PDA

View Full Version : Attack unit located in a river hex

Gorguss
10-05-2007, 10:08 AM
In these example unit A is located in a plain hex and unit B is located in a river hex.

Unit A has attack 10 and modifiers 0 in plain hex, -8 in river hex
Unit B has defence 10 and modifiers 0 in plain hex -8 in river hex

1. Unit A attacks unit B
Does unit A attack with strength 10 or 2?
And when unit B retaliates, is this based on its attack value in the river hex?

2. Unit B attacks unit A
Does unit B attack with a strength 10 or 2? Considering the attacked hex is plain.

Guardian
10-05-2007, 10:22 AM
If I understand correctly, unit A has normal statistics, while unit B, being on a river hex has severe penalty to its defence (unless it has some river-friendly perks). When unit B retaliates nothing really changes, B still has defence penalty, not attack, so it will attack with normal strength, but when unit A retaliate it will inflict more damage, because unit B is still on the river hex and still has negative modifiers to defence.

..Unless that how it worked in Fantasy General and works here for me atm, if anyone knows better please share Your knowledge :]

bers
10-05-2007, 10:33 AM
1. In this example unit A is located in a plain hex and unit B is located in a river hex.

Unit A has attack 10 and -8 in river hex
Unit B has defence 10 and -8 in river hex

Does unit A attack with strength 10 or 2?
And when unit B retaliates, is this based on the defence or attack value?

Attack and defence modifiers applied by battle roles.

Melee unit A has attack 10 and -7 in river hex, defence 14 and -9 in river hex.
Melee unit B has attack 12 and -8 in river hex, defence 16 and -10 in river hex.

A -> B:
Melee A / B: (10 - 7) / (16 - 10)
Melee B / A: (12 - 10) / (14 - 7)

Guardian
10-05-2007, 12:30 PM
Wow, You got me confused. So basically, if unit A (plains) will attack unit B (river) it means that for the time of combat they are BOTH on the river hex?

bers
10-05-2007, 12:42 PM
Wow, You got me confused. So basically, if unit A (plains) will attack unit B (river) it means that for the time of combat they are BOTH on the river hex?

Yes, but only for melee attacks

Guardian
10-05-2007, 12:50 PM
Thank You bers, good to see someone experienced here, so if it's for melee only I won't get river penalty while using archers or skirmishers. What about charge? And if air unit attacks river with melee, does it get penalty too? I mean, it's a flyer, so river or not it shouldn't make a difference, right?

bers
10-05-2007, 01:45 PM
Thank You bers, good to see someone experienced here, so if it's for melee only I won't get river penalty while using archers or skirmishers.

Only if archers aren't in a river :roll:
For melee units it uses target hex penalties and for archers use source hex

What about charge? Melee and charge are melee attacks.

And if air unit attacks river with melee, does it get penalty too?I mean, it's a flyer, so river or not it shouldn't make a difference, right?

right

Blackhawk
10-05-2007, 02:16 PM

Yes, the modifiers are based on the terrain of the hex that the defender is in. The modifiers are applied to defense and offense, but there are 2 tables (One defender and one Attacker).

ie A heavy Infantry defending in a river has -8
A heavy infantry attacking a unit in a river has -4

Air units have a modifier of 0 for all terrain types

The tables are in the manual

Guardian
10-05-2007, 02:58 PM
Great stuff, so You even have a manual with some info in it, wow, I'll have to check it out then as soon as I'll buy the game (I'm getting hyped, so I might actually use Gamersgate and pay 40 Euros, after all Christmas is soon :mrgreen:)
Sorry, it's just a habit from Civilization series, where 90% of game mechanics were not in the manual, so forum and experienced players is the only way to get to the bottom of the things.
Thanks.