PDA

View Full Version : Is Germany overpowered?

vorius
02-28-2011, 04:49 AM
Its hard for me to gauge this as it's only my 4th battle - the 2nd one you face against Germany as USA, but it feels like its just too hard to fight the Germans.

It always ends up I get a great start going but as soon as the German tanks start rolling out it's so difficult to counter them.

I try the AT guns of course, but my AT guys seem slow and lack range. They get picked off so incredibly easily.

I try the AT infantry and while they are effective in terms of firepower its so rare for them to get close enough to attack. Usually they end up mowed down by machine guns or killed by enemy infantry.

I try my own tanks but there's a double whammy - the German tanks outgun them and out distance them and also the German AT guns are like laser cannons. They pick off my tanks so efficiently. I wish my AT guns were like that... Also the Germans get these Flak cannons which might as well be called death rays. They kill everything, tanks and infantry with such ease. I am relegated to having to keep a long distance and call air strikes if I am ever to pass those positions.

I only put "Normal" difficulty I didnt expect this to be so hard.

Guess I have to put it on Easy

classic_leon
02-28-2011, 01:14 PM
I used airborne dudes to take out those 88 and rockets. If these dudes are not lucky to completely destroy these artilleries with their anti-tank grenades, just take control of these artilleries and enemies will rip off your dudes along with the artilleries...they will not die in vain, and will die for Uncle Sam. Try this step by step till their artilleries are all gone. You now can start going farward. However never ever take last three positions (rewardable positions) except the final one (no reward; on the top of map), otherwise their crazy reinforcement are coming as hell. just take 2 of these 3, and the final one. then take the last one of these 3. And you will make Uncle Sam proud.

vorius
02-28-2011, 03:46 PM
How do you use airborne?

I have so far tried dropping them near the target but the problem then is they got shot up before they can do any damage.

And in many places there just is not a safe landing spot close to the target (a place where no one would see them)

vorius
02-28-2011, 05:39 PM
Ugh what is up with this game

I have my AT gun crew setup and I keep clicking on an enemy tank clearly in their view and they point their barrel at the tank and just watch - they never fire.

They just wait there and then the enemy tank laser beams a shot on them and blows them up.

This is a brand new AT gun, so no ammo issues.

They have a clear unobstructed view of the target and on top of that the enemy can shoot them as well so its not a issue of view.

I am so frustrated with this

KnightFandragon
02-28-2011, 07:00 PM
Lolz, best solution ever, DONT rely on the AI to shoot and do stuff in this game, they are pretty brainless at times it seems, instead figure out the Direct Control feature and get proficient at it......Once you do, youyr troubles will melt away haha....AT Guns and Tank...Direct Control.....The AI is dumber then a Brick and will in most cases just sit there and die

classic_leon
02-28-2011, 11:08 PM
Drop your airbone boy to the back of an artillery. Start from the long-range rocket on the top when enemy reinforcements are not coming at the moment. If you are lucky, you may get one rocket to roll all other artilleries.

Agreed. You can only rely on your direct control to shoot, otherwise your units are staring blankly without rhyme or reason.

vorius
03-01-2011, 02:40 PM
OMG Were you right about Direct Control.

Its a WORLD of difference!

I assumed direct control of a tank and of course I now have the advantage of being able to maneuver intelligently and use obstacles for cover but what surprised me that I could now fire at about the same ranges the enemy fires at me. Why does the AI for my tanks just sit idle taking shots while not firing when it can, as I can when in direct control? I mean, why isnt it the same AI as the enemy who seems to be much more capable? Is the player's units AI made handicapped on purpose?

Also I am able to clear out enemy AT positions pretty easily now as well when in direct control - something which was virtually impossible when under AI control since when I ask a tank to attack an AT position they seem to think they need to drive up within stone throw's distance to it.

Kreaken
03-02-2011, 03:42 PM
Yeah direct control makes a huge difference, esp. when you can HE round snipe enemy AT guns at times. Also, I haven't mastered it yet but using DC with a flamethrower is probably my favorite things about the game so far. Advance with a squad of infantry and lay some smoke down to cover your advance and then just waltz in laying everything to waste! (just walk into any obstacle or you will splash yourself and permanently lose your soldier.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to figure out how to setup the dynamic camera with my mouse and have to revert to the numpad which is hurting my experience with the action somewhat. Anyone know how I can do this? I have a wireless laser mouse (logitech) with wheel + extra buttons.

KnightFandragon
03-02-2011, 04:00 PM
Why does the AI for my tanks just sit idle taking shots while not firing when it can, as I can when in direct control? I mean, why isnt it the same AI as the enemy who seems to be much more capable? Is the player's units AI made handicapped on purpose?

Also I am able to clear out enemy AT positions pretty easily now as well when in direct control - something which was virtually impossible when under AI control since when I ask a tank to attack an AT position they seem to think they need to drive up within stone throw's distance to it.

Your tanks sit idle because the gun has a shorter engagement range then the actual gun. If you look at gun files you will see, or atleast on some guns, I mostly see it on infantry weapons, Aim Range and Max Range. That is the MP44 stats, the aim range and max range. Aim Range is like the AI's engagement range and they wont fire by themselves at that range unless you tell them to, even if they are being shot at.

{from "pattern smg"
{filling "ammo pistol" 30}
{mass 5}
{entity "sg44"}
{fireSound "smg/mp44_burst/"}
{reloadSound "mp44"}
{speed 130}

{recoveryTime 0.15}

{aimRange 60} ; == maxRange
{maxRange 60}
{spreading 1
{BurstAccuracy 100 92 84 76 68 60}
{SpreadPower 1}
{SpreadXYRatio 1.5}
{SpreadYadjust 0.25}
}
{burst
{short 3 1}
{long 8 1}
}
{healthDamage 65}
("accuracy_carabine")
}

I figured it out after the G3 Rifle my infantry had was set to 20 aim range and were only shooting at 20........So its the same thing with tanks as well. I find it best to just DIrect Control everything, including a single infantry man. Ive done with a single DC's infantry man what I couldnt do with a whole damn division.

As for the tanks driving up to the targets, yeah its annoying haha. Direct Control is what made me love this game..........it was when I played the Demo, saw Gas limits in the tanks, ammo limits for infantry and tanks and then there was Direct Control....it was love at first Explosion =D This game is like the RTS that never was hahah...DC is what makes this game that much better then CoH to me.....cuz in CoH, the ranges are already set to stone throws distance and there is no DC...not real DC anyway haha
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

As for the question of the thread..."Is Germany Overpowered".......I cant say in Men of War: Assault Squad as I have not played it, but in Regular Men of War, id have to say yes. A Well played German team cannot be beat by any other nation. Thier guns are more effective, thier armor is superior and they get the MP44. Once they get thier Panthers and King Tigers and stuff like that, if the German players have brains there is not alot of anything the Allied player can hope to do. Infantry spotting for the Panzer's, tanks blowing away any panzy Sherman thrown at the Panzers....yeah, it is pretty ugly.