PDA

View Full Version : OK.. so moving right along......

Bearcat
10-01-2007, 09:06 PM
Now that we have enough of the useless "I cant think of anything else to say so I'll just rehash one of the old clices... ie... 50s, elevator etc etc etc... "posts....

I am wondering if this forum means that 1C is planning to publish it's own stuff in the future w/o UBI.... and does anyone think that would be a good thing... or not?

Bearcat
10-01-2007, 09:07 PM
Oh... and that elevat6or wasn't porked..LOL.. it was GONE... LOL

fly_zo
10-01-2007, 09:30 PM
well if they planing to go independent i'm all for that... and regarding Ubi ... lets look on the bright (yellow ) side - imagine that it is Eidos insted (horror!!)

Shadow
10-01-2007, 09:32 PM
I can't say that it would be a bad thing if UBI was out of the picture.

Too many times they f**ked with Oleg's fine releases, annoying many players in the process.

I think that this sim (BOB), prolly has enough momentum that it doesn't need to have a big name publisher behind it anyway.

I think if was released as an indie it would likely sell near as many copies without all the DRM issues, boonty etc. The core simmers realize that a purchase will help keep 1C in business and stealing it won't.

flox
10-01-2007, 09:33 PM
Whether 1C without UBI would be a good thing I can't say for sure, but it seems to me that UBI hasn't done anything particularly great for 1C in terms of promotion or publication (wasn't the Boontybox debacle UBI's doing?)

JG52Uther
10-01-2007, 10:23 PM
Well much as I dislike ubi, would we have got this sim at all without their backing in the early days?

Monterey
10-01-2007, 10:55 PM
Glad to be here, and see all the old faces. I won't be going back"over there".

Brain32
10-01-2007, 10:57 PM
"Over there" is not that bad, selective reading helps, and with all the whining and b1tching I did there, I really polished up my english 8) :lol:

DKoor
10-01-2007, 10:58 PM
Well much as I dislike ubi, would we have got this sim at all without their backing in the early days?+1

B16Enk
10-01-2007, 11:07 PM
Well much as I dislike ubi, would we have got this sim at all without their backing in the early days?

+1

That said UBI has done it's job, remains to be seen if 1C have the connections to draw in new blood (which UBI undeniably would if motivation is there - big caveat) but for sure they have a following, a vociferous one at that (where's the spell check..poxy phpBB should have gone with SMF 1C!) who will sell on their behalf.

We here will buy regardless of the publisher, it's how 1C get it to people who don't know of their fine pedigree that is the question.

DKoor
10-01-2007, 11:11 PM
We here will buy regardless of the publisher, it's how 1C get it to people who don't know of their fine pedigree that is the question.That's the problem; people that don't know Oleg Maddox and his company.....
Thing is even if they are not much of a sim enthusiasts that SoW game will be "da bomb" and worth buying.

I just wish that marketing does their part of the job good, and the selling thing goes great, that could mean that we can get better/more/faster stuff afterwards 8)

bigbossmalone
10-02-2007, 06:52 AM
We here will buy regardless of the publisher, it's how 1C get it to people who don't know of their fine pedigree that is the question.

Maybe we should all do our bit in our own areas to spread the word. Tell your friends, their friends, the next door neighbours kids, whoever. Imagine how impressed 1C will be if they think that each of us here might well make more sales for them, as well!
Personally, I've ensured 5 sales of 1946, just by convincing people to buy it - some people, believe it or not, are easily convinced.
One of my sales methods, the easiest, but involves a bit of time hanging out in your local PC game store - you see someone who is looking, and they don't look too sure, i.e: a mom or dad, looking to buy a game for their kids, something like that. I then go up and offer my advice; Try this great flight sim - you get to shoot stuff too!! ' Almost too easy - they believe me because I believe myself, and I don't even work in the PC store, therefore I don't have the obvious ulterior motive for my advice -
The other sales was me convincing some mates to buy it.
They are all way impressed, and why not? It's a kickass product!

So, if I worked for 1C, and I saw what kind of people (via this forum) were buying the results of my hard work, and how much they appreciated it, I would definitely be wanting to do my best to keep them impressed, and not let them down. This forum is our best opportunity to 'impress' 1C, and in a very subtle way, make them 'want' to make their product even better for us!
The opposite also stands true, if we all behave like a bunch of spoilt-brat whiners, they might not be that worried about keeping us happy...

8)

Monterey
10-02-2007, 01:29 PM
True. I have gotten at least 10 people to buy 1946 so far. It's not very widely known until you bring it to their attention.

Bearcat
10-02-2007, 02:47 PM
I have personally bought 5 copies of 46, 3 copies of the GOLD pack.. and two of FB when it first came out.... all as gifts... Not to mention all te recommendations.. When I worked at Best Buy I set up a PC with FB on it and looped the tracks to just run... I cant tell you how many times folks would be walking by and stop dead in their tracks... I sold lots of video cards, RAM and joysticks that way.. not to mention copies of 46. LMAO.. I used to even intercept people I saw grabbing... the MSCFS... "No you dont want that.... this is what you want... " One guy went home.. and promptly came back.. he wound up getting CH,TIR etc.. and still flies to this day on HL... Most of the people though who bought it... either couldn't hang with it or didnt give it time.... or they remain anonymous....

SlipBall
10-02-2007, 04:40 PM
(quote)
I am wondering if this forum means that 1C is planning to publish it's own stuff in the future w/o UBI....

That was my first though when seeing the new forum...and yes I think it would be good for us and 1C

SlipBall
10-02-2007, 04:52 PM
In fact, if you look below where it say's jump to...1C publishing is listed....but not active link yet :shock:

Triad773
10-02-2007, 11:26 PM
In fact, if you look below where it say's jump to...1C publishing is listed....but not active link yet :shock:

Fascinating.

Wasn't the structure of the distro already contracted and such?

Triad773
10-02-2007, 11:39 PM

BTW: just tried the link and its working now 8)

Jaguar
10-03-2007, 03:03 AM
So this is where everybody is hanging out since the Hyperlobby woes :shock:

RockStar
10-03-2007, 03:34 PM
It is good to be here, my first post on the new forums. :)

SlipBall
10-03-2007, 10:22 PM

Fascinating.

Wasn't the structure of the distro already contracted and such?

Yes, I would quess so, but who know's what is going on....a real info blackout is what we have going on right now....hopeing to hear something new here soon...ok so I am a dreamer :lol:

SlipBall
10-04-2007, 08:49 PM
A bump to get ahead of the locked one's

Stew278
10-04-2007, 11:11 PM

Maybe we should all do our bit in our own areas to spread the word. Tell your friends, their friends, the next door neighbours kids, whoever. Imagine how impressed 1C will be if they think that each of us here might well make more sales for them, as well!

It does seem like this game could have a larger fanbase if they would advertise/ distribute better. I noticed at the local CompUSA last week they didn't have 1946, but they still had 2 copies of Pacific Fighters on the shelf. I don't think I've ever seen 1946 there. Maybe they sold the copies they had, who knows. But, they had a computer set up running demos of FSX and several addons for it, all in their own special corner of the PC games section. Things like that get attention. Of course 1C doesn't have the big advertising budget like MS.

What about advertising at airshows? Wouldn't having a computer running demos of the game or even one people could try it on be good advertising? You'd certainly be reaching the target audience at such events. Or maybe they do this already, has anyone noticed?

I've tried to get my friends and coworkers hooked on flight simming, but they are all into the FPS or RTS games. They all say flight sims are boring, too much of the same thing (and FPS games offer alot of variety?). The LAN parties at the university here all focus on FPS games.

na85
10-05-2007, 05:55 AM
Now that we have enough of the useless "I cant think of anything else to say so I'll just rehash one of the old clices... ie... 50s, elevator etc etc etc... "posts....

I am wondering if this forum means that 1C is planning to publish it's own stuff in the future w/o UBI.... and does anyone think that would be a good thing... or not?

Personally, I think that games published by Ubi (and I've purchased quite a few from different genres) tend to lack a certain 'polish' that other titles have. Little things like spelling errors, etc.

I also hate the way ubi games are forced to interface with ubi.com

Why not just have an ingame lobby like battle.net or novaworld or gamespy?

Ultimately, I hope Ubi and 1C continue to put out stuff that is the same quality as IL2. However from a business standpoint it couldn't hurt for 1C to 'shop around,' as it were.

mondo
10-05-2007, 06:20 AM
Personally, I think that games published by Ubi (and I've purchased quite a few from different genres) tend to lack a certain 'polish' that other titles have. Little things like spelling errors, etc.

Thats down to the developer. The publisher does have a certain degree of QA (at least in my experience working in a publisher) but the developer takes care of most of the localizsation work. I don't think Ubi games are any better or worse than any other publishers. Some of there games are lack some polish but then look at EA's back catalogue. It can take them months to fix a bug that means half there player base can't play a certain game.

Bearcat
10-05-2007, 11:39 AM

I also hate the way ubi games are forced to interface with ubi.com

Why not just have an ingame lobby like battle.net or novaworld or gamespy?

Ultimately, I hope Ubi and 1C continue to put out stuff that is the same quality as IL2. However from a business standpoint it couldn't hurt for 1C to 'shop around,' as it were.

Thats the thing though.... the quality of IL2 has nothing to do with UBI... and everything to do with 1C... so I am wondering if whatever restrictions were placed on 1C if there were any, by UBI will be no longer a factor.. which I imagine would be the case if and thyats a big if because I have no clue... this means that 1C is in fact breaking away...

linus
10-12-2007, 01:56 AM
Glad to be here, and see all the old faces. I won't be going back"over there".

That u monty?
Hells angels late 15th AF monterey?

Aloha

Skarphol
10-13-2007, 09:15 AM
The fact that Oleg hasn't posted a word at the Ubi forum since may 15th (AFIK) and the fact that he has stated that there will be news on this forum makes me belive that Oleg and Ubi are not cooperating well anymore.
In my opinion Ubi have done a lousy publishers job compared to other companies. This sim has been the best flightsim around for 7 years and still it is largely unknown to the general public. If i go to gaming stores I will see at least 10 copies of MS flightsims and 1 (or less) of this one.

I don't know if it is a good thing if 1C decides to publish BoB on their own, that remains to see. But it can't be that difficult to do a better job than Ubi have done.

Skarphol

proton45
10-15-2007, 01:51 AM
I'm all for 1C publishing their own stuff...as far as being able to control content and presentation this could be a really good thing for the "IL2" series.

And if things work out for them it could mean a much healthier profit margin for themselfs...

However is dose mean a larger financial risk/investment on their part, and I would hate to see "IL2" disappear in a quagmire of financial woes...