PDA

View Full Version : Micromanaged to death, any solutions?

awoodby
03-08-2011, 02:52 PM
LOVE LOVE the game. But I'm about to quit playing anyway. See, it starts out a complete blast, and very realistic.

THEN I'm tasked with picking up my troops HATS. I'm not a butler here, can't a soldier automatically pick up his HELMET?

Then you play a bit more and 1/3 of your troops are just standing there 5' away from a gun, unarmed. Or completely out of ammo and standing on a corpse with ammo.

Really? Could we give troops just a SMIDGE of ai, in order to try and keep some ammo and a weapon?

There's just too dang much going on to spend half your time telling gomer to pick up some ammo for his empty gun. While you're busy playing supply sargent, the enemy is flanking you on the other side of the map and you have zero idea.

How about supply trucks have a half dozen troops that run around resupplying?

I read somewhere you can click "X" to have a squad auto share ammo, but this does nothing.

Just too much micromanagement, I'm supposed to be commanding a battle here, not fetching ammo and helmets for privates?

Fotheringill
03-08-2011, 03:32 PM
"Just too much micromanagement, I'm supposed to be commanding a battle here, not fetching ammo and helmets for privates?"

I tried the demo. It looked interesting but obviously had a steep learning curve. I purchased the game. The learning curve has not been lowered. I agree with what you stated above, but I believe that micromanagement is the essence of this game. He who clicks fastest and best will win. I will keep on trying, but at some point I will decide whether or not to continue banging my head against the virtual wall.

Lochar
03-08-2011, 06:11 PM
I read somewhere you can click "X" to have a squad auto share ammo, but this does nothing.

Just too much micromanagement, I'm supposed to be commanding a battle here, not fetching ammo and helmets for privates?

From what I see, when your squad is near each other they DO share ammo, if you look at the ammo counter icons this is a pooled counter. If you have a rifleman and his personal inventory is empty of ammo and you add him to a squad that has alot of rifle ammo, he will draw from that and keep firing. This only applies if they are close to each other, if too far apart then can only use what has in his own inventory.

I have noticed a few things when resupplying.

1. If you are controlling the squad leader and DONT have your squad under cover, the whole squad follows and if close enough will share the ammo wet her they need it or not. IE you run to supply truck and right click on 1000 smg ammo if will split it between the squad.

2. When controlling squad leader and your squad was assigned cover, ONLY the squad leader will run to loot/supply point and then can only take what his personal inventory space allows if he moves too far away from his squad but if in range it will still share.

3. If a soldier is knocked down and his gun goes flying, when he recovers he will try to recover it, but if you issue a move command it will override his AI and move him but now he won't grab any gun and have to get 1 for him.

I agree tho a lil basic AI would do wonders, even a command like theatre of war has where you can click on/off the ability to auto arm if standing next to body with weapons and ammo.

TommyB
03-11-2011, 12:33 AM
Totally agree with you awoodby, once the battle truly gets under way you've ran out of ammo and even taking Lochar's tips into account still doesn't help much, why? Well, because the supply truck can't supply more then an hand full of troops with rifle rounds! What's that all about? Madness, madness I tell thy!

So far I've found myself spending more time messing around with the simple things like 'loot body', 'pick that gun up that your right foot is on' then actually playing the game! And don't get me started on how the hell do you move 20/30/50 rounds of ammo at a time, it seems all or 1 at a time!

TommyB.

djsatane
03-12-2011, 02:14 PM
you obviously talking about skirmishes, and for those its good to have 4 or more players playing coop, then u can really concentrate on smaller units. Hopefully some missions get converted/modded that are more story oriented and not skirmish/enemy respawn scripts which tend to overload players. DCG definitely is something I am looking forward to

kane1
03-12-2011, 04:28 PM
That has been a big issue for a lot of gamers and I would think the reason for some of them quitting. One cool thing about the Dev's of this game is that they listen to the people who play these games. I know sooner or later they'll come up with something to address this problem, if they can do it without taking away from the realism of the game. What I do is make it so that's not much of an issue. It still happens but I just call in more units. I know that a lot of gamers want to play the game "in-tack" and wouldn't think of changing something in the game. Well that's fine, but for me having fun is the most important thing about playing vid games and if your not having fun then what's the point.

http://i931.photobucket.com/albums/ad158/foto707/MoWASFlamer.jpg

RampaXi
03-12-2011, 04:55 PM
Pretty much multitasking if you ask me, i keep it simple if im in tigth situation screw the helmet and screw the weapons ill just ask for a new squad and order the non weaponless guys into MG fire, or they can be also used to repair damaged vehicles and man em...

It takes some time to learn for watching after your units like if they need ammo or not for example... Altho it would make things bit easier if you could choose an option to "automate" some of the basics such as those helmets and weapons maybe even loot

Hypertonic
03-13-2011, 11:16 PM
That has been a big issue for a lot of gamers and I would think the reason for some of them quitting. One cool thing about the Dev's of this game is that they listen to the people who play these games. I know sooner or later they'll come up with something to address this problem, if they can do it without taking away from the realism of the game.[/IMG]

I posted this issue for the original Men of War a few years ago and all that happened was I got flamed by the gatekeepers.

It should be noted that troops pick up weapons in free movement mode, though they don't choose based on what ammo type they have or pick up ammo.

Crni vuk
03-14-2011, 12:27 AM
the problem with ammo and helmets can be very easily solved. Simply ignore it. I mean infantry is dieing so fast in the game. You have to call another troup eventually anyway.

Except in those missions where you only have a handfull of men. Then yes. Very anoying.

*Though there has been a discussion about it. And my idea is that soldiers in this game should simply NOT loose their helmets in a firefight. As it does not add anything to the gameplay and looks very silly because at some point you will have eventually more soldiers without a helmet.

KnightFandragon
03-14-2011, 02:10 AM
What I do to deal with mass micromanagement in Singleplayer missions is I gather up my single squad of men, maybe 4-6 troops and a tank or 2, I gear them out and play the mission and focus just on them, then let the rest of the AI do what it will do with the remaining forces. I Direct control and babysit just my one squad. I gather ammo on them and all in all win the mission with a very small amount of men. I realized the nightmare of having to control the whole army when I first started playing this game and worked out a way to deal with the microing and still win. So far, so good.

As for MP Microing thats where it pays to play with smaller money pools, you wont have as much and therefore it is easier to deal with them. The Helmets, dont worry to much about them, I gave up on Helmets awhile ago, they only stop 1 round and seem to stay on thier heads for about 10 seconds.....I just said forget it. Ammo isnt to much of a deal b/c the troops either will die or you just plain wont fire all of it before the game ends, most likely they will die.....