PDA

View Full Version : Issues with hard difficulty in skirmish mode

Asianmanman32
02-06-2011, 04:45 AM
Just a couple of issues with some of the current skirmish scenarios.

1. The enemy reinforcement scale as you capture points is absurd. Usually right after taking the first set, the AI will immediately starting calling in an absurd amount of tanks, which you must immediately start pouring resources into countering. While this is manageable, it starts to get ridiculous when they start sending sluggers/jumbos/jagdpanthers/panthers your way and all you have to counter it is some useless at or medium tanks.

2. Enemy AI tanks are essentially gigantic ***holes. Tanks that go down fairly easily in normal will become god-like in hard. They will consistently one shot AT, laugh at you as 6 shots from your at/tanks bounce off their armor, all the while they outnumber you usually around 3 to 1. This combined with problem one makes getting past the first set of points impossible.

3. This goes with problem 1, but after you take the first set of points, it becomes really hard if not impossible to move up. I am constantly pouring manpower into countering enemy tanks all the while trading a few here or there. Eventually, the enemy starts calling tanks within 30 second periods of each other, and you just don't have the manpower to handle it.

4. The random glitches in the game can really hamper your progress, sometimes causing a loss. I've watched AT guns explode as they run over an empty box, world killing both the guys on it. In the russian scenario, the 203mm gun literally disappeared, with no log as to what happened to it.

MOW is a good game. It was a ton of fun learning how to play, and mastering each scenario that was presented to me. However, the jump of difficulty from normal to hard is too much. My friend and i have been able to easily tackle each of the 4 scenarios on normal, but on hard, it becomes a completely different story.

Crni vuk
02-08-2011, 11:37 AM
I am curious, do you play those missions "alone" ? Because they are from what I remember not meant to be played that way.

Depending on the difficulty you should have at least 2 people with you in the missions. That way you can easily beat the AI, if you and your team mates know what they are doing.

Asianmanman32
02-09-2011, 06:19 AM
I am curious, do you play those missions "alone" ? Because they are from what I remember not meant to be played that way.

Depending on the difficulty you should have at least 2 people with you in the missions. That way you can easily beat the AI, if you and your team mates know what they are doing.

Always at least one other, sometimes two. I might just be a nub, but these were some of the issues i noticed.

Crni vuk
02-11-2011, 12:56 PM
sometimes the missions can be hard it has nothing to do with beeing a "noob". Even with 3 or 4 players we could not win always or it would take a lot of time. While the enemy AI isnt really inteligent they can easily overrun your position with sheer numbers or just superior equipment (fighting a M36 with your Panzer III ... ).

jorxe33
09-12-2011, 05:13 PM
let me tell you that I've played the game in heroic level and it was easy for me. You only have to atack the enemy tanks by the flanks, accumulate points and little by little buy tanks and rangers or sas, then when you have a good army, atack simultaneously all the "checkpoints" or "flags" like an avalanche. You win easy ¡in the heroic level!:grin:

Bliep
09-12-2011, 09:43 PM
Then you've to explain me how you managed level 2 of the americans scenario like that. That 88's will simply rip anything you send over the fields apart.

The only way I managed that scenario was by digging in capturing 5 tigers and flanking on the left and sacrificing loads of rangers to get my Mustang to simply blow up half the map.

To the topic starter:

My tips for heroic level (individual) gameplay:

- Learn how enemy armour moves over the map.
- Ambush with infan, repair armour move it to the back.
- Rince and repeat till you have enough armour to make an armoured fist.
- Flank till a point you can bufffer the enemy and dig in.
- Reinforce
- Repeat the above

This will cost you ages and many sleepless nights *sigh*

jorxe33
09-13-2011, 03:31 PM
the heroic level is easy but the trick is destroy all the enemy static arty before advance far in the map. This is due to you need to flank the enemy tanks in order to destroy them easy. In that case several of the 88s can be destroyed by landing paratroopers near and throwing grenades (be sure of destroying them, not only kill the crew, because other enemy infantry could take it again)
This is possible until you can reach the airstrike, then with the airstrike will be more easy destroy them:grin:

Bliep
09-15-2011, 09:06 AM
Could you upload some savegames for me to check that tactics (as well as some of the start of Carentan), cause the only way I manage second level of the yanks is with stealing armour. 101st gets shredded before they even touch the soil since the whole map is literally crawling with infan.

For me Carentan is an epic fail since enemy armour seems to be able to rip anything apart in my base from the other side of the river and you stand no chance to get to it cause there is to much enemy infantry around.

As stated in my other mail the problem with this game is an absent AI next to some other absurdities like omnipresent field of view for enemy units. I wonder if the devs ever sat in a Sherman or Panzer IV and marvel at the field of vision you don't have.

Bliep
09-16-2011, 03:42 PM
No need for the savegames anymore.

I figured out that when using flamethrowers in direct control their useable range is drastically increased. This makes them actually horrible effective units.

Now I can blitz on most maps and establish a decent "beachhead" far enough from my main base to survive.

And another "-" for the already great AI. *sigh*

jorxe33
09-20-2011, 03:28 AM
I'm back, please excuse my absence, Here are the savegames:
http://www.4shared.com/folder/QXh2-da-/_online.html

Bliep
09-21-2011, 10:03 AM
Thx,

I'll have a look at them. I manage the levels now but still have to reload a lot cause of those bloody Tigers killing of my armour through 4 buildings cause a enemy grunt spotted it and communicated it's position telepathically *sigh*