PDA

View Full Version : A few questions about this game.

Lochar
02-05-2011, 02:10 AM
Ive recently been playing MoW the original and while Ive have enjoyed it I was wondering if these things still exist in the newest of the series.

1. Out of Ammo indicators? When these games were small squad based, being out of ammo wasnt a major issue as you only had control over 6-10 guys but when you now are commanding a few platoons this has been an annoying issue that guys would stand there with no ammo. I dont mind the ammo aspect but either give them an icon like healing does or add some AI so they will scrounge close by.

2. Vehicle damage - same kind of premise for ammo, when I am controlling several AT guns and tanks, and one has a busted main cannon, it just sits there. Until I notice it and start the process of trying to get repair, its just an inactive piece of weaponry.

The last is kind of a general question about the whole MoW series, was this game designed mainly for mp? Or fast paced twitch gaming? I love the logistics feel for this game, but without pausing, it just seems that I am micromanaging on so much that its hard to concentrate on getting tactics done. I guess was always used to games like sudden strike or blitzkrieg where I could start out the game paused and issue several chains of orders to units and then let it unfold, but the pause function in MoW doesnt allow for much and doing it in realtime has me losing men because I cant manage them on a grand scale. Not so much my tactics stink as while I am looking for guys to get more ammo or repair something another side is being overun and I am not adjusting fast enough.

Sorry I rambled but trying to find the best way to enjoy this game and maybe I am getting too old for these types of RTS's I really do want to enjoy it and get into it because these types of games arent that common.

KnightFandragon
02-05-2011, 04:25 PM
No, im pretty sure Assault Squad has no out of ammo indicators or damaged unit indicators. You do just have to have some kind of good battlefield awareness and pay close attention to all your men to notice things like that. Your only out of ammo indicators are the numbers in the ammo counter on units, past that there is nothing. Thats why I prefer a smaller unit, like 2 maybe 3 squads of 4-6 men and a few tanks and cannons. Large scale battles id get totally lost.

CzaD
02-06-2011, 09:46 AM
To my mind, the game was originally designed for SP missions. It is like Commandos but on a larger scale and with a focus on battle tactics. However, MP had become very popular and Assault Squad provides new content (maps, units) and attempts to improve it.

I really enjoy a good mission. It is more relaxing and allows you to spend some time thinking and planning. Skirmish is not like that. It won’t let you rest for a second. AI relentlessly pushes on. And things you mentioned about ammo and damage might become an issue to many players, not only the new ones.

As far as MP micromanagement is concerned, it is not very easy. The best way to enjoy it is to play with your friends or people who play at the same level as you. For me, 1 in 5 random battles is enjoyable.