PDA

View Full Version : Random Scenario Generator !!!

lelumpolelum
10-14-2007, 05:42 PM
On start i'm sorry for my english, I never learn.
I just finished this fantastic game and I could play else and else.
So my question is: will 1CC leave the Random Scenario Editor? something like was in Heroes3AB.
Thanks all. Good Day:)

Traveler
12-30-2007, 12:43 AM
Great idea.

Skelos
12-30-2007, 10:49 AM
We have no plans for random scenario generator, but we have plans to release map editor ASAP.

robpost3
03-17-2008, 02:56 AM
random scenario generator would be a great boon to the game as far as longevity;)

Alex Mars
03-17-2008, 03:21 PM
I have never seen a random map generator that worked properly. Usually you end up with an unbalanced and unfair battle or war.

asadexes
03-17-2008, 04:40 PM
The Problem of this game is only that there is not a good support from developers, we had not an online lobby to play multiplayer games and we had to make one, we had not new maps or missions to play and we had to meake ourselfs,
Each time we ask for something they says no
I modded many games like Ground Control I and II from Massive Entertainment and the long life of this game was because of a living community helped by developers intrested on the continuolsly develop of their products with improvements and patches, made with the help of players.
Another exemple could be the Ironclad Team with his Sin of a Solar Empire that is making a new patch for his game each month listening the players opinions.
I think that this game has a potential long longevity ( this game could be the "Warhammer Fantasy Battle" of the PC ) but the developers are cutting it with a scarse support.
We need a multiplayer lobby online
an official Maps database
a Mod tool

the game need also thet people know the link to this forum, cause everywere a review speak about this game they send to an empty "official page" without news, forums or downloads.

DeathMutant
03-17-2008, 07:11 PM
I have never seen a random map generator that worked properly. Usually you end up with an unbalanced and unfair battle or war.

QFT.

Hrothgar
03-21-2008, 05:42 AM
I disagree. I've played Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic and Space Empires IV almost exclusively on random maps, and I think they both produce relatively fair maps. Certainly, if you play them often, any minor advantages will balance out.

And there's no doubt that random map generators add a great deal to the longevity of a game. Playing the same scenarios over and over--or ones you've designed, so that you know where everything is--gets boring quickly. I rarely buy a game that doesn't have this feature.

So, if the developers are listening, here's an enthusiastic vote for an RMG--please!

Alex Mars
03-22-2008, 01:16 AM
Well, I play a lot of AoW SM and the random map generator has never produced anything worthwhile. When we do use them for MP games we have someone who is not playing edit the random map to make it playable and fair for all sides. I'm pretty sure that the general opinion in the AoW community is that the RMG was a waste of time and resources.

The problem is compounded by the fact that the AoW SM AI is so bone stupid that if you don't build in defensive strategies and advantages for the AI controlled side the game is a cakewalk and easy to win when playing single player.

I'd rather the FW devs spent their time making a proper email game feature for this game.

BTW, if you need new maps for AoW SM check my site in my sig for maps or go to AoW Heaven, there are loads of new maps in the archive.

Hrothgar
04-03-2008, 02:49 PM
I disagree, Alex. I think with the proper adjustments, the RMG for AoW:SM produces decent, if not outstanding, maps for either MP or SP. In MP, the biggest unbalancer is the relative positioning of neutral cities for the players to seize. To correct this, all you have to do is select "no cities" in the setup, so that the only cities on the map are those built by the players. In my experience, this creates a fairly balanced game.

As for SP, the solution is the opposite. One of the AI's failings is that it does not construct new cities. Consequently, when I play vs the AI, I select "many cities" in the setup, and I do not build any new cities during the course of the game. So, the only cities available for either the AI players or myself are those that already exist on the map. This prevents me from overpowering the AI thru sheer production ability, and, along with a higher difficulty setting, makes for a more competitive game.

In Fantasy Wars, the AI seems quite well implemented. Tactically,it seems to make many fewer stupid moves than the AIs in most other games. I know from sad experience that, if I leave my leader exposed, the AI will exploit this and send enough units against my leader to kill it and end the game. So, I think it's possible that an RMG for Fantasy Wars might produce a challenging SP game. As for multiplayer, the lack of an economic, city-building aspect in Fantasy Wars means that all you really need from an RMG is a randomly created battlefield and the possibility to purchase your own army. This seems to be an easy thing to implement--altho, admittedly, I am not a programmer. Adding intermediate quest locations, to retrieve an artifact for example, would be nice, if they could be placed fairly, but this is not a necessity in order to produce a decent MP encounter.

robpost3
04-03-2008, 05:00 PM
the lack of an economic, city-building aspect in Fantasy Wars means that all you really need from an RMG is a randomly created battlefield and the possibility to purchase your own army.
agreed, it would be maybe a matter of the AI generating purchase based on difficulty level and against what the plyer chooses...
of course you could do something like:
head to head meeting be equal units.
defense stand being a 3 to 1 advatage for the attacker, etc.
anyway a Random Map Generater is still far better than not...

MisterBarca
04-03-2008, 08:08 PM
There is absolutely no excuse for not having a random map generator in a game of this nature--esp. when multiplayer gaming isn't well-supported.

This is just cheating customers.

MisterBarca
04-03-2008, 08:20 PM
There is absolutely no excuse for not having a random map generator in a game of this nature--esp. when multiplayer gaming isn't well-supported.

This is just cheating customers.

In particular, how can 1C not provide random map generator, if they expect loyal customers to continue to buy their future expansions? I just don't see the logic behind this. Does it really that so much resources to provide one?

Hertston
04-04-2008, 12:49 AM

The first 'excuse', not that I have anything to do with 1C, is that random map generators are much more difficult to code than used to be due to the nature of the graphics engines. Over the last couple of years, how many strategy games - including RTS ones if like - with anything like modern 3D engines HAVE included a random map generator?

The second is that I'm not at all sure such a generator is anyway near as necessary as you suggest. Personally, having played for while now, I feel no need for one at all and will most certainly buy the add-on regardless. A map editor/creator, yes.. indeed having originally (if unintentionally) got the Far Eastern version of the game I've just bought a Euro copy of FW as well just to get access to the editor. But games "of this nature" don't need random maps, they need well crafted ones. Maps that both play well delivering even (for MP) and challenging (for SP) chances, and look good. The classic maps for games like HoMM and AoW - the ones really worth playing - didn't get that way by chance.

robpost3
04-04-2008, 03:59 PM
The first 'excuse', not that I have anything to do with 1C, is that random map generators are much more difficult to code than used to be due to the nature of the graphics engines. Over the last couple of years, how many strategy games - including RTS ones if like - with anything like modern 3D engines HAVE included a random map generator?

The second is that I'm not at all sure such a generator is anyway near as necessary as you suggest. Personally, having played for while now, I feel no need for one at all and will most certainly buy the add-on regardless. A map editor/creator, yes.. indeed having originally (if unintentionally) got the Far Eastern version of the game I've just bought a Euro copy of FW as well just to get access to the editor. But games "of this nature" don't need random maps, they need well crafted ones. Maps that both play well delivering even (for MP) and challenging (for SP) chances, and look good. The classic maps for games like HoMM and AoW - the ones really worth playing - didn't get that way by chance.
very good point, I would rather see well crafted maps also...
I do hope all in all that campaign/map editors as well as add-ons exapnd this game, I am enjoying it emmensly!
Perhaps it is just a matter of community participation...:cool:

Alex Mars
04-05-2008, 02:23 AM
very good point, I would rather see well crafted maps also...
I do hope all in all that campaign/map editors as well as add-ons exapnd this game, I am enjoying it emmensly!
Perhaps it is just a matter of community participation...:cool:

More to the point, the game is new and we are dealing with a lack of documentation and version incompatibility problems. Once we move past these problems you'll see more maps.

Franbo
04-17-2008, 07:57 AM
Add my vote to therequest for a random map generator.

They may not be perfect, but a decent one can be eminently playable and enhances the longevity of the game significantly IMO.

Franbo

Magog
04-17-2008, 04:41 PM
I'm no game developer, but shouldn't it be quite easy to code an rmg for this game? The game rules are much more simple than for example AoW:SM, and there's no resource gathering, tech development or city building. So balancing shouldn't be too hard right?

And then we have the editor that can generate a 3D map based on a 2D template, which will be very useful technology for an rmg....

Harneloot
04-18-2008, 03:05 AM
well, we ceratainly need SOMETHING - a random generator, numerous expansions and/or fan created maps.....otherwise, a great game will have little replay value!!!

Alex Mars
04-19-2008, 06:31 PM
well, we ceratainly need SOMETHING - a random generator, numerous expansions and/or fan created maps.....otherwise, a great game will have little replay value!!!

There is already an expansion or sequel out behind the Iron Curtain, just have to wait for it to escape to the West. I think that there are 3 more planned as well.

robpost3
04-21-2008, 03:24 AM
waiting with bated breath...:o