PDA

View Full Version : Perforated Radiator

VBF-12_Gosling
04-02-2011, 11:06 AM
Hi Chaps

I am trying to fly the Spit or Hurricane and within about 2 mins of flying always get a perforated radiator that lead to overheating and engine failure - Does anyone know why that might be happening.

I am starting the aircraft using the pilots notes.

Gosling
Lt RN
VBF-12

Strike
04-02-2011, 11:53 AM
you make sure you keep the water radiator at 50-70% open and don't fly full throttle 24/7.

The radiator is one of those things that can burst if you cook it.

VBF-12_Gosling
04-02-2011, 12:37 PM
Well this morning I was taxiing out in the hurricane (Training - Solo Flight ) with the radiator fully open ( lever up ) and the radiator burst anyway!

Gos

Moggy
04-02-2011, 01:59 PM
It sounds like you may have leaned your mixture too much and then throttled up. The rich position (according to the Hurri Mk.I pilot notes) is set back, if you push the mixture lever forward you will lean the mixture.
The exact words of the pilot notes are;

The mixture control lever is returned to the "Rich" position by the closing movement of the throttle control lever.

Try that and see if it helps.

Also, do you mean the lever up in the little gauges panel or do you mean the lever up on the radiator flap control (this needs to be down to be open) in the cockpit itself?

Buzpilot
04-02-2011, 02:20 PM
Well this morning I was taxiing out in the hurricane (Training - Solo Flight ) with the radiator fully open ( lever up ) and the radiator burst anyway!

Gos

The Radiator indicator is reversed, the one on screen is closed in upper position.
Better to check indicator inside cockpit (Hurricane)

No145_Hatter
04-02-2011, 02:27 PM
FLASH, it's Gosling.

VBF-12_Gosling
04-04-2011, 12:58 PM
Gents

Thanks so much. Yet to try these out. Okay, I am talking about the handbrake style lever on the left of the pilots seat ( opposite to the seat raising lever on the right ). So, lever fully up is closed, didn't know that! Also I have yet to spot the radiator flap indicator in the Hurricane. Finally, I understand from your posts that Rich is fully aft in the Hurricane.

That would do it, I have therefore been taxiing with rad closed and Mix lean, what a dumb a***.

Hi Hatter, yes it's me. All the best to TP and especially IJ ( can't remember his callsgn ). His pacific and general FAA work has been outstanding. When I can get the server side working I intend to get RNAS Ford (HMS Peregrine) up and running with Moth's, Gladiator (Sort of Sea Gladiator), Spits and Hurricanes. Doubt we will see Fulmar, Rock or Skua at all, or at least for many years.

Gos

ftl818
10-30-2011, 09:10 AM
Yes, I have the same problem with the radiator.

In my case it also happened while flying high with a water temperature BELOW 100C.

Anyhow this damage modeling is totally WRONG. Please look at the FSX A2A accusim spitfire, there you find what really should happen. The merlin engine installation simply included a overpressure valve. So NO bursting but a stream of steam that you indeed can see coming from the right side of the cowling.

Realism is getting better but COD has still a long way to go...

Paul
SF25 RPL-TMG/RT EHHV