PDA

View Full Version : Real experiences

Evgeny
10-25-2007, 05:30 AM
Hi, everybody, as I saw there, many of you drive (or drove) the real trucks. Please share some funny experiences that you (or some friends of yours) had on the road driving trucks. Waiting for your posts! :wink:

Bloodstar
10-25-2007, 09:11 AM
Heh, not so much of experience but my friend told me that when he drives truck in the morning he don't eat any breakfast just drive the truck and drink 1L Yoghurt. That's all till it's lunch time.

I will ask him some more when I meet him. He will be delighted to see Rig'n'Roll.

JOleg
10-25-2007, 12:05 PM
Hi,

Here's some "funny" experience... not my own - my dad's, who's a hardtrucker.

After a successful trip to Estonia, he headed towards Spain. There he unloaded his truck and took another cargo to deliver to Germany. After successful delivery to Germany he took yet another cargo and headed Spain again ... he didn't make it till Spain. All of a sudden he felt extremely bad and could not walk. That all happened in France. Just some passing by citizen noticed him and called an ambulance. They came fast to pick him up. Brought him to the hospital and did _some_ analysis. On the next day they said "You're Okay, you may leave today" and told him to pay 800 EUR !!! He did not have any insurance at that time. We immediately made him a high-risk insurance that same day he got out of the hospital. So he went out and continued his trip to Spain ... still feeling bad. After 5 days he made it to Spain and felt worse, and ended up in the hospital again! The local doctors said that the doctors in France were complete a$$holes to let him go in that condition... His lower blood pressure was 35 and he had internal bleeding which leaded to blood and plasma transfusion in Spain. Yes he has duodenal ulcer which got exacerbated :( And at this very moment, he's still in Spain in the hospital :(

Morale #1 - do not ever go on a trip without an insurance :roll:
Morale #2

Heh, not so much of experience but my friend told me that when he drives truck in the morning he don't eat any breakfast just drive the truck and drink 1L Yoghurt. That's all till it's lunch time.

- do not ever eat like that when you're on a trip! That was one of the causes of exacerbation. Eat well. Rest well. Care about yourself.

Oleg

ciypriyan
10-25-2007, 07:51 PM
i drive a Iveco Stralis 420 Hp . was coool . i have drive with 50km/h , 70MPH

doordie
10-28-2007, 04:49 AM
i have a real experience. it was a day with very heavy rain, and i got onto the freeway to try to get home. as I was speeding up while still in the on-ramp pocket a big rig passed me, splashing me with a shit load of water. suddenly my rear tires started skidding.. (doing a burnout) despite me doing 50mph in 4th gear! and having barely 150hp. :lol: it was funny. try to avoid being near a big truck during heavy rain.. especially behind one.

Bloodstar
10-28-2007, 08:14 AM
Hi,

Here's some "funny" experience... not my own - my dad's, who's a hardtrucker.

After a successful trip to Estonia, he headed towards Spain. There he unloaded his truck and took another cargo to deliver to Germany. After successful delivery to Germany he took yet another cargo and headed Spain again ... he didn't make it till Spain. All of a sudden he felt extremely bad and could not walk. That all happened in France. Just some passing by citizen noticed him and called an ambulance. They came fast to pick him up. Brought him to the hospital and did _some_ analysis. On the next day they said "You're Okay, you may leave today" and told him to pay 800 EUR !!! He did not have any insurance at that time. We immediately made him a high-risk insurance that same day he got out of the hospital. So he went out and continued his trip to Spain ... still feeling bad. After 5 days he made it to Spain and felt worse, and ended up in the hospital again! The local doctors said that the doctors in France were complete a$$holes to let him go in that condition... His lower blood pressure was 35 and he had internal bleeding which leaded to blood and plasma transfusion in Spain. Yes he has duodenal ulcer which got exacerbated :( And at this very moment, he's still in Spain in the hospital :(

Morale #1 - do not ever go on a trip without an insurance :roll:
Morale #2

- do not ever eat like that when you're on a trip! That was one of the causes of exacerbation. Eat well. Rest well. Care about yourself.

Oleg

Oleg, I am sorry for your father I hope that he will get well!!

Last advice is good but those distances that my friend passes are not very big and obviously he can do that. He eat well for lunch. I will ask him is he still doing this.

Kitaroija
10-28-2007, 12:10 PM
i have a real experience. it was a day with very heavy rain, and i got onto the freeway to try to get home. as I was speeding up while still in the on-ramp pocket a big rig passed me, splashing me with a shit load of water. suddenly my rear tires started skidding.. (doing a burnout) despite me doing 50mph in 4th gear! and having barely 150hp. :lol: it was funny. try to avoid being near a big truck during heavy rain.. especially behind one.

Lol, nice one

Though powersliding isn't called a burnout - burnouts are done from 0 mph

JOleg
10-28-2007, 02:04 PM
Oleg, I am sorry for your father I hope that he will get well!!

Last advice is good but those distances that my friend passes are not very big and obviously he can do that. He eat well for lunch. I will ask him is he still doing this.

Thanks pal, I too hope everything will be fine.
Yes I guess I misinterpreted that last point, I thought all he was eating was yoghurt which is why I pointed that out. Yet still, eating once a day is not good either, cause it's better to eat less but more often, rather than a lot but once a day... But anyway, just some food for thought.

Though powersliding isn't called a burnout - burnouts are done from 0 mph
I don't think he meant powersliding either. It's just that - a "burnout in action". Basically, wheels lost grip and started spinning with a faster speed than the car was rolling with. I say anything above or equal to 150 HP is okay :lol: :P

number9ark
10-30-2007, 01:56 PM
On I-40 heading west to san jose follow a carney convoy BSIN on the radio with them for several hours ,we roll up onto a state police interstate baricade and a atleast 20 car/truck accident .We was rerouted off the interstate onto a side highway thats prolly not been listed on any map for the last 45 years .
Im behind a Zipper truck huge cages that spin , we're BSin and complaining about the detour suddenly my windsheilds covered in cement dust and i cant see shit and i slap the brakes to crawl out and see 3 zipper baskets stuck into a train bridge and the carney truck haulin arsh away . I got onto the radio and shouted at em and ask em if he could come back to the bridge , he ask " what bridge " i said " the bridge you left that ride on" he said " SHIT" i seen tires start to smoke . carneys should never drive anything .. :roll:

doordie
10-31-2007, 02:40 AM
can anyone explain to me exactly what number9ark said? i'm not a trucker so i'm confused :?

and did anyone feel that rather large earthquake that hit 30 minutes ago in the san jose area?? they say its 5.6 magnitude.. some stuff fell off my bookshelf.. hope no one is hurt

GinXeng
10-31-2007, 03:01 AM
I'm about 250 miles away from there, I didn't feel anything

number9ark
11-02-2007, 11:33 PM
The truck infront of me hit a low bridge with a ride he was hauling to a fair ground , he didnt even relize he had hit the bridge and just kept going until I and a few other truck drivers informed him via the cb radio about what he had done .

KENWORTH
11-03-2007, 02:01 AM
i dont drive fast when it rain hard but i am good when it comes to driving trucks i drive a kw w900l 18spd 550hp

bakingcookies
11-04-2007, 09:03 PM
I don't find anything too funny really, most of my experiences have been pretty damn scary. Well, lots of fun times, but nothing funny in terms of events.

64Pacific
11-06-2007, 08:38 PM
I've got a couple similar ones for you:

Fellow trucker told me he was running up 7 mile hill in Northern British Columbia Canada, the hill is 7 miles of 8% grade, fairly straight. He was driving an International Transtar COE with an 18 speed road ranger. The co-driver and owner of this brand new truck was sleeping in the sleeper at the time. He started up the hill, and with the short throw on the stick he ended up missing a gear, and was unable to recover. The only option he had was to stop the truck (he was loaded), and start over. Tried it again and stalled the truck; the co-driver broke out laughing, adding to his frustration. again he tried it, made it to second gear, and when he went for 3rd, missed the gear and again had to stop, on the fourth go he just said forget it, and let the truck crawl up the hill in first gear, 45 minutes later they crested the hill with the co-driver laughing the whole way.

I have done the same thing only running empty and on a much smaller hill, missed a shift up to 5th and over (truck has an 8 and a 4 in it), ended up having to stop. I tried it again, but this time I got the rearends bouncing a little, so I had to let up on it and get on the clutch before I destroyed the rearends. By this time, about 10 cars had stopped behind me; this is probably the most traffic this road has ever seen. On the third go around I got it to move, but I couldn't get our of second gear if my life depended on it! Let me tell you, there were a lot of very annoyed drivers behind me!

JOleg
11-07-2007, 09:31 PM
What 64Pacific and his fellow trucker have experienced with those hills is so true. My dad has finally returned from Spain, after being on a trip for more than a month.

So, I have a story to tell, this time a funny one :wink:

Germany. Autobahn. The forest behind a fence all the way along the highway. You can barely find a place to stop the truck. Okay, my dad and his co-driver find one and stop. Then, as is casual in those districts, police appears from nowhere. So, having looked a side for a couple of seconds and then return his sight to the initial state, he saw police car already checking out some other vehicle. Okay, it was fine. My dad and his co-driver stepped out of the truck and were about to leave that place for while. The police noticed them and beckoned them. You really must not lie when they ask you questions there. For example, police asked whether they had any cigarettes. The reply was positive since the co-driver does smoke. But the trouble was, no more than 2 blocks of cigarettes could be on hands. So, they confescated the rest and took some 20 EUR as a fine. Then they did their job, asking documents and so on.

After my dad finished with them, he went looking for a toilet, handing the co-drivers documents (including Pase) into his own hands so that he showed them to the police while dad was away. After dad has returned, he asked whether all was okay, the co-driver replied positively. And so they continued their trip. My dad took the wheel.

While driving the highway, dad noticed police to his left as if peeping who was driving the truck and as if looking for someone. The sight of their eyes was connected for about 1 or so seconds. Then police headed faster straight forward. Dad thinking what that might mean has suddenly asked the co-driver:

Dad: "Where is your Pase!?!"
Co-driver: "You were supposed to have it"
Dad: "What tha?!? I handed that to you when I was leaving to search for a toilet!"
Co-driver: "o_O";
Dad: "S*** !!!";

That was some 3 or so KMs away from the police location. They could do nothing but stop. So they stopped and my dad told the co-driver to go back by feet and that dad would find a parking place somewhere ahead, and so that once he took his pase back, he went back looking for the truck. As has already been mentioned, there's not a lot of options to stop on a highway. So having driven ahead for 33 KMs he found some decent going right and a small parking place. Another problem arose - the co-driver would never find him there. Besides, it was late and dark. One thing which could help them was a small radio working within a 3-5 KM distance which the co-driver took with him.

My dad was forced to unhook the trailer leaving it unattended, and drive back to pick the negligent co-driver up. As been discovered later, the co-driver found the police and took his pase, and then police was driving with him looking for the truck with my dad! Obviously, after an unsuccessful attempt, they returned the co-driver to the same location where they picked him up but on the other side of the road. The co-driver did not even realize he was returned to the same location!

So then, my dad, driving slowly and using his radio to track down the co-driver finally heard his voice and so they found each other. And they went back to hook the trailer up again.

Needless to say, all of this took 3 hours to acomplish and litres of fuel were spent in vain.

:lol:

My dad's personal truck for those of you curious:

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/6493/001dr1.th.jpg (http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/6493/001dr1.jpg) http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/9273/002br9.th.jpg (http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/9273/002br9.jpg) http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/5180/003ik2.th.jpg (http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/5180/003ik2.jpg) http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/2743/004pi0.th.jpg (http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/2743/004pi0.jpg) http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/3968/005yl5.th.jpg (http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/3968/005yl5.jpg)

It's a brand new (0 miles ... well, recently was) DAF XF105 (EURO 5) 8)

Cheers,
Oleg

Flagman_20
11-07-2007, 09:45 PM
Well, defenentley a nice truck.
Funny story, but, i bet the co-driver wasn't pleased to walk all the way back :mrgreen:

JOleg
11-07-2007, 09:52 PM
:lol: well he didn't, he was even taken for a ride in a police car :mrgreen: Afterwards he was returned to his starting place and the co-driver waited for my dad there, of course he didn't go back 33 KMs :mrgreen:

doordie
11-14-2007, 05:58 AM
:mrgreen: http://youtube.com/watch?v=WPY4IQaK6dc funny :lol: