PDA

View Full Version : Friday update and discussions 2011-03-11

Pages : [1] 2

Oleg Maddox
03-11-2011, 01:21 PM
Hi,

Today there are just small video and several screen shots. Next week - probably some new battle scene in video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOqlO14zQmg

Humans absent because it is static objects (they are present in vihicles with AI).

meplay
03-11-2011, 01:22 PM
nice

blades96
Nice. Very nice!

JG53Harti
nice !

1.JaVA_Sharp
03-11-2011, 01:26 PM
nice attempt at foreshadowing....

PeterPanPan
03-11-2011, 01:27 PM
Lovely vid Oleg, thanks. Frame rates looking silky smooth which is especially nice to see on the low level sequence at the end. What machine was this made on please?
PPanPan

NSU
03-11-2011, 01:28 PM
nice air school :)

and ground Objects

i hope we see some Bomber pictures soon

Dano
03-11-2011, 01:28 PM
The lighting is just sublime :)

NSU
03-11-2011, 01:30 PM
Please do not forget the engine and radio voice sound in the battle scene video ;)

Defender
03-11-2011, 01:30 PM
Great shots thanks, the cockpit view in the trainer also looks great. I loved how smooth the instrument needles move.

Thanks for the update.

Meusli
03-11-2011, 01:31 PM
Hi Oleg.

Cheers for the update, I really liked this one. The ground textures look a lot better and the detail in that spit picture is amazing.

Will there eventually be humans on static objects?

Oldschool61
03-11-2011, 01:32 PM
Whats the status of CoD has it gone gold yet and if not any idea when??

Skoshi Tiger
03-11-2011, 01:32 PM
Very Lovely, I can see myself spending hours in a Tiger Moth exploring the map! Though the guy who's job it is to mow the grass should be put on a charge!

ECV56_Guevara
03-11-2011, 01:34 PM
Excelent the video especially the music...makes me remember the movie "dark blue world"
Nice screens too, Thanks

sfmadmax
03-11-2011, 01:34 PM
Great, Thanks Oleg!:-P

Insuber
03-11-2011, 01:35 PM
Beatiful atmosphere - I like the colors and the lighting. Bravo Oleg and Luthier!

25th March approaches, yuppie!

giovanni the ace
03-11-2011, 01:36 PM
Today's my birthday and what a great birthday present. Cant wait to fly the tiger moth.:-)

smink1701
03-11-2011, 01:36 PM
Very nice...seems the details are being turned up every week.

rakinroll
03-11-2011, 01:37 PM
Very nice video and music. Thank you Oleg.

Oleg Maddox
03-11-2011, 01:38 PM
Today's my birthday and what a great birthday present. Cant wait to fly the tiger moth.:-)

Congratulations with the bithday!

kalimba
03-11-2011, 01:38 PM
Hi Oleg.

Will there eventually be humans on static objects?

I know, I know....You only looked at the pictures...But, read what Oleg wrote in his post...Just on top of the srenies...;)

Salute !

Bowtome
03-11-2011, 01:40 PM
All very pretty, but has it gone gold? When can I pre-order in in England from the big stores?

T}{OR
03-11-2011, 01:41 PM
Thank you for the update.

Dano
03-11-2011, 01:42 PM
I know, I know....You only looked at the pictures...But, read what Oleg wrote in his post...Just on top of the srenies...;)

Salute !

And you failed to read his post lol.

CharveL
03-11-2011, 01:51 PM
Thanks again, Oleg.

Is the audio engine or samples still being tweaked or are you just saving it for more of a surprise closer to release?

=XIII=Shea
03-11-2011, 01:51 PM
Fantastic vid and screens oleg TY:)

150GCT_Veltro
03-11-2011, 01:53 PM
A tandem trainer is really a revolution, really a wonderfull addition! Any chance to have a german one in the future as DLC?

Sky's layers look superb meanwhile clouds still look like IL2.

Thank for the update.

kristorf
03-11-2011, 01:54 PM
Very nice indeed, but the bloody grass needs cutting, the Regimental won't be too happy............:grin:

meshuggahs
03-11-2011, 01:55 PM
I'm seriously thinking about deep freezing myself for the next 2 weeks. Just can't wait any longer!

Is the audio engine or samples still being tweaked or are you just saving it for more of a surprise closer to release?

Yes! Gun/engine sounds! Pwease Oleg!

louisv
03-11-2011, 01:59 PM
Has anybody seen the South Park episode where Cartman has to wait before the Wii console comes out ?

Well he asks his friends to freeze him in a glacier (South Park is in Colorado) and thaw him up when the 2 weeks are over because he just cannot bear to wait...

That's how I feel about CoD...Please freeze me...until March 25 (or April 19), I just can't wait:-)

edit: Damn, Meshuggahs beat me to it...^^

Letum
03-11-2011, 01:59 PM
Thanks OM.

holdenbj
03-11-2011, 02:02 PM
Very nice. Is it two weeks yet? :)

Sternjaeger
03-11-2011, 02:03 PM
very very nice, I only hope you remembered the peculiar mechanism of the Tiger Moth ailerons: they never go up, they only go down on the side opposite to where you give stick.

Uh and what with the exhausts guys? Wasn't the 4 pipes only for export Tiger Moths?

CharveL
03-11-2011, 02:04 PM
I'm seriously thinking about deep freezing myself for the next 2 weeks. Just can't wait any longer!

Yes! Gun/engine sounds! Pwease Oleg!

I've taken to flogging my back daily with a leather cat-o-nine in the vain effort to deaden any built up anticipation as, at present, I'm expecting a cornucopic explosion of unicorns and rainbows upon first game launch.

Ploughman
03-11-2011, 02:05 PM
Very nice pics and a lovely vid. Two weeks, be sure?

Meusli
03-11-2011, 02:06 PM

What he said, lol.

ECV56_Lancelot
03-11-2011, 02:08 PM
...Humans absent because it is static objects (they are present in vihicles with AI).

Do you think we will eventually have animated humans on airfields?. Don't mind you cant interact with them, it would be unnecesary, but just having people moving around and doing something would make a huge diference. I still think its the most important aspect to give the feeling of a "living world" when you are on the ground, or near at it, instead of having this "ghost airbases".

I'm not referring to the humans inside vehicles, by the way.

Thanks for the update, as usual, impeccable! :)

Avionsdeguerre
03-11-2011, 02:11 PM
Very nice, I can't wait this great game !
Merveilleux !

RCAF_FB_Orville
03-11-2011, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the update, the ground and field crop textures are looking much better now....very pleasing to the eye. :)

Zorin
03-11-2011, 02:16 PM
I guess what we like to know is this.

1. Will we have static human objects in different postures that can be placed by the mission builder.
2. Smaller groups of up to 5 humans that can be set as our IL-2 convoys going through different routines. Carrying boxes or tools or just marching down a predefined course.

Additionally, in case of an atack they should have a escape/ take cover routine setting in.

Be nice to get an answer on this :)

Ustas!
03-11-2011, 02:19 PM
Hi! Thx for update! See pictures in att.

mazex
03-11-2011, 02:25 PM
I really can see a tank warfare addon for this now ;) Really nice...

ChrisDNT
03-11-2011, 02:28 PM
Pilots look really good and head movements very realistic, nice.

Hecke
03-11-2011, 02:28 PM
2 weeks left and no word about the status?

ChrisDNT
03-11-2011, 02:29 PM
Aren't the size of the waves a little too big for a quiet day ? (not sure, I'm not living near the sea)

ChrisDNT
03-11-2011, 02:30 PM
Btw, views on the ground look really cool ---> tank sim :grin: (Battle of France, for instance)

ChrisDNT
03-11-2011, 02:33 PM
"I really can see a tank warfare addon for this now Really nice..."

Early war German and British vehicules and tanks seem already modelled, just add some B1bis and Somua 35 and it's done.... almost ! ;)

Old_Canuck
03-11-2011, 02:34 PM
Has anybody seen the South Park episode where Cartman has to wait before the Wii console comes out ?

Well he asks his friends to freeze him in a glacier (South Park is in Colorado) and thaw him up when the 2 weeks are over because he just cannot bear to wait...

That's how I feel about CoD...Please freeze me...until March 25 (or April 19), I just can't wait:-)

edit: Damn, Meshuggahs beat me to it...^^

I thought freezing was automatic in Montreal.

Oldschool61
03-11-2011, 02:37 PM

You forgot to point out the tires are over inflated.

Strike
03-11-2011, 02:46 PM

Just to prove you wrong, I spent like 30 mins searching the internets and guess what?! Oleg has done homework!

Top Right corner :

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee274/Bodston/img140-1.jpg

wildone_106
03-11-2011, 02:46 PM
Beautiful video & photos!

Just a general comment, is there any other kind of weather systems simulated other than calm skys as all I've seen so far is pretty nice weather..what about storms/overcast skys ect? Just curious. Awesome work!

Redwan
03-11-2011, 02:48 PM
Very nice !!! Even is some textures look a little bit strange, the global views are very nice and dare we say photo-realistic ! It’s the first time that we have that level of detail in a flight sim.

It looks as beautiful and as detailed as a good ground sim (even better eye candy than T34 vs Tiger Tank sim)

Good job !!!

zapatista
03-11-2011, 02:53 PM
oleg,

thanks for another update

very nice to see moving human crew in the planes ! the tiger moth looks great and the lighting quality is very impressive

question: in one of the recent russian interviews you mentioned there will be "limited dynamic weather" because it is taking to much pc resources to right now implement it as you had hoped, so will there be a similar limited dynamic campaign at release time ? or has this been completely postponed ? if it is is postponed, will this still be a priority you will be working on after release in the first few patches ?

for many of us we dream of having a 24/7 dynamic campaign server for il2, where we can joint he server at any time and choose missions to fly in an evolving campaign. i really hope you can still give this a priority !

Blackdog_kt
03-11-2011, 02:56 PM
Screenshots are the usual very good quality, but the video is just excellent.

1) Instrument needles move smoothly in a believable manner.

2) The crew in the aircraft reacts to G-forces as we've been told by Luthier a long time ago, but it's the first time we seen it so clearly.

3) At 1:08 you can see the back seater in the further Tiger Moth looking at the one closer to the camera, then turning his head back forward at 1:10. This is much smoother than the way it was done in IL2 for AI pilots, which leads me to believe it's a human controlled pilot whose head movements we can see. Great for multiplayer (i think it's also been confirmed that head movements are displayed for human controlled pilots).

4) The light, shadows, haze, OMG! I can't wait to see how much better it will look when the dynamic weather is optimized and patched into the game.

5) The ground sequence at the end was smooth, fluid and rock steady.

This is getting better and better. I really appreciate showing us some in-cockpit footage. We already know how good the 3D models are, it would be nice if we see more videos from an in-cockpit perspective.

That's my only small request for next week: if the video is not yet shot and finalized, i'd like to see someone flying the aircraft from within the cockpit. Sounds would be welcome but i would also like it very much if we had some sort of commentary talking us through what the pilot is doing, in order to highlight the new features (a display of complex engine management + anthropomorphic modeling would rock).

Great work! ;)

Tree_UK
03-11-2011, 02:59 PM
Very nice movie Oleg thank you, would it be possible to show some actual in game movie footage nextweek from the pilots perspective, maybe a raid over an airfield. Many thanks.

Hecke
03-11-2011, 03:06 PM
Is the game still on time for a march 24th release?

JG1_Wanderfalke
03-11-2011, 03:11 PM
i dont care anymore
dont know why...

JG1_Wanderfalke
03-11-2011, 03:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk0dBZ1meio

zauii
03-11-2011, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the update.
Excellent as always, and the obvious question i suppose, is the game still due for match 25th ?

nearmiss
03-11-2011, 03:47 PM

OMG! where do you come from? :confused:

I'm sure we will be changing tires on that truck.. :rolleyes:

TheGrunch
03-11-2011, 04:00 PM
I think it's a joke nm. :)

Tempest123
03-11-2011, 04:23 PM
Holy smokes Oleg!

Fafnir_6
03-11-2011, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the update, Oleg. The screenshots are very impressive, as usual. The video's high framerate is good to see, as well (as someone posted earlier). You say that next week we will get a battle video. Could we please get a video with no music? A mixture of interior and exterior video sequences that will enable us to: a) admire the sexy planes/cockpits b) admire the sexy lanscape/lighting and c) (most important) allow us to hear the interior and exterior sounds. Video sequences should be long enough to get a good feeling for how each plane will sound inside and out and some exterior flypasts would also be welcome. I really enjoy your weekly updates and hope to see some of this soon.

Cheers and thanks,

Fafnir_6

ElAurens
03-11-2011, 04:43 PM
The views in the screenshots look like you could have a totally believable first person perspective infantry component at some time in the future as well.

The video has convinced me that my very first flight will be in a Tiger Moth, and not a fighter.

Thank you again Oleg.

The Kraken
03-11-2011, 04:55 PM
Neat... two weeks before release and suddenly there's a detail bump map on the terrain textures - any more surprises in the pipeline? ;)

Thanks for another nice update!

Mysticpuma
03-11-2011, 04:55 PM
Dear Oleg.

Stills and video of the usual expected standard thanks.

As posted by a couple of others, please can we have the engine and gun noise that will be in the release version in the next 'Battle' video. It would be good to hear, finally, what this is actually going to sound like after many, many requests?

Lastly, I wonder as there is so-much ground detail, whether there will be a possible 'Scramble' Sequence from the Pilots view?

I'm thinking that the bell will ring, then from a First Person view we would run (no user control just a First Person sequence) to the aircraft, step in and then take control from the usual position?

I still yearn for a Pilot body in the cockpit view with legs and arms, as we now have 6-DoF to look around the body parts if they obstruct a view, but I wonder if the Fisrt Person POV scramble could be possible (even if it's in a later patch as we are so-close to release).

Thanks for the update, cheers, MP

McHilt
03-11-2011, 04:56 PM
that video is totally mesmerizing... wonderful, and no lag at all, congrats Oleg and all there at 1C studios.
The screenies and the landscape detail are beyond belief, how things have shaped up! Is this a flight sim? oh, yes... and unbeatable for years to come.

big Thx

erco
03-11-2011, 05:06 PM
To steal a phrase, that video was just PURE WIN!

Beautiful work. And I can't help but wonder if the video we got today wasn't a shot fired across Microsoft's bow, considering their promo video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwB8GD8qnDA

Speaking of this, a Stearman and an AT-6 would be very welcome!

wildone_106
03-11-2011, 05:29 PM
Theres no way this game is shipping in 2 weeks, I just wish Oleg would be honest about it, don't we deserve that? Already pre-ordered..I didn't expect it out till the END of 011 so I wont be disapointed..only that maybe they're not being honest about the situation thats all.

norulz
03-11-2011, 05:37 PM
I hope water and especially clouds will be improved with time in CoD series.

McHilt
03-11-2011, 05:50 PM

Well, at this 2 cm Flak 30/38, there is a Feldwebel on "Battle Station". ;)

scrutinizing screenies? well done Rodolphe! :)

Stiboo
03-11-2011, 06:16 PM

Well, at this 2 cm Flak 30/38, there is a Feldwebel on "Battle Station". ;)

He He He...!:)

Nice spot Rodolphe...with eyes like that you're a great fighter pilot!

zauii
03-11-2011, 06:23 PM
I hope water and especially clouds will be improved with time in CoD series.

Water ur kidding me? Look at some of the videos, its gorgeous no need for improvement there.

Coen020
03-11-2011, 07:00 PM
OH NOES! It's the infamous Tiger Moth Squadron.

Stealth_Eagle
03-11-2011, 07:19 PM
Hi Oleg. Great choice of things to release today. I have a few questions.

Are manned AAA turrets still going to be available to be used?

Is the map still like it is in other updates?

Can we use "false markings"? (RAF markings on a ME-109 for example)

Is there going to be triggers for creating missions?

Will these triggers work in dogfight servers?

How detailed can we get with these triggers?

Thanks for you time and commitment for all of us sim pilots.

I am asking these questions since I am planning on making an extreme in depth multilayer mission where it is designed to run the full course of the Battle of Britain in one mission. The triggers would be used to like if the Germans get a massive advantage, it would trigger an invasion force or if you fly in formation with 2 other people, an AI would spawn and join up with you for safety in numbers. I have several friends that will help me test this idea if triggers to the degree of detail that I want are released. If successful, I could give you the mission file to see if you like it. Maybe about 36 hours of total work to accomplish that :grin: much longer than it took me to just set up historically accurate ship line ups in Pearl Harbor (around 5 hours). I would love to see the triggers.

kendo65
03-11-2011, 07:40 PM
Theres no way this game is shipping in 2 weeks, I just wish Oleg would be honest about it, don't we deserve that? Already pre-ordered..I didn't expect it out till the END of 011 so I wont be disapointed..only that maybe they're not being honest about the situation thats all.

You could conceivably be right, but seeing as there has been no more word on this since Oleg's last very specific reassurance that the 25th was still the planned release date I'll stick with that thanks.

I do like the way that you jump from pure speculation into the firm conviction that Oleg is being dishonest and should 'come clean'.

Of course, it is just possible that the reason he hasn't 'come clean' is because the plan hasn't changed. Far-fetched I know, but....

I'm convinced that a week after release some people will still be posting: "There is NO way this game will be out by ...."

Fall_Pink?
03-11-2011, 07:52 PM
D*mn, enough detail to start a very nice ground sim ;-) Lighting en reflections look stunning!!

Rgs,
Mark

sallee
03-11-2011, 07:59 PM
He He He...!:)

Nice spot Rodolphe...with eyes like that you're a great fighter pilot!

I must have the eyes of Hermann Goering. I was looking at the Gulaschkanone.

Redwan
03-11-2011, 08:02 PM

Beautiful work. And I can't help but wonder if the video we got today wasn't a shot fired across Microsoft's bow, considering their promo video:

Wonderfull movie !

It’s so realistic that it’s almost impossible to make the difference with the reality … I watched this week’s update movie after watching this MS trailer and I reached the sad conclusion that a small development team is far from being able of even approaching the graphic quality that we can find in this fantastic Microsoft trailer.

I hope that MS will one day decide to make a new version of his CFS4 with the same graphic quality.

Maybe a feature like 'camera shaking' would have made Oleg's video look less candid and naive (the planes look like standing still above the water .... I almost felt assleep watching that ...) And Oleg's clouds look ridiculous compared to MS.

wildone_106
03-11-2011, 08:04 PM
I certainly mean no disrespect so let me say that first!
But my speculation comes from the fact its 2 weeks out to shipping their game..the official website is silent on the release date! At this time you'd think they're marketing machine would be on full blast with new images, blog updates or whatever for the general public (you can't on them to go to all the trouble of sighing up to these forums..we're the hardcore crowd!)

Whilst the videos and pictures have been great..its also been very limited..not having shown all the planes yet in action? Limited battle scenes, NO weather systems other than clear skys with the occasional cloud & so on, I don't get the sense what we've been shown is a finished game. I could be wrong, I hope I am! I've worked in the games bizz for a long time and the lack of updates is very unusual even for a game/sim like this. Anyway I'll be happy to be proved wrong..!

You could conceivably be right, but seeing as there has been no more word on this since Oleg's last very specific reassurance that the 25th was still the planned release date I'll stick with that thanks.

I do like the way that you jump from pure speculation into the firm conviction that Oleg is being dishonest and should 'come clean'.

Of course, it is just possible that the reason he hasn't 'come clean' is because the plan hasn't changed. Far-fetched I know, but....

I'm convinced that a week after release some people will still be posting: "There is NO way this game will be out by ...."

Biggs
03-11-2011, 08:05 PM
wonderful vid of the tiger moths :grin:

made me think of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KIIW-VIIBE&feature=related

Tacoma74
03-11-2011, 08:05 PM
Good stuff Oleg! Keep it coming :-P

kendo65
03-11-2011, 08:06 PM
Regarding the MS 'video' - I'm amazed that people who see conspiracy theories everywhere concerning COD can fall for something that is so blatantly propaganda and hype without batting an eyelid.

minvid
03-11-2011, 08:10 PM
Wonderfull movie !

It’s so realistic that it’s almost impossible to make the difference with the reality … I watched this week’s update movie after watching this MS trailer and I reached the sad conclusion that a small development team is far from being able of even approaching the graphic quality that we can find in this fantastic Microsoft trailer.

I hope that MS will one day decide to make a new version of his CFS4 with the same graphic quality.

Do you believe everything you see? This is an computer generated movie clip and no ingame shootage. The stock FSX is a piece of crap without any 3rd party addons.

kendo65
03-11-2011, 08:17 PM
I certainly mean no disrespect so let me say that first!
But my speculation comes from the fact its 2 weeks out to shipping their game..the official website is silent on the release date! At this time you'd think they're marketing machine would be on full blast with new images, blog updates or whatever for the general public (you can't on them to go to all the trouble of sighing up to these forums..we're the hardcore crowd!)

Whilst the videos and pictures have been great..its also been very limited..not having shown all the planes yet in action? Limited battle scenes, NO weather systems other than clear skys with the occasional cloud & so on, I don't get the sense what we've been shown is a finished game. I could be wrong, I hope I am! I've worked in the games bizz for a long time and the lack of updates is very unusual even for a game/sim like this. Anyway I'll be happy to be proved wrong..!

I'll apologise for the tone of my first post actually - am a little bit fed up by people posting speculation as hard fact. Some of my own speculation below

I agree with you totally on the 'unfinished' feel and the lack of video, general promotion, etc and I certainly didn't take offense.

I've just reached a different conclusion - and that is that the game will be released 'as is' - with a considerable amount of polishing and adding of features needed before it reaches full potential.

It seems that it is coming out 'come what may' - probably of necessity.

I think the lack of video, etc is mainly down to a hectic last month of tweaking, fixing and firefighting on the important software aspects to the detriment of everything else. Far from ideal - could be a bit of a shambles behind the scenes actually - I would guess that a lot of midnight oil is being burned and that the stress levels are peaking just about now.

Given all that, and if I was in their position - with my financial security and the last 5+ year's work depending on the next few weeks - I think I'd let this forum 'go hang' as well.

I'll say again - you may be right, but it's speculation. The last firm evidence we have is from Oleg saying that 25th was a 'GO'....and that was said in full knowledge of and in direct reponse to the wave of panic concerning later release dates appearing on several US sites. As to the reasons for those later dates - who knows? But it is conceivable that they are just wrong.

The Kraken
03-11-2011, 08:22 PM
Wonderfull movie !

It’s so realistic that it’s almost impossible to make the difference with the reality …

Yeah they even have a lens flare! In your face Oleg! :-P

I would hope they'd first make any version of FS with that quality... but then again, given their previous efforts and the little that is known so far about "Microsoft Flight", I don't really care. Great marketing though ;)

Avimimus
03-11-2011, 08:24 PM
Hi,

Today there are just small video and several screen shots. Next week - probably some new battle scene in video.

Who needs battle scenes? I suspect this sim may rescue civilian flying from the boredom of ATCs and flight-plans. It is time to return to the days of visual flying and navigation!

Redwan
03-11-2011, 08:29 PM
Do you believe everything you see? This is an computer generated movie clip and no ingame shootage. The stock FSX is a piece of crap without any 3rd party addons.

It's not an FSX trailer but an MS Flight trailer, the new sim announced by Microsoft. And I have never seen a FS or FSX trailer based on something else that the game itself. Notice that the symbolic omission of the word "simulator" gives us an idea of what to expect :grin:

Nanuk
03-11-2011, 08:30 PM
Lovely Video.

I must admit though when watching i was hoping the music was gonna change to something more sinister and those moths were gonna get bounced by some 109's and ripped apart!!!

;)

Avimimus
Maybe a feature like 'camera shaking' would have made Oleg's video look less candid and naive (the planes look like standing still above the water .... I almost felt assleep watching that ...) And Oleg's clouds look ridiculous compared to MS.

MS was pre-rendered (are the clouds even 3d?)... perhaps you should take a nap and visit again when your attention span is up? Current research suggests 8-9 hours of sleep per day...

jt_medina
Looking really nice

Tree_UK
03-11-2011, 08:34 PM
Can we please see some proper 'in game' video, the movie trailers are nice but I want to see some bombs dropping and ground explosions, and maybe let us hear the sounds?? Come on Oleg sell your game to us. :confused:

furbs
03-11-2011, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the update! very pretty planes, BUT really...please can we for once with next week being 7 days from release of you ground breaking, new bar setting sim thats being in development for 5 years have a video with some in game SOUND???

Or are we not allowed to hear COD till we pay for it?

Again thanks for the pretty pics.

PS. Have the development videos that Luthier said we would be drown in 4 weeks ago been cancelled?

Koyan
03-11-2011, 08:45 PM
I'm thinking that the bell will ring, then from a First Person view we would run (no user control just a First Person sequence) to the aircraft, step in and then take control from the usual position?

I still yearn for a Pilot body in the cockpit view with legs and arms, as we now have 6-DoF to look around the body parts if they obstruct a view, but I wonder if the Fisrt Person POV scramble could be possible (even if it's in a later patch as we are so-close to release).

Thanks for the update, cheers, MP

I think such things are very well possible. I've seen a video of a recent bus driver simulation where the driver leaves his seat and starts a walk around (there was just a little, hardly noticable jump from seat to standing position in the sequence). So, should be possible for flight sims as well.

I would like this too. You run with the AI pilots whos first in their Spit and ready to go :)

kendo65
03-11-2011, 08:49 PM
I agree Tree and Furbs. Would be really great to see (hear) a video with all the details and action.

I do suspect that the reason for it not having happened already is because they are having to push it right to the wire to get everything to work.

I understand, but still, disappointed that we haven't seen more at this stage.

What I really can't understand is that the best - by far - videos were the 2 unofficial and swiftly-pulled of the Hurri and 109. They did more to sell me the game than all the rest

The Kraken
03-11-2011, 08:51 PM
And I have never seen a FS or FSX trailer based on something else that the game itself.

Indeed MS would never do that - and FSX will already look similar to that trailer once the DX10 support is fully implemented:

http://blogs.justflight.info/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/fsx-dx10-artistimpression.jpg

Not sure though what the latest state of that project is given that the dev team has been disbanded...

Koyan
03-11-2011, 08:57 PM
I liked the video very much, the smoothness of everything. Only two things that were bothering me. The sun, although low should reflect on the sea surface. And for the same, the Dover cliffs seem far above the sea surface because they miss reflection on the sea as well.

wildone_106
03-11-2011, 09:01 PM
If thats the case Im cool with it, I bought the DCSA10 'beta' version knowing full well it was not complete and still enjoyed it, I guess it would be hard to say that officially..the game is coming out but there's a lot of work still needed to be done. And I know they are very good about updating it YEARS after its been released..so I hope what Oleg said will still happen on Match 25th!

I'll apologise for the tone of my first post actually - am a little bit fed up by people posting speculation as hard fact. Some of my own speculation below

I agree with you totally on the 'unfinished' feel and the lack of video, general promotion, etc and I certainly didn't take offense.

I've just reached a different conclusion - and that is that the game will be released 'as is' - with a considerable amount of polishing and adding of features needed before it reaches full potential.

It seems that it is coming out 'come what may' - probably of necessity.

I think the lack of video, etc is mainly down to a hectic last month of tweaking, fixing and firefighting on the important software aspects to the detriment of everything else. Far from ideal - could be a bit of a shambles behind the scenes actually - I would guess that a lot of midnight oil is being burned and that the stress levels are peaking just about now.

Given all that, and if I was in their position - with my financial security and the last 5+ year's work depending on the next few weeks - I think I'd let this forum 'go hang' as well.

I'll say again - you may be right, but it's speculation. The last firm evidence we have is from Oleg saying that 25th was a 'GO'....and that was said in full knowledge of and in direct reponse to the wave of panic concerning later release dates appearing on several US sites. As to the reasons for those later dates - who knows? But it is conceivable that they are just wrong.

Tree_UK
03-11-2011, 09:01 PM
I liked the video very much, the smoothness of everything. Only two things that were bothering me. The sun, although low should reflect on the sea surface. And for the same, the Dover cliffs seem far above the sea surface because they miss reflection on the sea as well.

The smoothness may not be a true indication of the game though, It could be made using the new video tools which allow you to smooth FPS drop out when making movies.

Kikuchiyo
03-11-2011, 09:04 PM

There is a confusion of release here on both parties. a) It was Oleg that said it would be out on the 25th, and specifically Ilya said the Digital Distribution version would be out globally then. b) the pre-order sights are for boxed retail version which Ilya also said he could make no speculation on.

Fafnir_6
03-11-2011, 09:15 PM
I agree Tree and Furbs. Would be really great to see (hear) a video with all the details and action.

I do suspect that the reason for it not having happened already is because they are having to push it right to the wire to get everything to work.

What I really can't understand is that the best - by far - videos were the 2 unofficial and swiftly-pulled of the Hurri and 109. They did more to sell me the game than all the rest

+1 Those vids were awesome. I am unconvinced about those engine sounds, but the vids were great.

Fafnir_6

major_setback
03-11-2011, 09:23 PM
Great video. Thanks for presenting it!

A couple of points though: the waves look much too big compared to the cliffs.

The clouds are evenly lit, not darker at the top or bottom; because the sun is approximately at their level. I think they should look darker at the bottom, as the sky is illuminating them very much more than the relflected light from the sea.

Space Communist
03-11-2011, 09:33 PM
Beautiful video, but one thing I was surprised not to see was a certain "jitter" in the instruments. Now maybe somebody can set me right here because I have only been in the cockpit of an (airborne) aircraft once before and it was a 50 year old Piper, but in that thing the needles just kind of bounced around the indicated points on the various dials rather than smoothly pointing at one place. Was that effect just due the age of the aircraft?

JG53Frankyboy
03-11-2011, 09:42 PM
the video, the screenshots, looks all very nice !!

BUT, this is seriously ment as an update to inform costumers of a COMBAT flightsim that is planed to be released in two weeks ??
well, actually the best infos so far were from vidoes from Gameshows, two leaked (and fast deleted) videos on youtube and an article on a russian ínternetmagazine !

And no official words about Steam ?! Not that there was a little bit of discussion about that in several forums the last days, no........

i have already preorderd this game and still will buy it, so, no worry - but....

anyway, thx for beeing online every friday !

Space Communist
03-11-2011, 09:52 PM
And no official words about Steam ?! Not that there was a little bit of discussion about that in several forums the last days, no........
!

The game definitely uses steam. I can recall seeing steam overlay messages on the Igromir footage, so that's good news. But yeah I am wondering when they will have a steam page up, I am waiting to buy it there.

airmalik
03-11-2011, 09:55 PM
Hi,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOqlO14zQmg

Superb video and screenshots! The Tiger Moths look photorealistic and their movement is very convincing with one exception - just like IL2 the plane targeted by the camera seems welded to it.

Ideally the camera should appear as if it's mounted on another plane and move accordingly. To simulate this, if the targeting of the camera lags the movement of the target plane a bit the movement should look more convincing.

I dislike the overdone 'camera shake' in videos but if the shake parameters (axis, intensity, period etc.) are configurable this would be a good way to go.

At a minimum if the camera can be 'slewed' so the target isn't always in the middle of the screen (and maybe even moved off-screen) it'd help.

This would obviously be useful for videomakers but I'm sure there are many people like me who spend a lot of time viewing replays and admiring aircraft, explosions etc. from different camera angles.

If this is not planned, will the API allow modding of cameras?

JG53Frankyboy
03-11-2011, 10:02 PM
yes, i ment some further, more detailed info about Steam. UBI was also not able to give them this week.
Just this , very short, announcement on thos Blog and off you go....

Infos like, how will DVD version hanlde Steam, when will it available on Steam...things like that. How will the Multiplay looks like exactly.

I, guess, all interesting things we will know not before the game is ready to install/download. Sure , not all can be told before, but at least some. And not this "joyride" with some biplanes in "hallelulja music"....

RAF fighterinterception on a german Bomberformation under Radar control with full sound or selecting armament of a Ju88 and than go shipphunting over the Channel - that would make the community fanatic i would guess, at least a lot of them ;)
As i said, we are expecting a COMBAT simulation - not a peacefull flighttraining.

and i apologize the rude tone of my posts! I'm just a little bit dissapointed.

But all that is actually not important , thinking about the people in Libya and Japan :(

Kikuchiyo
03-11-2011, 10:20 PM
yes, i ment some further, more detailed info about Steam. UBI was also not able to give them this week.
Just this , very short, announcement on thos Blog and off you go....

Infos like, how will DVD version hanlde Steam, when will it available on Steam...things like that. How will the Multiplay looks like exactly.

I, guess, all interesting things we will know not before the game is ready to install/download. Sure , not all can be told before, but at least some. And not this "joyride" with some biplanes in "hallelulja music"....

RAF fighterinterception on a german Bomberformation under Radar control with full sound or selecting armament of a Ju88 and than go shipphunting over the Channel - that would make the community fanatic i would guess, at least a lot of them ;)
As i said, we are expecting a COMBAT simulation - not a peacefull flighttraining.

and i apologize the rude tone of my posts! I'm just a little bit dissapointed.

But all that is actually not important , thinking about the people in Libya and Japan :(

I suspect part of their agreement with Ubisoft being the retail publisher was that they could not offer the Digital version before 3/25. I am speculating, but it makes sense with the information we have been given.

GnigruH
03-11-2011, 10:44 PM

Frankly, I watched this ms video twice, then even wondered for a few seconds, which I do only on special occasions... and I still can't understand what makes you so enthusiastic and 'high' about it.
It's plain, cheap, cliche, and shows almost nothing.

'When I was a child, I dreamt I could fly'
WTF, a worst grade hollywood love story trailer from mid '90?
Does it suppose to be moving? Make me cry?

BTW, I'm not a ms hater, neither a member of any other flight sim sect.

Richie
03-11-2011, 10:49 PM

I'm not trusting this video one bit as having anything to do with what the actual product actually looks like. Remember this.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6VvcM7MQp4

Sauf
03-11-2011, 10:51 PM
After reading through the posts I think the friday update 2 weeks from now will read

"Dear all, after putting up with your crap and negativity over the last couple of months we have held a meeting and deceided to keep the game for our own personal use, as it is impossible to keep you all happy no matter what we do, have a good life and I hope you enjoy your ASA spitfires.

Oleg"

Kikuchiyo
03-11-2011, 10:51 PM
I'm not trusting this video one bit as having anything to do with what the actual product actually looks like. Remember this.......

We've seen it over and over with MS they use CG trailers, and shopped photos to show how awesome their games will look. There is absolutely no reason to believe their vids are in game.

ATAG_Dutch
03-11-2011, 10:53 PM
Beautiful video, but one thing I was surprised not to see was a certain "jitter" in the instruments. Now maybe somebody can set me right here because I have only been in the cockpit of an (airborne) aircraft once before and it was a 50 year old Piper, but in that thing the needles just kind of bounced around the indicated points on the various dials rather than smoothly pointing at one place. Was that effect just due the age of the aircraft?

No.

Great video. Thanks for presenting it!

A couple of points though: the waves look much too big compared to the cliffs.

The clouds are evenly lit, not darker at the top or bottom; because the sun is approximately at their level. I think they should look darker at the bottom, as the sky is illuminating them very much more than the relflected light from the sea.

I'm surprised major! Don't you think they know?

The smoothness may not be a true indication of the game though, It could be made using the new video tools which allow you to smooth FPS drop out when making movies.

I'm not surprised here.

I'm really surprised here, Ken.

I've been off the forum for a while, but I have to say it's getting a little barmy (if it wasn't already).

The game/sim is going to be released soon. It's a fair bet that everyone here will buy it (except maybe tree), including all the steam, ubi, DRM moaners.
We'll find out what it's like then. If you don't want to take the financial or other risk, then don't.

Is it possible that 1c games, ubisoft, or Mr Maddox himself doesn't want to show everything, so that we buy it and have a look? The game will then grow by word of mouth, just like Il2 over a period of a decade or more, rather than being simply another over hyped flash in the pan?

Long term sales are desirable after all.

If we were 'drowned' in videos, all the cloud, landscape, wave height, reflection, cliff shadow, tracer (oh for f***s sake), squadron code pigment mix experts would clog up the forum with their usual 'yes but/no you're wrong look at this' blx and just spend their lives arguing about the looks of the tiny details instead of buying the game and playing it.

And yes, I know I've been guilty of it myself on occasions, 'god is in the details' etc (or should it be the devil?).

Just have a bit of patience. We're all going to find out very soon, hopefully.

I've been tinkering with RoF Iron Cross Edition recently. When you're playing it, it looks superb and light years ahead of Il2. (The clouds are well dodgy though and so are the trees and the fields and the grass and the waves, blah blah blah..........)
But as a fellow flying nut I'd recommend it to anyone here.

The videos of Storm of War/Cliffs of Dover/What-Ho, Fritz! look like another quantum leap in comparison.

Have patience, buy the game, have a go, then think about whether you noticed very much of all the things you moaned about.

I've got a feeling that when you're dancing around the sky in mortal combat with an impeccably rendered 109/spit/hurri/whatever, you won't give two hoots about the wave height (how windy was it that day by the way?).

This week's update was really pleasurable for me. A flight of Tigers in the sunset to some really nice music...............ah, yes. I'll have some of that please.:)

The Kraken
03-11-2011, 10:59 PM
We've seen it over and over with MS they use CG trailers, and shopped photos to show how awesome their games will look. There is absolutely no reason to believe their vids are in game.

I have a hard time believing people would really mistake this trailer for an in-game video. Not only is it standard practice by MS to fake such scenes (as you said), it's also completely obvious in itself. Anyway there's no reason to speculate as the other 3 MS Flight trailers show a slightly tuned FSX engine which is not nearly close to that quality.

But maybe people simply want to be lied to, that's why they're so disappointed when Oleg shows us his sim as it is.

furbs
03-11-2011, 11:00 PM
nice post Dutch, but your telling me your not even a bit concerned about the lack of in game footage and sound at this stage of updates?

major_setback
03-11-2011, 11:11 PM
I've got a feeling that when you're dancing around the sky in mortal combat with an impeccably rendered 109/spit/hurri/whatever, you won't give two hoots about the wave height (how windy was it that day by the way?)....

It shouldn't matter how windy it is, from that height you shouldn't see much of the waves at all. They are very much out of scale:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3415/3609715872_3153882508_o.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/major-setback/3609715872_3153882508_ox.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/major-setback/Clipboardvbv5z.jpg

robtek
03-11-2011, 11:13 PM
OM said that we would all be surprised when we play this "game".
How could we, when everything was shown already???

Imho we will all be surprised and happy after installing this software!!!

kendo65
03-11-2011, 11:17 PM

I'm really surprised here, Ken.

I've been off the forum for a while, but I have to say it's getting a little barmy (if it wasn't already).

I know Dutch - it's just been so long - think I'm finally cracking :)

It's hard 'keeping the faith' sometimes.

Truth is I really don't know what to make any more about the lack of real detail + video on some of the features. Either they really are being pushed right down to the wire to get the features ready, or Oleg is a really great poker player and is going to hold those cards close all the way to the end.

Richie
03-11-2011, 11:22 PM
Does anyone know if the game has gone gold yet?

kirq
03-11-2011, 11:25 PM
2 Weeks to release and still no real ingame footage. Few ground objects screenshots and short vid over the water. I don't know what to think about it. The best selling vids CoD had so far were those two unofficial vids that has been quickly pulled out. I don't get it at all, it looks like 1C/ubisoft don't want to sell this game. I canceled my CE pre-order last week because lack of any ingame footage is a bit fishy at this point. I'll wait untill release, read forums, watch ingame vids on YT (finally!) and then I'll decide whether to buy it or wait for some patches.

nynek
03-11-2011, 11:35 PM
2 Weeks to release and still no real ingame footage. Few ground objects screenshots and short vid over the water. I don't know what to think about it. The best selling vids CoD had so far were those two unofficial vids that has been quickly pulled out. I don't get it at all, it looks like 1C/ubisoft don't want to sell this game. I canceled my CE pre-order last week because lack of any ingame footage is a bit fishy at this point. I'll wait untill release, read forums, watch ingame vids on YT (finally!) and then I'll decide whether to buy it or wait for some patches.

Oleg and kammanda

Don't worry I'll buy Two copies

to kirq

...a rob jak chcesz chlopie....tylko nie placz

mazex
03-11-2011, 11:41 PM

The leaked videos where just as smooth (as I remember it right) and there was a lot of more action on them (and from a rather mid-range rig)... There is a bit of stuttering when the camera is scraping the ground and why would that happen with the "post-action-render"?

zapatista
03-11-2011, 11:43 PM
Dumb question:

Why is the game called Battle of Britain in Russian but Cliffs of Dover elsewhere?

if it is still called Battle of Britain in russia (is it ?) that would be because it is oleg's preferred name, and since 1C does the distribution and retail for that region they can call it whatever they like

ubi as the distributor for the west has renamed it, thinking (wrongly) that keeping the old il2 name of the first series will increase sales. being french, the marketing department at ubi thought it sounded interesting to call it "cliffs of dover"

kalimba
03-11-2011, 11:45 PM

:rolleyes: Yep..."Eventually"..Missed it !

Got me !

:cool:

kirq
03-11-2011, 11:48 PM
Oleg and kammanda

Don't worry I'll buy Two copies

Great, You can send me extra one!

to kirq

...a rob jak chcesz chlopie....tylko nie placz

to nynek

Oczywiście, że zrobię jak chcę. Zaś Ty wyluzuj chłopie bo to forum nie służy wyłącznie do deprecjonowania jakiejkolwiek krytyki i klepania twórców po plecach. Zaś oni chyba zupełnie nie zdają sobie sprawy jak zerową promocję ma ten tytuł. Nawet osoby które czekają na tę grę od lat (jak ja i wielu innych) mają już wątpliwości.

dflion
03-11-2011, 11:52 PM
Thanks Oleg,
Excellent Tiger Moth video, I can't wait to 'give it a spin' (literally). The attention to detail in all shots is looking great - some new ground objects, field hospital, field kitchen, gun emplacements etc. I particularly liked the the Spitfire refuelling scene and the MG (I think) sports car - lots of new atmosphere for the flight sim.
From my point of view I feel the grass, field and tree foliage colours are getting better all the time. I know some members are very fastidious, though I always remind myself, this new flight sim is a continual 'work in progress', which is how you kept improving IL2, as new versions were released.
DFLion

BadAim
03-11-2011, 11:58 PM

Truth is I really don't know what to make any more about the lack of real detail + video on some of the features. Either they really are being pushed right down to the wire to get the features ready, or Oleg is a really great poker player and is going to hold those cards close all the way to the end.

We've been waiting a long time. The answer to your final statement is yes. You don't need much to keep the faith: just what you already know of Oleg and his work and what he's shown us so far.

He's already told us that they're working on it right up to the last minute (and beyond), and that he want's to keep a lot of surprises for us.

None of this is anything new for Oleg and co. I think it's quite charming.

kendo65
03-12-2011, 12:00 AM
I find it hard to believe that I'm actually posting this craziness - just put it down to pre-release tension :)

I just want to say that I don't buy Tree's much-repeated 'post action render theory' on the videos:

1. If they were going to use this method to cheat us ('cos that's what it amounts to) the logical thing would be to use it to show 200 bombers over London, with flak, Spits, 109s, etc, etc.

2. Pretty stupid broadcasting to everyone that the slow-rendering feature exists at all if they had even an inkling that they would use it to cheat. ie they'd keep it secret - then we (or some of us) wouldn't suspect anything.

3. They'd get found out when game releases. The boost to initial sales would in no way compensate for the damage to their reputation and subsequent loss of sales in the future.

4. And this is by far the biggest and most obvious reason - they are respectable and honourable people who care about what they do. They haven't shown any tendency in the past to over-hype products or cheat anyone. They've been brutally honest also about the state of play concerning the various features that won't make the initial release.

So please Tree, do us a favour, give it a rest

ATAG_Dutch
03-12-2011, 12:09 AM
nice post Dutch, but your telling me your not even a bit concerned about the lack of in game footage and sound at this stage of updates?

Not concerned at all, furbs me ole mate.:grin:

It shouldn't matter how windy it is, from that height you shouldn't see much of the waves at all. They are very much out of scale:

I'd say it's not the waves, it's the cliffs from those pics. maybe a 2000ft difference in altitude, too.:rolleyes::grin: Only joking major!;)

...or Oleg is a really great poker player and is going to hold those cards close all the way to the end.

Aaah Rats! Badaim beat me to it!:grin:

zauii
03-12-2011, 12:17 AM

Wow just wow, what a load of bullshit, you do really enjoy spreading a bad word about this sim don't you?
For once if this was all a marketing stunt, they'd for sure go all in with insane trailers , a few hundred planes and action going on everywhere not the other way around.

No.. no just no, some people should just be banned from buying certain games tbh.

Jughead
03-12-2011, 12:21 AM
So, where's the hundreds of bombers and fighters? Is this game to represent the Battle of Britain? Do they teach different history in Russia? Maybe my history is wrong, but I thought the Germans sent huge amounts of bombers and fighters and Britain responded appropriately.

zauii
03-12-2011, 12:25 AM
So, where's the hundreds of bombers and fighters? Is this game to represent the Battle of Britain? Do they teach different history in Russia? Maybe my history is wrong, but I thought the Germans sent huge amounts of bombers and fighters and Britain responded appropriately.

Last time i checked this was a realistic game not a 1:1 of the real BoB, you're welcome to do an attempt of 1:1 yourself with current technology, money and time.
Looking forward to your amazing product, "were is the ability to go take a dump in arma2.. i want my money back its unrealistic.."

Insuber
03-12-2011, 12:30 AM
I believe that Tree is right. Not a cheat by OM though, just an inherent feature of the movie making tool, if I understood correctly Luthier's post.

Cheers,
Insuber

Jughead
03-12-2011, 12:42 AM
Last time i checked this was a realistic game not a 1:1 of the real BoB, you're welcome to do an attempt of 1:1 yourself with current technology, money and time.
Looking forward to your amazing product, "were is the ability to go take a dump in arma2.. i want my money back its unrealistic.."

Ok, point taken. 100 planes then. Or heck, say 50-70. Because 4 ain't gonna get it.

proton45
03-12-2011, 12:44 AM
I find it hard to believe that I'm actually posting this craziness - just put it down to pre-release tension :)

I just want to say that I don't buy Tree's much-repeated 'post action render theory' on the videos:

1. If they were going to use this method to cheat us ('cos that's what it amounts to) the logical thing would be to use it to show 200 bombers over London, with flak, Spits, 109s, etc, etc.

2. Pretty stupid broadcasting to everyone that the slow-rendering feature exists at all if they had even an inkling that they would use it to cheat. ie they'd keep it secret - then we (or some of us) wouldn't suspect anything.

3. They'd get found out when game releases. The boost to initial sales would in no way compensate for the damage to their reputation and subsequent loss of sales in the future.

4. And this is by far the biggest and most obvious reason - they are respectable and honourable people who care about what they do. They haven't shown any tendency in the past to over-hype products or cheat anyone. They've been brutally honest also about the state of play concerning the various features that won't make the initial release.

Tree is just trolling again. The one thing you can always count on, is...the higher the excitement & expectation is, the harder the trolls work at...um, being trolls.

Trolls sense the heightened joy and expectation, and they want to bring people down to their negative level. The one thing you can always count on...the better things look, the harder they work...

Bottom line...I'm not to worried about how good the game will be, things are looking pretty good.

Kikuchiyo
03-12-2011, 12:45 AM

1. If they were going to use this method to cheat us ('cos that's what it amounts to) the logical thing would be to use it to show 200 bombers over London, with flak, Spits, 109s, etc, etc. AND they would max out Anti-aliasing instead of showing us an obviously minimally if completely unantialliased "movie" of the game.

It only makes sense

Tree is just trolling again. The one thing you can always count on, is...the higher the excitement & expectation is, the harder the trolls work at...um, being trolls.

Trolls sense the heightened joy and expectation, and they want to bring people down to their negative level. The one thing you can always count on...the better things look, the harder they work...

Bottom line...I'm not to worried about how good the game will be, things are looking pretty good.

I don't think Tree is so much a troll as he is just very pessimistic.

White Owl
03-12-2011, 01:34 AM

Most aircraft, even very old ones, don't have that problem. Of course some instruments are more sensitive than others, depending on what information they're displaying. But if every needle was vibrating all over the place, I would be... concerned.

airmalik
03-12-2011, 02:52 AM
It shouldn't matter how windy it is, from that height you shouldn't see much of the waves at all.

Agreed. The waves make it appear you're much lower which in turn makes the cliffs look smaller. Scale's definitely off.

CharveL
03-12-2011, 02:57 AM
Tree is actually (likely) right since the man himself said before the track renderer doesn't care what the frame rate is, it would just take longer to render the track on that slower machine.

You're all making something out of nothing (big surprise) because this is about showing a preview of the sim, not a submission to benchmarking geeks.

Redwan
03-12-2011, 03:26 AM
Can we please see some proper 'in game' video, the movie trailers are nice but I want to see some bombs dropping and ground explosions, and maybe let us hear the sounds?? Come on Oleg sell your game to us. :confused:

It seems that oleg doesnt have the same approach of a flight sim ...
It looks like an influent member of the dev team imposes his romatocis vieuw of CFS by some glamour rose clouds and hasy skies ... because his heart is under the influence of some russian beauty (the one we saw already with small xxxx like mosquito bites ;---)

Blackdog_kt
03-12-2011, 04:24 AM

I have no real experience on this, but from purely academic knowledge it might depends on a lot of factors. Maybe modern, more precise or even just well maintained or newly installed instruments could show little jitter while the opposite could show more.

On the other hand, it could also depend on the weather. When flying through turbulence for example i would expect that airspeed gauge to be jumping all over the place.

Finally, the various stages of flight and maneuvers could have an effect. We know it takes some time for the propeller governor to adjust the pitch in a constant speed propeller (not much but still noticeable), so if we are putting the aircraft through violent maneuvers with rapid changes of pitch, angle of attack, airspeed, etc, the changes in the prop blades angle of attack might necessitate a lot of pitch corrections from the prop governor to maintain the selected RPM, to the point the governor lags a little bit behind, overcompensates, catches up and starts all over again...the result would be a small oscillation of the needle around the selected RPM mark.

Since this is a video showing smooth flying with relaxed maneuvers in what appears to be calm weather, we might not be able to draw a conclusion on whether it's modeled or not. It might be there, but the circumstances might not be correct for it to manifest itself?

Interestingly enough, in the first ever CoD video we saw, there was quite a lot instrument jitter, and i really mean a lot. I don't know if this was due to the video being captured on a much earlier version of the simulator or the fact that the pilot was throwing that Spit around all over the place, pretty close to some big clouds as well (ie, possible air currents, thermals, turbulence, etc).

This is the video i'm referring to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMFFQGryWhk

Granted, that's an extreme amount of shaking in the needles. Perhaps a real life pilot could provide better information on this, as i'm going purely by what i know from reading a few aviation textbooks and "how instruments work" articles on the web.

There's nothing wrong with that. When we preorder a game, any game, we take a risk. If we don't want to take risks, we wait for the reviews from magazines, websites and most importantly, the community itself.

I preordered the game, which means i decided to take a risk. I can talk about the things i like or don't like based on what we've already been shown and know.

If i don't know something i'm going to ask for more information. I might get an answer or not. If not, depending on how important that information is to my decision of buying the game, i might decide to go on with taking the risk (if i don't mind too much) or wait for the reviews myself (if it's very important for me).

I've made a big fuss myself over the lack of choice in using Steam. However, i made that fuss after i learned from an official source that steam will be required, i didn't assume it would be there before it was even announced. ;)

It's all a balancing act: i make a list in my head of the things i know about the game, weigh the things i like against the things i don't, if the outcome is positive i buy the game and ask for an extra option in the features i don't like so that it gets even better for me and everyone who might share my opinion.

The thing is, we can't expect to have in-depth knowledge of the game when we preorder, that comes after flying the sim or reading a lot of reviews. If you want to be among the first to fly this sim you will have to take the risk and possibly put up with some annoying things as well, if you want a better product and more information before buying you will have to wait. And to be honest, there's nothing wrong with either approach.

The only thing that would be wrong is to expect this to be perfect on release day, be able to play it on that same day and also know the ins and outs of it all. That's physically impossible and we'll have to compromise. I'm not saying the marketing is stellar thus far, but on the other hand mr Maddox and his team are not publishers whose job is to sell the product. They are developers and their job is to make it better.

I would love an in-depth 10 minute video. However, if making that video means spending just a day that could be used for optimization, bug fixes or even some work on a future patch or expansion, i prefer them to do coding instead of promoting. The blame for the lack of promotion probably rests more on Ubi's shoulders than the developer's.

Sure, maybe Oleg hasn't supplied them with in-depth knowledge of certain features, but on the other hand i don't expect there would be enough people in Ubi marketing that could explain to us what's the difference between a Spit with a fixed pitch prop and a Spit with a constant speed prop, neither would they know why it works the way it does.

However they could definitely crank up realism to the max, throw up a quick mission builder scenario, press the autopilot key as soon as they spawn and let the AI do its thing, then save that to a track and capture it on video. Rinse and repeat for a variety of different aircraft types, join them all together and we'd have a nice 10 minute video full of air combat. Oleg has supplied them with enough to do this, the fact they don't is not his fault ;)

Actually, that's my take on things too. If they can "cheat" the fps, why not show something massive in scale? I don't mind Tree having a different opinion even if he's somewhat spamming it at times (let's be honest here, who doesn't from time to time?), just saying what it looks like to me.

If i wanted to fool my potential customers i'd be going all the way, not give them something in-between.

I bet the game engine is capable of it. Our PCs on the other hand probably won't be able to run that even on lowest graphics settings due to the amount of complexity in the flight, damage and system models, probably at least until an extra 3-5 years have passed ;)

LukeFF
03-12-2011, 05:06 AM
Blackdog, seriously, your posts are wayyyy too long. ;)

LukeFF
03-12-2011, 05:07 AM
It seems that oleg doesnt have the same approach of a flight sim ...
It looks like an influent member of the dev team imposes his romatocis vieuw of CFS by some glamour rose clouds and hasy skies ... because his heart is under the influence of some russian beauty (the one we saw already with small xxxx like mosquito bites ;---)

What?

Dude, step away from the computer for a while and enjoy the outdoors. ;)

Robert
03-12-2011, 06:08 AM

So are Stephen King novels, but that doesn't mean they're not fun to read. LOL I do wonder if Blackdog gets paid by the inch, though.

Royraiden
03-12-2011, 06:40 AM

That's true! But great posts anyways.

swiss
03-12-2011, 07:21 AM
So are Stephen King novels, but that doesn't mean they're not fun to read.

That was one of the reasons I switched to Koontz.
(Back in the days when I still read books)

Tree_UK
03-12-2011, 07:28 AM

So by asking to see some in game footage makes me a Troll?
By pointing out that the promo movie might have taken advantage of the in game tool that allows you to remove FPS drop that Luthier told us about but everyone else bar a few seem to have forgotton about also makes me a Troll?
Wanting to hear some sound or see a bomb drop somewhere makes me a Troll as well?

So who are the real Trolls here? Maybe its people like you who tell us dont worry guys just go and spend your cash on a game that you havent seen running, Oleg wont let you down, all pure speculation 'pick me ups', from the same old diciples. Well as you can see two weeks away from release and the excuses are wearing a bit thin, even some of the most faithfull are begining to question why we aren't seeing any real footage or hearing any sounds.
In real terms weve seen feck all of how this product performs. We know the Battle of Britian theme as been dropped because the game engine cannot handle more than 21 bombers but obviously for the sheep heads this is not a worry, but for us Trolls its slightly concerning.

Insuber
03-12-2011, 07:35 AM
It is rare to see Tree losing his temper. Maybe because he his right:

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpost.php?p=220778&postcount=291

"If we record a video with fraps, it won't give you any idea of the performance since fraps cuts the FPS in half. If we record a video with our built-in track-to-video converter, that records videos at a fluid framerate on any machine in the world."

End of discussion (for myself, of course :D).

Kikuchiyo
03-12-2011, 07:59 AM

a) By pointing out that the promo movie might have taken advantage of the in game tool that allows you to remove FPS drop that Luthier told us about but everyone else bar a few seem to have forgotton about also makes me a Troll?

b)Wanting to hear some sound or see a bomb drop somewhere makes me a Troll as well?

c)So who are the real Trolls here? Maybe its people like you who tell us dont worry guys just go and spend your cash on a game that you havent seen running, Oleg wont let you down, all pure speculation 'pick me ups', from the same old diciples. Well as you can see two weeks away from release and the excuses are wearing a bit thin, even some of the most faithfull are begining to question why we aren't seeing any real footage or hearing any sounds.

d)In real terms weve seen feck all of how this product performs. We know the Battle of Britian theme as been dropped because the game engine cannot handle more than 21 bombers but obviously for the sheep heads this is not a worry, but for us Trolls its slightly concerning.

Tree I think you are a stand up guy if a bit pessimistic at times so please don't take any of this the wrong way.

a) You didn't say it might be taking advantage of the render, rather assumed it was with no evidence one way or the other.

b) I think wanting to hear some sound is perfectly justifiable.

c) No one is saying spend your money blindly. Most have said "you don't have to buy it day one or even preorder you can wait for reviews and the community assessments."

d) We have seen active play videos that have progressed from slide shows over land to running fairly smoothly over land. Furthermore it's not the game engine that "can't handle 21 bombers" it's current PCs that can't crunch the number of calculations required for 21 bombers.

Please, if you are in doubt don't spend your money before you have more information. I will buy it as soon as it is available to me, and I assure you I will be back here either raising hell or praising the game. No one should demand that you just have utter faith that the developers of any game will do a perfect job or that it will be without fault. We must wait and judge the game on the merits. There will be many many people that will get this day 1 and of them I am sure many will report back to this community with their reviews/complaints/praises.

Your concerns are justifiable, and any reasonable person won't fault you for that.

tourmaline
03-12-2011, 08:02 AM
:grin: LOL, had the same feeling but unfortunately it didn't happen.

That would be a nice movie scene, casual flying, all of a sudden dozens of germans all over them.

Very nice video and screenshots, Oleg and team.

Concerning release date:

amazon usa has allready changed the release date from 24th of march to 24th of April...

So, i think 24th of march is out of the question.

Lovely Video.

I must admit though when watching i was hoping the music was gonna change to something more sinister and those moths were gonna get bounced by some 109's and ripped apart!!!

;)

Tree_UK
03-12-2011, 08:35 AM
Tree I think you are a stand up guy if a bit pessimistic at times so please don't take any of this the wrong way.

a) You didn't say it might be taking advantage of the render, rather assumed it was with no evidence one way or the other.

b) I think wanting to hear some sound is perfectly justifiable.

c) No one is saying spend your money blindly. Most have said "you don't have to buy it day one or even preorder you can wait for reviews and the community assessments."

d) We have seen active play videos that have progressed from slide shows over land to running fairly smoothly over land. Furthermore it's not the game engine that "can't handle 21 bombers" it's current PCs that can't crunch the number of calculations required for 21 bombers.

Please, if you are in doubt don't spend your money before you have more information. I will buy it as soon as it is available to me, and I assure you I will be back here either raising hell or praising the game. No one should demand that you just have utter faith that the developers of any game will do a perfect job or that it will be without fault. We must wait and judge the game on the merits. There will be many many people that will get this day 1 and of them I am sure many will report back to this community with their reviews/complaints/praises.

Your concerns are justifiable, and any reasonable person won't fault you for that.

Mate your points are valid and of course and I wont take it the wrong way :grin:

However, theres no doubt FPS issues have got better since they dropped all the features, but so far we have only seen a few aircraft over land, previous footage showed total lock ups with just one aircraft over land (the russian game show). This still doesn't fill me with confidence for airbattles with 30+ planes. Insuber obviously reads the forums and you can see in his post above that The movies made by the Devs have no bearing what so ever on how well the game will run, the track to video convertor shows fluid frame rate on any PC.

Dano
03-12-2011, 09:00 AM
The 21 bombers was tuned for MINIMUM spec machines, quit making out it's a limit for all machines.

Tree_UK
03-12-2011, 09:30 AM
The 21 bombers was tuned for MINIMUM spec machines, quit making out it's a limit for all machines.

Thats the max amount of bombers in the campaign by my understaning, surely you would think that if the game runs well, you would increase the bomber amount and let the users turn down all other details/aspects such as ground textures, AA, and resolution etc, rather than reduce the Battle of Britain to a small fight in a pub!

booterboy
03-12-2011, 09:32 AM
Lack of real vids and product promotion less than 2 weeks from release
is a real concern.
Has the game not gone Gold yet?
Im defo going to buy Cod,just going to wait a few months until properly
optimised.
Ubi have done a terrible job of promoting Cod.Checked about 20/30 online
game retailers over the past 2 weeks and can only find 2 where Cod is
actually mentioned.
Wish Oleg and the team all the best because we need dedicated pc dev teams
like them to keep pc gaming alive.

Insuber
03-12-2011, 09:43 AM
Booterboy - you are right, I hope that 1C did a better job in Russia to launch CoD. I don't feel overwhelmed by Ubi's marketing.

Dano
03-12-2011, 09:43 AM
Thats the max amount of bombers in the campaign by my understaning,

Yes, because it was tuned for minimum spec machines.

surely you would think that if the game runs well, you would increase the bomber amount and let the users turn down all other details/aspects such as ground textures, AA, and resolution etc, rather than reduce the Battle of Britain to a small fight in a pub!

Are you really expecting to be able to turn up graphics settings on a minimum spec machine? It'll have to run with lowest settings from the off, that's why it's called a minimum spec.

Tree_UK
03-12-2011, 09:47 AM
Yes, because it was tuned for minimum spec machines.

Are you really expecting to be able to turn up graphics settings on a minimum spec machine? It'll have to run with lowest settings from the off, that's why it's called a minimum spec.

Then you need to take a trip to 'Tree C World' and let me build you a stonking new Rig :grin:

McHilt
03-12-2011, 09:50 AM
Usually I have no real constructive input to add here but just to give my opinion because I like what I see in the updates but to say:

"some folks should be a little more patient instead of acting like spoiled kiddies every other thread"

is more constructive than what I read from the last update threads in general.

Be happy man...;)

kaisey
03-12-2011, 10:16 AM
Thats the max amount of bombers in the campaign by my understaning, surely you would think that if the game runs well, you would increase the bomber amount and let the users turn down all other details/aspects such as ground textures, AA, and resolution etc, rather than reduce the Battle of Britain to a small fight in a pub!

I don't come here a lot, just for the updates but Tree, do you ever have anything positve to say?

Do you think OM would do anything that would damage sales of this game?

You take a comment made by Luthier and run with it when he was only trying to shut you up.

If you are unhappy, don't buy it

MD_Titus
03-12-2011, 10:26 AM
the usual (n -1) pages of guff?

Skoshi Tiger
03-12-2011, 10:28 AM
the usual (n -1) pages of guff?

One page of non-guff? Your being very generous!!!!! ;)

TheGrunch
03-12-2011, 11:02 AM
That's a matter of opinion, isn't it? Seems like Oleg would prefer that the game looks good and has fewer aircraft at the minimum spec. Have you *seen* the minimum spec? It's not the kind of spec you would expect to run this game with a lot of aircraft, or indeed any new game. Wait until the campaign makers get their groove on. :)

kendo65
03-12-2011, 11:02 AM
It is rare to see Tree losing his temper. Maybe because he his right:

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpost.php?p=220778&postcount=291

"If we record a video with fraps, it won't give you any idea of the performance since fraps cuts the FPS in half. If we record a video with our built-in track-to-video converter, that records videos at a fluid framerate on any machine in the world."

End of discussion (for myself, of course :D).

I completely disagree.

Tree wants things both ways - he is asking WHY we have not seen any videos over London with scores of aircraft and lots of action? His conclusion - because the game can't run it. So, in this case, the devs are refusing to use the rendering feature to produce something spectacular.

At the same time he is saying that the videos we have seen are SUSPECT because they could have been made using the rendering feature. So, the devs 'may' have decided to cheat but are limiting themselves to producing only small-scale cheats that do nothing to address the concerns of people wanting to see the flashy stuff.

It makes no sense. It is logically inconsistent.

I also hope that my post didn't come across as a personal attack on Tree. I'm only addressing his argument. I myself have grown a little impatient and am struggling for reasons why there haven't been any official vids showing these things. (Interestingly, there have been unofficial vids showing a lot of these features which may suggest that the devs are suffering from 'perfectionitis'.)

There are 3 reasons I can think of why we haven't seen those vids:

1. The Pessimistic view: The game can't run them. This is undermined but maybe not knocked down completely by some of the 'leaked' vids.

2. They have been trying to tweak and optimise features to the highest level before officially showing them. The 'perfectionitis' argument.

3. The optimistic view: Oleg has decided that he wants to wait until release to achieve maximum impact for the game. People have said this has been a strategy with previous releases.

Truth is none of us actually know. It's the uncertainty aspect that is getting to me. At this stage I expected that any niggling doubts would have been addressed, but I've been wavering between all of those 3 options. I'll be getting the game as soon as it's out no matter what, but it would be good to have more of an idea before then.

kendo65
03-12-2011, 11:20 AM

Actually, I remember Luthier posting that if people wanted they could go into the FMB and add more aircraft to these missions.

They really do seem to have been set so that lower-spec PCs can play them out of the box.

Hecke
03-12-2011, 11:37 AM
Oleg, you are online ...

Could you please write some lines about the status of Cliffs of Dover?
Is it gold? Will it go gold in time? Stuff like that.

Baron
03-12-2011, 11:41 AM
Actually, I remember Luthier posting that if people wanted they could go into the FMB and add more aircraft to these missions.

They really do seem to have been set so that lower-spec PCs can play them out of the box.

Im gonna be suprised if that isnt possible. If not, well then this has to be the first time ever a developer/launch is targeted towards the lowest common denominator ONLY.

And thats imo makes no sense what so ever.

Unless, as u say, they suffer from 'perfectionitis' (taken to the extreme) in witch case "making sense" is out of the equation.

kalimba
03-12-2011, 12:18 PM
Agreed. The waves make it appear you're much lower which in turn makes the cliffs look smaller. Scale's definitely off.
+1
I was wondering what was messing with my brain when looking at those superb sreen shots...And there is my answer...:confused:

IMHO, since we know now( because Luthier said so)that the game will be shipped with many hidden features such as complex clouds and weather system,we can assume that in the near future, this game will be playable at graphics levels unsurpassed at this moment. But since we also know( because Oleg said so) that they need to release the game now even if it is not "finished'" by Oleg's standards, we can also assume thet they need to "choose" the features that are essentials for release and still make this game look like 2011...For the casual gamer and other non-sim-addicts out there that we want to convert, FM features, gauge accuracy, realistic ballistics, AI programmation and every single detail that make COD a real SIM and took all the resources for 5 years, well, it doen't make this game more attractive when you look at movies or screnshots....
Birds of Prey was designed the way around and made a good first impression with impressive graphics,but ended up to be a disapointement for real simmers...
So I give Oleg and his team a big tap on the shoulder and have complete confidence in their "way" of managing the whole project....;)

Salute !

=WF=RAW
03-12-2011, 01:13 PM
i wonder - where are all ground personel and ground units crew? during all fridays screenshots looks like a moment before langoliers will come :)

Hecke
03-12-2011, 01:18 PM
There won't be ground personel in the initial release. Only people in vehicles.

Sven
03-12-2011, 01:21 PM
There won't be ground personel in the initial release. Only people in vehicles.

and flak I believe, just not in static abandoned vehicles/objects, which is obvious. Who needs ground personal anyway, I might run them over when I'm in a hurry to take off;)

Hecke
03-12-2011, 01:23 PM
Who needs ground personal anyway

Well, it adds to immersion.

=WF=RAW
03-12-2011, 01:24 PM
without ground ppl everything looks sad :(
even il-2 have some "frozen" ppl at the airfields and flaks...

The Kraken
03-12-2011, 01:35 PM
Im gonna be suprised if that isnt possible. If not, well then this has to be the first time ever a developer/launch is targeted towards the lowest common denominator ONLY.

And thats imo makes no sense what so ever.

Il2 didn't have a fixed limit for planes, neither will CoD. As the campaigns are static though it makes perfectly sense to limit the number of planes so the missions are playable for all systems that meet the requirements (which is in fact the very definition of "requirements" ;)). Also the number of planes will mostly be limited by the CPU, and unlike graphical features there's not much in terms of settings that can be done about that.

Anyway, with "Spitgirl and the Renegades", I'll probably use the stock campaigns primarily for learning the sim. And with my skills that should take long enough to have a nice selection of 3rd party campaigns available...

Sven
03-12-2011, 02:07 PM
Well, it adds to immersion.

Yes I agree, but they won't be able to do anything, unless there are future plans to make an aircraft maintenance sim.

Also, when the spits left for a hurry to intercept you may have 10 seconds to look around you once the engine is fired up, and off you go. They would do good for movies though. I'm for static people in that aspect.

Jg2001_Rasputin
03-12-2011, 02:16 PM
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/attachment.php?attachmentid=4857&d=1299853223

There´s a guy at the flak in the background

=WF=RAW
03-12-2011, 02:45 PM

ah. i see him! yahooo, somebody alive here! ;)
hope they will be more with release.

nearmiss
03-12-2011, 03:13 PM
So by asking to see some in game footage makes me a Troll? :rolleyes:
By pointing out that the promo movie might have taken advantage of the in game tool that allows you to remove FPS drop that Luthier told us about but everyone else bar a few seem to have forgotton about also makes me a Troll?
Wanting to hear some sound or see a bomb drop somewhere makes me a Troll as well?:rolleyes:

So who are the real Trolls here? :rolleyes:Maybe its people like you who tell us dont worry guys just go and spend your cash on a game that you havent seen running, Oleg wont let you down, all pure speculation 'pick me ups', from the same old diciples. Well as you can see two weeks away from release and the excuses are wearing a bit thin, even some of the most faithfull are begining to question why we aren't seeing any real footage or hearing any sounds.
In real terms weve seen feck all of how this product performs. We know the Battle of Britian theme as been dropped because the game engine cannot handle more than 21 bombers but obviously for the sheep heads this is not a worry, but for us Trolls its slightly concerning.:rolleyes:

The release of BOB COD is so close at hand it doesn't matter what anyone says about anything. Oleg is judy releasing what he wants to release, which answers the request for updates. Afterall, what does an update mean at this point anyway?

Oleg, works all day and on Friday evening before he goes home. Oleg says to himself, "Whoops, I almost forgot, I got to post some pictures for the update whiners".

Seriously, don' t sweat the updates the release is so near I doubt any news will change anyone's mind about buying COD at this point.

I've decided to even buy it off steam, if that's my only recourse.:oops:

Sorry, but my anticipation level has reached meltdown,woe is me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g3pttNPSTE&NR=1&feature=fvwp

Insuber
03-12-2011, 03:51 PM
For your info, Amazon France has just delayed the availability date from March 24th to March 31st. Still good news ... :)

Theshark888
03-12-2011, 07:42 PM
It is quite disturbing that release is only weeks away and this is what we get as an update. Eventually this will become a great sim when it gets updated and hardware catches up to its potential. Looks like it is going to run quite rough on todays PC's and the missions will be nowhere close to the needed "hundreds" of aircraft (much like IL2 was). In hindsight Oleg should have started out in a theater with less expectations for the amount of aircraft in the missions. You cannot fight the Battle of Britain with a dozen aircraft in the air!

Not knocking it since it will probably be the best flight sim around, when released, but some of you guys on this board are much too easily impressed and buy into the company line and Olegs laurels from IL2.

zauii
03-12-2011, 07:57 PM
As far as i've heard about 50-60 planes on each side which isn't bad considering how detailed the product is,
i'd rather have that than 200 ai planes with inferior ai, modelling etc. The hardware will catch up eventually indeed.

Polevka2010
03-12-2011, 08:00 PM
The sun is directly in a cloud above a black circle drawn on ground.
In total pair of kilometers. :)

Insuber
03-12-2011, 08:15 PM
The sun is directly in a cloud above a black circle drawn on ground.
In total pair of kilometers. :)

WOW! Exciting, we will call this discovery, ehmm, let me think ... Perspective! I think it's a nice name, isn't ? :D

Polevka2010
03-12-2011, 08:28 PM
The prospect does not concern to shadows...:)
Only to physical objects.

The sun very much far also can not be in a cloud.

The point of crossing is much farther.

Richie
03-12-2011, 10:39 PM
To Oleg or Luthier:

Is binaural sound going to be used in the final version of COD?

Hecke
03-12-2011, 10:44 PM
If I understand correctly, binaural sound is for headphones.

But what's up with us 5.1 surround system guys. Does it gain any sound improvment or is it even a disadvantage? Does surround work at all?

zapatista
03-12-2011, 11:47 PM

well spotted , hadnt noticed that detail :)

louisv
03-13-2011, 12:02 AM
WOW! Exciting, we will call this discovery, ehmm, let me think ... Perspective! I think it's a nice name, isn't ? :D

No, no, the sun is so far away that the shadows should be parallel...

Here the shadows converge on a point on the ground, at the apex.

Think about it, a sun dial couldn't work :cool:

edit: the shadows are parallel, but we see them in perspective...

Ploughman
03-13-2011, 12:05 AM
No they should not.

louisv
03-13-2011, 12:14 AM
No they should not.

You're right...the shadows are parallel, but we see them in perspective...

Ploughman
03-13-2011, 12:21 AM
You're right...the shadows are parallel, but we see them in perspective...

Right, the Sun is a single source that is 93 million miles away (well sort of, the disc or perceptible surface of the sun is not a point but let's not complicate things) but we, as the observer, see things in perspective.

Polevka2010
03-13-2011, 12:24 AM
These three videoes looked?
http://www.youtube.com/user/OlegMaddox#p/u/10/G836qqOhhZ8
http://www.youtube.com/user/OlegMaddox#p/u/20/y4Fx3pHQFHk
http://www.youtube.com/user/OlegMaddox#p/u/9/KTx5v8jeFdw
:)

Polevka2010
03-13-2011, 12:27 AM
Right, the Sun is a single source that is 93 million miles away (well sort of, the disc or perceptible surface of the sun is not a point but let's not complicate things) but we, as the observer, see things in perspective.

Depending on height the prospect varies.
In game the sun is too close.

That influences sensation of height of flight

Polevka2010
03-13-2011, 12:53 AM
Paint of a cap of the screw?
Rough?

Polevka2010
03-13-2011, 01:01 AM
Here it is good.

major_setback
03-13-2011, 07:38 AM
As far as i've heard about 50-60 planes on each side which isn't bad considering how detailed the product is,
i'd rather have that than 200 ai planes with inferior ai, modelling etc. The game will catch up eventually indeed.

True. I couldn't even run the original IL2 game on my old Windows 95 computer when I first bought it.

proton45
03-13-2011, 07:40 AM
Wanting to hear some sound or see a bomb drop somewhere makes me a Troll as well?

So who are the real Trolls here? Maybe its people like you who tell us dont worry guys just go and spend your cash on a game that you havent seen running, Oleg wont let you down, all pure speculation 'pick me ups', from the same old diciples. Well as you can see two weeks away from release and the excuses are wearing a bit thin, even some of the most faithfull are begining to question why we aren't seeing any real footage or hearing any sounds.
In real terms weve seen feck all of how this product performs. We know the Battle of Britian theme as been dropped because the game engine cannot handle more than 21 bombers but obviously for the sheep heads this is not a worry, but for us Trolls its slightly concerning.

Well Tree, your response is as inaccurate and generally inflammatory as I would expect from any troll...you even included the Trolls "go to" word, "disciples"...thanks

Tree, I don't even know why you are arguing about it...you have admitted that you find making inflammatory posts to be "fun". I remember that you didn't see anything wrong with it...at the time, you felt justified because no body had banned you. We had this whole conversation last summer...maybe you forgot. ;)

Anyway...respond how you like, thats the last from me on this issue.

Former_Older
03-13-2011, 10:47 AM
nice attempt at foreshadowing....

I stopped by the forums to see the latest video. It looks quite good; in my opinion showing this type of thing is a very good indication that the little things, the necessary details, are being taken care of

But I felt I had to comment on your comment as it were.

In common English usage, your comment may not be what you intended to mean. I mention because not everyone speaks English as a primary language, and English confuses even native speakers at times. Right now, for example, in the USA, I have noticed a disturbing trend for the word "anymore" being used to replace the word "now".

But, "nice attempt" means about the same thing as "nice try" in many English speaking lands, and it is usually a slightly derisive, or in other words, mocking term that means "You failed and it wasn't a very good attempt really, but at least I recognized that you are trying".

"Foreshadowing" is a dramatic event in which a hint of things to come is mentioned or shown.

So your comment may most commonly be read as:

"Your attempt at showing us what is coming wasn't good but at least you made some small effort".

I'm not sure you want to say that

nearmiss
03-13-2011, 11:38 AM
I'd like to read something about whether artillery will have realistic firing ranges/distances and be able to fire over terrain obstacles.

Baron
03-13-2011, 12:52 PM
Nice
A small comment. I understand there are no humans because these are static objects. I understand also that in AI controlled dynamic vehicles there will be humans.
Now my question is about fixed artillery, AAA guns, etc.. in dynamic mode will they be completed with humans or we will see as in the past, guns rotating and moving up and down, and firing like if they were radio controlled by afar.
I hope also that when a pilot does parachute down we will not have like in the past all the enemy artillery whatever the caliber at reach around firing like hell at this lonely parachute, and continue firing even if it lands behind a hill or mound were it cannot be hit. I hope AI will be a little more sophisticated.

In IL2 u can have gunners manning AAA etc. Go to confini, look up 3D gunners and type 1 after it, voila.

Its a resource hog though.

Insuber
03-13-2011, 01:07 PM
edit: the shadows are parallel, but we see them in perspective...

Bravo, that's what I meant ... shadows are in perspective, as all objects are.

Cheers,
Insuber

Theshark888
03-13-2011, 06:43 PM
i'd rather have that than 200 ai planes with inferior ai, modelling etc. The game will catch up eventually indeed.

I know, I've "heard" this too. Is there any ingame screen shot or video with this amount of aircraft? I have a feeling that we will be playing 12 against 12, or something close to that:(

Royraiden
03-13-2011, 07:12 PM
I know, I've "heard" this too. Is there any ingame screen shot or video with this amount of aircraft? I have a feeling that we will be playing 12 against 12, or something close to that:(
There are at least two pics showing 20+ Blenheims in the sky maybe 30.Not a huge amount but Im ok with that.

Hecke
03-13-2011, 08:39 PM
there's 128 player online feature. I don't think that is meant as a joke :grin:

Royraiden
03-13-2011, 08:50 PM
there's 128 player online feature. I don't think that is meant as a joke :grin:
If it works online it should work offline, we will see how that goes.

Crossfade
03-13-2011, 09:01 PM
Wonderfull movie !

Goodness me you nice man if you think thats what the next ms sim will look like you better start saving for you cray super computer it's fmv you intelligent person.

Hecke
03-13-2011, 09:37 PM
OMFG you noob... you idiot.

Calm down, no need to insult other people.

Richie
03-13-2011, 09:52 PM
I think that Microsoft movie is actually real life footage.

Crossfade
03-13-2011, 09:52 PM
Sorry I am just so fed up with the people who talk xxxx its funny because any time i have played il-2 i was too busy trying to shoot someone down or trying not to to worry about minor flaws reading these forums can be a real pain with people crying all the time do they even fly i wonder if they do because i'm not sure where they get the time for looking at every little thing that is not perfect:evil:

major_setback
03-13-2011, 10:18 PM
Bravo, that's what I meant ... shadows are in perspective, as all objects are.

Cheers,
Insuber

It is more than just that, there is a lens effect too. The screenshot is taken using a very wide angle effect. It is distorting the image.

Sorry, couldn't find a better picture:

Wide angle lens:

http://www.fototime.com/65CB82517402CA6/orig.jpg

Blackdog_kt
03-14-2011, 01:45 AM

I usually post a lot of stuff in a single post, other people like to post a little bit in a lot of individual posts...the final amount of text is more or less the same :grin:

So are Stephen King novels, but that doesn't mean they're not fun to read. LOL I do wonder if Blackdog gets paid by the inch, though.

Lol, this has dirty connotations that i'm not going to delve into :-P

It is quite disturbing that release is only weeks away and this is what we get as an update. Eventually this will become a great sim when it gets updated and hardware catches up to its potential. Looks like it is going to run quite rough on todays PC's and the missions will be nowhere close to the needed "hundreds" of aircraft (much like IL2 was). In hindsight Oleg should have started out in a theater with less expectations for the amount of aircraft in the missions. You cannot fight the Battle of Britain with a dozen aircraft in the air!

Not knocking it since it will probably be the best flight sim around, when released, but some of you guys on this board are much too easily impressed and buy into the company line and Olegs laurels from IL2.

To be honest, it's not about buying the company line but what kind of features each one of us prefers. You are right however when you say that they might be getting complaints for choosing a theater/battle which historically had a lot of "traffic".

On the other hand, imagine if we got a 1941-1943 channel front simulator as the first release and they progressed backwards into battle of Britain from that. Having a total of 60 aircraft visible at the same time would be very realistic for the kind of cross-channel skirmishes (plus i'd have a Fw190 to play with a little bit earlier :-P). The scale would be just fine, but i give it less than a month before people would complain that the scope is limited and "since we can get 60 aircraft, why not 100? they should have done the BoB first" :-P

My theory is that this is not about graphics, but CPU. The new FM/DM with many individual subsystems is probably the main resource hog here. When flying in single player everything is done by our own CPU and the complexity of the FM/DM limits the total amount of aircraft we can display.

I mean, why would the single player limit be 60 aircraft for a minimum spec PC, when the multiplayer limit is double that amount? The answer is easy, in multiplier your CPU only has to deal with your own aircraft, the others are dealt with by the CPUs of those flying them and the server just sends you positional/vector data on where your PC needs to draw them. In singleplayer however, your PC needs to deal with the FM/DM of your aircraft as well as the AI/FM/DM of the AI aircraft ;)
This all points to the amount of aircraft being very CPU-dependent due to the new FM/DM.

My personal opinion is that this title is the foundation and building block for something that will take at least a couple of years to fully mature, simply because we don't have the hardware to run something so ambitious yet.

It's all a compromise: we can't have aircraft done at this level of FM/DM and systems modeling AND have 100s of them visible at the same time without using simplified FM/DM AND have this kind of visual/graphics quality and effects. Something will have to be turned down a notch and in this case, it seems to be the scale of what the sim displays.

However, the way they did it makes sense because the focused on completing the features that take the most work.

When we get better hardware in the future, it will be easy as pie to go into the mission builder, open the properties for each aircraft group and change the amount of units from 10 to 100 for each bomber formation and save it...rinse and repeat and voila, we can refly the scripted campaign with accurate numbers of aircraft in the air. Not to mention that even though there's not a stock dynamic campaign provided, they said that through a combination of output logs, scripting tools and possibly the SDK to be released later on, we will be able to have community made dynamic campaign generators (like DCG for IL2). And once we have that, we will be able to set the highest amount of unit density that our PCs can handle, just like we can in DCG today.

On the other hand, if there's not built in support for things like advanced FM/DM, engine management and so on, it's much harder to add it at a later stage when the sim will have grown from 12 to 50 flyable aircraft and it's definitely not something that can be done completely by the community.

I'm glad they focused on the features that have to do with how aircraft operate and fly, because that's not only the most important work for creating a sim that has an ambition to span multiple theaters and aircraft types in the future, but also the hardest part to get out of the way. Increasing the numbers of aircraft in missions is just like increasing graphics settings, after a year or two and 4-5 patches all we'll need to do is click on a slider. We can't code the new complex engine management on our own though, so i'm glad they did it for us ;)

I agree, except on the last sentence. It's the hardware that has to catch up ;)

zauii
03-14-2011, 02:02 AM
I agree, except on the last sentence. It's the hardware that has to catch up ;)

My bad,
Yep obviously I meant the hardware will catch up indeed :cool:

major_setback
03-14-2011, 09:54 AM
What are the cars shown in the update? I think one might be a Morgan, but I can't find it on Google.

sallee
03-14-2011, 11:26 AM
What are the cars shown in the update? I think one might be a Morgan, but I can't find it on Google.

I think it's an MG (TC?) and an Austin Seven, but wait to be proved wrong!

peterwoods@supanet.com
03-14-2011, 03:04 PM
Sports car is an MG TA, (wipers mounted high whereas TB had them mounted low). The TC was not made until 1945, after war's end. Saloon almost certainly an Austin 7. I believe I'm correct in saying that all pre-war Morgans were 3 wheelers, (single wheel at the rear). but I'd need to check that.
Pete

Edit: Checked and stand corrected. Morgan's first four-wheeler was the 4–4, for four-cylinder engine and four wheels. The first production 4-wheeled Morgan was released to the public in 1936 and is known as the Morgan 4–4 Series 1. Three-wheeler production continued alongside the 4–4 until 1952. You learn something everyday if you have an open mind.

sallee
03-14-2011, 03:15 PM
Sports car is an MG TA, (wipers mounted high whereas TB had them mounted low). The TC was not made until 1945, after war's end. Saloon almost certainly an Austin 7. I believe I'm correct in saying that all pre-war Morgans were 3 wheelers, (single wheel at the rear). but I'd need to check that.
Pete

Edit: Checked and stand corrected. Morgan's first four-wheeler was the 4–4, for four-cylinder engine and four wheels. The first production 4-wheeled Morgan was released to the public in 1936 and is known as the Morgan 4–4 Series 1. Three-wheeler production continued alongside the 4–4 until 1952. You learn something everyday if you have an open mind.

Do I get 75%?

Thanks for the detail. A pipe-smoker should have this info at his fingertips. As an ex-pipe smoker, the info has left mine.

peterwoods@supanet.com
03-14-2011, 03:28 PM
In checking out the facts on the Morgan I came across this and just couldn't resist it. If you see one of these in CofD you'll know its a fake.

http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu181/2_Puff_Pete/Miscellaneous/800px-MorganThreewheeler2011-rear.jpg

But I want one just like it.

peterwoods@supanet.com
03-14-2011, 03:32 PM
I think 75% quite reasonable.
Cheers
Pete

ElAurens
03-14-2011, 03:48 PM
Let me start by saying that I am the chief mechanic for a small antique auto museum in the US. I've worked on a fair few MG T series cars.

Yup, it's nit picking time...

:grin:

The fenders (wings in Brit speak) on the TA are far too wide, as are the wheels and tyres. The TA through TC series MGs had very narrow 19" diameter wheels and tyres. Also that colour is more than a bit too bright for a 1930s/40s era MG. The Austin Seven is spot on however. (Worked on one of those as well, not many on our side of the pond though).

Now what I'd like to see is a Triumph Gloria Southern Cross, as I'm a Triumph man myself (TR3).

:cool:

Sturm_Williger
03-14-2011, 04:54 PM
I always thought a "fender" was a mudguard. Never heard it called a "wing" - in UK or SA, but maybe I just don't get out enough ;)

Trumper
03-14-2011, 05:21 PM
I always thought a "fender" was a mudguard. Never heard it called a "wing" - in UK or SA, but maybe I just don't get out enough ;)
By fender which i don't hear in the UK very often if at all i would guess you mean the bumper.
We have bonnet,wings,doors,boot,tailgate,bumper,headlights , tail lights,indicators,brake lights.
How we can make something so simple so complicated :)

Zorin
03-14-2011, 05:22 PM
Very true. Must have been a dodgy set of blueprints they worked from. This one is a lot better, IMO.

http://www.autosports-gallery.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image//0/0/00000010-4.jpg

To be found here: http://www.autosports-gallery.co.uk/index.php/blue-prints/mg-tc-1943.html

Friendly_flyer
03-14-2011, 07:53 PM
22 pages of mostly whining, and nobody mentioned that the Spitfire had a B/W belly? It has me tingeling all over! Does it come as a form of markings or as a skin? I'm really ecited about the possibilities!

ElAurens
03-14-2011, 08:08 PM
By fender which i don't hear in the UK very often if at all i would guess you mean the bumper.
We have bonnet,wings,doors,boot,tailgate,bumper,headlights , tail lights,indicators,brake lights.
How we can make something so simple so complicated :)

I US auto speak, a fender is that portion of the bodywork that covers the wheel. I.E. "wing" or "mudguard".

Being a British car owner for almost 40 years I am quite familiar with the Queen's English versions of the bits of the automobile.

ElAurens
03-14-2011, 08:10 PM
Very true. Must have been a dodgy set of blueprints they worked from. This one is a lot better, IMO.

http://www.autosports-gallery.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image//0/0/00000010-4.jpg

To be found here: http://www.autosports-gallery.co.uk/index.php/blue-prints/mg-tc-1943.html

Perfect.

;)

ATAG_Dutch
03-14-2011, 08:17 PM

I seem to recall that american folk refer to a motorcycle mudguard as a 'fender' so the mudguard confusion is understandable, however with cars the american 'fender' is referred to as a 'wing' in the uk, unless you're referring to the famous guitar manufacturer of which I own two.

Also what on earth has this got to do with our much anticipated flight sim?!:rolleyes::)
Surely we're not really complaining about the width of mudguards/fenders/wings on a virtual mg in a flight sim? Or are we?

Confused of Milton Keynes.

peterwoods@supanet.com
03-14-2011, 08:38 PM
Sorry Zorin but I think your source (autosports-gallery.co) is more likely to be the dodgy one. The TC was not launched until 1945. So a blueprint showing a 1943 MG TC is bogus. Can't see a date on the "blueprint" so it may be that someone just guessed 1943. It is a fact that there was no motor car production for the civilian market during the war.
I have to agree with ElAurens that the wings are too wide and the green is much too bright, an MG TA in green would almost certainly have been British Racing Green (BRG). However I think the wheels are just about correct. Compare with this:
http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu181/2_Puff_Pete/Miscellaneous/MGTA1936.jpg

Try this site for dates, production details etc for TA - TF: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MG_TB#TB

As a matter of interest what is the US term for what we in the UK call a bumber?
Regards
Pete

Zorin
03-14-2011, 09:03 PM
Still, even if the caption of the file is wrong, the blueprint itself is certainly more in line with the actual vehicle than what we see in the screenshots. Besides, the exterior of a TC is pretty much identical to a TA from what I can tell by checking reference photographs, so a valid source for a pre-war TA.

peterwoods@supanet.com
03-14-2011, 09:14 PM
Zorin, from modeling viewpoint agree 100%.
Pete

major_setback
03-14-2011, 09:32 PM
I have to agree with ElAurens that the wings are too wide and the green is much too bright, an MG TA in green would almost certainly have been British Racing Green (BRG)....

Maybe they are aiming at this colour?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b7/MGTA.jpg

peterwoods@supanet.com
03-14-2011, 09:42 PM
[QUOTE=major_setback;234395]Maybe they are aiming at this colour?

Could well be for that is certainly not BRG. Beautiful example but question whether a TA ever left the production line in that shade of green. Wish I had a 1936 brochure.

Pete

1.JaVA_Sharp
03-14-2011, 09:44 PM
I stopped by the forums to see the latest video. It looks quite good; in my opinion showing this type of thing is a very good indication that the little things, the necessary details, are being taken care of

But I felt I had to comment on your comment as it were.

In common English usage, your comment may not be what you intended to mean. I mention because not everyone speaks English as a primary language, and English confuses even native speakers at times. Right now, for example, in the USA, I have noticed a disturbing trend for the word "anymore" being used to replace the word "now".

But, "nice attempt" means about the same thing as "nice try" in many English speaking lands, and it is usually a slightly derisive, or in other words, mocking term that means "You failed and it wasn't a very good attempt really, but at least I recognized that you are trying".

"Foreshadowing" is a dramatic event in which a hint of things to come is mentioned or shown.

So your comment may most commonly be read as:

"Your attempt at showing us what is coming wasn't good but at least you made some small effort".

I'm not sure you want to say that

Let me explain in a little more detail then.

In the age the game/sim (your choice) depicts, flying was considered an adventure and, most of the people that joined the RAF/Luftwaffe at the time wanted to tale part in said adventure. The scene depicted in this video (to me) shows that love of of flying that joy of being a part of said adventure. But then there's the setting sun, that casts its shadow, and that's the shadow of war.

and you're right, I love the details too, but I also look at the bigger picture. Oleg wants to show what's coming without revealing all of it. So I figure he attempts to show what's coming without revealing all, and in my opinion that's an attempt.

any more questions?

[URU]AkeR
03-14-2011, 10:25 PM
Hi, could you plaese direct me to the IL2 COD forum?
I was trying to get there but i ended up in this Grand Prix Legends forum somehow.

Thank you :grin:

PS: Thank you Oleg for the beautiful video, looking forward to be the first to get COD in Uruguay!!!

dali
03-14-2011, 11:29 PM
speaking of "lasers" - you can see on this footage (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se6rq8vean8&feature=related) how the impression of "laser beams" depends on the lightng conditions...

I was shooting with almost the same guns from jet aircraft and I know how they shoudl look like...

wildone_106
03-15-2011, 12:56 AM
Will we see the rounds bouncing off the ground like that does anyone know?

speaking of "lasers" - you can see on this footage (http://wwed) how the impression of "laser beams" depends on the lightng conditions...

I was shooting with almost the same guns from jet aircraft and I know how they shoudl look like...

engarde
03-15-2011, 05:09 AM
at 0:47 in that video, Mrs Smith is sitting at the table quietly enjoying a nice cup of tea and strudel whilst 50 cal rounds punch through her roof, demolish her kitchen, pulverise the cat and blow a hole through pretty much everything she owns.

i pictured straight away the teacup being blown to bits whilst she holds it.

Damixu
03-15-2011, 07:57 AM
at 0:47 in that video, Mrs Smith is sitting at the table quietly enjoying a nice cup of tea and strudel whilst 50 cal rounds punch through her roof, demolish her kitchen, pulverise the cat and blow a hole through pretty much everything she owns.

i pictured straight away the teacup being blown to bits whilst she holds it.

You mean Frau Schmidt? ;)

scissorss
03-15-2011, 08:13 AM
As a matter of interest what is the US term for what we in the UK call a bumber?
Regards
Pete

If a "bumber" in the U.K. is generally the front and rear protective pieces, here in the U.S. we call 'em "bumpers". :)

major_setback
03-15-2011, 10:12 AM
speaking of "lasers" - you can see on this footage (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se6rq8vean8&feature=related) how the impression of "laser beams" depends on the lightng conditions...

Pause that video at any point and you will see that the tracers are not perfectly even like the ones we have seen in the updates. They are quite uneven squiggles.

major_setback
03-15-2011, 10:15 AM
If a "bumber" in the U.K. is generally the front and rear protective pieces, here in the U.S. we call 'em "bumpers". :)

No, in the UK it is definitely called a bumper.

kalimba
03-15-2011, 12:04 PM
Pause that video at any point and you will see that the tracers are not perfectly even like the ones we have seen in the updates. They are quite uneven squiggles.

Hi Major,

The "squiggle" effect is a camera issue while shooting the guns...In real life , the tracers are straight as a pen....Many real soldiers have come forward regarding the tracers...You can make a search on this forum and the conclusions were :

In COD:

Very good representation of real life tracers but:

1-They are indeed too much "even" as the right and left guns were mostly asymertric as seen in WW2 guncams

2- They are too "thick" or " fat" and not enough "string-like" for the daytime effect....For night-time, they would be ok as they are now...

3- Squiggling does not appear in real life shooting...It comes from the camera shaking wen the guns fire.

Salute !

BG-09
03-15-2011, 12:12 PM

I am very sure about this:

Look at the video at: from 2:08 sec to 2:09 sec.

The horse falls down pierced by the big caliber bullets.

major_setback
03-15-2011, 01:05 PM
Hi Major,

The "squiggle" effect is a camera issue while shooting the guns...In real life , the tracers are straight as a pen....Many real soldiers have come forward regarding the tracers...You can make a search on this forum and the conclusions were :

In COD:

Very good representation of real life tracers but:

1-They are indeed too much "even" as the right and left guns were mostly asymertric as seen in WW2 guncams

2- They are too "thick" or " fat" and not enough "string-like" for the daytime effect....For night-time, they would be ok as they are now...

3- Squiggling does not appear in real life shooting...It comes from the camera shaking wen the guns fire.

Salute !

Yes, but a squiggle is what you would see in real life, as the plane is jolting around and so are you (as the pilot).

kalimba
03-15-2011, 02:04 PM
Yes, but a squiggle is what you would see in real life, as the plane is jolting around and so are you (as the pilot).

That is what I also tought...Until real pilots wrote on this forum that they did not experienced that effect while firiing guns from their planes... ...And Oleg also stated thet after many reaserch and interviews, WW2 pilots did not see the squiggles...But I will agree with you that maybe a very tiny squiggle f/x could also be correct for WW2 planes since the pilot did not have that much of a "suspension" underneath his seat...SO can we really extrapolate that today's planes weapons recoil have less effect on pilots ? Maybe...
But this is all the info we have here....for now..;)

Salute !

recoilfx
03-15-2011, 02:32 PM
Squiggles happen because the gun cam's recorded fps is probably ~24fps. That means shutter time of 41ms. Your eyes have much better reaction time depending on light settings. I can't cite, but I recall that our eyes can detect up to ~200fps. That's right around 5ms.

Greater shutter time = longer squiggles.

Blackdog_kt
03-15-2011, 02:36 PM

Not really, the human tissue has a lot of damping properties and our eyes auto-adjust by instinct.

You wouldn't believe the shake that was visible when viewing another guy firing a 20mm flak gun, but when i took the seat to fire it felt completely stable. I could feel the movement of the gun but tracers were still straight as an arrow.

peterwoods@supanet.com
03-15-2011, 05:32 PM
Apologies to all - mis-spelling, intended to write "bumper".:oops:

Nice to know its the same in the US.

Pete

ATAG_Dutch
03-15-2011, 06:26 PM
Squiggles happen because the gun cam's recorded fps is probably ~24fps. That means shutter time of 41ms. Your eyes have much better reaction time depending on light settings. I can't cite, but I recall that our eyes can detect up to ~200fps. That's right around 5ms.

Greater shutter time = longer squiggles.

Added to which is the fact that you can neither take screenshots nor make films using an eyeball.

Oh God, it's tracers again.

And I responded.....................:(

Crunchieone
03-15-2011, 06:42 PM
Lovin the grass,man :)

kalimba
03-15-2011, 07:19 PM
Added to which is the fact that you can neither take screenshots nor make films using an eyeball.

Oh God, it's tracers again.

And I responded.....................:(

Haha! Me too ! And I was the one who ended the subject in the other thread with "final" conclusions!:rolleyes:
You know what ? Well, until something very very exciting and new happens here, we are subject to this kind of " beatin'thedeadHorsekindadiscussion"....;)

Salute !

Insuber
03-15-2011, 09:56 PM
From what I hear, a great improvement on Il2 will be the music. The silly marches of Sturmovik are gone!