PDA

View Full Version : So which should i choose,AMD or Intel?

the Dutchman
03-25-2011, 07:20 PM
Does CoD support all multicore processors?
AMD is a lot cheaper,but is it as good?

T}{OR
03-25-2011, 07:27 PM
i5 2500k is the sweet spot at the moment.

Here is an answer to your question: (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8071032709/m/6751022719)

Dano: How is Cliffs of Dover optimised for multicore systems? Is there an upper limit on the number of cores supported?

We didn’t focus on multicore support while developing the game, but we do run the game in multiple threads. Depending on your CPU, these threads will be split between available cores. There’s no upper limit to the number of supported cores, but you will see little improvement past four cores because additional threads are pretty light.

Hence no need for HT i7's or six core AMD-s. If you really want AMD, best if you can wait till late June when the new CPU-s are coming out from AMD.

Oldschool61
03-25-2011, 07:57 PM
Does CoD support all multicore processors?
AMD is a lot cheaper,but is it as good?

I would wait till we find out which one has better support for epilepsy filter filtering lol

Biggs
03-25-2011, 08:48 PM
I would wait till we find out which one has better support for epilepsy filter filtering lol

looks like its the i7 with 4 gigs of ram and a GTX470 or higher.... Nike-it's getting 30 FPS average with both the epilepsy filter AND FRAPS running at the same time...

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpost.php?p=240091&postcount=1

MadBlaster
03-25-2011, 08:58 PM
looks like its the i7 with 4 gigs of ram and a GTX470 or higher.... Nike-it's getting 30 FPS average with both the epilepsy filter AND FRAPS running at the same time...

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpost.php?p=240091&postcount=1

I don't think he had fraps running when he was flying to make the track. He used fraps to make the video from the track. If fraps was running while he was flying, we would have seen the frame rate counter and this would add a slight overhead to his system. Maybe Nike-it can confirm this?

Biggs
03-25-2011, 09:08 PM
I don't think he had fraps running when he was flying to make the track. He used fraps to make the video from the track. If fraps was running while he was flying, we would have seen the frame rate counter and this would add a slight overhead to his system. Maybe Nike-it can confirm this?

Taken with Frapps, unfortunately I found out very late that the FPS counter is not displayed in the video:(

make of that quote what you will....

Triggaaar
03-25-2011, 09:23 PM
Hence no need for HT i7'sSo if you have an i7, presumably it will be best to switch HT off?

T}{OR
03-25-2011, 09:31 PM
So if you have an i7, presumably it will be best to switch HT off?

Based upon the above comment: "There’s no upper limit to the number of supported cores, but you will see little improvement past four cores because additional threads are pretty light." suggests that you leave it on, it might as well provide a marginal boost in performance.

Triggaaar
03-26-2011, 07:12 AM
Based upon the above comment: "There’s no upper limit to the number of supported cores, but you will see little improvement past four cores because additional threads are pretty light." suggests that you leave it on, it might as well provide a marginal boost in performance.
Thanks Thor. While the extra threads may help a little, running HT makes the rest slower, which may cause the more demanding tasks on the first threads to slow down. I think I'll just have to test it both ways.