, and hope that 1C bear in mind that once-loyal devotees in the past have found interests elsewhere for their gaming. This would be especially so if another developer came out of nowhere with a CFS that had the goods.

The gaming industry is moving ahead in leaps and bounds at the moment, but you could also say that this means for developers the risks are higher as consumers are bowled over with choices. When China gets it's act together and starts producing gaming software on a large scale, it will eventually be a developer powerhouse. Watch out everyone else.

My 2c anyway, sorry to bore you if that's how you felt.

Jagdwaffe
11-02-2007, 09:38 PM
The paying customer should be treated with respect and not put through guessing games. There should be a release date or an estimate of a release date from IC not from gaming companies looking to make money on pre-orders.
This is the "1C Company Forum Index -> IL-2 Sturmovik" not the SoW:BoB forum after all.....

Insuber
11-02-2007, 09:39 PM
"Due for release on 01/04/2008"

three days later, three months more ... one month a day ... Oh No Stop It!

DKoor
11-02-2007, 10:21 PM
http://i17.tinypic.com/66adzch.gif

1.APU_Hubal
11-03-2007, 12:11 AM
Hellow Everybody!!

I would admire to have F8F Bearcat in the SOW new series (Korea Project especially).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F8F_Bearcat

Is it possible to add this plane?? It was one of the best piston engine fighter aircraft.

One more thing - I would also admire to be able to start single missions from the ground or hangar. I don't know if you remember Strike Commander (F 16 simulator). It was great becouse of its simulation abilities but also there was some kind of story - pilot could go to the city bar, he could talk with his commander, could visit hangars to choose weapon. It was outstanding, it was great. Here are some very old printscreens but they represent what I am talking about:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/strike-commander/screenshots

I would love to have this kind of possibilities in the new SOW series ... Of course I don't want to make this game a kind of stupid game for kids but I think it could add some kind of specific climate.

I wish the development team all the best and I hope that you will consider the pilots "requests", haha - maybe a few of them :)

Regards,
Piotr from Poland.

csThor
11-03-2007, 04:48 AM
The paying customer should be treated with respect and not put through guessing games. There should be a release date or an estimate of a release date from IC not from gaming companies looking to make money on pre-orders.
This is the "1C Company Forum Index -> IL-2 Sturmovik" not the SoW:BoB forum after all.....

It is immensely amusing to see people demand a precise information on something not even the Lead Developer knows. My guess - they're still planning in quarters so the probably most realistic estimation you'll hear around here would be "4th quarter 2008".

partic
11-03-2007, 05:04 AM
I just hope they get it released before the financial malestrom hits. That probably means before the middle of next year at this rate. God knows how well software distribution will function during that inevitable unpleasantness. And as for buying a new PC at that point? Well for many it will not be possible.

Slap
11-03-2007, 05:52 AM
Hang on a minute, when I initially posted link to release dates by play.com it was on the 25/01/2008 , after this thread when up it changed to the 01/04/2008 ?

I can only presume that someone from 1C has contacted Play.com with an updated release date as it would surprise me if Play.com make up these dates on there own initiative. Funny how info seems to go out to online retailers but not a sausage to us.

I still cannot understand all the secrecy...No one expects an exact release date, but at least a progress report or an explanation of sorts to what is happening...We are not talking of divulging nuclear state secrets after all are we ? (Play.com? :D)...

Come on Oleg and co, put us out of our misery, talk to us please.

Thanks

S!ap

csThor
11-03-2007, 06:04 AM
Slap - With all due respect, but Play.com has been known to fabricate "release dates" on his own as long as I've known about that site. Your crusade for a definite release date is futile ATM as not even Maddox Games knows it. Again - Play.com is absolutely unreliable as "source" for release dates!

Slap
11-03-2007, 06:31 AM
Rgr that csThor; bit naughty of Play to do that...But I would have thought they would be liable if they fabricated release dates to boost sales.
I am not really after a definite release date m8 and not on a crusade, just want an update to what's happening regarding progress. If they don't know, that's fine with me, I would just like to hear it from the horses mouth and not people who know people who know people, if you get what I mean.

Is it really much to ask?

Maybe I should wake up and smell the roses, get off my horse and go back to bed and hibernate...

Do us a favour, give me a nudge when it's out :)

S!ap

Jagdwaffe
11-03-2007, 12:39 PM
Agreed. An estimate from IC would be the way to go. They must have some idea, they can't have open contract with Ubi or whomever. The road is not endless - they must have time frame as with any game project.
Let's face it, we hear from Maddox after a year and all we get a pic of an Italian bomber (not in game) and the obvious question is not answered. Customers deserve better treatment in my opinion.

csThor
11-03-2007, 12:48 PM
And why should they make a statement? There's no obligation on their part - after all they could announce the release of a totally different simulation for next Monday without any of us having the slightest clue that that one was in development at all.

Really - this insistance on a release estimate puzzles me. Me thinks the best response to a "When will it be released?" question is still the old but glorious "When it's done."

Monterey
11-03-2007, 01:35 PM
Myself, I don't care. When it's out, it's out. No big deal. One thing I've noticed about this sim is, no one is ever happy. As soon as 1946 came out, someone was already whining about when the next patch would be.

As soon as BoB SoW comes out, someone will be whining again about a patch after a day or two, you watch and see. It's never ending. I think Oleg and crew see this also, so they are taking their time. This group is hard to please.

IL-2 1946 won't die after SoW comes out. Not everyone can afford to upgrade their machines, and not everyone wants a European theatre.

Like I've said before, it wouldn't surprise me if Oleg and crew created the sound mod and released it to cause panic in this community, and have people so worried about flying with hackers, that they would all go and buy SoW. That way they would all feel "safe" again.

For now, I am content with 1946 and Shockwaves' BoB II WoV.

Just be patient, and enjoy what you have. BoB SoW is not gonna be life-altering.

S!

Jagdwaffe
11-03-2007, 01:36 PM
Because Maddox has posted progress pix and there is an expectation from many people - that's why. Some people share my your opinion and some share yours. Let's not rubbish an opinion because it is not to your liking.

Insuber
11-03-2007, 01:39 PM
Agreed. An estimate from IC would be the way to go. They must have some idea, they can't have open contract with Ubi or whomever. The road is not endless - they must have time frame as with any game project.
Let's face it, we hear from Maddox after a year and all we get a pic of an Italian bomber (not in game) and the obvious question is not answered. Customers deserve better treatment in my opinion.

Jagdwaffe,

I share your opinion and would appreciate some more visibility on release dates and works progress. Just a detail: the Italian bomber BR.20 will be part of the game, being one of the 75 BR.20's, part of the some 180 planes of the Italian expeditionary force (CAI) which fought in the BoB, alongwith CR.42, G50 and CANT Z1007 bis.

Regards,
Insuber

Tbag
11-03-2007, 03:18 PM
I remember an interview with Oleg at the fall 2006 and of course he was asked about the release date (http://www.simhq.com/_air8/air_265a.html).

Q: Is December 2007 a realistic release date?
A: I hope and I need.

That is one year ago and back then I thought they have to have a rough idea about the release date. Obviously it didn't work out (well, chrismas is still some weeks to go :lol: ) and if csThor tells that they are planning in quarters there is still a long way to go. I'm not surprised that they don't want to give one wrong estimate after the other and rather keep quiet.

Foo'bar
11-03-2007, 05:47 PM
I'm not surprised that they don't want to give one wrong estimate after the other and rather keep quiet.

Exactly!

BlitzPig_DDT
11-03-2007, 05:59 PM
I'm not surprised that they don't want to give one wrong estimate after the other and rather keep quiet.

Exactly!

Keeping quiet should be taken further. Work on the game and finish it in secrecy and with the luxury of low pressure, then just before release, go on a several month advertising blitz and release the game to everyones surprise and pleasure.

None of this waiting for info, updates, and release for 3 years nonsense.

Insuber
11-03-2007, 08:50 PM
None of this waiting for info, updates, and release for 3 years nonsense.

Given the complete lack of transparency we can only make hypotheses. Let's then suppose that the development underwent a stop (= blackout of news), and only recently restarted (=this forum and Oleg's heads-up), but still with uncertainties and aleas about resources (= no release date planned). Good news and bad news.

But this is only speculation ...

Regards,
Insuber

flick
11-04-2007, 07:04 PM
I bet that after Battle of Britain, 1CMaddox will release a chronologicaly motivated map and plane set and also update the existing BOB plane set to suit the advance in time that this will represent. The eventual result, a few years down the line will be a total war simulator Air, Ground and Sea.
That is why its taking so long to get to gold.

Chivas
11-05-2007, 01:50 AM
Good bet...Its not the reason BOB is late but...it is exactly what Oleg said he intended to do a few years ago. Hopefully if BOB is a financial success he will be able to keep feeding our hobby for years to come. One of the keys will be to prevent hackers/sim stealing downloaders.

SG1_Gunkan
11-05-2007, 08:20 AM
BoB is going to be not only a Air combat simulator, i think you will be able to use tanks, AAA or ships. IMHO this is the reason of the delay 8)

Monterey
11-05-2007, 02:36 PM
I highly doubt that is true.

tagTaken2
11-06-2007, 03:37 AM
It's the lack of info that makes me a bit twitchy... Oleg answering q's on this forum was a relief, but in the absence of a firmish date, a trickle of information or shots would be helpful.

BoB hasn't been too bad when compared to the rrgstudio effort. For all we know, everyone there could have died in a workplace accident.

BlitzPig_DDT
11-06-2007, 01:23 PM
It's the lack of info that makes me a bit twitchy... Oleg answering q's on this forum was a relief, but in the absence of a firmish date, a trickle of information or shots would be helpful.

BoB hasn't been too bad when compared to the rrgstudio effort. For all we know, everyone there could have died in a workplace accident.

And just think, if you had no clue it was ever being developed, you'd not be so anxious for, and worried about, updates. ;)

Makabi
11-06-2007, 08:19 PM
nope, you'd be wondering if IL-2 was considered dead by the developers, why they're being so quiet, and why the patch isn't out yet.

BlitzPig_DDT
11-07-2007, 01:25 PM
nope, you'd be wondering if IL-2 was considered dead by the developers, why they're being so quiet, and why the patch isn't out yet.

Not if they talked about the patch issues.

I mean really, people know that devs have other stuff going on. And in the mean time, there are other things to do - like play IL2, throw charts at each other in forum flame wars, play other games, date, work, house and vehicle maintenance... y'know, life goes on. Then one day.... "WOAH, new 5#1T!!!! :shock: I gotta get this!"

II./JG1_Krupinski
11-08-2007, 02:49 PM
Like I've said before, it wouldn't surprise me if Oleg and crew created the sound mod and released it to cause panic in this community, and have people so worried about flying with hackers, that they would all go and buy SoW. That way they would all feel "safe" again.

Kind of makes you wonder why the US and every 'other version' has encrypted SFS files, while the Russian version is not encrypted.

-Raven

mazex
11-08-2007, 06:14 PM
...and if csThor tells that they are planning in quarters there is still a long way to go.

Quarters? Hey, russians have five year plans remember? They missed the november 2006 plan (yup, that was the original date). That naturally leads to a release date of november 2011 so everyone stop whining and go somewhere else for a couple of years ;)

EDIT: In fact november 2006 is the only release date ever published (in may 2006):

"Today Ubisoft, one of the world’s largest video game publishers, announces Storm of War: Battle of Britain, to come in November 2006 for PCs worldwide. Storm of War: Battle of Britain is the first instalment in the new Storm of War franchise from award-winning developer Maddox Games. Ubisoft and Maddox games previously collaborated on the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik and Pacific Fighters games."

/Mazex

Lewicide
11-08-2007, 07:12 PM
Two Years

be sure :lol:

Vigilant
11-10-2007, 11:42 PM
Ok, so we don't know when SoW will be released. It's easier to accept that now it is being discussed. I think who were annoyed by the statements of some have probably got it out of their system now.

But please, Evgeny, would you consider moderating the title of this thread - as all it is going to do is perpetuate future arguments over what some people believe to be a release date, and the resulting superflous arguments that result.

I don't think you need that in this forum either, could I be right here?

Chivas
11-10-2007, 11:48 PM
sure no