PDA

View Full Version : mortar ammo supply

gamecat
03-01-2011, 08:53 PM
Hi I'm new to mowas could someone please explain why my mortar teams can't pick up mortar ammo a supply truck has dropped. Is there a specific way mortars rearm? its driving me nuts

Also is it a bug that I can't group move mortars?

Thnx
M

CTS
03-01-2011, 09:08 PM
There can be several possible reasons, i am not 100% if there are any specific mechanics concerning mortars... Generally, I am loading ammo "directly" from the truck only for tanks and such.

You can dedicate one soldier to moving ammo. Leave all his gear in the truck and fill up with ammo instead. Its a lot of micro management, but imo it pays off, since you can be sure you will only lose one man if something goes wrong, and you will not break any cover ( bags, barricades and such ) as you would with a truck.

You might need to "lift" your mortar team from firing position ( there is an icon for that ), before you can access a truck directly. Same goes for moving your mortar. It might also get "stuck" sometimes, even on a more or less even surface. Try to move it manually from the direct control mode. ( remember to lift it first ).

gamecat
03-01-2011, 10:02 PM
I'm afraid lifting the mortar team doesn't work. I have the same problem with the hmg. Even if I break off a soldier from the mortar then pick up ammo and then return to the mortar the ammo isn't added.

This is a serious problem at the moment rendering mortars and hmgs useless. This can't be right I must be doing something wrong.? Mortars are critical for my tactics as well as hmgs. Why they didn't do auto supply from a near truck is beyond me.

Cpre5
03-02-2011, 12:52 AM
I had the same issue until i took control myself and walked them straight into the side of the truck, then hitting x and clicking on the truck.

gamecat
03-02-2011, 07:17 AM
Superb will try this out.

Kreaken
03-02-2011, 02:48 PM
I have had success in commanding the supply truck to directly open 'trade window' with the mortar itself (this may require some aiming), it doesnt work if the operators are the one who get the ammo. This is the same with HMG/tanks/AT guns. In theory you could have a middle man transfer it which might be useful if you can't drive the truck up without it getting destroyed.

I will note however, that one time (battle of bulge) I tried resupplying a crucial mortar (you really can't move on without them in some spots) and the truck just ran the crew over, killing both of them. LOL i had a laugh and then got wiped out by one tank (med. Panzer) that came through and killed my two AT guns + sherman.

Hard mode can be tough at times and I doubt heroic is even possible without playing co-op (I imagine the extra micro help and the ability to voice communicate helps drastically), I have since switched to normal and find it much less frusterating.

gamecat
03-02-2011, 03:03 PM
I've found that a mortar can open trade screen with truch if its not setup. Works fine but how can i transfer 10 at a time rather than 1 or 50?!

Also is there any way of playing the ai in multiplayer apart from skirmish? Can i setup my own server to play the MP maps against AI?

Fotheringill
03-03-2011, 04:51 PM
I am new to the game. I read this thread. How is anyone supposed to keep track of everything with the obvious micro management required for reloading a mortar?

This baffles me. Is there an automatic way? I.E. managing things from platoon level on up or is intense micromanagement needed to even reload a rifle?

Lochar
03-03-2011, 05:52 PM
I am new to the game. I read this thread. How is anyone supposed to keep track of everything with the obvious micro management required for reloading a mortar?

This baffles me. Is there an automatic way? I.E. managing things from platoon level on up or is intense micromanagement needed to even reload a rifle?

Unfortunately this game requires tons of micromanaging and the manual sucks IMO. What I
Have been trying is setting up a decent defense and once that's in place start my supply micromanaging. Its still a pain at times and the glitch with disappearing bodies doesn't help matters. I finally got the knack for supply squads as if you keep em close when resupplying or looting they will divvy up the loot.

Fotheringill
03-03-2011, 06:14 PM
What manual? I downloaded the game through Steam and sure as hell didn't see one. Maybe it was in a supply truck or an airborne drop or maybe on a dead body?

Fotheringill
03-03-2011, 06:17 PM
Not to start picking things apart, BUT If an enemy body is pillaged and the dead guy has an ammo clip or ammo belt, will it fire in the weapon being carried by the live guy if he has a different caliber weapon?

CTS
03-03-2011, 06:18 PM

Hmm... Well, i would say that Hard/Very Hard difficulty might need some micromanagement to conserve your founds. But on easy ( an obvious place to start for a new player ), you will not need it at all. You can completely ignore ammo, health, cover and such, and focus on a more basic tactics, since you will not have to worry about lack of founds or allies/enemy ratio...

Lets take the mortar example: it has over 100 (!) shells/grenades in the inventory when you buy it. It will give you at least 2 minutes of a non-stop area bombardment. And when it is out of ammo - you can most probably buy a new one ( supply truck is not free anyways ). Soldiers have a shared ammo stash, when combined in groups ( not sure if it works when they are on the opposite sides of the map, but still... )

Lochar
03-04-2011, 05:46 AM
What manual? I downloaded the game through Steam and sure as hell didn't see one. Maybe it was in a supply truck or an airborne drop or maybe on a dead body?

It's in the game directory, pdf file, don't ask me why steam doesn't have quick link.

Fotheringill
03-04-2011, 03:34 PM
Thank you. I will look when I release myself from work this afternoon.

earlybird3
03-08-2011, 01:22 AM
Hmm... Well, i would say that Hard/Very Hard difficulty might need some micromanagement to conserve your founds. But on easy ( an obvious place to start for a new player ), you will not need it at all. You can completely ignore ammo, health, cover and such, and focus on a more basic tactics, since you will not have to worry about lack of founds or allies/enemy ratio...

he was asking how to reload ammo in a mortar. I have been playing the demo. No offense to any who love this game, but I'll decide this week to buy or not, and the buying a supply truck and not being able to resupply a mortar position is just stupid. I mean you can pop the mortar crew out of there and have them pick up ammo but then putting them back in they can't use it?! wt hell?! That's really is driving me crazy. Why have reload if you can't use it? It's not a matter of easy vs. hard "tactics" it's if this is micro managing, and I take the time to micromanage: why can't I reload the mortar? How do you do it?

TommyB
03-08-2011, 12:04 PM
earlybird3, The answer you seek was given in post #6

I have had success in commanding the supply truck to directly open 'trade window' with the mortar itself (this may require some aiming)

I have to agree, its a bit of a silly way to do it!

TommyB

awoodby
03-08-2011, 03:05 PM
To reload the mortar:

First off, earlybird3, we're only talking once it runs out of it's 100 ammo, not every reload (making sure you know that)
There are several ways.

The mortar needs to be in a nondeployed/travel position. Just speed walk (double-click) right next to the supply truck. Driving the truck up NEAR the mortar (not too close) speeds it up. Then just click the eyeball or the "X" with mortar selected, then double-click the truck.

Other way, tell one of your troops to leave the mortar, run HIM up to the supply truck, have him pick up mortars with the eye or "x", run back, click the "x" click on mortar, drop off. etc.

I use my tons of tank crew like mules, offloading any ammo from destroyed tanks and delivering it to other (soon also to be destroyed) tanks.

Of course, see other posts about how much all this micromanagement sucks...

awoodby
03-08-2011, 03:07 PM
Soldiers have a shared ammo stash, when combined in groups ( not sure if it works when they are on the opposite sides of the map, but still... )

They DO? How does one operate this magic stash? I keep having troops standing around with an empty weapon scratching their buts lol