PDA

View Full Version : IL2 End of Life

SFM-SPIT
10-11-2007, 10:43 AM
:D
Hi all

It's a real good idea to make this board in 1C domain and for IL2.. in fact mostly now for BoB.

One thing seem to be a bit strange, we all discuss around IL2 as it will be the sim of the next decade :) Certainly because we are all great fans of IL2 series.

Certainly IL2 fans with lighter hardware, or those wanting to fly on Yak or others "exotic" planes will continue to use IL2.. But for One year after BoB release certainly not more.. I hope this, if not there's a problem with BoB.. and i think it's not possible..

Once we assume this fact, what can be added to IL2?

I think most of the wish we made can be usefull for BoB but as the 4.09 is considered as the last patch :wink: except if other are planned the last chance to add or modify an IL2 features is now.. or never ( old song)

Maybe the name of forum will evolve in SoW:BoB & IL2 series ?

Dozer_EAF19
10-11-2007, 04:59 PM
Stop trying to put Il-2 into a coffin, it's still very alive! :wink: And will be for years...

There's no recent information released about SoW. For all we know it might never be released (I think it will be released though). Il-2 certainly has months, maybe years, of being Number 1 WW2 Sim before SoW is released. After SoW is released, Il-2 will still be the best sim for all the stuff which isn't in SoW - Eastern Front, Africa, Pacific, everything late-war...

I think a lot of people will have both SoW and Il-2 installed on their computers for a very long time. SoW for Battle of Britain (and then other early-war European/Mediterranean theatres), and Il-2 for everything else.

RockStar
10-11-2007, 06:30 PM
+1
IL2 will live on for some time IMO.

Chivas
10-12-2007, 12:01 AM
I'm sure the IL-2 series will be played by some for years, but once I fly the next benchmark in combat flight sims it will be hard to go back to IL-2. Along with the usuall combat mission in the Battle of Britain you will be able to fly ground attack mission on trains, shipyards,etc in France. By the time I start getting bored with BOB, the MED will appear and so on thru the complete SOW series.

Its all good. :D

DKoor
10-12-2007, 12:09 AM
I'm sure the IL-2 series will be played by some for yearsYeah........especially if no one in the meantime provides PZL P.11, I-153, I-16 etc. if you guys catch my drift.

There are some of these planes out at the moment, just the games that they are in aren't comparable to IL-2.

striker85
10-12-2007, 02:26 AM
Until SOW implements the PTO IL-2 will still be in very heavy rotation among my game time.

heywooood
10-12-2007, 03:42 AM
yeah - thats my opinion also...as well as that errmm thing about smooth running on an older rig. Until I can afford SoW running like glass - I will be flying Il2 '46 fairly often

The PTO is the key..that release will precipitate a major purchase on my part

SFM-SPIT
10-12-2007, 06:44 AM
:) Hi All
I don't think IL2 is dead and i will play it certainly long time after BoB Realease. Bu it"s his end of life

But i'm not sure there is many more improvment for IL2 in future..

Except if anyone buy a licence .. or iw put in charge to follow further development

So every wish we made here are certainly more adequate for BoB than for IL2..

All your answer seem you're not ready quit IL2.. As me.

bigbossmalone
10-12-2007, 09:07 AM
IL2 is dead? LONG LIVE IL2!!!
:D :D
As sad as this may make me appear, I have now been into IL2 longer than my longest relationship with a lady - that was 6 years, IL2 now almost 7 years...
Food for thought...or just plain sad?
:shock:

SFM-SPIT
10-12-2007, 10:58 AM
:D

Teach her how to fly .. as wingwomen.. may be you can keep your girlfriend :P

Rule for intensive sim practice.. Chose the right girl!!!

kristorf
10-12-2007, 02:02 PM
Even when SOW is released I feel many will come back/still fly this sim due to the massive range of A/C and theatres on offer, I know I will.

crazyivan1970
10-12-2007, 04:46 PM
Even when SOW is released I feel many will come back/still fly this sim due to the massive range of A/C and theatres on offer, I know I will.

Very true... IL-2 Will stick around for a while. For me, probably till introduction of Eastern Front...

Sturm_Williger
10-12-2007, 06:00 PM

Very true... IL-2 Will stick around for a while. For me, probably till introduction of Eastern Front...

What they both said :D

DKoor
10-12-2007, 06:28 PM

Very true... IL-2 Will stick around for a while. For me, probably till introduction of Eastern Front...Yes, yes.....just it'll die long before you both think at this rate of hack-tarding around the game.

Its virtual online life is already dead.

Unless you have some masochistic wishes to be owned by P.11c while in G2 at 550km/h...... or............ something.

No?

But looks at it from the bright side: we still have a lot of campaigns and all kinds of funny stuff to do offline.
That is if anyone here is really interested in that.

carguy_
10-12-2007, 08:47 PM
I must bring you bad news.IL2 will still live because of sheer number of flyable planes.Quantity maybe is not a quality of its own but you know as much as anybody else that it is hard to imagine that BoB will be THAT good, to kill IL2.

As for me, the game is not leaving the HDD until the Gustav and his opponents come into SOW.

Triad773
10-12-2007, 09:27 PM
I could imagine that IL-2 will survive among squads using IP-to-IP networking without HL: takes the guesswork out of who shows up and limits it to people who are invited. It will certainly have a life on my LAN. I got the game some time ago for a friend's son, but then it turned out their machine could not handle it, so it went on an old machine of mine that is Athlon instead of Celeron that they had 8)

Not sure if I will ever fly all the flyables before BoB comes out, but its one of the very cool aspects of the game that keeps my interest :D

Cheers

Triad

Chivas
10-12-2007, 10:43 PM
I wouldn't worry to much about the game being hacked to death just yet. I hear that the 4.09 patch has more security against the current sound and FM hacks.

I really believe that if Oleg can pull off all the features planned for BOB SOW at a playable frame rate it will make a very second class citizen out of the IL-2 series. The immersion level will be so high that going back to IL-2 will be like going back to playing Pong. :wink:

carguy_
10-12-2007, 10:54 PM
The immersion level will be so high that going back to IL-2 will be like going back to playing Pong. :wink:

User-dependant really.No matter how you put it, all games are valued by the 'gameplay' factor. "1946" gameplay is at a massively unusual rate for a PC game.IMO it shares the same amount of gameplay with the greatest games in PC history.SOW will take some time to surpass it if it ever gets released.

I might be a hardcore offline GTR2 player but I often go back to "NFS V:Porsche Unleashed" for a reason.

DKoor
10-12-2007, 11:42 PM
We have to see to believe.
I believe that is a correct sentence when Maddox Games are in question.

The way I see it, sow of war will be followed by several dedicated scenarios such is BoF, Balkans & Greece etc.

RegRag1977
10-16-2007, 12:27 AM
Some people are really in love with some aircrafts: so i guess that as long as they will not see them in the new sim, they will stay with IL2.

Belonging to a squad will probably also be a decisive factor to stick with IL2, not talking about the price of a new rig able to run BOB...

FW: :twisted:

No FW: :cry:

linus
10-16-2007, 05:40 AM
I would love a Korean war expansion.

We already have a large part of the needed A/C

Just need to add a few more.

The MiG-15, and Yak -17
F-86. F3D, F-2H. AD-1's
If Grumman still does not want to release their birds, cut them out all together. so no F-7F, F-9F
Seafuries, Hornets, Fireflys, Meteors

Triad773
10-16-2007, 05:52 AM
I would love a Korean war expansion.

We already have a large part of the needed A/C

Just need to add a few more.

The MiG-15, and Yak -17
F-86. F3D, F-2H. AD-1's
If Grumman still does not want to release their birds, cut them out all together. so no F-7F, F-9F
Seafuries, Hornets, Fireflys, Meteors

We will when we will :D

I have no doubt- in any event, we will not be disappointed 8) And I'd believe that.

DKoor
10-16-2007, 12:00 PM
Korea?
Be sure!

http://www.rrgstudios.com/img/UNK/logo2.jpg

Bearcat
10-16-2007, 01:23 PM
I'll be flying IL2 regularly at least until I can fly a P-51 under the SoW FMs... which may be .. what @ 3 or 4 years?

FlatSpinMan
10-16-2007, 01:54 PM
I love the early war stuff but having the option to change wil keep me in IL2. That plus the massive range of maps, aircraft, objects. SOW:BOB would have to be like FSX with combat all rendered in smooth framerates to get IL2 off my HD.
Now is that so much to ask?
I would enjoy making a campaign using the objects that I have seen from the development shots of BOb though. I'd just get lost in the FMB i think, looking at all the details.

tagTaken2
10-16-2007, 02:03 PM
I'll be flying IL2 regularly at least until I can fly a P-51 under the SoW FMs... which may be .. what @ 3 or 4 years?

What about the rrgstudio expansion [mooted Korea]?

That should have an F-51, and hopefully should be less than 3 years to arrive. :)

Haigotron
10-16-2007, 02:53 PM
IL-2 Sturmovik: Happily dying since 2001

It has an incredible lenght, breadth and depth, it still has alot of time, alot!

1.JaVA_Platypus
10-16-2007, 08:46 PM
What about the rrgstudio expansion [mooted Korea]?

That should have an F-51, and hopefully should be less than 3 years to arrive. :)

Is that expansion not meant for Bob?

DKoor
10-16-2007, 08:50 PM
It's for SoW not BoB :D

tagTaken2
10-16-2007, 11:05 PM
Storm of War engined, but separate game. Don't know if it will be like Pacific Fighters, where you can merge, and fly Spit against MiG- Spit would still pwn, be sure.
Don't know anything much about it really. If it wasn't for a couple of leaked screens, would be thinking vapourware by now.

DKoor
10-17-2007, 12:09 PM
Storm of War engined, but separate game. Don't know if it will be like Pacific Fighters, where you can merge, and fly Spit against MiG- Spit would still pwn, be sure.
Don't know anything much about it really. If it wasn't for a couple of leaked screens, would be thinking vapourware by now.+100