PDA

View Full Version : Graphics Problem

jlutes
10-06-2007, 02:15 AM
Hi, I downloaded the demo due to good word of mouth, but the terrain textures are so messed up (and unit graphics sometimes missing) that the game is unplayable. My video card is a geForce FX 5200, which I know is sadly out of date, but I was hoping that it would run a turn-based game since it runs Civ IV and even Company of Heroes perfectly well. My drivers are fully updated.

I very much want to support a developer who has put what appears to be a lot of care and effort into a new turn-based fantasy wargame (my favorite genre), and I would buy Fantasy Wars without hesitation if I knew it would work with my video card. Am I just out of luck?

Dukelord
10-07-2007, 03:23 PM
Dude...if you can run Company of Heroes well then you ought t be able to run this game...do you have the latest video drivers and DirectX drivers? Or is your graphic card becoming bad

jlutes
10-07-2007, 06:21 PM
All of my video and DirectX drivers are up to date. My guess is that the game uses some fancy graphics stuff that only newer cards support. A lot of games allow you to turn off a bunch of that stuff in options, but FW doesn't.

Here's what the terrain looks like on the first goblin mission:

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/5662/fwdemogh0.th.jpg (http://img216.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fwdemogh0.jpg)

Also, when you mouse over a unit, everything but the GUI goes completely black.

I'm sure there's nothing to be done. I'm just disappointed I won't be able to play the game.

lparkh
10-07-2007, 06:33 PM
find your directx app and try turning off and on various settings. good luck.
There is a tiny chance that the other demo problem (needing the microsoft sdk that referred to earlier in 'what think of game' might help. the demo is buggier then main game)
Also if you like hex based games like this look up panzer general 2 community. Lots of historicla campaigns in same game style as this game

jlutes
10-07-2007, 07:50 PM
Thanks, I've played all of the 5-star games (PG I, PG II, etc. etc.) including Fantasy General, which is a big reason why FW appeals to me. I'll see what I can do by fiddling with DirectX.

lparkh
10-08-2007, 03:39 AM
Are you aware there are ongoing mod efforts to create 100's of new campaigns. Many very high quality for PG2.
As for FW. Quite high quality so far and AI is better then I expected as I start to see it do hit and run tactics etc.

Evgeny
10-08-2007, 05:49 AM
Well, try to write to our support team (support at 1cpublishing.eu).