PDA

View Full Version : Unable to sart Tiger Moth LOL!

angrueo
04-02-2011, 09:13 AM
I feel a bit embarrassed asking this, and it may seem a silly question, but... how do I start a tiger moth?:grin:

No problem at all with hurri, spitfire or 109, but tiger moth simply won't start!

First, I switch fuel valve on, second, turn on mags, throttle to zero and mixture to rich. Then, contact... the engine spins a bit and... suddenly stops.
What am I doing wrong?

Thank you!

bongodriver
04-02-2011, 09:27 AM
I never got a real tiger moth to start on the first swing, maybe you nee to keep at it.......dont forget the tiger moth never had electric start, the prop was swung by hand by a ground crew.

angrueo
04-02-2011, 09:42 AM
Ok! I didn't know that. I'll keep on trying.

Thank you.

Skoshi Tiger
04-02-2011, 12:50 PM
Are you sure your turning the mags on?
When I've been doing the cross-country mission changing the aircraft to a Tiger Moth, all I've been doing is turning on fuel, cracking the trottle open abit and hitting the 'I' key.

For me it's been starting fairly easily.

Cheers!

angrueo
04-02-2011, 09:56 PM
Well, I believe that I'm overlooking something very stupid. I'll try your approach.

Thank you very much!

angrueo
04-02-2011, 10:01 PM
Done!:grin:

I tried without touching the mags and it worked. So now, I can crash my tiger moth on Buckingham Palace.

See you over England!

Skoshi Tiger
04-03-2011, 01:08 AM
Done!:grin:

I tried without touching the mags and it worked. So now, I can crash my tiger moth on Buckingham Palace.

See you over England!

At 80 miles an hour I doubt you'll even wake up King George!

bongodriver
04-03-2011, 09:58 AM
At 80 miles an hour I doubt you'll even wake up King George!

i used to fly a modified Tiger Moth which had a 130 h.p. chipmunk engine tailwheel and brakes, that thing flew at 100 kts in the cruise....it was awesome:grin:

xnomad
06-14-2011, 10:36 AM
I'm resurrecting this old thread because I've got the same problem.

I can't start the bloody thing! I've tried every throttle and mixture setting and she just doesn't start. I've followed the You Tube video instructions and they don't help. Was it broken in the last patch and nobody has noticed?

Can you start the Tiggie with CEM on? Don't cheat and use AI like I had to?

VO101_Tom
06-14-2011, 11:43 AM

I can't start the bloody thing! I've tried every throttle and mixture setting and she just doesn't start. I've followed the You Tube video instructions and they don't help. Was it broken in the last patch and nobody has noticed?

I tried it now, 7% throttle when u start the engine. U have to wait a lot of time, untill the engine warm up (dont push -or pull- more throttle). But its work. Increase the rpm carefully (1-2%), when rpm fall, stop the throttle. Wait a little, then increase rmp again. You will hear, when the engine ready to take off (engine oil pressure will increase fast).

edit: better if u create new info window, engine info set "digital".

xnomad
06-15-2011, 08:19 AM
Hey thanks Tom. The digital settings told me what was wrong. My throttle had lost calibration and the lowest setting was 16%.

That's why I couldn't start the blasted thing. Oddly enough I was able to start other aircraft with the same settings. :)

VO101_Tom
06-15-2011, 05:46 PM
Hey thanks Tom. The digital settings told me what was wrong. My throttle had lost calibration and the lowest setting was 16%.

That's why I couldn't start the blasted thing. Oddly enough I was able to start other aircraft with the same settings. :)

Im using both setups. Digital is accurate, but ugly :)

vincent_dimicco
02-26-2012, 12:37 PM

i have also this problem...i watched youtube videos, i downloaded checklist...i am doing everything....i open the fuel cock...start both the magnetos, opening throttle and mixture a bit and then hitting i....the propeller spin some times but then suddenly it stops :confused:

RazzyMan
02-26-2012, 02:27 PM
I find that I have to throw the fuel cock in the front seat position as well as the back seat position.

Then it is beautifull! :razz:

RazzyMan
02-26-2012, 02:29 PM
I think that might also throw you into AI mode as well if in the wrong sequence?? I'll explore this a bit more now I've said that! :razz: