PDA

View Full Version : Ascension To The Throne

Guardian
10-02-2007, 04:42 PM
Hello everyone, I know that it's not a proper way to start my first post with a new topic, but I got my hands on that nice game recently, and I wanted to write that I'm impressed!. Maybe it's not a Bioshock+Fallout+HoMMV but it has one thing that not many nowadays games have - playability. It feels like good ol' times of Disciples: Sacred Lands (I mean first part) or other Heroes... I like it a lot, and thank You for Your effort!
Now, some questions, and hopefully some answers as well :)

I'm not asking for expansion packs, but is it possible to release some kind of a patch anytime soon?
Two main problems I've encountered are the lack of "chose difficulty" option - when I left first province I had a bit of a challenge near haunted abbey (place close to where You can hire Grizzlies), but that's about when I stopped having problems with warfare at all, all I needed to do is to place fast units on left side (facing the enemy), and from every encountered chest take authority bonus. If there would be any option to balance that - like less authority/gold chests (btw, who will pick gold when one can get gold from every battle, whereas authority cannot be gain so easily?), harder opponents on higher levels, something like that.

Second is the interface. I got used to it but it's still a bit annoying not to have any shortcuts for casting, waiting, skipping turn, and I'm left handed - wsad for movement is really for righthanded...

Also, there are few things more - first of all, characters can join Your army even if one doesn't have the authority for that. Normally it can;t be done, but if recruiting is due to dialogue (like after dealing with amazons, one can start conversation with amazons in the castle and convince them to join Your army. And You end up with them and, say -278 authority... Not my style, but it allows a LOT bigger army that way...

..And why I can't wait with my units at the beggining of the battle? I can only "skip turn", "wait" shows up only after my first turn, and after that it's not that necessary.

-units speed.

Nearly all units are able to reach enemy ranks at the first turn. True, it adds dynamic to battle, but also creates craving for faster units, rendering medium speed and slower units useless. Usually my medium speed hero had one last enemy to wipe with a fireball etc.
Speed changes by three tiles, but same goes for rings and armors. Why? It says +1 speed and all my "fast" units are "very fast". With speed bonus I'm almost invincible - noone stays there to hit me back. Maybe increase it by +1 only - units are actually faster and they will start before the enemy, but speeded medium units (9+1=10) won't kill opponent's fast units (speed 12)?
It seems to strong imho.

Is there any chance to implement or rebalance this game or is it just a cheap, mass-producted title that is done, sold and forgotten?

P.S. After a while (I'm currently reconquering my original lands) I have to many skill points to spend (I have thousands of life, strenght, magic power etc and still about 70 points to spend) and way to much gold (250k). Thoughts?
P.P.S. Thank You all for possible answers :)

Evgeny
10-03-2007, 07:47 AM
Thank you for your post. The patch for this game is going to be released and some of the things you offered will be implemented in it.

Kolorabi
10-03-2007, 09:57 AM
Seems like an interesting game, where did you buy it?

Guardian
10-03-2007, 01:50 PM
Hi there, thanks for response Evgeny, good to know that some issues will be patched.
@Kolorabi
Unfortunately for 1C I didn't buy the game, one of my polish friends gave it to me, knowing that I love fantasy turn-based strategies, somehow he bought the game, didn't like it and that's how I got it. I can ask him where he bought it.

Yesterday I've finished the game, and I liked it. A lot, despite the fact that I had no real problems or challenge (after final battle I've lost only one myrmidion, thanks to Ressurection spell). Music, graphics, even the idea with portals is really nice.
What I'm trying to say is that the game has great potential, and it would be great to improve it, and make it available for wider range of players.
After Kolorabi's question I've checked and really, it's not as easy to get it. No Amazon, no Play.com or etc, seems that it can be bought in Asia and East Europe. No wonder it's an another case of Disciples - game should be more available...
I'm just surprised - graphics on the battlefield are REALLY nice, all units have their own flavour, hehe, especially female warriors ;) All dialogue lines are neat, I like the sense of humour and the main character. He's not a saint, he's a warrior king! :D
When I got back from work I'll try to make a better list of things that are not-really-working, right now I can only add that there seems to be a problem in discarding inventory - I simply can't do it, and I can't sell it either, although first merchant told me that he can buy things from me as well. Also, I've read a review when author complains that there's no possibility to split Your army. Granted, that guy never played in HoMM II, where shift+click does that. I knew that, cool, but I bet there's many kids out there that knows Heroes only from TV series with a sexy cheerleader on the lead, so I don't know, if an option like splitting would be in "define controls" ppl would know it exists.

So difficulty levels please, some revamped level-up issues and I'll be a happy gamer.

Thanks! :)

Kolorabi
10-03-2007, 04:25 PM
Unfortunately for 1C I didn't buy the game, one of my polish friends gave it to me, knowing that I love fantasy turn-based strategies, somehow he bought the game, didn't like it and that's how I got it. I can ask him where he bought it.

Ok, thanks. I assume the packaging is in polish or something, then. But the game is in English, right?

After Kolorabi's question I've checked and really, it's not as easy to get it. No Amazon, no Play.com or etc, seems that it can be bought in Asia and East Europe. No wonder it's an another case of Disciples - game should be more available...
This is a problem with more games from 1C, unfortunately...

Can anyone from 1C say if this game will be released in Western Europe (english language)?

Oh, and one more thing (to Guardian): I just got Fantasy Wars today, another strategy game from 1C. It's very good, you should have a look at it. :)

The Scandinavian edition have a cool box as well (DVD cover, but in an expensive-looking cardboard "casing"). I like. :)

Anatoly
10-03-2007, 05:35 PM
Ascension to the Throne and many other games from 1C will be available in our online store which is due to open soon.

Kolorabi
10-03-2007, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the info. I take it you will sell boxed copies as well?

Couldn't wait (damn you Guardian for making the game seem so tempting :) ), so I ordered from Play-Asia. I understand you're doing the best you can, but it is a bit strange to have to order a game from the other side of the globe when my country share a border with your country. :)

Guardian
10-03-2007, 07:39 PM
You're welcome Kolorabi, I'm currently downloading Fantasy Wars demo :mrgreen:
Thank You really, because I don't usually look for new games, I'm relying on my friends and besides, 80% of my gaming time I'm banging constantly in trusted titles. Like Civilization series (wow, fourth part rips Your brain out :lol: ), HoMM (bloody hell, I wish there was a praise emoticon here, because for Wake Of Gods my fellow Russian gamers You have my highest praise:)) or other Myth.
I've checked thread on Fantasy Wars here and wwwwow! :o They write there that it's a modern Fantasy General!!!
Guys, I don't know who are You, but You're definitevely doing a good job in making games with a soul 8)

khem, a bit offtopic, aren't we? xP

The game (we're back to the Ascension To The Throne)is in English Version, but I've checked and seen that some polish shops are selling polish version as well, but the important bit is that the game has an english version, and very nicely done to that. I had to check in dictionary for word "actuate", to make sure that it's not a misspelling bug of "activate" word :lol: So that means that the text is translated correctly and with a high knowledge of language. Speaking of text, I've found diary quite entertaining to read, which is not the case in almost all strategies I've encountered. All quests are described there, and updates to them while game progresses are logically added, creating mini-story of some sort, which is convenient to read while I'm having a snack or sth :)

..If I was to change something in the game, it might be an only insignifact, small add-on, an option in battle to have a shadow instead of a big, lively green grid. I just like to see range of a unit by darkened area, I don't need big hexes with numbers 1,2,3,4 on them ;) (piece about the numbers was a joke :))

Cool, 100% of 350Mb of Fantasy Wars downloaded, see You later :mrgreen:

Evgeny
10-16-2007, 02:31 PM
Ascension to the Throne patch released
Patch version 1.1.128 is available. You can download it here (ftp://ftp.1cpublishing.eu/Patches/Ascension_to_the_Throne/English_version/ATTT_1.1.0.128.exe/).

This patch fixes the following problems:
- Video memory leaks;
- Game crashes 'not enough video memory' error on video card of GF7600 series;
- Spelling errors in texts;
- Map mark for FIND WEAPONS did not disappear after completion of the quest;
- Game crashes after the battle against Veliar (HEART OF SAMAEL quest);
- The trigger for SHIP quest sometimes didn't work (no enemy attack in the forest);
- Game crashes after the player finds RING OF THE YEOMEN with his army fully recruited;
- Vertical shift of buttons with 1280х1024 resolution setting (e.g. in the game menu);
- Error with disappearing armor in the CLOSED CHEST quest.

Kolorabi
10-21-2007, 11:15 PM
Any hints for a beginner? I'm not strong enough to survive for very long in battle, and without a weapon I'm not very deadly either, so even with a small band of peasants on my side I am not having much luck.

Guardian
10-22-2007, 06:57 AM
Heh, I've finished Fantasy Wars on Hard since I've played Ascension, so I don't remember clearly. Take a quest from giant near castle to rescue the witch. Don't worry, giant is superstrong, so You'll survive. With witch it'll be easier, try to explore and search for easy targets (You can decide not to fight when enemy is too strong). Look for chests with gold and (rather) authority bonus.

You'll be allright :wink:

P.S. I recall that initially I was very fond of wolves (You can hire them in a cave near first village, they are guarded though so get Yourself some army). They are cheap and very fast. Later You'd like to switch to bears (Grizzlies especially :lol: ). It's really down to You, what type of combat You like and type of units You preffer. I had all my army on Fast and above, so my medium speed hero was not needed for combat really, magic was used instead. However, there'll be a few "duel" quests, so it's good to add a little damage too, not mentioning the health (most important ).

Kolorabi
10-22-2007, 09:35 PM
Thanks for the hints, completing the witch quest was quite helpful. Now I'm trying to fight the wolves near the village, though I can't seem to manage without having the either witch or the archer-woman die on me. I'll work on it some more.

Edit: I did it! :) I found an easy-ish mob protecting an altar, beat them and got enough authority from the altar to be able to hire enough peasants to complete the wolf-quest.

Guardian
10-22-2007, 10:14 PM
Edit: I did it! :) I found an easy-ish mob protecting an altar, beat them and got enough authority from the altar to be able to hire enough peasants to complete the wolf-quest.And that's about the way to do this game 8)

When You'll be passing river bordering lands of first guy (the one that whipped You) and his rival, You'll have option to either fight, or go willingly. I took the fight, and boy that was one of the hardest battles I had in the whole game :D :D :D

Takeda
10-25-2007, 11:45 AM
Hello there!

I would like to say that for old hook as I am , I do not remember game that keeped me stuned that much for long time!
It is not insane graphic UI or music or whatever it is whole atmosphere that made me recall some old feelings from time when games was more than posing.
Anyhow, I got stucked.I dawloaded patch , instaled it etc,. Valinor bug was solved and my game didnt crashed after killing him , but I can't see Emperror armor in my inventory when I looted chest on coast after leaving the castle.

PLEASE , if anyone have any tip for this problem - help!
I want to solve this and go finish the game:)

Best regards to all

Guardian
10-25-2007, 04:05 PM
Heh, heh. Wanna tip? Stick to Sohei (Sothei? Y'know, the light-style speeding fast armor) armor, it's cool because Your hero now is finally Fast on the battlefield (not to mention that he moves on adventure map like a small whirlwind of doom) and can kill baddies without those nasty spells all the time :lol:

Honestly, I have no idea why You can't get the armor (You've done the quest for it I presume), I had no problem whatsoever except that once my hero fell below the ground (re-load), and I couldn't finish the quest with magic words (y'know, "stand on midnight at the feet of the ruins and say three words in proper order") - been there, had the words, no interaction with the game to have a chance to say them xP
Propably it's down to the PC's specs...

And yeah, had the same "good ol' game" feeling when I've played ATTT as well. Shame it's that easy (Make. Difficulty. Levels. In. Next. Patch/Expansion :evil: ), but nonetheless, great game 8)

P.S. Emperor's armor didn't look that great to me (btw, in final movie Your hero is in Emperor Armor regardless what You actually have on him xPP), and I didn't want to be medium speed again :wink:

Takeda
10-25-2007, 11:13 PM
Thanks friend,

It seems I made mistake, I should find that NPC before and finish getting armor back:) sux to walk trough game:)
My bad :)

Thanks again

Kolorabi
10-30-2007, 11:39 PM
After the initial difficulties, I've really been enjoying this game. In fact, I have had much more fun with it than I ever thought I would, and I'm probably not halfway through it yet.

If anyone reading this are on the fence regarding Ascension to the Throne, go for it. It may not look like much (though the units are very nice), and there are some flaws like Guardian mentioned before, but it's still a real gem.

Too bad the boxed copy is so hard to find in Europe, but there's always GamersGate (http://www.gamersgate.com/). And last time I checked they had it in stock at Play-Asia.

Raziel
11-12-2007, 03:57 PM
im gonna try this game out if i find it in stock.

from the talk of few people here i realize its a great game and i saw few screens and it looks nice.

im gonna comment when i try out!

Elgi
06-07-2008, 02:41 PM
Amazing game, I haven't been this addicted to a game in ages. Like a lot of users said it's nothing complicated or amazing graphics but just addictive gameplay.

I have run into a technical issue though, I'm close to finishing the game and I'm near the lift by the assassins guild however when I go to speak to the guards at the guild it says to head into the courtyard but then the game doesn't let me close that dialogue box. The game isn't frozen as I can still move my cursor fine however I can't get out of the dialogue box to allow me to do anything else in the game.

Any way to fix this?

And some tips for some of the people who are having troubloe in the early game, I put all my skill points in magic and health, no damage seeing as how you essentially have unlimited spell points and your spells are way stronger than damage. Also try to really judge distances so know when to move back then move in so you don't take damage. And lastly at the start/mid game you may want to load up on wolves or cheap fast units to surround the enemy just to stall them while your hero or some other ranged damage units beat the enemy down with range or spells.

Personally I didn't open any chests until right before heading to Airath since their bonuses are multiples of your level the higher level you are when you open them the better the bonuses.

Maelthra
07-12-2008, 02:35 PM
Hey
i just played the game and i must admit that its the best game i played in quite some time (1-3 years). Does anyone know if they're gonna make expansion/next part of the game? That would be great

Nike-it
07-14-2008, 07:45 AM
Hey
i just played the game and i must admit that its the best game i played in quite some time (1-3 years). Does anyone know if they're gonna make expansion/next part of the game? That would be great

There are plans, but nothing concrete yet.

LordFess
08-13-2008, 12:00 AM
I guess there is no patch forthcoming?