PDA

View Full Version : graphics now> graphics 5 years ago

bayonet
10-03-2007, 10:44 AM
I'm sure people are wondering if this game is going look anything real graphic wise by the time it comes out. It's a pretty logical question too, considering the difficult circumstances of this game being delayed over 5 years. I'm wondering how the environment, graphics, sky, textures, whatever, will look compared to other games which came out as of recently and haven't had a long delay. Is this game going to look like you can play it on windows 98? because those system requirements are way too low for today's games. I probably couldn't even play 18 wheels of steel pedal to the metal with a 68 mb video card. That's almost insulting to say any graphically lifelike game could be ran on such low requirements.

JOleg
10-03-2007, 01:19 PM
Even though I agree that the graphics look outdated (that's no wonder, it's been in the works in 2003 already and on drawing boards in 2001) but I think a lot of people are forgetting the scale of the game. This is not a corridor like early NFS games where you can't turn left or right, that's a lot of miles of real road with a freedom of movement.

Another thing is, we can't say they've used a lot of fake techniques to make something look realistic. A lot of things are dynamic in this game, including weather and daylight conditions. The shadows, water, rain and numerous GFX effects will still be there. I personally agree with the fact that it's outdated, but this is exactly how I like it and this graphics level is enough for my needs. The gameplay is more important than the graphics.

Besides, it's not that it's ugly right? Tell me, is it? As far as the sky goes, my personal opinion is that this game has the best ever sky created. From the screenshots that I have seen this is the work of art. You can't imagine how hard it is to get the sky done properly. I know from my own experience when I made non-dynamic sky that it's a lot of work.

So I say, physics and story/gameplay is what concerns me most now. Priority is the following:

1. Physics / realism of anything concerning the vehicle
2. Gameplay / storyline
3. Sound
4. Multiplayer
5. Graphics

Well, as you can see, graphics is not that important for me. I have a game which was released in 2000 which does not have anything dynamic in its graphics engine. Yet I still play because the physics/realism and gameplay are top notch. And yes, sometimes I wish graphics was better, but if that game had the graphics of current Rig'n'Roll then I would play that game for all my life without regretting anything :)

Oliwerko
10-03-2007, 02:49 PM
Exactly. If something just looks good, I wouldnt play it. Primary thing for me is the feel and gameplay of a game. Graphics come in as last in the list.

But I know people that wouldnt play a game just because it has a bit outdated graphics....

EDIT -> just to say that I am big good old games fan. Still playing NFS5 because of its physics and so on. Also there is no need for a game just to use latest effects. There is need to make it look good. And RnR looks good in my opinion...

pook
10-03-2007, 04:55 PM
JOleg:
Have you got same view of simulation and on priority as I. I hope, that the people like the ones will RnR modify on totally real simulator. Absolutely with you all right. :) :) :)

I am sorry for very very very bad English :oops:

bayonet
10-03-2007, 08:06 PM
Guys; I'm not asking you if you think graphics are the best. I know all these things you explained, and I agree completely. Gameplay is what counts. So far so good. I'm just wondering what the game devs did about this, because obviously it had to be an issue, so the appeal of the game was still kept high. I think the graphics are ok from the screenshots, they just don't have anti aliasing and stuff turned on. That's mainly why some screenshots of the game look ugly. But anyways, I really hope they optimise the game so it feels as if it's a new game, not graphics like king of the road. That's originally what I meant by my post. The game is gonna get old pretty quick if things are too ugly.

USA Driver
10-04-2007, 01:41 AM
From the way they made the interstates to back roads, yes I think graphics are the best.
Graphics sell the game, as long with functionality.

A game based on nothing but excellent gameplay and poor graphics will probley sell to a few, but not to me.
Only reason I like it is it's 10x better then what SCS Software, and even myself, could ever do. It's the Driving Simulator in my dreams. :)

I drempt that 1 day, there would be a driving simulator that you could go everywhere in the US. But just California is good enough to me.
I-80's birthplace (Oakland) is here, and interchanges cooler then what I've seen on I-75 in real life.
(drooling over the pictures).. err. Where was I? :lol: Ohh yes.

Yes I think graphics are important.

Oliwerko
10-04-2007, 11:14 AM
Yeah, they are important, but not only technically, but also "artistically". I saw games using latest AA, Pixel shaders and stuff and they was ugly. I saw games with relatively old graphics which were drawn nicely and it looked good.

But for RnR I think it will be SO *high* quality game, that you wont even notice that the graphics may be a bit old...

rmagnum2002
10-05-2007, 08:25 AM
... I saw games using latest AA, Pixel shaders and stuff and they was ugly. I saw games with relatively old graphics which were drawn nicely and it looked good...

Take for example Mafia, a masterpiece, a brilliant game, gameplay, graphics and physics are at high level for the time it was released Mafia hit the top. I have played it many times over and over just for the gameplay.

trucknisse
10-05-2007, 10:17 AM
I read that they have reworked and replaced their graphics engine, and that is one of the bigger causes for the long delay. Meaning, this will not be 2003 technology.

JOleg
10-05-2007, 02:20 PM
I read that they have reworked and replaced their graphics engine, and that is one of the bigger causes for the long delay. Meaning, this will not be 2003 technology.

They have not modified the graphics engine when the development was ongoing, they've developed the graphics engine at the very beginning of the development and then just improved it as they went along. So, yes, it's a 2003 technology and it's definitely not the reason of the delay, but in any case, you will get what you can already see on the screenshots, it will not look any different.

number9ark
10-21-2007, 08:20 AM
Graphics are not my main priority in games , It is such a releif to hear/read that 1c is focusing on gameplay mainly over the looks , The games over the last 5 years have lost much in the game play depeartment which I personally think truely hurts any titles no matter how " pretty" it looks , if a game has no backbone to it looks is wasted.
This alone will increase my wanting the game Rig N Roll by 75% . Some of the old dos game from the past still have better gameplay than most new modern games today for the simple fact 99% of these modern games on the market today rely soly on graphics alone and this makes them boring after a few minutes of play . Thank you 1c for bringing back a taste of the Good ole days once again , These guys are true game developers .. :D :D :D

digit
10-21-2007, 09:49 AM
Guys; I'm not asking you if you think graphics are the best. I know all these things you explained, and I agree completely. Gameplay is what counts. So far so good. I'm just wondering what the game devs did about this, because obviously it had to be an issue, so the appeal of the game was still kept high.

Yer your totally right mate. Hopefully you get an answer for this question :wink:

trucknisse
10-21-2007, 10:14 AM
Q: What are the requirements for processor, RAM and video adapter?

A: The game system requirements are not finally defined yet. According to a rough estimate, a processor with frequency of 2 GHz, not less than 512 Mb of RAM and a video adapter of class GeForce 5 or higher with the memory not less than 64 MB will be required.

Thats ok for me. Then I can play it on my laptop, and everywhere. The screenshots looks great to me. Id rather have high FPSs than super advanced graphics with ultra detailed textures that seriously staggers everytime a talll building comes into view.

kennyb87
10-29-2007, 11:39 AM
Im still playing King of the road gameplay is the best by far 18 wheels is too boring and repetitive and asks too much of youre computer i think. If rig n roll is anything like king of the road its a definet winner

digit
10-30-2007, 09:44 AM
I'm still playing KotR and i agree it does have the best gameplay. RnR should be even better game play with updated graphics but it has been over 5 years so . . . :roll: