PDA

View Full Version : Moddable?

Peterbilt389
09-21-2007, 03:06 AM
Do you think that RNR is going to be like 18 WOS series where you can mod and add trucks?

Pete379x
09-22-2007, 02:29 AM
Read the FAQ Here: http://www.rignroll.com/?type=faq&page=5

Q: Will it be possible to create and import one's own models of auto trucks and trailers into the game, and also to edit the map?
A: No, these features will not be implemented in the final version of the game.

brutus
09-28-2007, 08:16 AM
Do you think that RNR is going to be like 18 WOS series where you can mod and add trucks?i hope that rig n roll is moddable like 18 wos and i also hope it is more realistic than what 18 wos is.such as proper sounds, real b-double with 2 turntables so they turn in 2 places like convoy, and i hope you can play online or as a lan. :D

JOleg
09-28-2007, 02:59 PM

Q: Will it be possible to create and import one's own models of auto trucks and trailers into the game, and also to edit the map?

This does not mean anything. What they are saying is that they will not include the tools to mod the game - many game companies don't - but that doesn't mean all those games cannot be modded. There's lots of talanted folks out there to come to the rescue to help decipher file formats. So they do this just for the sake of hobby even not being interested in the games they do utils for. It all comes down to how obfuscated the file formats will be. If they (SoftLab) don't have a purpose to obfuscate the format so that nobody could decipher it, then rest assured it will not be a problem for experienced guys to make editors for them.

So just wait and see and ignore the FAQ.

Pete379x
09-30-2007, 01:20 AM

This does not mean anything. What they are saying is that they will not include the tools to mod the game - many game companies don't - but that doesn't mean all those games cannot be modded. There's lots of talanted folks out there to come to the rescue to help decipher file formats. So they do this just for the sake of hobby even not being interested in the games they do utils for. It all comes down to how obfuscated the file formats will be. If they (SoftLab) don't have a purpose to obfuscate the format so that nobody could decipher it, then rest assured it will not be a problem for experienced guys to make editors for them.

So just wait and see and ignore the FAQ.

Well you might be right you never know it could be modded but will see..

Ubaku
09-30-2007, 01:54 AM
Look at IL-2 sturmovik series. You cannot mod the game but it is an amazing game anyway. They do have mission editor in IL-2, maybe Rig'n'Roll will have the same?

64Pacific
10-04-2007, 10:42 PM
I have a lot of models of trucks (it's a hobby of mine), and I would love to put those into the game. I have a few older trucks and I am working on some unique ones (1978 Kenworth W925, 1978 Kenworth 850, 1970's Pacific P12W3 Ultra, my '64 Pacific is planned). I personally think that, and this is my opinion, that having a game like this and not allowing it to be modified by the user with the addition of maps, vehicles and scenarios/missions will limit its sales and the life of the game. I am a programmer, and I understand why you would want to stay away from this - it's difficult - talk about a can of worms. Maybe a moderator or somebody with some "inside" knowledge can let us in on a reason for the developer(s) staying away from a moddable product?

By no means am I complaining, nor am I trying to offend anybody - my apologies if this post has come out seeming that way. I just am thinking that we could start a huge community of modelers, and developers that could greatly benefit both the users and the developer, and allow an already amazing looking game to prosper!

JOleg
10-05-2007, 09:55 AM
That is a very good point made there - inability to mod the game will limit its sales and life. And the funny thing is, no matter how good or average it is when/if it gets released, 5 years spent on developing it will not pay off by the money gained from the sales. I'm both a programmer and an amateur 3D modeler myself too, so that's something that worries me as well.

64Pacific
10-09-2007, 03:41 AM
I got to thinking while eating dinner tonight. There is a huge difference between 'modable' and 'customizable' or 'expandable'. Modable to me means, being able to get into the guts of the game, and start fiddling. While customizable and expandable mean that a user can add things like vehicles and such, but they are unable to modify the items that have shipped with the game. Maybe this has come up in here before - I have read it all, but can't remember it all - maybe we have the ability to do this?

Evgeny
10-09-2007, 05:35 AM
Well, you will have an opportunity to upgrade the truck by replacing or adding these or those units, as well as an opportunity to restyle the truck interior and appearance.

GargantulaKon
10-22-2007, 07:36 AM
And the funny thing is, no matter how good or average it is when/if it gets released, 5 years spent on developing it will not pay off by the money gained from the sales.

That is a good point. Most people do not care about trucking simulations. I do not think it will sell that well at all to make up for the long time in development. I hope it sells well since the team deserves it. Hard Truck 2 did well. From reading the comments about the game's trailers on GameTrailers.com, most people do not care about this game at all when compared to popular games like Unreal Tournament 3. What a shame.

Note: I also do 3D modeling and would love to mod any game I like.