PDA

View Full Version : More immersive campaign in the future?

BernieBrown
04-04-2011, 01:58 PM
i already love this game. but its like a fresh found gem that needs a lot of work and polish...

the current campaign has its moments and some stories from actual ww2-vets put some entertaining history to it. but to be honest overall its simply not a next gen. campaign what you would expect now a days!

shure thing 1C needs to focus on much more urgent stuff. and there will be no dynamic campaign by 1C as informed b4.

so i'd like to list some features i hope 1C or the mod.community will come up with in the future.

career screen with extensive stats, rank and medals based on performance
mini-careers, story and interaction with AI wing-men
hangar with personal 3D plane that shows the damage from the mission and skin changing option increasing by rank
repairs and ammo loadout variants based on a pointsystem, rank or squadron etc.
briefing room with mission map and intel on enemy, interactive commander
Uniform, pilot suit and other "unlocks" during the career
Kills displayed on personal plane

i totally understand that this sort of arccadish rpg campaign features are no priority at all. but you can figure out that this will also attract more buyers in the end and should be a feature of a next gen. simulation.

feel free to post any features you'd like to see in a future campaign upgrade, expansion, DLC or community mod.

csThor
04-04-2011, 02:24 PM
I'm afraid that won't happen. Unless Luthier appears and gives me a slap for telling utter BS I don't think Maddox Games has the capacities or the "correct mindset" to produce a campaign that is comparable in immersion with the one we saw in Red Baron 3D so many years ago.

It seems that all russian sim developers are totally blind on the gameplay eye since all their products to date have grossly negated the immersive campaign part. Even the recently announced campaign update to Rise of Flight seems to be the result of western perspective by 777 Studios. I bet without them no such project would have been started ... :(

BernieBrown
04-04-2011, 03:00 PM
good point.

im hoping that the announced new campaign to Rise of Flight by 777 might give 1C some inspiration. ;)

i guess that 777 putting time into a improved campaign is a result of its community asking frequently for it. maybe this can happen here as well? or at least 1C can provide the tools for the modders to create something in this direction.

imagine CoD polished and performing well with a immersive campaign! wow

im aware that CoD is a "hardcore" flightsim with the focus on realistic flight models rather than a extensive immersive campaign.
but if they manage to bring both together sooner or later CoD could go down as the best ww2 flight sim in history. atm. its only half way at most ;)

Bewolf
04-04-2011, 09:21 PM
AFAIK the Sim is open enough for modders to have a go at it. After action logs are provided by the engine with all necessary data involved to feed a campaign generator. If I remember right, something comparable was done for the original IL2 (Loewengrins campaign generator?) and then even later on implemented into the game itself by Maddox Games.

I give it 2 or 3 years until we see something similar in CoD, though.

ParaB
04-04-2011, 10:21 PM
csThor: since the earliest days of IL2 it was apparent that Oleg&crew were excellent programmers and technicians, but lousy story-tellers. One look at the GUI of the IL2 series alone shows what I mean. Or the map window in CoD... horrible. These guys obviously are extremely talented coders, but they have absolutely no frigging clue what immersion means. Oh, and the guy who did the "music" fro CoD, and I use that term very cautiously, should be shot. Sorry.

BernieBrown
04-05-2011, 07:39 AM
ParaB your last sentence is very rude. critisim is needed but not with the term u used. at least your sorry for it :)

i totally understand the frustration about the music. i was like "hello?" as well...
it wouldnt take much to use anything better, well it would cost a little. there is soo much good music out there, search needed. maybe try to get a licence to use the original score of "battle over britan" that would leave a lot of us stoked as hell ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HLvz2c8SnQ

making a more complex catching campaign is one thing that needs some good ideas and more ressources.
but this first release could be soo much more immersive already if they used better music and sound!

scissorss
04-05-2011, 07:52 AM
I just want to hop out of my plane after landing and walk around it in a simple first person mode. I find myself taxiing all over the airfields to see whats going on :P

BernieBrown
04-05-2011, 08:33 AM
that would be owesome to be able to inspect your plane in 3d first person view. walk about the airfield.
- go to the briefing room for the next mission
- go to the hangar to talk to the technician
- go to the chairs and smoke a cigar and pet the dog :)
- go and man the AA guns if you are too late to scramble on alert
- go to the pub and have a beer and get cheers from other pilots (only open after a victory!) :)
- all this in a "smart" campaign. so if you linger to long at the airfield you'll get attacked by fighters or bombers.

you can take that even further being able to steer your pilot on the ground in general. e.g. after parachuting you need to find a town or road to rotate back. on enemy ground you need to find resistance points, but if you get close to a enemy vehicle you'll be POW. then once POW random possibility in time to escape and continue the campaign.
(1. 2D screen "You have been captured", 2. 2D screen "You managed to escape and contact the resistance")

ohh man keep on dreaming!

BernieBrown
04-05-2011, 08:52 AM
I just want to hop out of my plane after landing and walk around it in a simple first person mode. I find myself taxiing all over the airfields to see whats going on :P

you might wanna be able to hop into a jeep. otherwise you walk a while ;)

ParaB
04-05-2011, 11:49 AM
I wasn't too serious, maybe shoud've added a smilie. ;) Let's substitute "shot" with "flogged with a wet towel". ^^

BernieBrown
04-05-2011, 12:08 PM
I wasn't too serious, maybe shoud've added a smilie. ;) Let's substitute "shot" with "flogged with a wet towel". ^^

lol much better!

1.JaVA_Sharp
04-05-2011, 02:18 PM
a more immersive campaign would be interesting indeed. The first thing I'm really hoping for though is a somewhat longer campaign! 15 RAF missions is, rather short if you ask me.

Cpt_Farrel
04-05-2011, 08:20 PM
Regarding the music, that's "Bomben Auf England" which was the Nazi "themesong" for the Battle of Britain, I don't know whether it was Rall or Galland who said that the pilots hated it from the start so you're not the first :)

matsher
04-05-2011, 09:12 PM
Yeah, just simple stuff it doesn't have to be like a Black Ops cut-scene.
Just simple and engaging, ya know, just to build a little suspense and anticipation...

Like starting the RAF campaign with a single camera panning through the airfield at eye height while a "Real" Voice Over introduces the character and a little bit of his back story.
No need for animations at all

The camera can start at the door of the HQ building with the VO talking about his first encounter with the CO,
"After only being here a few moments I feel welcomed. Part of a special family. The CO was stressed and distracted
but a warm soul, making the time to walk around the desk to give me a hardy back slap. He was clearly impressed
by my flight training records and ended our brief meeting by saying that for an able new flyer such as myself he
had reserved as special plane that reflected my promise. What a nice man...
He has sent me directly to the hangers to meet my crew and inspect my new bird... etc etc "

Camera walks through the base (see signs of base life) while VO is speaking till we reach the hanger doors.

Camera flows to the hanger entrance and we see a spanky new shiny Spitfire.
VO: "Woooah"

From off-screen we hear sounds of spanners,
banging, muttered swearing and pieces of metal falling to the floor

Camera pans to the source of the racket which is coming from a darkened corner of the hanger. Camera start moving toward the noise....
Revealing in the corner a clapped out old hurricane, with bullet holes, rudder missing, cowling off and prop damaged...
There is a guy lying underneath the plane. He is clearly the source of all the noise...

The work noises stop and we hear the 2nd VO, "Top of the mornin' to ya shithead, are you our new flyer?"

VO "Well, um... Yes. Actually I am."

Second VO, "Well now... Welcome to xxx squadron, this ones yours."

Bring up the campaign/mission/briefing load screen...

Not a single pre-rendered animation in the whole scene. There is no need for big man power to make flashy cut scenes. It just takes some thought on how to use the tools at hand,
Good scripting and good Voice Overs. Both of which we have in the IL2 community.

I would love to work on story building scripts for inbetween missions. Most of the time
you don't even need graphics to go with them. Arual imerssion can be even more striking than visual, if written well.

1.JaVA_Sharp
04-05-2011, 09:53 PM
I would love to work on story building scripts for inbetween missions. Most of the time
you don't even need graphics to go with them. Arual imerssion can be even more striking than visual, if written well.

Considering the current state of COD that's just about the only feasible thing. and yes, I'd like to try my hand at those things as well.