PDA

View Full Version : Issues with skirmish mode (Bugs)

Kreaken
02-28-2011, 05:15 AM
Greetings,

I bought this game and played it a bunch over the weekend. Out of habit I started on Hard mode to give me a challenge and finally gave up and set it back down to Normal by level 3 (US campaign), the games were extremely long (often times a few hours) and near impossible due to a couple things:

- When loading a game (done often because I tend to get wiped out sometimes by a single tank or counterattack) most casualties are bugged as if they are alive and regenerating but are unusable. Sometimes they get miraculously revived but have no weapons (valuable corpses and dropped weapons are gone). I had moving vehicles poop out a tank crew member randomly when the game loaded - man down!

- the inefficiencies of grenade toss-pathing by infantry leads to unnecessary losses (why can't an AT nade be lobbed over a wall or an obstacle like a dead tank?) the range of throwing is a bit weak too.

- Vehicle driving/control. I played a lot of Company of heroes so the fluidity of their vehicles' pathing is my standard for quality. I've had (mostly armored cars) driving slowly/backwards just because it's near a hill or something.

- the difficulty in utilizing AT guns properly. Not only have I run into plenty of occasions where a good looking spot provides shitty line of sight for a cannon due to invisible landscape patterns, but often they will get sniped from afar by enemy AT emplacements/armor.

- Armor is oftentimes useless due to the sniper cannons throughout each map ('well i cleared those two cannons out maybe I can move up my armored ca-BOOM! shot from across the map'). The first time I ever got a high-end tank ('slugger' for 1200 points) he got one-shotted by a puma...Though he did do better when I re-tried from my save point.

- AMMO! man it wouldnt be that bad if I had only a handful of units but sometimes I will have over half my infantry ammo-less in the heat of battle* and need to choose between spending 5 minutes looking for loot/resupplying (if there is anything around) or waiting for more infantry...my last game I even spent a few minutes at the truck outfitting all my men with more ammo/gear (esp. sniper) but this is nothing but tedious.

*someone make a mod/patch so that you can pick up a weapon and it's corresponding ammo type (x1) and be good to go? expendable ammo works in FPS because you are managing one guy's inventory and can switch guns with one button and instantly pick up ammo. Some times I feel like I am playing World of Warcraft (boo) when trying to outfit some lowly soldiers for 3 minutes before they get blown up 1 minute later by a precise cannon shot. It just doesn't seem to work in an action packed, time-sensitive game.

- Reinforcements, Esp. infantry, are constantly bugged out. I will call in a 8/10-member infantry squad to a point and 6 of them will blob up and stop half way there while others will stand at their spawn. Support weapons stop and set up in base despite being called to front lines.

- Overpowered enemy artillery + underpowered bombing run. neberwerfers are WAY too accurate (unrealistic imo) and can easily one-shot 1-2 tanks behind cover if they are within range. My last game I tried ambushing one with an airborne squad and he simply turned around and accurately bombed me almost point blanc. solution? bomb it with planes! nope it usually just decrews them which gets fixed within 3 minutes (time enough for nothing) when the next wave of patrols comes in.

- AT infantry ineffectiveness. I have tried getting one or two of these set up (esp. early game for that first armor) near the front lines-hiding and waiting for my order to fire. Ill pick a spot and order the attack and see the bazooka fire at the cover he was behind and kill himself and the support guy run head first into the armor to get cut to shreds...*face palm*

This is getting drawn out so I'll leave it at that. I actually got the game because it was so intriguingly complex and challenging in the demo, I would just like some of these bugs fixed so that most of the micromanagement is spent on more engaging things (i.e the battle, positioning, abilities, etc) and not making sure my squad's medic isn't left at the spawn point cause he didn't get the memo. I understand Some of these things may be due to my naivete and inexperience, but I hope the balance issues are taken care of.

Comments/additions welcome!

vorius
03-01-2011, 02:49 PM
I agree with most of your points.

It is really annoying to get sniped from across the map especially by those damn Flak 41 guns - I mean come on this anti-aircraft gun might as well be called the death ray. It completely obliterates tanks in one snap shot from tremendous range and could also wipe out a group of infantry with its HE round.

I really dont think those things should out-range tanks, especially the heavier tanks!

The pathfinding for reinforcements is extremely annoying - I always have to babysit my new guys so they actually get to where I want them to go otherwise you are right, they sit at the spawn point or mindlessly wander nearby, far from the position I wanted them to go.

Rainmaker
03-01-2011, 04:04 PM
totally agree with you guys. if they dont fix it it will be another fail in the sea of bad games. so far Soldiers: Heroes of World War 2 is the best in this series of games. Men of War is also good if you can make it work with Dynamic Campaign Generator.

- the difficulty in utilizing AT guns properly. Not only have I run into plenty of occasions where a good looking spot provides shitty line of sight for a cannon due to invisible landscape patterns, but often they will get sniped from afar by enemy AT emplacements/armor.

- Armor is oftentimes useless due to the sniper cannons throughout each map ('well i cleared those two cannons out maybe I can move up my armored ca-BOOM! shot from across the map'). The first time I ever got a high-end tank ('slugger' for 1200 points) he got one-shotted by a puma...Though he did do better when I re-tried from my save point.

Exactly. When I mentioned that in vanila Men of War, Sherman with its sh*ty 75 mm cannon can penetrate frontal armor of a tiger tank (or side armor from very long distance) they just ignored it or made it like I was lying. So what I am trying to say, if they don't give a f*ck whats the point of all this. They will not get my money if they don't fix Assault squad. I knew this would happen. It dont suprise me, I am back to Soldiers Heroes of world war 2 again.

I am sick of AI cloacking device and not seeing what destroyed my tank or armored car. The things are so hard to see compared to vanila Men of war and Soldiers HOWW2. I WANT to SEE what is happening on the battlefield!!!!!!!!

Jammermon
03-01-2011, 06:04 PM
[QUOTE=vorius;229592]
"It is really annoying to get sniped from across the map especially by those damn Flak 41 guns -
It completely obliterates tanks in one snap shot from tremendous range and could also wipe out a group of infantry with its HE round.
I really dont think those things should out-range tanks, especially the heavier tanks!"

Unfortunately it is accurately rendered. In North Africa they were known for 2,000 meter kills when the tanks opposed had to close to 500 meters or less for a dependable anti-gun kill. And the 88MM was by far more dreaded than higher caliber German artillery... because of its high velocity it was silent until after the explosion...

As a game it's not fun, but it is accurate.
You need long distance suppression, or use a covered approach until close.

Kreaken
03-02-2011, 02:59 PM
[QUOTE=vorius;229592]
As a game it's not fun, but it is accurate.
You need long distance suppression, or use a covered approach until close.

I like the strategy talk. I actually enjoy the challenge to some extent (barring the occasional frustration), though what sucks is when you are trying to sneak up through some nearby trees and you get spotted - whole squads get destroyed. In hard mode (haven't even looked at heroic) there are much more AT guns hiding around + Flaks so advancing becomes next to impossible given the constant flood of enemy armor+infantry.

Generally I like to watch videos of good players do their thing (like watching an expert game shoutcast of Company of Heroes) so that I beat the learning curve a bit. The problem is that there doesn't seem to be such a thing for this game sans a few replays on youtube (mostly from beta, and usually playing normal mode).

Does anyone know of a source of replays/strategy for this game?