PDA

View Full Version : any tips for assaulting artillery/emplaced guns

awoodby
03-15-2011, 06:10 PM
Hello,

Still going. Just got to first German singleplayer mission, the emplaced artillery chews me up (not to mention incoming tanks)

I understand angle of attack, ie hit the sherman in the side (though it won't LET you), and did finish this mission by swamping the defenses...

but I'd LOVE to be able to take them out without such losses, any tips?

Thanks!

kane1
03-15-2011, 07:05 PM
As far as Tanks are concerned, I go for the turret and if possible side shot. Dealing with emplace artillery, once I spot one I like to give them HE rounds right in the face. That's my technique. You can't just take out the crew, they just get replaced, with all the AI infantry it could take awhile to sneak up on one, and after losing tanks to them I love watching them blowup.:grin:

TacticalKent
03-15-2011, 07:49 PM
For assaulting an artillery position, sometimes snipers can get great shots on the crew. Infantry can also use what I like to call "smoke cover smoke", basically throwing smoke, running to the position, throwing another smoke before assaulting with an anti infantry or anti armor grenade before rushing their cover and taking a position to breath hot lead in their faces.

Tanks can usually sit a fair bit back, using an HE round to avoid wasting shells on nasty armor. However sometimes the artillery can spot the tank before its move and begin targeting it, Japan can use a Banzai rush - an excellent cannon fodder cover to move and assault, but when playing for another side it is best to create a confusing move, having a jeep/scout vehicle (even a truck) move around to draw artillery fire before charging with infantry (maybe getting some mortars on the emplacements too!).

You can combine techniques or see what works best for you, but for me those tactics work :D

Waltruz
03-15-2011, 09:42 PM
Mortars usually work good if there are any decent cover. It will take quite a few rounds, however, if you want to blow the artillery piece for good. Otherwise it's great for de-crewing the piece to let something else blow it up in peace.

kane1
03-15-2011, 10:58 PM
Taking out the crew can buy you some time but if you don't take out the gun the AI will just replace the crew(in Heroic anyway). I've even seen them repairing the gun(which is cool!). Using a Tank can be a real costly way to take out AT guns but when it works, so satisfying.