PDA

View Full Version : Questions from the new single player demo : What will full game be like?

Prowlinger
02-17-2011, 02:34 PM
Hey everyone... I just tried the sp demo last night and absolutely loved it!
Granted my PC is well out of date and it was nearly a slide show the whole way,
I stuck it out through the starter mission and the Carentan mission.
This is exactly how I envisioned MoW to be but it was more mp than sp for skirmish like play.

Having skirmish is wicked. I normally don't play multiplayer, so skirmish is a much needed addition. The control points system and reinforcements... brilliant and perfectly executed!

Now I have a few questions, if anyone has some answers about the full retail game...

1. The 2 missions in the demo were based on a rectangle map. Are there maps that are more evenly square? Silly question I know, but as example the introductory map (USA vs JAPAN) was so linear that you pretty much only had room to barely move your troops side to side. I would hope more maps are square and your strategy can vary any direction.

2. Starting Points - Will there be possible random starting points for skirmish missions? It would really be cool to mix it up and never know where the enemy is coming from.

3. The USA vs GERMANY mission... it appeared that the USA had very limited units per category. Are there actually more in the retail game?

4. Will hero units and special abilities work in skirmish games? I didn't notice this in the demo.

5. Health Bars - Something I suggested in MoW but didn't happen. Is there a way to turn off the health bars and tank dmg notification? This is a personal request during skirmishes to make it more lifelike and very good for making movies. (And will make playing a much greater challenge).

6. How many maps are there to skirmish on? Are the same maps you skirmish on the same as the multiplayer and or single player maps?

7. Previous Maps - There were some great MoW maps... will they ever be converted to MoW:AS or they just won't work? What about player created maps?

8. Is there a way to remap the camera button yet? (Middle mouse button... would like it to be... CTRL as example).

9. What would the specs need to be on a new system to get this game to run max details / 1920 x resolution / minimum Anti aliasing and be 50+ fps?

(My Pentium 4-300mhz Hyperthreaded system with 4gb ram and a 1gb video card is WAY out of spec to play this... so I am buying a new PC! :)

10. Windows 7 vs XP ... is there a speed or performance difference when playing this?

11. Is there a way to lock onto a unit and it stay focused on it while moving? (To make movies or watching a unit progress w/o having to scroll the map continuously)

12. Is there a way to have 'fog of war' so you cannot scroll through the map and see what is coming at you?

13. AI - I have noticed that in my demo while playing... when the map was full of destruction, units and chaos... many infantry stood around and did nothing or was not hiding properly. I am thinking that my CPU is at max and cannot process more AI algorithms and this was the result. So is this an issue with the AI when the maps get full or just my old PC running out of gas?

14. Purchase Points - So... when you gain flags you get points to buy new units... I guess the AI gets the same options? Can you preset points per side? Like if I am Russia and want Germans to have 1000 more points starting the game (to make it very challenging)... is this possible?

So ... I just bought Red Tide... it is good but very hard... seeing as most game play is linear solutions. MoW:AS is more wide open to do what you want... much more than MoW was .... I love it....!!!

Thank you for taking the time to answer...

DMS|Instinct
02-17-2011, 03:14 PM
1. They are like the Carentan, not like the first mission.
2. The AI has random at-gun positions and the units come from random directions.
3. In multiplayer yes, in skirmish not, at least not for the retail game.
4. They are available in demo and are displayed outside the subcategories.
5. You can disable the notifications in coop or use a mod to disable them.
6. 16 exclusive maps for skirmish, they are not available in regular multiplayer.
7. The game is fully modable and the skirmish script is not hardcoded, so there is no limit for user generated content. The editor ships with the game.
8. I think that button can only be switched manually in the configs in own documents/mowas/
9. Well to have it running on such high specs you'd require a PC starting at 800$ upwards
10. There is no real difference.
11. You can center on a unit by pressing "F", but there is no camera follow mode except when being in direct control "E".
12. See the category "Game" in options.
13. Enemy AI should not stand around except those defending, hard to say what was happening when you played it.
14. The AI runs on a different tick adapting to your progress and newly gained strength. On higher difficulties it gets more aggressive the longer you take to capture points. You can't change values like that, but the difficulties provide you options to make the game very difficult, see heroic.

Prowlinger
02-17-2011, 06:36 PM
More questions to questions ... lol -

#4 ... ok so I did get 101st Airborne units as a reward... maybe this was one?

#5 ... super... when I was into MoW awhile back, the mod to remove it required direct DLL / EXE change to make it work... maybe not this time? :)

#6 ... Are the maps tied to specific forces? Like Carentan is only USA vs GERMANY? Or is it possible to throw in RUSSIA vs JAPAN there? (silly me!)

#7 ... Can MoW maps convert to work in MoW:AS ? I am sure there will have to be some new placements for capture points etc...

#14 ... I was impressed at how the enemy did counter my attacks with smarter ones... but I do think my PC was choking the AI from performing at its best...

__________________________________________________ _______
Round 2?
__________________________________________________ _______

#20 ... Documentation... are there good documentation or a manual that explains all the units per country or maps of the skirmish battles etc? Most games now sadly don't ship with good manuals... was just curious if that was even a concern for this game? No biggy though... I have (20) WW2 books on Tanks, Soldiers, Planes etc on the shelf ...

#21 ... Is the same development team that created MoW:AS doing MoW: Vietnam? My reason for asking is if we have the possibility of seeming more maps, free maps, or addons from you guys. (The only thing I can imagine missing would be the Italians, Polish, and a few others). I totally could see a wicked Afrika / Italian Expansion for MoW:AS though :D

#22 ... Will MoW: AS make use of quad / six core processors and or 5-20gb ram systems? More power... bigger maps? :)

#23 ... Is Coop use the same maps as multiplayer or does it use skirmish?

#24 ... As a modder, I wonder why the multiplayer maps are different from skirmish? (just smaller or less memory consuming?)

#25 ... The MoW had SO many release versions that it was a mess to patch between distributor versions. Is all this resolved now using STEAM?

#26 ... Destruction... I love it... great work! What is the dev teams favorite weapons of destruction?

Keep up the great work! Can't wait to play!

[SOE]No.Mam
02-17-2011, 08:19 PM
#22 ... Will MoW: AS make use of quad / six core processors and or 5-20gb ram systems? More power... bigger maps? :)

MoW:AS GEM engine (v2.5) didnt support multicore CPUs. possible newer version (v3.0) support multi core systems.

Lochar
02-19-2011, 03:44 AM
So far enjoying the demo, altho I will miss my small squad missions as a variety.

My 1 question is this, are they relying SOLEY on you using supply trucks versus scavenging ammo off of bodies this time?

I still see bodies on the ground but most of them are in the firing zones and all bodies past that disappear as well as item drops. I can see the drag this might cause on the game but kind of disappointing when I am low not to just send someone over to scrounge a few bodies for ammo...

DMS|Instinct
02-19-2011, 03:24 PM
4. It's one, yes.
5. The healthbars can only be removed by changing player units to non player AI. You can only do so in editor, you will still be capable of controlling them but they behave like units controlled by AI.
6. The skirmishes are, however you can mod them to your liking.
7. It is possible to mod files from older games into new ones of the seires, not vice versa.

20. There is no indepth guide, however we are collecting guides in our forums, official as well as user written ones.
http://www.digitalmindsoft.eu/forums/viewforum.php?f=149
21. MoW:Vietnam is done by an inhouse team of 1C, we are not related to them.
22. It's supports running them, but it the engine is not designed to make specific use of them.
23. Coop are the skirmish missions played together with your friends or people you meet online.
24. They can be done in a same way, however in competitive multiplayer, maps should have less details to avoid performance issues.
25. If you use steam, you won't have troubles anyway, we are now directly communicating with them to assure everything goes fine. We also make sure patching will be a much easier thing to do in general.
26. I can't speak in behalf of everyone, but I like the Nebelwerfer 41 most.

My 1 question is this, are they relying SOLEY on you using supply trucks versus scavenging ammo off of bodies this time?
Well, in skirmish it might happen that infantry is dissappearing faster due to the amount of units in general. However it's not purposefully designed to force you to use supply trucks. I still think it works in many occassions to collect inventory from enemies.