PDA

View Full Version : did german pilots fight with flaps?

David198502
04-02-2011, 10:15 AM
ok im sure i will find this question pretty soon answered,as i know that many members of this forum have a real knowledge about WWII aereal combat.
easy question:did german pilots use the flaps in the bf's during fights??or only to land?im asking cause my joystick almost reached its limit of hatswitches,and if i will not need the flaps to fight with the bf, than i can leave the flaps somewhere else like on the keyboard.thx for your knowledge in advance.:)

bongodriver
04-02-2011, 10:19 AM
as far as I know only the americans had a few aircraft with a combat flap setting

Sven
04-02-2011, 01:10 PM
It was possible, but most pilots didn't use them as far as I know, most BF pilots didn't bother using take-off flaps, it is not something you will constantly need so yes I'd map it to your keyboard.

If you try your luck on a spitfire in a turning fight you'd might take advantage of lowering the flaps a little, but it's inadvisable to end up in such situation;)

David198502
04-02-2011, 02:32 PM
It was possible, but most pilots didn't use them as far as I know, most BF pilots didn't bother using take-off flaps, it is not something you will constantly need so yes I'd map it to your keyboard.

If you try your luck on a spitfire in a turning fight you'd might take advantage of lowering the flaps a little, but it's inadvisable to end up in such situation;)

:)yeah i already recognized in il2 1946 that its a pretty bad idea to turn with a spit in a bf109.