PDA

View Full Version : New patch - Loosing power after takeoff?

misterv
04-24-2011, 11:18 AM
Hi all,

Now this may be a really stupid question. However I have just tried the game for the first time since new new patch.

I joined a MP game with "complex engine management" turned off, however I noticed that after I got my plane airborne after about 30 seconds my rpm dropped considerably. I tried both the spit and hurri and got the same result.

So I went offline and tried it in the quick mission editor again with complex engine management off and got the same thing.

Im sure I never got this before the latest patch. Am i missing somthing? or is anyone else noticed this.

kingpinda
04-24-2011, 11:58 AM
This was before patch as well.

The reason is that Because CEM is off. The plane at take off will start in Propellor pitch fine. To give most power for lift off. It will automatically switch to coarse while airborne. to give "top speed" ie using a automobile example: 5th gear in the air instead of 1st gear for takeoff.

Correct me if i'm wrong gentlemen, but I read some documents about planes that some should only use fine prop for take off and coarse during flight.

That may be why its the case that in the air its always coarse if the ai is handling this for you (CEM off)

some planes only have 2 settings. fine and coarse. some planes have increments of 1 percent.

Maybe its a bug maybe not. maybe they will implement something like need for speed that when your rpm falls to much it will return to fine or something.

The best way though is try and get used to CEM on! This way you can decide at what prop pitch you want to fly. you can start by disabling temperature and stuff but you may manually "shift gears" when you go in a dogfight or want to climb fast etc. these are cases you may want finer prop pitch. when you go cruise switch to coarse(r) or dive even.

edit: btw i havent tried latest patch yet but from what you tell me the most logical to me seems that it is the prop pitch switching. You will hear the proppellor noise switching from high pitch to lower pitch. If the prop pitch isnt changing please state that. It may be another issue.

misterv
04-24-2011, 01:04 PM
Thanks, i tried the spit again with CEM on and once i got the thing airborne it was better. now i just need to get used to it. i think i have the basics down but the plane either smokes like a pipe or shakes like crazy when i play with the mixture. :lol:

kingpinda
04-24-2011, 10:03 PM
Thanks, i tried the spit again with CEM on and once i got the thing airborne it was better. now i just need to get used to it. i think i have the basics down but the plane either smokes like a pipe or shakes like crazy when i play with the mixture. :lol:

There are 2 types of mixture controls on british planes.

The spitfire I think only has 2 settings. Auto rich and auto lean. Leave it at auto rich though. Fully forward. since the auto part of the function is not working.

with the mixture incremental at percentage: take off at 100 percent mix (Rich) when airborn if you see smoke. slowly decrease mix a bit till smoke is gone. What you could also do is open canopy look at exhaust flames. you want a nice steady blue flame (short).

Reddish is too rich and long blue is to lean.

The higher you go the leaner the mix needs to be.