PDA

View Full Version : Friday 2011-01-28 Dev. update and Discussion

Pages : [1] 2

Oleg Maddox
01-28-2011, 04:12 PM
Hi,

Today we were makning some chronicles of development in video format for the next video updates. Probably here we will give the direct links. So wait it in the next updates

Today is one photo from the studio where we recorded video and some shots.

NSU
01-28-2011, 04:14 PM
who is the girl?

fireflyerz
01-28-2011, 04:14 PM
Blimey...

winny
01-28-2011, 04:15 PM
who is the girl?

I knew that would be the first question!

meplay
01-28-2011, 04:16 PM
nice

1.JaVA_Sharp
01-28-2011, 04:16 PM
nice!

NSU
01-28-2011, 04:17 PM
I knew that would be the first question!

Ilya look so lucky, i think she is his girl ;)

the landscape picture look very good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Matt255
01-28-2011, 04:17 PM
who is the girl?
Texture artist for sure.

Thanks for the update.

addman
01-28-2011, 04:19 PM
Now I understand why the game has taken so long, imagine having her walking around the office all day....;) Seriously though, thnx for update and looking forward to video.

wildone_106
01-28-2011, 04:19 PM
AWESOME you guys are doing an AMAZING JOB!!!!!!!!!!!

Dano
01-28-2011, 04:20 PM
Looking great :D

Love the way the cliffs stand out in the distance on the third shot :)

the Dutchman
01-28-2011, 04:21 PM
Pretty girls are a cheap way of selling products.........jeez,those russians............:rolleyes:
Who gives a shXt,better do something about that terrain!
(i wonder if this gets me banned......:))

Not quite but if you insist :)

Qpassa
01-28-2011, 04:21 PM
Now I understand why the game has taken so long, imagine having her walking around the office all day....;) Seriously though, thnx for update and looking forward to video.

Agree, more hard working and less looking :-P :grin:
Thanks for the update

Glider_UK
01-28-2011, 04:22 PM
Pretty girls are a cheap way of selling products.........jeez,those russians............:rolleyes:
Who gives a shXt,better do something about that terrain!
(i wonder if this gets me banned......:))

it should do

great job

JG52Uther
Nice pictures! The landscape shot from the Blenheim pit look amazing.

150GCT_Veltro
Tracers still look like Star Wars (or it's viceversa as somebody said) but those girl is really amazing!!!!!!

Zappatime
01-28-2011, 04:23 PM
Ilya look so lucky, i think she is his girl ;)

the landscape picture look very good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah that's the best background we've seen so far:mrgreen:

the Dutchman
01-28-2011, 04:25 PM
it should do

Aaahhhhh,the british and their humor,it's the best,i mean it!
LOL

addman
01-28-2011, 04:25 PM
Tracers still look like Star Wars (or it's viceversa as somebody said) but those girl is really amazing!!!!!!

Well, it might be because it's just a still picture. Imagine the MG's spitting out all those rounds in real-time, it will be so fast you won't see the tracers as so long.

Pato Salvaje
01-28-2011, 04:26 PM
Thanks. Awesome photos like always... good work!

JG4_Helofly
01-28-2011, 04:30 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzlvF--6bPI

Looks pretty close to reality IMO.

Towarisch
01-28-2011, 04:32 PM
Hello Oleg and Team.

Thanks for this weekly Update. And we all wait for the next Video Update....but one week is so lo.o..o...o.ong;)

And so much luck for the man who has this nice girl on his side....(for both;):) )

Sorry for my poor English...but i hope you`ll understand it:)

And a good nice weekend for you and everybody in your team.

MfG

Towarisch

CharveL
01-28-2011, 04:33 PM
Igoromir display girl be sure

352ndBushpilot
01-28-2011, 04:34 PM
Excellent shots!

Daniël
01-28-2011, 04:36 PM
Nice! Is that the moon during daytime in picture 4? Or a UFO?;)

Trumper
01-28-2011, 04:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzlvF--6bPI

Looks pretty close to reality IMO.
It depends on the shutter speed of the camera

johnnypfft
01-28-2011, 04:38 PM
When is the video update? Today? :confused:

Birdflu
WOW !!! Nice

julien673
Why are you so much smiling on that picture, lovely lady :). It a surpise attack it why they don t evade ?

Dano
01-28-2011, 04:40 PM
It depends on the shutter speed of the camera

Indeed, which is why they're drawn out in that shot and props look like a disc while in the next shot the tracer looks like a dot and props are more clearly defined as individual blades.

Adjustable shutter speed on screenshots :cool:

Luftwaffepilot
01-28-2011, 04:43 PM
Probably here we will give the direct links. So wait it in the next updates

I do not completely understand what he means. Can someone help me out?

Flanker35M
01-28-2011, 04:44 PM
S!

Looks better and better..and I do NOT wonder why Oleg and Iliya are smiling ;) :D

1.JaVA_Sharp
01-28-2011, 04:45 PM

the next updates will be updates with video. Expect direct links to said video.

JG52Uther
01-28-2011, 04:45 PM
My translation: Come back next Friday you might get a video.

zauii
01-28-2011, 04:46 PM
Awsome as always, cheers Oleg & Team :)

Osprey
01-28-2011, 04:48 PM
I can't judge without video but I'm hoping (expecting) for smoke tracer. I believe a few weeks back it was mentioned that different belting was an option though.

Do all of the gauges in the cockpit work? The oil pressure indicators always seem so static. In Spitfire pits in 1946 they are just for show but in this I'm expecting movement, but I haven't seen shots of video to indicate this yet.

Luftwaffepilot
01-28-2011, 04:49 PM
the next updates will be updates with video. Expect direct links to said video.

My translation: Come back next Friday you might get a video.

Thx. So he will post the link to the video in this thread?

Freycinet
01-28-2011, 04:54 PM
IL2: Jaggies Over Dover. Does anti-aliasing actually work in this game or do I need to wear a pair of ill-made eye glasses to blur out all the jaggies?

This is a development update, not a release of promo material.

speculum jockey
01-28-2011, 04:55 PM
To those of you who are totally astonished about this Friday's update. Here's a little trick to help you out. . .

1. Go to Google.

2. Click on Image Search.

3. Type in "Woman". (without quotations)

4. Voila! Pictures of women!

Next time there is a person of the female persuation in a Friday update you don't have to totally embarrass yourselves due to the shock of seeing one.

Edit: Luthier! Is that some DX11 style tessellation I'm seeing in your jeans just below the belt line?

Tte. Costa
01-28-2011, 04:56 PM
Aha! I got you Oleg!
You put a picture of a nice girl to confuse our attention and not to speak about the AA, FM, DM, DX11, the color of the grass, the inclination of the cliffs, and so on.
Mmmmm... very clever man! ;)

Is she the girl we have to save in a rescue mission? :)

Nice screenshots as allways, looking forward for the video update.

Bearcat
01-28-2011, 04:59 PM
Looks good.. the terrain looks great. One thing that used to really kill it for me in IL2 (one of the few things actually..) was the scale.. but it looks like this might not be a problem here based on some of the ground shots from previous screens.. I like the way you can see the shadows on each individual tree.. I'd be really curious to set up a DF and watch the shadows change in real time...

deadmeat313
01-28-2011, 05:03 PM
Just look at the scruffy Italian kite, with its flaking paint and tatty aileron!

At least the RAF are tidy. :P :D

Luftwaffepilot
01-28-2011, 05:08 PM
Can't wait for the real stuff in next friday's update.

major_setback
01-28-2011, 05:08 PM
Igoromir display girl be sure

Really? You're sure she isn't an engineer? Designer? Director of a company?
I'm sure she loves reading what we write!

Jeez guys, so many sexist comments.

Great update.
Colours look good.

Azazello
01-28-2011, 05:09 PM
Cool, looks like the Hurricane's got death rays.

Daniël
01-28-2011, 05:11 PM
Cool, looks like the Hurricane's got death rays.

Maybe not death rays, but it can certainly kill you...

Old_Canuck
01-28-2011, 05:23 PM
Download in 1.5 months. Looks promising. Thanks for the update and a friendly non-sexist greeting from Canada to the lovely young lady. No I'm not gay, I'm old.

BG-09
01-28-2011, 05:25 PM
Easy guys...the girl is 3D...she will be a nurse if you get wounded. Nice job Oleg...Have some mercy to us!
<------BG-09------<<<

Coen020
01-28-2011, 05:38 PM
I want it now!!!!!!!!!

sorry, a little of my rage just utterly found it's way out.

eehnnniieeeway, nice update, looking forward to the videos.

The Kraken
01-28-2011, 05:40 PM
Very nice. And yes, the tracers still look exactly like they should.

zakkandrachoff
01-28-2011, 05:42 PM
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm. this deffect in the letters in the Fiat G 50 is old
the letter must be scratch like the skin of the plane!!!
O MY GOD! oleg are give us very old """updates"!!!:mad:

http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae188/zakkandrachoff/Untitled-1tg.jpg

but that giirl, o waht a Beauty!!!:eek: i am in love! nice girl!

very shine oleg have cancer, or sik, because in the pic... my Oma that have more than 80 years old y much better way than he!

baronWastelan
01-28-2011, 05:44 PM
A pretty woman arrives in Oleg's 993. Same in Russia as in California :D

Dano
01-28-2011, 05:44 PM
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm. this deffect in the letters in the Fiat G 50 is old
the letter must be scratch like the skin of the plane!!!
O MY GOD! oleg are give us very old """updates"!!!:mad:

Oleg asked for feedback on how they should appear months ago.

Crane
01-28-2011, 05:45 PM
Pics are nice but please try and use AA or will the game not run with it on?

NLS61
01-28-2011, 05:45 PM
Im going to get flamed for sure,
Here goes nothing except for the first picture ofcourse :) this is not much of an update.
Altough it is always nice to here from the developer (s) idont see anything new in this "update".
Stil i'm not dissapointed nor do i want anybody to read that in this message.
On merrits i am still hoping to see other clouds than these and for now its looking to be a more beautiful il2 1946.
But ofcourse ill be buying ths game as son that is possible.
So a nice message this, but i cant call it an update.

cheers

Niels

Tte. Costa
01-28-2011, 05:50 PM
If she is 3D, the dev team could have gave her some tits instead of these mosquito bites ... It's just two more pllygones ;-)

MMmmm http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/tt207/Tino-Costa/Emoticones/afdn_180.gif

Tvrdi
01-28-2011, 05:50 PM
Hehe they look so happy....with reason....

ATAG_Dutch
01-28-2011, 05:55 PM
Im going to get flamed for sure,
Here goes nothing except for the first picture ofcourse :) this is not much of an update.

Well, old chap, the sim/game will be out in eight weeks, so why do any of us need an update as such?
I don't want anything more than we get now because I think it'd spoil the surprise when it does get released.
Just a few new shots each week to add to the slideshow is fine by me.

Mind you, a kind of 'this week we tuned this and here is a small example of it' would be good.

Mr Laidback of Sutton Weaver

mazex
01-28-2011, 05:57 PM
Ok Oleg, it's no use... You cast a pearl before us in the form of the best looking landscape of any shot i've seen from a flight simulator (the Blenheim shot) and the swine just say oink... :)

NLS61
01-28-2011, 05:58 PM
Well, old chap, the sim/game will be out in eight weeks, so why do any of us need an update as such?
I don't want anything more than we get now because I think it'd spoil the surprise when it does get released.
Just a few new shots each week to add to the slideshow is fine by me.

Mind you, a kind of 'this week we tuned this and here is a small example of it' would be good.

Mr Laidback of Sutton Weaver

Wasnt asking for an update actually but i would like it when they call a message a message nd an update an update lol

Necrobaron
01-28-2011, 05:58 PM
Looking great (and the screenshots look good too ;)). So I guess we should assume that the limegreen terrain is correct and here to stay?

Azazello
01-28-2011, 06:01 PM
Looking great (and the screenshots look good too ;)). So I guess we should assume that the limegreen terrain is correct and here to stay?

I can confirm that southern England is lime green.

That's why the Americans call us limeys.

(OK, it isn't).

Dano
01-28-2011, 06:02 PM
Seems as if they have not developed anti-aliasing.

There have been screens before that had AA enabled.

Jaws2002
01-28-2011, 06:02 PM
To those of you who are totally astonished about this Friday's update. Here's a little trick to help you out. . .

1. Go to Google.

Next time there is a person of the female persuation in a Friday update you don't have to totally embarrass yourselves due to the shock of seeing one.

Edit: Luthier! Is that some DX11 style tessellation I'm seeing in your jeans just below the belt line?

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y206/warrenpenalver/gaydar-test.jpg

Robert
01-28-2011, 06:04 PM
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e354/knightgames/rose1-1.jpg

The pleasure is mine. Удовольствие - рудники. Have a good day. B'bye. Хорошего дня. B'bye.

Thanks Oleg and crew. Finally the day is so close that we can taste it. As others mentioned the landscape out of the Blenheim cockpit looks stunning. Great work all around. Have a great week and see you next Friday.

JG52Uther
01-28-2011, 06:05 PM
Seems as if they have not developed anti-aliasing.
Wait for the videos.

ATAG_Dutch
01-28-2011, 06:09 PM

If you think that's lime green you've never owned a Kawasaki!:grin:

Landscape looks fine to me.
Colour perception is relative, so once you've flown around in midday sunshine for a while it'll look perfect.
I'm looking forward to seeing how the colour changes at different times of day, or on a long twilight mission.:)

longjap
01-28-2011, 06:12 PM
Hi Oleg team, been following this thread for ages without participating so i feel a little obligated to contribute. Thanks for serving our niche hunger for 2nd WW sims. Will buy, count me in. BUT;), it seems that many game developers still keep(for example) the atmospheric perspective out of their work. In a way you are painters, artists, you are creating worlds that before never existed or reenact them, revive them. I wonder if doing art-classes will do some improvements. No i'm not here to whine, just sharing mutual interests.

rookie_and_noggie
01-28-2011, 06:17 PM
>File Type: jpg DSCN0115-4.jpg

Oleg, check your six!!!!

Gromic
01-28-2011, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the update. Very appreciative as always. I can't wait to see just how complex CoD will be.

Pic 1. must be the surprise Oleg mentioned. Will she be in the collector's edition?

Cheers.

luthier
01-28-2011, 06:40 PM
Folks,

1. The beautiful girl in the picture is not a cheap marketing ploy. You've all seen her before in the Spitfire from Igromir. She's the girl you'll all be flying with.
PS. I'm the guy who hated the cheap love story tacked onto the 1969 film, but I love this particular angle of our sim. Trust me on this.

2. If you expect something new every week, you kind of maybe expect too much at this point. We're going to drown you in videos in the coming weeks. The development diaries Oleg introduced you to will absolutely flood you with info on every single aspect of the sim. They're just not ready today.

3. I still can't believe we're discussing tracers. I know it's our own fault for making them look like glowing sperm in the original and allowing you to get used to them. They're correct now. They're perfection. They're ideal. They'll never change. OK?

Coen020
01-28-2011, 06:45 PM
Glowing sperm, really who said that? lol

ehnnieway luther is this a troll or what? about the love thing.

cool about the videos though, cant wait WOOOOOOT!

NSU
01-28-2011, 06:45 PM
"We're going to drown you in videos in the coming weeks"
sounds good :)

kristorf
01-28-2011, 06:48 PM
Nice pictures!

There's more than one?????:rolleyes:

T}{OR
01-28-2011, 06:49 PM
Folks,

1. The beautiful girl in the picture is not a cheap marketing ploy. You've all seen her before in the Spitfire from Igromir. She's the girl you'll all be flying with.
PS. I'm the guy who hated the cheap love story tacked onto the 1969 film, but I love this particular angle of our sim. Trust me on this.

2. If you expect something new every week, you kind of maybe expect too much at this point. We're going to drown you in videos in the coming weeks. The development diaries Oleg introduced you to will absolutely flood you with info on every single aspect of the sim. They're just not ready today.

3. I still can't believe we're discussing tracers. I know it's our own fault for making them look like glowing sperm in the original and allowing you to get used to them. They're correct now. They're perfection. They're ideal. They'll never change. OK?

This just made my day. :)

Tempest123
01-28-2011, 06:49 PM
Folks,

Thanks! She is the ground controller voice? Looking forward to the video updates, sounds like it will be interesting.

JG52Uther
01-28-2011, 06:53 PM
This just made my day. :)
Made my week!

Jaws2002
01-28-2011, 06:54 PM
Folks,

I'd take on the whole luftwaffe with all their aces for her.:mrgreen:

2. Thank you. I'm not worried. I know the game will deliver.

I shot at night and day with tracers and i love them.
One question. Due to the type of powder burning in the tracer bullets, they burned in different colors. So far we only saw white tracers in the shots. Are we goiung to see different color tracers like in il-2, based on the composition of the powder burning?

Thank you for all the hard work gents. Cant wait for the day when I'll have to take on the whole Luftwaffe.:mrgreen:

ATAG_Dutch
01-28-2011, 06:55 PM
Hmmm... 'girl.....love....flood......tracers.......sperm.. ...perfection..'
It all sounds a bit too freudian for my sensibilities.

Looking forward to the vids though! :)

speculum jockey
01-28-2011, 07:00 PM
Folks,

I'm pretty sure most of the posters here are used to seeing sperm flying around long before IL-2. Most likely all over their Warhammer figurines and Anime posters, all the while their mom's banging on the door yelling, "What are you doing in there! Supper's ready!"

Azazello
01-28-2011, 07:01 PM
Folks,

So they're not death rays then? ;)

They just look weird in the shot - I never saw tracers like that (I fired machine guns, Karl Gustav etc).

Still, all done now so I guess I'll see how perfect they look when I get the sim.

Blackdog_kt
01-28-2011, 07:01 PM
Folks,

Hahahaha i just love this guy's tone, he can set things straight and yet maintain enough humor so that nobody gets upset :-P

Thanks for the continued updates, i'm totally looking forward to the upcoming videos discussing the in-depth features. From where i'm standing, it looks vastly better than IL2 and that's as good as it needs to, DX11 or not. It's what's under the hood that will affect the gameplay i mostly care about at this point, so i'm very happy to hear we will be getting some video presentations to cover that.

ATAG_Dutch
01-28-2011, 07:02 PM
I'm pretty sure most of the posters here are used to seeing sperm flying around long before IL-2. Most likely all over their Warhammer figurines and Anime posters, all the while their mom's banging on the door yelling, "What are you doing in there! Supper's ready!"

In my day it was Marina off Stingray actually. the poster that is.

LukeFF
01-28-2011, 07:08 PM
IL2: Jaggies Over Dover. Does anti-aliasing actually work in this game or do I need to wear a pair of ill-made eye glasses to blur out all the jaggies?

No, the game is going to look worse than Il2. 1C decided that AA is not essential to the game.

:rolleyes:

Mad G
01-28-2011, 07:11 PM
who is the girl?

You vultures!:-P

beazil
01-28-2011, 07:13 PM
I am sorry for saying this as I've been waiting just as long as any of you for this sim, and am very excited about it.

But oh my god that woman is stunning. Wow.

LukeFF
01-28-2011, 07:13 PM
Folks,

This post can't be quoted enough.

Redwan
01-28-2011, 07:15 PM
I'd take on the whole luftwaffe with all their aces for her.:mrgreen

Actually, any insurance wonldn't let you fly a spit unless you have at least 100 hours on T6 and some aerobatic experience :o

Personally I don't like the mix of a sim like BoB and a love story. I can understand that Luthier is under the charm of this unreachable creature but I would prefer not to see a love story overlapping with the gameplay (strong personal emotions can lead to bad marketing choices, bad marketing choices can lead to anger and anger can lead to ... ;-)). If one wants to see some nice 3D girls have a look at GTA4 but this kind of feature wouldn't fit a flight sim.

But maybe I'm wrong as I see all the enthousiastic reactions all around. I think that you guy's spend too much time on the web :grin: and today it's friday night so cut the machine and enjoy your sortie ;)

kendo65
01-28-2011, 07:19 PM

That's great. Thanks. We're at the stage where we need to be flooded with info. ;)

Some thoughts: still the same clouds and weather in all the pics. I'm theorising that there's a reason for that and that they're being kept under wraps for the release? One of the 'surprises'?

Also, I know that with everyone's interest in how the terrain is developing (looks pretty good in today's shot) that we've been getting lots of low-level screenies. I was really blown away by how the terrain looked from high altitude in some of the Igromir screen pics - damned near photographic (see attachment).

Any chance of some high(er) altitude action?

zodiac
01-28-2011, 07:33 PM
In the first picture with the hurricane and the FIATs, the FIATs really look ambushed.
They don't seem to notice the hurricane yet and haven't split up their formation. Good
to see we will be able to make surprise attacks now and don't have to fight AI gods anymore!

luthier
01-28-2011, 07:38 PM
In the first picture with the hurricane and the FIATs, the FIATs really look ambushed.
They don't seem to notice the hurricane yet and haven't split up their formation. Good
to see we will be able to make surprise attacks now and don't have to fight AI gods anymore!

Exactly, glad you guys noticed!

I've flown a few missions where I attacked an enemy formation from their six and shot down several planes in a row, with no one breaking off. Almost felt wrong, like this is a bug and I should run to the AI programmer and tell him, what the hell is wrong with you!

And then I would realize that this is perfect, that this is exactly how it was.

One of the very few cases when a developer is justifiably proud of his Artificial Intelligence being dumb!

PS. This all of course depends on AI skill level.

Novotny
01-28-2011, 07:41 PM
I hope it's a bit more complex than that Ilya - for instance, if AI = uber but Nov is wearing his lucky pants, I expect to pull off just about anything. Hope this is modelled.

Friendly_flyer
01-28-2011, 07:42 PM
EAnd then I would realize that this is perfect, that this is exactly how it was.

I've read quite a few accounts of situations just like that. I'm really looking forward to seeing how it all works out!

luthier
01-28-2011, 07:43 PM
I hope it's a bit more complex than that Ilya - for instance, if AI = uber but Nov is wearing his lucky pants, I expect to pull off just about anything. Hope this is modelled.

This is actually an absolutely awesome idea.

We should make this an easter egg in our Pilot Options, where you can dress up your little guy in all sorts of clothing. The game will randomly decide that "item x" is your lucky item. It will not tell you that. Whenever you fly without it, bad things will happen to your plane.

Novotny
01-28-2011, 07:46 PM
'My pants are porked!' etc

Luftwaffepilot
01-28-2011, 07:47 PM
@ Luthier,

your famous post also made my day, thx.

Can you tell what the max. needed amount of VRAM is when playing this game on 1920x1080? Is 1,5 GB far enough or already a bottleneck?

PilotError
01-28-2011, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the update.

The Blenheim pic is amazing. There must be a thousand trees in that shot, and you can see them right up to the horizon! :!::o:grin:

Looking good.

Flanker35M
01-28-2011, 08:00 PM
S!

Most of the kills were surprises. Just reading a book of a Finnish ace Eino Luukkanen. He dove in his Bf109G-2 and shot down 2 of 5 La-5's in a formation before they reacted to anything. La-5´s from 4th GIAP KBF led by Golybev based in Lavansaari.

I just hope the AI is not a super idiot either when on rookie level, that they just sit there and get shot like clay pigeons. A pilot seeing wingman being attacked sure makes SOME maneuvers not just sits and watches waiting for his turn :D

Anyways, sounds good that finally we have a more believeable AI :)

wildone_106
01-28-2011, 08:05 PM
Why do people have to nitpick/point out every little thing?

The cliffs aren't aliased will they be in the game?! Obviously they will be..
Hey I noticed one of the gauges appears static! Since everything else works in the cockpit I doubt they would ignor ONE of them..people need to seriously turn off the PC for a while and do something else till this game is out, and quit buggin Oleg with ridiculous comments & statements about tracers, trees & other useless things:!:

CharveL
01-28-2011, 08:17 PM
Really? You're sure she isn't an engineer? Designer? Director of a company?
I'm sure she loves reading what we write!

Jeez guys, so many sexist comments.

http://knowyourmeme.com/system/icons/554/original/facepalm.jpg?1248715065

NEWGUY
01-28-2011, 08:23 PM
My guess is that she is a flight instructor in COD. She looks smart, so I would say she could easily be an aeronautical engineer, but also a pilot.

RedToo
01-28-2011, 08:28 PM
She's the Su 26 pilot.

professor
01-28-2011, 08:28 PM
forget the game..The lady is just gorgeous

Is that old dude her father?

Necrobaron
01-28-2011, 08:44 PM
I'm the guy who hated the cheap love story tacked onto the 1969 film, but I love this particular angle of our sim. Trust me on this.

So there's a love story in the campaign? That's...interesting. I'd love to know more about CoD's campaign. Is it not dynamic?

If you think that's lime green you've never owned a Kawasaki!:grin:

Landscape looks fine to me.
Colour perception is relative, so once you've flown around in midday sunshine for a while it'll look perfect.
I'm looking forward to seeing how the colour changes at different times of day, or on a long twilight mission.:)

Guilty as charged. I've never owned a Kawasaki. ;)

Maybe it's just been my monitor then. In most all of the past updates, the bright green color has always seemed too exaggerated to my eye (I thought the same in IL-2 but assumed Russia has tropical green terrain) but I never said anything since I assumed color was still being fine-tuned and tweaked and it is a bit of a nitpick. However, now that we're getting ever closer to the release date and the color looks more or less the same, I figured I'd voice my piece-right or wrong.

furbs
01-28-2011, 08:49 PM
Alot of people think the same thing about the lime green fields...its the only thing i dont like.

Abbeville-Boy
01-28-2011, 08:57 PM
Alot of people think the same thing about the lime green fields...its the only thing i dont like.

are you sure of your monitor
settings

Chivas
01-28-2011, 09:11 PM
That's great. Thanks. We're at the stage where we need to be flooded with info. ;)

Some thoughts: still the same clouds and weather in all the pics. I'm theorising that there's a reason for that and that they're being kept under wraps for the release? One of the 'surprises'?

Also, I know that with everyone's interest in how the terrain is developing (looks pretty good in today's shot) that we've been getting lots of low-level screenies. I was really blown away by how the terrain looked from high altitude in some of the Igromir screen pics - damned near photographic (see attachment).

Any chance of some high(er) altitude action?

Olegs last comments on the new clouds a couple of weeks ago suggested they were experiencing bugs so they weren't sure they would make the initial release of the Cliffs of Dover.

Avimimus
01-28-2011, 09:12 PM
I think you're all crazy.

JG52Uther
01-28-2011, 09:35 PM

Of course,thats why we are here!

Richie
01-28-2011, 09:47 PM
I bet in the game that that hot girl is actually French or German, maybe some kind of spy or girlfriend.

QUOTE=Richie;196277]Ok.Do you want my story?...Of course you do.

Bob met Charlotte during the Battle of France. They fell madly in love. Sadly Bob had to return to England when the Germans took over France. For months some how they have kept in touch and in the thick of the Battle of Britain he has arranged to pick her up on the beach just out side of Calais so he can bring he back to England where they are to be married. Things seem to be going well at first......then................

Erich Rudorfer is flying back to JG 2 when he sees a Spitfire........ :)

To be continue spring of 2011[/QUOTE]

Watch at 1:18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCAHUxQgUfc

choctaw111
01-28-2011, 10:39 PM
Thank you for the great screenshots.
I am REALLY looking forward to seeing the movies.

Kikuchiyo
01-28-2011, 10:48 PM
I've never understood this communities hang up with grass color. I don't live in the U.K., but the colors look fine for me for a mid spring to mid summer coloring. Graphics on a PC have not yet reached the point of photo realism, but this looks damn fine to me compared to the flying I've done in real life. The shade differences in fields, the colors all seem close enough to me. Lime green? I don't see anything close to lime green in any of these photos. You should step outside and look around during spring and summer rather than just looking at photos of outside. The clouds have always been impressive to me. They don't look like the photos of real clouds in other games, but they are volumetric and close enough to the real thing that I have always been suitably impressed. I honestly believe some of you need to step outside once in a while and experience the great outdoors. This community is so insular I have a hard time reading anything other than Oleg and Ilya's posts.

Oleg and the 1c Maddox team thank you for all the hard work you have done to make this, what is most likely the most realistic flight sim (combat or otherwise,) of all time. We all appreciate your hard works, and look forward to the masterpiece you have painstakingly, and sacrificed so much for.

Bearcat
01-28-2011, 11:09 PM
Folks,

I never thought she was.... Gorgeous? Absolutely (obviously) but just there to sell... Not 1C's style never has been never will be.

Can't speak for anyone else .. but all I expect is CoD within the next 6-8 weeks. I have no doubt that it will be a quality product.. and that once it is released the same level of support that got my and most of these other bozos hooked on IL2 (in addition to the quality of the product) will continue.

They look realistic to me..........

speculum jockey
01-28-2011, 11:36 PM
Hmmm... 'girl.....love....flood......tracers.......sperm.. ...perfection..'
It all sounds a bit too freudian for my sensibilities.

Looking forward to the vids though! :)

forget the game..The lady is just gorgeous

Is that old dude her father?

Oh No! Sounds like some guys have some "tracer" stains to clean up!

Azimech
01-28-2011, 11:39 PM
http://knowyourmeme.com/system/icons/554/original/facepalm.jpg?1248715065

LOL!

Jean-Luc comes to save the topic :mrgreen:

I learned something today:

If you don't wanna use words, use a Starfleet captain.

proton45
01-28-2011, 11:50 PM
One thing that really impresses me in these up dates, is the sheer vastness of the visible distance, as seen in the landscape photos. I always felt that the true feeling of vast space was never properly simulated before. I guess that this will not be an issue anymore...

Thanks !!!

Old_Canuck
01-28-2011, 11:58 PM
Folks,

Ok.

Cloyd
01-29-2011, 12:00 AM
Too funny SJ, I was thinking the same myself.

1. Go to Google.

dflion
01-29-2011, 12:15 AM
Thanks Ilya for the group photo explanation, we will all be looking forward to flying with her.

The pics look great especially the 'ambush' scenario and thats what really did happen. The tracers also look perfect, trust me, I have seen the real thing many, many times.

Looking forward to your video releases, leading up to the main release, plus as much info as you can give us, especially on mission building.

I was very sad to here, then see pics of the Moscow airport bombing, sadly the whole world is prone to these cowardly attacks.

DFLion

Freycinet
01-29-2011, 01:03 AM
Luthier, I pre-ordered the Collector'S Edition from Amazon.de, but then cancelled my order because I got in doubt whether it was a German-language edition. Can you tell me whether you already now have different language editions, or whether the one on Amazon.de will be wholly in English, as I want?

http://www.amazon.de/2-Sturmovik-Cliffs-Dover-Collectors/dp/B004JM5C62

swiss
01-29-2011, 01:17 AM
Luthier, I pre-ordered the Collector'S Edition from Amazon.de, but then cancelled my order because I got in doubt whether it was a German-language edition. Can you tell me whether you already now have different language editions, or whether the one on Amazon.de will be wholly in English, as I want?

http://www.amazon.de/2-Sturmovik-Cliffs-Dover-Collectors/dp/B004JM5C62

luthier now works Amazon?

LukeFF
01-29-2011, 04:36 AM
You folks are clueless, CLUELESS, as to what is the norm in games development. Get a clue before you comment on how great these updates are that are not updates at all.

Yes, yes, Oleg is totally clueless as to how to post a development update. Someone send him the news, stat!

Foo'bar
01-29-2011, 07:12 AM
I've never understood this communities hang up with grass color. I don't live in the U.K., but the colors look fine for me for a mid spring to mid summer coloring. Graphics on a PC have not yet reached the point of photo realism, but this looks damn fine to me compared to the flying I've done in real life. The shade differences in fields, the colors all seem close enough to me. Lime green? I don't see anything close to lime green in any of these photos. You should step outside and look around during spring and summer rather than just looking at photos of outside. The clouds have always been impressive to me. They don't look like the photos of real clouds in other games, but they are volumetric and close enough to the real thing that I have always been suitably impressed. I honestly believe some of you need to step outside once in a while and experience the great outdoors. This community is so insular I have a hard time reading anything other than Oleg and Ilya's posts.

Oleg and the 1c Maddox team thank you for all the hard work you have done to make this, what is most likely the most realistic flight sim (combat or otherwise,) of all time. We all appreciate your hard works, and look forward to the masterpiece you have painstakingly, and sacrificed so much for.

Amen.

kimosabi
01-29-2011, 07:17 AM
Wow flaming. When are we back to talking about the brunette? I like brunettes.

ATAG_Bliss
01-29-2011, 07:38 AM
Just look at Tanner's previous posts. It appears Tanner is holding a grudge for some reason and for someone that joined this forum in 2008, you'd hope he'd have 1/2 a clue how Oleg does his updates. Guess not.

Anyhow, last time I checked IL2 was the most successful WWII sim ever created, if not the most successful combat sim ever made, and is still going strong 10 years in the running. Seems like Oleg's pretty clueless to me lol. I'd say that Oleg knows more about development than Tanner ever will. I guess some people just don't get it.

Anyhow, thanks for the update Oleg. We all can't wait to get our hands on this new title.

@Jaws - I'll be your wingman - 2 vs the entire Luftwaffe :D

Chivas
01-29-2011, 07:41 AM
There is no getting away from having a certain percentage of wacko's, in any community.

Necrobaron
01-29-2011, 08:36 AM

Not sure what to say. You do know what lime green looks like right? I'll concede that to say it's lime green is a bit of an exaggeration but it isn't far removed from it. The entire terrain palatte that I'm seeing is simply too light to my eye and almost has a yellow exposure to it. As I said before, maybe it's just my monitor but the notion that some of us don't know what the outdoors looks like is absurd.

Tvrdi
01-29-2011, 08:43 AM
now I must buy the f-in civilisation 3!

@KIMOSABI - unge, did u ever.....used ur sausage?

Crane
01-29-2011, 08:54 AM
Not sure what to say. You do know what lime green looks like right? I'll concede that to say it's lime green is a bit of an exaggeration but it isn't far removed from it. The entire terrain palatte that I'm seeing is simply too light to my eye and almost has a yellow exposure to it. As I said before, maybe it's just my monitor but the notion that some of us don't know what the outdoors looks like is absurd.

100% correct, the terrain is far too light for England, also the layout of English villages is way off. :grin:

Sven
01-29-2011, 09:01 AM
100% correct, the terrain is far too light for England, also the layout of English villages is way off. :grin:

I have to agree here as well, I've been a couple of times in England, but the ground colours look too Mediterranean the way I look at it, closer to Southern France than England, I seem to remember England as slightly darker green and more green overall.

Foo'bar
01-29-2011, 09:02 AM
I don't know much of england's vegetation in spring, but what for God's sake is so special there and different to other european countries? For me the colors look totally right for any ordinary middle european springtime country, if france, germany or anywhere else.

Please let me know why england's green should look different to other european greens? :rolleyes:

Sven
01-29-2011, 09:04 AM
I don't know much of england's vegetation in spring, but what for God's sake is so special there and different to other european countries? For me the colors look totally right for any ordinary middle european springtime country, if france, germany or anywhere else.

Please let me know why england's green should look different to other european greens? :rolleyes:

It's much drier in Spain/France and you'll see more lighter colours, not only because there is somewhat less vegatation, but also due to to dry ground, which makes the overall picture more lighter than England, it's not miles off, no no no, but I still hold my opinion that it looks to light overall, but I think ingame settings such as brightness will easily correct it!

Mr Darcy
01-29-2011, 09:09 AM
Colours look fine to me for English fields in bright sunlight.

Kikuchiyo
01-29-2011, 09:16 AM
Lime green is a very bright brilliant green. Look at a lime. It's a very particular almost neon color. look at grass it is a very dark or yellowish color, and I mean look at a real lime not a picture of a lime. It is a very peculiar green, nothing like any of the colors I see in the pallete in the colors of any screen shots of Storm of War's/Ciffs of Dover's screen shots.

Insuber
01-29-2011, 09:29 AM
As I see it, and thinking to the "features that didn't make it to the release", I'm afraid it will take another year or two to get a product close to the developers' original plans, much like ROF - and the color of grass will be in perspective a very minor issue. I will nevertheless support this strategy by purchasing whatever Ilya and Oleg will market, despite the probable frustrations. ROF was a nice product anyway, even in the early stages...

Cheers,
6S.Insuber

Coen020
01-29-2011, 09:34 AM
Different landscape colours

1st: Enland, near London

2nd: France (probably North)

Feathered_IV
01-29-2011, 09:36 AM
One jagged screenshot here is worth more to me than a show and tell from six titles I couldn't give a rats arse about.

Tacoma74
01-29-2011, 09:38 AM
Jeez... I'm getting so tired of hearing the same crap every week, and having to dig through pages of useless information. The pessimism here is substantial, and quite frankly it annoys me. Constructive discussion is a thing of the past. It seems to me that few actually appreciate what Oleg has been doing for the past 5 years with this. The game is in its final stage before release, so stop going on and on with these same topics of clouds and landscape and other nonsense. Your beating a dead horse, we've all heard it a million times before. It may seem a big issue to some of you, but really it's not. It's a game, it's not reality. Besides, everything as of now is final. Nothing will be changed at your will, so get over yourselves. And besides, none of you (I don't care who you are) have seen the final product, so making assumptions about how bad it's going to be is pointless... I have nothing but faith in this sim! The whole developer team deserves our respect. It's no wonder why Luthier got a little irritable earlier, and why Oleg doesn't stick around to answer questions after posting updates anymore. I'm sure they are sick of dealing with people that are unpleasable.

I used to enjoy Friday updates, but now i could care less... the whining surely takes the excitement out of seeing them. Everyone should be happy!!! I mean c'mon, this is going to kill every other flight sim out there... and it's going to be on our systems in less than 2 months. Be patient and don't let the anticipation get to you!!

As for me.. well I'm just going to do other things for awhile. I'm just going to walk away. You guys drive me insane. Seriously. I'll see you in the skys in a couple months. Peace!

Kikuchiyo
01-29-2011, 09:39 AM

Good job picking photos for late afternoon early evening, and for ignoring the fact that photos are a poor comparison for the eye's ability to view color. I've said it several times in just the 2 posts I've made go outside and look around. Photos do no justice to color of the real world, and look around at various times of the day. Colors are darker when the sun is low, and brighter when it is high.

At any rate I know most of you will never be appeased by anything, and that is sorrowful. Enjoy the sim, and know that it will never be the same as real life for a multitude of reasons. It will be the best possible product with the technological limitations of today.

Okay I see what you meant. Thank you for the clarification Coen I wasn't going to argue the point much further.

Coen020
01-29-2011, 09:49 AM
Good job picking photos for late afternoon early evening, and for ignoring the fact that photos are a poor comparison for the eye's ability to view color. I've said it several times in just the 2 posts I've made go outside and look around. Photos do no justice to color of the real world, and look around at various times of the day. Colors are darker when the sun is low, and brighter when it is high.

you dont get my point, i actually think the england shot is pretty similar to the hurricane screen.

the french landscape color only differs slight, but that is because its a afternoon shot, like you said. And let me sniff up the Bf110 shot that lurks around here for the afternoon shot.

now compare this one to the French afternoon shot. its almost the same if you look a bit in the distance of the bf110 shot.
(EDIT: it seems more likely that they are both in morning, so yeah.)

http://assets.vg247.com/current//2011/01/IL2COD_S_002.jpg

philip.ed
01-29-2011, 09:53 AM
As much as I agree with regards to the comments on the colours not being final or down to monitor colour, the colours do look too green to me.
One has to remember that the BoB had a very hot summer, so the green colour will verge more on brown. The picture from LIFE magazine (of the spitfire) demonstrates this well.
Either way, I'm sure the team has got the point by now, so let's just wait for the release. Then we can truly comment.
But definately, I think England should have a burnished look. Maybe in the future such features could be incorporated into the weather model? Who knows ;)
Nice update, and thanks, Oleg, Luhier and co, for doing a sterling job in keeping us updated.

Coen020
01-29-2011, 10:00 AM
surely, if it's to much lime for most, nothing a patch wont fix? or atleast a mod or something from some of the talented people lurking between us?

sorry, 'Lurking' is my word for today.

Freycinet
01-29-2011, 10:04 AM
Oh, yes, we need better updates, just like today's from the Microsoft Flight team. Their first update since December 10 by the way:

http://www.microsoft.com/games/flight/

"January 28, 2011 − Play online or offline, the choice is yours.

Greetings to all Flight fans! We would like to welcome you to our January “News from the Team” addition. First off, we hope you like the screen shots. We are happy to be able to share with you another check point in the development process. We are all working hard to bring you a truly exciting experience.

We continue to receive and enjoy all your emails and comments via the Tell Microsoft Flight email alias. Although we cannot reply to each and every one, we do read these and appreciate the comments and suggestions.

One topic that has been voiced is the concern over online game play. We understand some people are worried that featuring Microsoft Flight on Games for Windows – LIVE will require you to always be connected online to play. Not true. Rest assured that you can play offline if you choose. We hope that you will find the connected experience to be more enjoyable and immersive. But to be clear, the choice will be all yours.

Thank you again for following our progress as we pass another waypoint.

The Microsoft Flight Development Team"

Or, as Oleg would have said it:

"You can fly offline, online".

- Then we also get four screenies of about one-tenth the size of Oleg's. Or, well, we get four images of some sort. WE don't really know if they are screenies or whether they are photoshopped or whether they are rendered during half an hour of bit-crunching. As opposed to being told that they are done on an old crappy machine as Luthier tells us about the Il-2:CoD screenies.

And then there is no more interaction with the MS Flight development team at all. We don't even know their names. No forum, no threads, no postings, no replies of any kind anywhere. As opposed to Oleg and Ilya who masochistically dredge their way through endless pages of mindnumbing drivel and interact in a constantly friendly manner.

That won't go on of course, given the total take-over of the 1C update threads by idiots. But it was really nice for as long as it lasted.

Voilà the difference between "real" updates and the usual stuff other developers feed their fans.

kimosabi
01-29-2011, 10:36 AM
@KIMOSABI - unge, did u ever.....used ur sausage?

Aaaww how sweet, Tvrdi is still disappointed after I told him to stay off my PM in the RoF forums. LOL

Sutts
01-29-2011, 10:49 AM
Oleg has spoken of a future map editor to allow players to create small maps. Does anyone know if he's ever mentioned being able to modify the stock maps at all?

Something like that would be very powerful...just imagine what could be done if the community worked together on the UK map with separate teams with local knowledge taking on specific areas of interest. Obviously there would have to be rules and strict guidelines on object density. The same goes for airfields. There are plenty of folks with a deep knowledge of specific airfields who could create ultra historical airfield layouts, something I doubt the development team have much time for in the big scheme of things.

I'm looking forward to later releases when the bomber airfields of East Anglia get some attention. I have some favourites that I've walked around many times. I like to stand on the crumbling peri tracks and try to picture the scene with 30 4 engined heavies, engines running and waiting for take off and the frenetic activity all around. This is the kind of thing that really excites me about CoD...being able to recreate all that history and see it come alive on the screen. A link to the past.

ECV56_Lancelot
01-29-2011, 11:04 AM

Amen.

+2

Deadstick
01-29-2011, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the update!:grin:

winny
01-29-2011, 12:47 PM
Nothing in that Hurricane shot is the right colour. Not the roundels, or the paint scheme or the grass or the gun covers. Why's nobody complaining about the Aircraft? I've never seen a hurricane that washed out.

But,
I've said it before, it's an overall Saturation/Contrast thing not just the terrain.
It's a purley artistic call too. All the screen shots tell me is that it's not finished yet.

jcenzano
01-29-2011, 01:09 PM

and what makes you thing those are the real colors??

Colors in pictures depend on several things such as exposure, lense type and fliters used, film/sensor used, and so on...

So just one picture is not relevant at all. Download 50 different pisc and you will see 50 different tones... none of them yet to be true.

Plus your monitor calibration...

Foo'bar
01-29-2011, 01:25 PM
and what makes you thing those are the real colors??

Colors in pictures depend on several things such as exposure, lense type and fliters used, film/sensor used, and so on...

So just one picture is not relevant at all. Download 50 different pisc and you will see 50 different tones... none of them yet to be true.

Plus your monitor calibration...

Right. We don't even know at witch season the pictures were taken. For me some of the brownish fields look like late summer when it is clear to have darker green tones.

Trumper
01-29-2011, 01:25 PM
:) I find it rather ironic that the people arguing on here about the colours in England aren't even living in England LOL.

Foo'bar
01-29-2011, 01:27 PM
:) I find it rather ironic that the people arguing on here about the colours in England aren't even living in England LOL.

Well even some english arguing on here about the colours of the Messerschmitts ;) I don't have to live on that island to know that the colours there aren't something special or unique.

SlipBall
01-29-2011, 01:46 PM
Folks,

Well OK, as long as she doesn't announce "I'll drive"

Kittle
01-29-2011, 01:48 PM
Great update folks, keep up the outstanding work! And yes, seeing a women in a flight sim forum is compareable to seeing the abomitable snowman in Bermuda, so the shock and awe factor has to be figured in here ;)

kalimba
01-29-2011, 01:49 PM
As I see it, and thinking to the "features that didn't make it to the release", I'm afraid it will take another year or two to get a product close to the developers' original plans, much like ROF - and the color of grass will be in perspective a very minor issue. I will nevertheless support this strategy by purchasing whatever Ilya and Oleg will market, despite the probable frustrations. ROF was a nice product anyway, even in the early stages...

Cheers,
6S.Insuber

I think that what Oleg meant by "features that will not make it to the release", are features that we dont even know about, or have not even be shown as WIP...
Oleg would release CoD with poor terrain and clouds ? With wrong colors and textures ? Not as good or better than BoP in these matters ? :confused:
The whole sim community around the world is waiting for this game to come out, and expectations are so high, that every little flaw will be criticized, scrutinized and put in the "faillure folder" till everyone only talks about what is NOT in the game....Oleg knows all that...Don't worry...He's been reading every comment on this forum from the very start...:rolleyes:

Salute !

Crane
01-29-2011, 02:06 PM
I think that what Oleg meant by "features that will not make it to the release", are features that we dont even know about, or have not even be shown as WIP...
Oleg would release CoD with poor terrain and clouds ? With wrong colors and textures ? Not as good or better than BoP in these matters ? :confused:
The whole sim community around the world is waiting for this game to come out, and expectations are so high, that every little flaw will be criticized, scrutinized and put in the "faillure folder" till everyone only talks about what is NOT in the game....Oleg knows all that...Don't worry...He's been reading every comment on this forum from the very start...:rolleyes:

Salute !

Well luthier is being very cautious about what features have been left out, but my guess is it will be all those extra special things that Oleg first got us excited about in early interviews. The dropped features maybe the hidden surprise that we have all been expecting, a surprise isnt always a good thing :grin:

My guess is that the following will be missing.

DX11- Oleg 100% confirmed this would be in the game but it failed to make the final cut.

Manned AA guns - been no mention of this since early interviews and no screenshots showing any manual use of an AA gun.

Dynamic weather - again this as dropped off the radar and veiled in secrecy which means its most likely not going to make initial release

Clouds - Again another mystery

Sounds - Nobody has got a clue as to what the aircraft sounds will be like.

kalimba
01-29-2011, 02:19 PM
Well luthier is being very cautious about what features have been left out, but my guess is it will be all those extra special things that Oleg first got us excited about in early interviews. The dropped features maybe the hidden surprise that we have all been expecting, a surprise isnt always a good thing :grin:

My guess is that the following will be missing.

DX11- Oleg 100% confirmed this would be in the game but it failed to make the final cut.

Manned AA guns - been no mention of this since early interviews and no screenshots showing any manual use of an AA gun.

Dynamic weather - again this as dropped off the radar and veiled in secrecy which means its most likely not going to make initial release

Clouds - Again another mystery

Sounds - Nobody has got a clue as to what the aircraft sounds will be like.

Interesting debate indeed !

1-DX11- Oleg 100% confirmed this would be in the game but it failed to make the final cut.

Well, knowing how cautious Oleg is, if he confirmed, so will be...

2-Manned AA guns - been no mention of this since early interviews and no screenshots showing any manual use of an AA gun.

On this one, I agree...Wont be at release...

3-Dynamic weather - again this as dropped off the radar and veiled in secrecy which means its most likely not going to make initial release

I think this is a main feature that Oleg has been working on since the very begining ...Was even shown on an early promo video.....IMHO, will be at release....

4-Clouds - Again another mystery

Same as # 3:I think this is a main feature that Oleg has been working on since the very begining ...Was even shown on an early promo video.....IMHO, will be at release....

Of course, this is for fun and only speculating ! ;)

Salute !

David198502
01-29-2011, 02:36 PM
One jagged screenshot here is worth more to me than a show and tell from six titles I couldn't give a rats arse about.

i couldnt say it better!!

Meusli
01-29-2011, 02:53 PM
Well even some english arguing on here about the colours of the Messerschmitts ;) I don't have to live on that island to know that the colours there aren't something special or unique.

I am colour blind green and red so imagine how I feel about the daft arguments concerning colour. As long as they are not purple.

Aquarius
01-29-2011, 03:01 PM

I've flown a few missions where I attacked an enemy formation from their six and shot down several planes in a row, with no one breaking off. Almost felt wrong, like this is a bug and I should run to the AI programmer and tell him, what the hell is wrong with you!

One of the very few cases when a developer is justifiably proud of his Artificial Intelligence being dumb!

Very nice to hear that!...I always like those moments of suprise in books with dogfight...expect, that allied AI will have the same features:))...hope, that i can be looking forward to experience that freezing moment, when I look behind me and find out that half of my flight is in flames!

Defender
01-29-2011, 03:16 PM
Looking forward to everything....

whatnot
01-29-2011, 03:31 PM

Can you elaborate how AI is detecting bogies? Is it using some FOV scanning routine.. meaning does AI actually have a direction they're looking into based on which they detect only the planes in that cone of sight? Or is it just some function related to proximity etc?

Also will they be making manouvres when flying formation on higher skill levels to scan their six every now and then?

The ground shot is just beautiful in my eyes! My first days of CoD will be just sightseeing high and low, getting the a feel of the new flight dynamics and our new sandbox!
OMG! I can't believe we're this close.. getting a delay beyond March at this stage would probably mean news articles about spontanious simultanious suicides around the globe. ;-)

Trumper
01-29-2011, 03:45 PM
Aircraft have a colour that can be matched,paint colour numbers etc,but the argument you make doesn't make sense.
We did have more 109's flying over here a few years ago than you had in Germany.
So by your logic the English countryside is no different to parts of Germany.I can't and wouldn't comment on that as i have never been there.
As i live in the UK i do feel that we would recognise when something doesn't quite feel like home.
Don't forget the UK is a small varied island in a short [mileage wise] distance you can go from the Downs,>Estuary's,,>flat Fen land and mountainous areas but the BoB was fought over quite a small scale area.
That needs to be made to feel and look correct.:)
It's NOT Spain,Holland ,Germany or France it's England.

heywooood
01-29-2011, 03:49 PM
this is fun - I have missed the hilarity of weekly update threads more than I had thought.

tracer whine - AA whine - Limey whine - is that all you've got whine - who's the girl whine -

Ilya - please cancel the project...too much whine
..but please keep posting 'glowing sperm tracer' rebuttals - ow my sides from laughing

Foo'bar
01-29-2011, 03:53 PM
Aircraft have a colour that can be matched,paint colour numbers etc,but the argument you make doesn't make sense.
We did have more 109's flying over here a few years ago than you had in Germany.
So by your logic the English countryside is no different to parts of Germany.I can't and wouldn't comment on that as i have never been there.
As i live in the UK i do feel that we would recognise when something doesn't quite feel like home.
Don't forget the UK is a small varied island in a short [mileage wise] distance you can go from the Downs,>Estuary's,,>flat Fen land and mountainous areas but the BoB was fought over quite a small scale area.
That needs to be made to feel and look correct.:)
It's NOT Spain,Holland ,Germany or France it's England.

Believe me or not, the green in england in spring is the same ordinary green as in northern Germany in spring. In april the green is brighter and fresher, in october it is darker and more greyish. I never recognized any difference when I went to Ipswich either in april or october. And I went a couple of times.

nearmiss
01-29-2011, 04:11 PM
I just deleted over 12 postings in response to a negative blasting by Tanner.

Please report postings such as his. Mods are interested to keep a positive tone and dialogue in the update threads, in order to have sensible discussions with developer.

COD is close to release and we should have cranks and troublemakers seeking attention. They will post some pretty lousy stuff.

Just report them and we will deal with them.

Skarphol
01-29-2011, 04:26 PM
One thing I haven't noticed before:

See how the fabric of the aileron is hanging in the wind?
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y1/Skarphol/Aileron.jpg
Cool!

Wonder how that looks after the plane has landed..

Skarphol

Trumper
01-29-2011, 05:35 PM
:) Hi Foobar, i guess we will see when it is out,the proof will be in the pudding.:)
Generally it is quite a lush green over here ,lots of moisture .We do have dry spells where the grass can go brown after a few weeks without rain but that isn't too normal.
I started looking for the weather forecasts during the BoB and came across this fascinating web site,unfortunately i have to go to work so won't have time to read it but looks brilliant.
http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/63129-the-battle-of-britain-weather-diary/ hope others like it.:)
I guess the discussion over colours is all down to individual beliefs ,my comments were made because of the irony of the arguments being made by people who don't live here LOL. :)

Insuber
01-29-2011, 05:36 PM

Salute !

Kalimba - to be more clear and direct, I expect a strategy "à la ROF". I hope to be wrong, but I'm afraid we will get a product not entirely finished nor entirely debugged. No problem: as I said some time ago here, I prefer a premature issue, and then corrections done and paid with the help of the community, than another year of wait.

Cheers,
6S.Insuber

TheGrunch
01-29-2011, 05:50 PM
- Then we also get four screenies of about one-tenth the size of Oleg's. Or, well, we get four images of some sort. WE don't really know if they are screenies or whether they are photoshopped or whether they are rendered during half an hour of bit-crunching. As opposed to being told that they are done on an old crappy machine as Luthier tells us about the Il-2:CoD screenies.
Plus, you also have to have Microsoft Silverlight (i.e., lame Flash knock-off made obsolete by HTML5) installed to even view the update. Voila, there's one person (me) who immediately can't be bothered with said update at all. :rolleyes:

Rot Bourratif
01-29-2011, 05:57 PM
Is it just me?

Everytime there's a cockpit view, I try to look around using the mouse...
I am so looking forward to this game!

And for all the effort put in so far: Spassiba bolchoi.

Richie
01-29-2011, 06:01 PM
I think all the people over in simhq should register over here. They complain about things and say this and that is wrong but some of them don't have a clue what's really going on and you have to copy stuff from here and paste over there. I guess they can read this stuff but they can't see the pictures. The pictures are never the less always posted over there but still they seem to have no knowledge of where to look for all of the facts. I mean they should stay registered over in simhq but if they want as much info as possible on this series it just makes common senses to be registered over here too right?

Matt255
01-29-2011, 06:05 PM
Is it just me?

Everytime there's a cockpit view, I try to look around using the mouse
Since i use Freetrack, i can find myself turning my head to look around when watching some videos or screenshots.:)

ECV56_Lancelot
01-29-2011, 06:05 PM
Kalimba - to be more clear and direct, I expect a strategy "à la ROF". I hope to be wrong, but I'm afraid we will get a product not entirely finished nor entirely debugged. No problem: as I said some time ago here, I prefer a premature issue, and then corrections done and paid with the help of the community, than another year of wait.

Cheers,
6S.Insuber

Even if is all speculation. i hope you are wrong. Buggy games, being simulator or any other kind of game, are a complete invitation to failure. I hate bugged sims released early, they do more damage than good, and makes more people to go away from that sim that to bring new people. Most casual simmers that buy a buggy sim, will discard it shortly after playing with it a little while and never look back to the sim, doesn't motter of patches and addon released afterward. And at the same time you will have a lot of mouth to mouth bad reviews that will decrease sells.
I agree on supporting simulator developers, but i dont agree on supporting bad quality products, simulator or not. And i'm not talking about not having dx11, or bigger maps, or better textures, i'm only talking about plain simple software bugs that totaly kill immersion, and in many cases playability of the sim.
Because of bugs, being myself a hardcore freak for flight simulators, on its moment i run away from my beloved Falcon4, and returning to play it again when F4:AF came out and i knew that finally F4 was stable and worked really well on multiplayer. I was so tired of F4 multiplayer inestabilty that i replaced it completely for the original IL-2, that worked like a charm the moment it came out.

So resumming, i dont care if they left things for being added later (ground crew, dx11, especial effects, more sounds, an so on), but i do care that the product comes out as debugged as possible, and if it require six months or more of polishing and debugging, so be it, but release a quality well finnished product. Otherwise it will make more damage than good to the genre.

kalimba
01-29-2011, 06:49 PM
Even if is all speculation. i hope you are wrong. Buggy games, being simulator or any other kind of game, are a complete invitation to failure. I hate bugged sims released early, they do more damage than good, and makes more people to go away from that sim that to bring new people. Most casual simmers that buy a buggy sim, will discard it shortly after playing with it a little while and never look back to the sim, doesn't motter of patches and addon released afterward. And at the same time you will have a lot of mouth to mouth bad reviews that will decrease sells.
I agree on supporting simulator developers, but i dont agree on supporting bad quality products, simulator or not. And i'm not talking about not having dx11, or bigger maps, or better textures, i'm only talking about plain simple software bugs that totaly kill immersion, and in many cases playability of the sim.
Because of bugs, being myself a hardcore freak for flight simulators, on its moment i run away from my beloved Falcon4, and returning to play it again when F4:AF came out and i knew that finally F4 was stable and worked really well on multiplayer. I was so tired of F4 multiplayer inestabilty that i replaced it completely for the original IL-2, that worked like a charm the moment it came out.

So resumming, i dont care if they left things for being added later (ground crew, dx11, especial effects, more sounds, an so on), but i do care that the product comes out as debugged as possible, and if it require six months or more of polishing and debugging, so be it, but release a quality well finnished product. Otherwise it will make more damage than good to the genre.

Well, how many times was CoD's release date pushed back 6 months ? ;)
We've been there..Now its time to deliver...It is Oleg's game after all..It will be complete, debugged and photorealistic in every important aspect.
That is why it took 6 years to make...:grin:

Salute !

Foo'bar
01-29-2011, 07:59 PM
:) Hi Foobar, i guess we will see when it is out,the proof will be in the pudding.:)
Generally it is quite a lush green over here ,lots of moisture .We do have dry spells where the grass can go brown after a few weeks without rain but that isn't too normal.
I started looking for the weather forecasts during the BoB and came across this fascinating web site,unfortunately i have to go to work so won't have time to read it but looks brilliant.
http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/63129-the-battle-of-britain-weather-diary/ hope others like it.:)
I guess the discussion over colours is all down to individual beliefs ,my comments were made because of the irony of the arguments being made by people who don't live here LOL. :)

Peace, mate :)

major_setback
01-29-2011, 08:19 PM
I personally think the greens we saw in this weeks update are the best so far. They have been toned down. I don't mind a bit more saturation myself actually.

I think the shade of green has been wrong in the past though, and people are confusing the issue. Too strong a colour when it is the wrong colour looks awful.
The shade has improved a bit this week though, and less saturation helps.

I think it will gradually be improved though...the video shows pefectly acceptable colours to me.

Sun actually makes greens look bright ...take a look out of the window in a month or two and you will be shocked!

http://www.planetware.com/i/photo/green-fields-of-sulov-lowlands-sl125.jpg

Those photos posted showing darker greens are underexposed (dark), wrong season, and look incorrect.

I agree that some of the textures have wildly bright greens of the wrong shade when seen close up.

...Perfection might take a week or so longer than we can wait.

major_setback
01-29-2011, 08:27 PM

We all think you're crazy!!
:-)

Friendly_flyer
01-29-2011, 08:45 PM
Regarding "the green":

I am a biologist by trade, and have been involved in making an educational film covering a whole year. Here in Norway, where the seasonal changes are quite distinct, the tone of colour, particularly for open grassland and fields, will change enormously throughout the season, not to mention what difference sunlight and moisture will do on a shorter time-scale. Colours can be almost painfully vibrant in the spring, turning duller as the year progress.

Also, not two years are the same. The little educational film I mentioned was shot over two years. The first year was cold and a bit rainy with a late spring. The meadow featuring in the film took forever to bloom, and was nicely green well into the autumn. The next year was hot and dry with an early spring, and the meadow turned brownish already in early June, to the directors great frustration. To shoot bits we had bugged up the year before, we would wait for the occasional rain and head out the day after to take advantage of the short lived resurgence of green that it produced. Needless to say, colour-balancing the film afterwards was a nightmare.

Richie
01-29-2011, 09:56 PM
Last summer where I live was very wet compared to what it's usually like and the landscape was much greener.

Gomer Pyle
01-29-2011, 10:34 PM
Maybe the grass should just be left as is, seeing that there are so many variables. It will either never be the right color/hue or it will be just one plausible rendition out of many - It'll just have to be up to the eyes looking. After reading about Petters film project, I for one am ready to put this grass in my pipe and smoke it.

/Daniel

major_setback
01-29-2011, 11:15 PM
Green:

http://bilder.alltinggratis.se/bilder/692.jpeg

http://bilder.alltinggratis.se/bilder/1068.jpeg

http://bilder.alltinggratis.se/bilder/333.jpeg

Pictures are from this free site:

http://bilder.alltinggratis.se/

Skoshi Tiger
01-30-2011, 02:31 AM
Green:

http://bilder.alltinggratis.se/bilder/692.jpeg

http://bilder.alltinggratis.se/bilder/1068.jpeg

http://bilder.alltinggratis.se/bilder/333.jpeg

Pictures are from this free site:

http://bilder.alltinggratis.se/

What! Oleg hasn't modelled the dew drops sparkling in the morning sunlight!

I'm giving up and playing solitare instead!

;)

tagTaken2
01-30-2011, 03:06 AM
This is actually an absolutely awesome idea.

We should make this an easter egg in our Pilot Options, where you can dress up your little guy in all sorts of clothing. The game will randomly decide that "item x" is your lucky item. It will not tell you that. Whenever you fly without it, bad things will happen to your plane.

Forget dressing the guy, will there be outfits for the girl?

Not sure why we're focusing on the colour of England...

onlyforbrian
01-30-2011, 05:34 AM
What happened to the mustache Oleg? As for the girl...I've been to Moscow many times, my wife is Russian in Moscow...ALL Moscow women look like this...beautiful!!

Trumper
01-30-2011, 11:00 AM
Peace, mate :)

:) Agreed Peace and best wishes :)

philip.ed
01-30-2011, 12:26 PM
Discussing wetness is pointless at this stage. The landscape of England in CoD should represent how it would have looked in 1940. In other wrods, burnished, dry, and extremely hot.
I'm sure monitor tweaking could have an effect, but why should most users have to do that? Why can't the product be shipped out as perfect as possible? Clearly many UK residents, like myself, view these shots as anything but Blighty. I look forward to seeing what it's like on release, but ATM I agree completely with Trumper. ;)
Just my two pence, and I'm not wishing to start an argument with anyone who thinks differently. You won't convince me to your side of thinking, so preserve your itching typing fingers for someone else ;)

Caveman
01-30-2011, 01:04 PM
Discussing wetness is pointless at this stage. The landscape of England in CoD should represent how it would have looked in 1940. In other wrods, burnished, dry, and extremely hot.
I'm sure monitor tweaking could have an effect, but why should most users have to do that? Why can't the product be shipped out as perfect as possible? Clearly many UK residents, like myself, view these shots as anything but Blighty. I look forward to seeing what it's like on release, but ATM I agree completely with Trumper. ;)
Just my two pence, and I'm not wishing to start an argument with anyone who thinks differently. You won't convince me to your side of thinking, so preserve your itching typing fingers for someone else ;)

If you want it as real as possible, then a user MUST tweak their monitor. This is because you have to have a baseline definition of what "real colors" are. It makes sense for the developer to use that standard as a starting point. Then, all others conform to that standard. It has to be done that way when you think about it...

There is a vast difference in color perception depending on what monitor is being used. To get them in the same ballpark, you have to calibrate... laws of physics here can't be defeated any other way.

Igo kyu
01-30-2011, 01:18 PM
If you want it as real as possible, then a user MUST tweak their monitor. This is because you have to have a baseline definition of what "real colors" are. It makes sense for the developer to use that standard as a starting point. Then, all others conform to that standard. It has to be done that way when you think about it...

There is a vast difference in color perception depending on what monitor is being used. To get them in the same ballpark, you have to calibrate... laws of physics here can't be defeated any other way.
Sure, with a new monitor. However, once a monitor is adjusted to suit one image, that should be right for all images, unless the first image was badly out of adjustment itself, in which case everything else will look odd and further adjustment may be necessary. If each game that came out required that every player's monitor was adjusted to it, and a player's monitor had to be adjusted every time they played a different game, that would be a nightmare, it would make playing games so difficult we might as well buy consoles.

philip.ed
01-30-2011, 01:49 PM
Sure, with a new monitor. However, once a monitor is adjusted to suit one image, that should be right for all images, unless the first image was badly out of adjustment itself, in which case everything else will look odd and further adjustment may be necessary. If each game that came out required that every player's monitor was adjusted to it, and a player's monitor had to be adjusted every time they played a different game, that would be a nightmare, it would make playing games so difficult we might as well buy consoles.

I completely agree with you Igo. I think you hit the nail on the head ;)
I think we can only wait for release :D

julien673
01-30-2011, 03:45 PM
CoD its a sim about what.... oohhh aviation,,,, so if you love talking about how the vegetable must look like more green limey or somethink else... start your frustration post elsewhere.... busy my time to find interesting post along all this nonsence post. Get a life...

brando
01-30-2011, 03:50 PM
My monitor comes with 4 pre-set modes as well as a manual option. After the manual settings have been adjusted it is possible to Save the setting as a named mode.
Changing the monitor settings between modes takes less than a minute to do, it ain't difficult.

Richie
01-30-2011, 03:51 PM
Did you guys know that the grass is going to move :)

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3192851/New_interview_with_Oleg.html#Post3192851

fireflyerz
01-30-2011, 04:29 PM
LOL :grin:

Richie
01-30-2011, 04:49 PM
Hey when I fire up my 109 and the grass shivers behind me that will look cool.

philip.ed
01-30-2011, 05:23 PM
CoD its a sim about what.... oohhh aviation,,,, so if you love talking about how the vegetable must look like more green limey or somethink else... start your frustration post elsewhere.... busy my time to find interesting post along all this nonsence post. Get a life...

Sorry Julien, I forgot this was your forum.
Honestly, this is a simulator. It's meant to be as realistic as possible. It's not as if we're asking for certain vegetable fields in certain areas.

carl
01-30-2011, 05:27 PM
what with hecke and phillip, i think i may go smoke some grass as it is the only way i will be able to make sense of where this thread has gone.:rolleyes:

HenFre
01-30-2011, 06:02 PM
Thanks for the update Oleg and Luthier.. Love the colour of the green grass :grin:

julien673
01-30-2011, 06:04 PM
what with hecke and phillip, i think i may go smoke some grass as it is the only way i will be able to make sense of where this thread has gone.:rolleyes:

+1

BadAim
01-30-2011, 06:40 PM
Is it that they're letting the patients in the Insane asylums use the internet, or are they just letting them out? And why do they all come here?

SlipBall
01-30-2011, 07:01 PM
Pick a green

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f394/SlipBall/ScreenHunter_01Jan301455.jpg

jameson
01-30-2011, 07:10 PM
Perhaps Ilya will do a version with pink grass for those of you who don't think the colour is important. The same people also seem to think it was sunny from March to December in 1940, with temps around 95 degrees F. Clueless.

Caveman
01-30-2011, 07:22 PM

I think you may not understand. When you calibrate something it'sa one time shot. If Maddox uses a calibrated monitor to balance colors and another developer of another game does not, you can't expect the other game to look right... You will not get all games to look good if they are not all calibrated during development.

philip.ed
01-30-2011, 07:29 PM
Sorry, but over the past few months I have rarely posted and rarely 'complained'. However, being a UK resident, the shots did scream oout to me this week. Lastweek, at a higher altitude, the landscape looked wonderful. However, usually the positive posts I make are missed and people only post adversely on the comments I make which go against their fanboy nature.
I am in no doubt that the release will clarify things, so I am happy to wait.
The colour will not impact on my gameplay experience in anyway, but as Oleg said at SimHQ, and other marketing members here have pointed out, it is generally best for members to be 100% honest, as construtive feedback is useful to the team. I think Oleg, or Luthier, said that all points are taken into consideration, so it's nice to know that we are all heard on some level.
Peace, people, I don't mean to gripe. I'm just honest about my feelings :D
Have a nice Sunday evening, all.

philip.ed
01-30-2011, 07:30 PM
Perhaps Ilya will do a version with pink grass for those of you who don't think the colour is important. The same people also seem to think it was sunny from March to December in 1940, with temps around 95 degrees F. Clueless.

The BoB, 10 July to 31 December. Clueless.
All in all, one of the hottest summers on record. Of course, in the early July days there was precipitiation, and the same is true for some parts of October, but overall largely hot. There are many books on the battle, and some have day by day guides with weather forecasts, so these make useful guides :D

fireflyerz
01-30-2011, 07:31 PM
Oh shut up .ed :grin:

philip.ed
01-30-2011, 07:34 PM
Oh shut up .ed :grin:

Was I too nice? :-P

Gomer Pyle
01-30-2011, 07:41 PM
Pick a green

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f394/SlipBall/ScreenHunter_01Jan301455.jpg

Which one is RLM25? I'll have that!

/Daniel

SlipBall
01-30-2011, 07:58 PM
Which one is RLM25? I'll have that!

/Daniel

RLM25 is a classified color, reserved only for the deluxe boxed version...you would be wise to forget all about RLM25, if you know what's good for you,

philip.ed
01-30-2011, 08:14 PM
RLM25 is a classified color, reserved only for the deluxe boxed version...you would be wise to forget all about RLM25, if you know what's good for you,

:grin:

Richie
01-30-2011, 08:24 PM
Some screenshots look good and some look like the colour has been turned up a little too much on a TV set. The game hasn't come out yet so we'll see.

robtek
01-30-2011, 08:39 PM
Yes, i feel the prewhining is strong in this forum.

fireflyerz
01-30-2011, 08:44 PM
Was I too nice? :-P

Your a Pome , you were born mean :grin:

jameson
01-30-2011, 09:11 PM
philip.ed please check out this site:
http://www.battleofbritain1940.net/contents-index.html
Gives daily account of the Battle of Britain including the daily weather report, also gives daily activity for units of both sides and their losses, and accounts of combat from participants of both sides. Please stop posting complete tripe about the weather.
Regards

Richie
01-30-2011, 09:20 PM
Here's the weathering editter for the aircraft. Another subject everyone is in a twist about is how shiny the 109s are. The weathering editter should fix that. Plus all of the skinners will be busy I'm sure as soon as this game comes out.

hiro
01-30-2011, 09:26 PM
How can I thank you Oleg & Co,
for updating another friday in a row
Step up stand up, take a bow
wait for the some to have the cow
receive your applause, thank you again

fast to avoid the waaamublance train
Houston Baikonur we have problem
this or another overwhelming them

Neon to green, its a Las Vegas theme, not a UK scene
Where's the specs so I can build my machine
High altitude to make my mixture lean
Too many complaints and not enough time
to add to a long list of whines

Ask her number but the girl don't care
Call of Duty Dover equals ROF scare
stay tuned for the video share

zauii
01-30-2011, 10:32 PM
How can I thank you Oleg & Co,
for updating another friday in a row
Step up stand up, take a bow
wait for the some to have the cow
receive your applause, thank you again

fast to avoid the waaamublance train
Houston Baikonur we have problem
this or another overwhelming them

Neon to green, its a Las Vegas theme, not a UK scene
Where's the specs so I can build my machine
High altitude to make my mixture lean
Too many complaints and not enough time
to add to a long list of whines

Ask her number but the girl don't care
Call of Duty Dover equals ROF scare
stay tuned for the video share

lol, nice one

Heliocon
01-31-2011, 01:01 AM
Good looking girl!
Got to agree though the colors look a bit "off", whats up with the AA, I mean WOP looks better... I hate to whine (because here being critical is whining) but its alittle underwhelming. Cockpits look nice, terrain kinda meh. Are the settings on high? If not, why not?

SQB
01-31-2011, 05:36 AM
Heliocon, my thoughts entirely (+1)

Robert
01-31-2011, 08:59 AM
Good looking girl!
Got to agree though the colors look a bit "off", whats up with the AA, I mean WOP looks better... I hate to whine (because here being critical is whining) but its alittle underwhelming. Cockpits look nice, terrain kinda meh. Are the settings on high? If not, why not?

It's not that being critical is whining. It's people who read the updates and despite the information given, ignorantly bash and complain. It's usually the same people who find plenty to cry about but never find anything good to write about.

It's people who ask the same question that's been covered again and again. RTFF. It's those who complain and yet refuse to see improvements on a weekly basis, indicating that things are still WiP AND being improved upon. It's some folks taking bits and bobs, targeting their complaints upon a few pictures, and not seeing the overall development process. There's some REALLY NICE STUFF to view if one takes a minute. It's folks complaining about tree types in lower England. It's those people who come in and bash, then give an off handed insult to the development team or other members of the forum. And quite frankly, the AA complaints are ridiculous. Does ANYONE really think this game would be released without the ability to have AA running? Seriously? And NO. The settings are not on high. RTFF.

Take a few minutes to read the forum before leaving comments. Some posts are as annoying as the next door neighbor's dog leaving land mines on my property.

It's those sort posts that clog up the forum like a bacon sandwich in my lower colon and cause unnecessary discomfort.

FANBOI MODE ACTIVATED: I think we're all going to be surprised at what's released in March. But what I find really exceptional is that even at these lowered settings the game will be very playable while still looking quite nice. For an exercise play IL2/FB at it's lowest setting. I think you'll be surprised at how comical it looks. You'll also discover how 'bad' the landscape is. Now turn it back up to the highest setting you can. Looks damn good don't it? I personally think CoD will have this sort of graphic flexibility. If these screen shots represent lower settings, then what's in store for the less graphically challenged gaming rigs?

Patience folks. Read the forum. Most topics and complaints have been covered. If one has to complain, at least have an alternative idea for improvement or facts to back yourself up. THAT's true criticism. Adding 'meh's' and portents of gloom and doom do nothing but reduce this forum to a battle ground. .

TheGrunch
01-31-2011, 11:51 AM
I agree with nearly everything you said, Robert. The only thing I disagree with is the comment about AA...it's not that people don't think the game will be able to use it, it's just that many of us, almost as much as any member of the development team, want to see this game do well in sales, and releasing screenshots and trailers without AA is one of those things that will put off casual buyers, especially those who don't know what AA is. Something will just look subtly wrong, and they'll just think the game has "bad graphics" and not bother. We want to see the effort the devs put in repaid, we're just hoping they'll realise how critical a lot of less hardcore simmers are about small touches like that because they're comparing the game's publicity to that of other games which are publicised in a way that's all flash and no content.

Robert
01-31-2011, 01:11 PM
Point noted Grunch re: AA..... and thinking twice about it, you're correct.

The marketing has barely ratcheted itself up. The casual gamer isn't aware of CoD yet (IMO). The next few weeks will probably see a plethora of screenies and clips and I think these will be more reflective of what we have in store for the release of CoD.

speculum jockey
01-31-2011, 01:17 PM
Good looking girl!

WOP uses a lot of cheats to trick you into thinking that the terrain is good, when in fact it's pretty fake. First they use that annoying vignette to make it look like an old film, you can turn that off. Next look at the view distance. Looks like you're flying over modern day Beijing with all that fog. Next the colours are exagerrated and in some cases washed out to look (at the same time) more vibrant and toned down.

It also relies on the FSX terrain trick of having the "ideal" altitude for terrain detail. The textures you will find look best at the altitude you spend 90% of the game at. When you get lower they look all stretched and very low detail. Load up the Slovakia map in IL-2 and start buzzing around at 200 feet. Doesn't look so good now does it? Same thing with WOP.

All flight sims suffer from this exact same problem. Even COD to a certain extent. In order to get rid of this issue you'd need ground textures to be a lot larger and more detailed. This would be both extremely time consuming and also it would really tax your system or require LOD settings that would really break immersion when changing altitude.

Look at this pic I'm posting below: It's the first pic that would load properly in GIS when typing "wing of prey terrain" with large pic settings.

Do I really need to explain why this is does not look good?
http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/6043/air416a007original.th.jpg (http://img502.imageshack.us/i/air416a007original.jpg/)

Sven
01-31-2011, 01:27 PM
It does look good Jockey, why? Because the creators of this are brilliant, doesn't consume a lot of PC power, runs great, looks good, it's perfect. Like Oleg's trick with the trees, just brilliant. You are of course being tricked, but this kind of tricking is class.

You sound like someone who just went to a magic show, and afterwards saying out loud in the crowd: You guys do know that that was all a big trick right?!

speculum jockey
01-31-2011, 01:46 PM
It does look good Jockey, why? Because the creators of this are brilliant, doesn't consume a lot of PC power, runs great, looks good, it's perfect. Like Oleg's trick with the trees, just brilliant. You are of course being tricked, but this kind of ticking is class.

WOP looks good for what it was intended to do. Run fast and smooth on a Console or Midrange PC and remind people of the camera filters used in Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers. The reason they do that is to trick people into thinking, this is what it should look like, because, hey! "That WWII movie and Show looked like that".

What Oleg is trying to do is show you what a flight sim would look like if you were looking out the cockpit glass, and not at 70 year old archival footage.

What I'm saying is that comparing the terrain in WOP to COD is not really a good comparison at all since the WOP environment has been so warped that there isn't a realistic frame of reference in it. Despite what people say about the grass in COD, WOP is more like a cartoon with all the colours and effects set to the extreme. There are no accurate colours in the game, so it's harder to say something looks wrong, meanwhile COD is going for everything looking realistic, so it's easier to find faults, even though it is miles more accurate and realistic graphics wise.

addman
01-31-2011, 02:37 PM
LOL! "Casual gamers". They don't even know what a flightsim is. Most people on this forum are fanatics, I'm willing to admit it, are you?:grin:

swiss
01-31-2011, 02:40 PM
LOL! "Casual gamers". They don't even know what a flightsim is. Most people on this forum are fanatics, I'm willing to admit it, are you?:grin:

addict yes, fanatic - no.

blades96
01-31-2011, 02:55 PM
I'm trying to be delicate, so I'm giving my views in the form of a complement sandwich.

The cockpits look incredible.
The landscape coloring looks off. Too bright and too much yellow.
The plane exteriors look great.

Example landscape with game cockpit
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/6463/kentb.jpg

nearmiss
01-31-2011, 03:37 PM
I've read the landscape color and brightness whines until it's just unbearable.

Think about what you are saying...

High quality video cards render differently with settings. The internet postings you see are also affected by your local VC settings. The quality is also set when the poster puts the picture up, rendered from his computer settings.

The most important thing is to just leave off these whines, until we get the BOB COD installed on our computer systems. Then you work through your settings and configuration files to get the color and brightness just right for you.

philip.ed
01-31-2011, 04:03 PM
philip.ed please check out this site:
http://www.battleofbritain1940.net/contents-index.html
Gives daily account of the Battle of Britain including the daily weather report, also gives daily activity for units of both sides and their losses, and accounts of combat from participants of both sides. Please stop posting complete tripe about the weather.
Regards

I'm not suggesting that the whole of the BoB was scorching hot, I have never said that. But it was quite a hot summer (it is on records as being so, hence the book: Kent and the Battle of Britain: The Long Hot Summer of 1940 by Robin J. Brooks). some books tend to exaggerate, slightly, on the climate of the Battle, but it was unprediactably hot (compared to previous summers. Although 1933 was a very hot summer).
I'm not posting complete tripe, obviously I'm not going to post exact weather forecasts and then go and wait until England is that temperature and take samples of grass colour, but at the same time, the information is irrefutable.
Indeed, it is one of the reasons why many pictures (although arguably staged) show pilots in their shirts and 1932 pattern life-preservers, with their SD jacket left in their locker. Not a lot of evidence points to them flying like this (because at altitude it would still get very cold) but it was too hot, at times, to wear a jacket.
Looking in my book The Battle of Britain by Richard Townsend Bickers, I can see that when Autumn came the weather started to become randomly wet and rainy, so I was wrong in suggesting September was hot. That is true, so sorry for that :oops:
But before then there were hot spells.
Actually, viewing this guide, day by day, perhaps I have over-estimated the extent the weather would have on the terrain? Because although there wasn't as much rain between late July and late August, there was still a fair amount of cloud. Temeratures were warm, verging on hot, but I cannot comment on their effect on the terrain. Nor would I want to, I'm not bothered about that.
Either way, it is nonsensical to go into this much detail, so sorry for rambling, but books will always have conflicting information, and so I think it is wrong to discount certain views as tripe ;) (and also hypocritical, based on your date periods for the battle)
Peace ;)
I am not bothered about the colour being a perfect match, but from looking at the pictures, the brightness does really come out.
As I said, release will show the game in its true form and I can't wait for that :cool:

Trumper
01-31-2011, 04:08 PM
Regarding the colours,the proof will be in the pudding.
QUESTION, IF it is decided the colours are not correct are they the sort of thing that can be altered either by the user or by the developer in a patch after the sim is released?.

mazex
01-31-2011, 04:17 PM
Yes, i feel the prewhining is strong in this forum.

Lol :)

nearmiss
01-31-2011, 04:20 PM
Regarding the colours,the proof will be in the pudding.
QUESTION, IF it is decided the colours are not correct are they the sort of thing that can be altered either by the user or by the developer in a patch after the sim is released?.

The development team knows what they are doing. They are especially sensitive to graphic issues. Afterall, the graphics environment is a priority for most current users of IL2. It certainly will be the same or more so with BOB COD.

You are going to love the graphics environment.

Take your dog for a nice walk, don't worry over it.

addman
01-31-2011, 04:22 PM
Lol :)

Yeeees! Strong in this one the whining is.....

swiss
01-31-2011, 05:24 PM
Yeeees! Strong in this one the whining is.....

Relax and wait he must.

But it was quite a hot summer

Now you mention it: Maybe luthier should add some predators. :mrgreen:

Heliocon
01-31-2011, 05:35 PM
WOP uses a lot of cheats to trick you into thinking that the terrain is good, when in fact it's pretty fake. First they use that annoying vignette to make it look like an old film, you can turn that off. Next look at the view distance. Looks like you're flying over modern day Beijing with all that fog. Next the colours are exagerrated and in some cases washed out to look (at the same time) more vibrant and toned down.

It also relies on the FSX terrain trick of having the "ideal" altitude for terrain detail. The textures you will find look best at the altitude you spend 90% of the game at. When you get lower they look all stretched and very low detail. Load up the Slovakia map in IL-2 and start buzzing around at 200 feet. Doesn't look so good now does it? Same thing with WOP.

All flight sims suffer from this exact same problem. Even COD to a certain extent. In order to get rid of this issue you'd need ground textures to be a lot larger and more detailed. This would be both extremely time consuming and also it would really tax your system or require LOD settings that would really break immersion when changing altitude.

Look at this pic I'm posting below: It's the first pic that would load properly in GIS when typing "wing of prey terrain" with large pic settings.

Do I really need to explain why this is does not look good?
http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/6043/air416a007original.th.jpg (http://img502.imageshack.us/i/air416a007original.jpg/)

NOOOOO I lost my post by accidently clicking ctrl... wtf

Jockey, you are brilliant I actually never noticed the things you pointed out before myself. Maybe on comps, with maxed settings they removed it? Next time I play I will have to check, but the fact that its their discretly in the background is why it is very clever.

So why isnt the SS on max or high settings? Its like an artist who has a gallery but only displays their mediocre/lunch time scribbles in the window. When you pass by they say: Hey, come inside I have some amazing paintings. Only $60 for entrance to see my good art, all this stuff in the window for show is just the below average work, but imagine how great the "good" paintings will look!

It makes no buisness sense, it makes no sense as a professional dev team and it makes no sense to put out images of the game which are inherently visual advertising/sampling, yet giving us only the mediocre scenes which strikes me as a quality issue (like take pride in your work, always present the best etc). It just doesnt "add up" and makes even me even alittle skitish when combined with the vids we have seen and the horrible performance at the show...
It looks like an engine from 5-10 years ago when you couldnt use HDR and AA at the same time, its absurd and jarring.

Also I dont have a problem with the pallete, but I think the colors look "washed out" and kind of pastel...
Its not my monitor ever so dont even suggest it, I own 4 LCD monitors where 3 of them are different (1 Dell, 2 Samsung + another Samsun of different model), as well as old crt's for when I am working. Its not a monitor issue.

Cobra8472
01-31-2011, 05:55 PM
WOP looks good for what it was intended to do. Run fast and smooth on a Console or Midrange PC and remind people of the camera filters used in Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers. The reason they do that is to trick people into thinking, this is what it should look like, because, hey! "That WWII movie and Show looked like that".

What Oleg is trying to do is show you what a flight sim would look like if you were looking out the cockpit glass, and not at 70 year old archival footage.

What I'm saying is that comparing the terrain in WOP to COD is not really a good comparison at all since the WOP environment has been so warped that there isn't a realistic frame of reference in it. Despite what people say about the grass in COD, WOP is more like a cartoon with all the colours and effects set to the extreme. There are no accurate colours in the game, so it's harder to say something looks wrong, meanwhile COD is going for everything looking realistic, so it's easier to find faults, even though it is miles more accurate and realistic graphics wise.

and I'd tend to prefer the cinematic look these games try to put forth.

Why? It simply looks more interesting, gives the setting a different feel, etc.
Lighting is an amazingally important aspect in any medium (photography, film or gaming).

It changes the entire way you percieve the scene, changing the emotions, impressions, and everything inbetween.

Considering CoD has a dynamic day-night cycle, this needs to be seamlessly transitioned between time and weather states. (i.e. different color correction based on time of day and weather)

Do you think there is a single accurate colour in any other game, or film for that matter? Everything nowadays goes through colour-correction - and it makes things much more interesting to look at.

Using Saving Private Ryan or Band of Brothers as your example is rather dumb, considering the fact that they only use a very light bleach-bypass film process, barely altering colours (mostly just desaturating them slightly).

kimosabi
01-31-2011, 06:01 PM
Let's just wait and see what tweaks CoD:IL-2 will offer. I know RoF has adjustable saturation in the startup.cfg file(conf.ini) so you can pretty much use the color saturation you like.

Oh and good luck rendering a photo realistic image in a flightsim in 2011. That's like 20-30 years ahead. I don't see why people would use a photorealistic image as reference at all. Especially when we consider the medium.

speculum jockey
01-31-2011, 06:44 PM
and I'd tend to prefer the cinematic look these games try to put forth.

Why? It simply looks more interesting, gives the setting a different feel, etc.
Lighting is an amazingally important aspect in any medium (photography, film or gaming).

It changes the entire way you percieve the scene, changing the emotions, impressions, and everything inbetween.

Considering CoD has a dynamic day-night cycle, this needs to be seamlessly transitioned between time and weather states. (i.e. different color correction based on time of day and weather)

Do you think there is a single accurate colour in any other game, or film for that matter? Everything nowadays goes through colour-correction - and it makes things much more interesting to look at.

Using Saving Private Ryan or Band of Brothers as your example is rather dumb, considering the fact that they only use a very light bleach-bypass film process, barely altering colours (mostly just desaturating them slightly).

1. Most people are interested in COD because it's striving for accuracy instead of "looks more interesting". They want accurate FM, accurate damage, and accurate lighting as opposed to a bag full of effects to get an atmospheric feel and still run on consoles and midrange PC's.

2. I don't know where you're going with the middle portion. I know that "accurate" is somewhat relative and that no game has a perfectly accurate colour for it, but I think that Oleg and Co. are trying for it instead of "washed out" like WOP.

3. Using Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers as an example works perfectly since that's that the WOP guys were going for. Spielberg washed out the colours and used steadycams since that's what you see in archival footage. He toned it down for the movie so the audience would be immersed more in the time period since everyone has seen a WWII clip. WOP went for the same thing, trying to get people to identify the same way since most people who are going to buy a WWII flight sim have watched archival footage as well.

If you prefer the cinematic look, I wouldn't be surprised if there were options in the config file or maybe even the graphics panel to get closer to what you want. And ATI/Nvidia also have soem rendering options that will help out as well if you get the full driver/suite downloads or aftermarket add-ons for their driver suites.

Cobra8472
01-31-2011, 07:12 PM
1. Most people are interested in COD because it's striving for accuracy instead of "looks more interesting". They want accurate FM, accurate damage, and accurate lighting as opposed to a bag full of effects to get an atmospheric feel and still run on consoles and midrange PC's.

2. I don't know where you're going with the middle portion. I know that "accurate" is somewhat relative and that no game has a perfectly accurate colour for it, but I think that Oleg and Co. are trying for it instead of "washed out" like WOP.

3. Using Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers as an example works perfectly since that's that the WOP guys were going for. Spielberg washed out the colours and used steadycams since that's what you see in archival footage. He toned it down for the movie so the audience would be immersed more in the time period since everyone has seen a WWII clip. WOP went for the same thing, trying to get people to identify the same way since most people who are going to buy a WWII flight sim have watched archival footage as well.

If you prefer the cinematic look, I wouldn't be surprised if there were options in the config file or maybe even the graphics panel to get closer to what you want. And ATI/Nvidia also have soem rendering options that will help out as well if you get the full driver/suite downloads or aftermarket add-ons for their driver suites.

Isn't that what we're all aiming for? Immersion?

"accuracy" is - as you mention, a relative term. To me, the current screenshots of CoD are not exactly the epitome of realism either.

You seem to have this arbitrary conviction that "effects" are bad. Why the hell is this? The color correction used in WoP works absolute wonders. It provides a sense of immersion, and sets a mood to the mission/area in which you are flying.

The rendering of trees, clouds, atmosphere and terrain by WoP is unmatched, even by CoD. As someone else mentioned, it has a bag of tricks to make it look good, and as long as it looks good, who cares how many shaders they use, or how they page their terrain.

And no, that is not what the WoP devs were going for. Some of the maps are pushing the colors towards bronze/beige, some are diffusing the whites, but none that I have seen try to emulate the bleach-bypass method utilized by the colourgrader in Band of Brothers/SPR.
Band of Brothers and SPR are very unique films - considering the fact that they do very minimal colour correction.

If you mean to say that they were trying to achieve a cinematic effect by color-correcting the screen, then yes- they were, alas so does every other film in existence.

And that is exactly my point, you say "the same way since most people who are going to buy a WWII flight sim have watched archival footage as well."

Isn't that the whole point?
To immerse ourselves, suspension of disbelief, etc.
Cinematic effects help with this, simple as that.

robtek
01-31-2011, 07:30 PM
The idea, above all "immersion" intentions, is, as i see it, to simulate reality as perfect as possible, not a movie!

philip.ed
01-31-2011, 07:41 PM
Relax and wait he must.

Now you mention it: Maybe luthier should add some predators. :mrgreen:

:grin: Laugh, had I not, angry would I be.

But I'm not whining; last week I said the landscape looked perfect, so I agree with Winny. Monitor tweaking should easily sort any brightness out (hopefully). It must be the CRT monitors the team are apparently using, because otherwise it makes more sense for the team to aim for complete consensus in terms of colour qualities on most monitor types. obviously this is near-on impossible.
My problem is I have exhausted myself here. The game looks perfect to me. I just felt the 'whiners' were getting too much harsh critique for posting their personal views (which is all relevent to the team, in one way) So it was my job to take this load on myself :P

Although if you want a scapegoat, call me.

speculum jockey
01-31-2011, 08:01 PM
Lots of words

You bring up good points, but what Oleg is trying to do (might be the photographer background there) is recreate the lighting and colours your eye sees in real life as opposed to a colour-corrected/altered version you'd see in the movies or other games.

The point of him taking that direction (I'm guessing) is that if you have a somewhat realistic starting point or "base" then you can more easily move from there. If he created COD with all the settings and tricks that WOP has then it would be much harder for someone to get it to look like FSX or X-Plane, or any other "non-styled/colour-corrected" sim. It's a lot eaiser to add in the vingette or the heavy-handed colour-correction, or the fog seen in WOP than it is to try and remove it.

It's all up to people's preferences, and it seems that most people like what Oleg is going for rather than what WOP already has. I'm not knocking WOP. It does what it wants to really well, but I'm guessing most simmers interested in the type of sim COD is shaping up to be want what Oleg has in mind for the visuals.

As for the visuals/style/colour-corrections found in WOP and Saving Private Ryan, that was just a rough comparison. After SPR was released a lot of people probably thought that real-life colour wasn't as vibrant as it is today. When I look out the window of a small aircraft I don't usually see a "pea-soup" film over everything like I do when playing WOP or watching a SPR.

You're entitled to your opinion, and so am I. But it looks like Oleg and I are on the same page given the direction the screen shots have been/are going.

The Kraken
01-31-2011, 08:28 PM
Isn't that the whole point?
To immerse ourselves, suspension of disbelief, etc.
Cinematic effects help with this, simple as that.

The problem is that immersion is completely subjective, and what works for one person can be a deal breaker for someone else. And that's where things get complicated.

For example, here are some opinions that I personally don't agree with:

- Il2 lacked "soul" and thus immersion
- dynamic campaigns are more immersive
- all WW2 sims should have EAW-style menus for increased immersion
- plane skins should have lots of weathering
- tracers should show a zig-zag pattern like in gun cam footage
- multiplayer is more immersive

Xilon_x
01-31-2011, 09:14 PM
DEAR OLEG MADDOX I REQUEST FOR CoD one expecial option for mission builder.
include traces of planes are not drawn on the map using the mouse, but .....

tracks recorded on a flight that is not realistic in the game in the map.

example: I fly from the coast to the island track is recorded and entered in the mission builder can also shoot in the air but still the track is recorded and included in the mission builder.

ie instead of using the mouse manually insert a track I use a piece of tracks recorded in the mission builder.

I used google translator to translate Mr. Oleg Maddox now I am writing in Italian and you try to translate myself.

Signor Oleg MADDOX richiedo una speciale opzione nel mission builder.
Precisamente richiedo di avere un opzione che inserisce anche le tracce registrate in tempo reale di volo oltre che le tracce inserite manualmente tramite il mouse nel mission builder.
ESEMPIO:
1)TRACCIA registrata in tempo reale : io effetuo un volo dalla costa all'isola posso sparare nel vuoto posso schiantarmi o posso atterrare il tutto viene registrato e inserito nel mission builder.
2)TRACCIA inserita manulmente con il mouse con dati di velocita' armamento carburante altitudine e vettore.

Heliocon
01-31-2011, 09:53 PM
Problem here is you two are arguing over what immersion is when you have two different opinions as it applies to COD.
Immersion as a emotional response that draws you into the enviroment/battle and makes it feel engrossing + incredible.
VS
Immersion that draws you into the game with the feeling off: so now I know how these pilots felt when they looked down and saw the landscape below. This is as close as I can get to flying a spitfire without actually physically flying one...

Two different definitions and I would argue "genres".

Also the CRT monitor comment is probably right, I noticed RT (russia today) did a segment on COD awhile back, dont know if other saw it or when it was from. Anyway the whole team were using what looked like 19/17 inch CRT monitors...

speculum jockey
01-31-2011, 10:07 PM
Problem here is you two are arguing over what immersion is when you have two different opinions as it applies to COD.
Immersion as a emotional response that draws you into the enviroment/battle and makes it feel engrossing + incredible.
VS
Immersion that draws you into the game with the feeling off: so now I know how these pilots felt when they looked down and saw the landscape below. This is as close as I can get to flying a spitfire without actually physically flying one...

Two different definitions and I would argue "genres".

Exactly!

Immersion is something that is different for every individual. The way Oleg is doing it allows for the easiest path to customizing it for the individual since he is trying to accomplish "real world accuracy" instead of "cinema accuracy" like WOP.

winny
01-31-2011, 10:28 PM
Firstly I'm not doing this as a 'I think it should be this way' thing.

It's purley to illustrate a point.

All I've done to the bottom pic is increase the contrast.

http://i822.photobucket.com/albums/zz147/winistrone/Contrast.jpg

My point is that all of the CoD screenshots have felt slightly 'lightweight'. The reason for this is that they contain very little true black, and the eye sees a lot of black in shadows in RL.
The effect you end up with is a slightly super-real look where you can see details in shadows that you wouldn't be able to in RL.

nearmiss
01-31-2011, 10:43 PM
Speculum

Everytime I read one of your posting I have the visual picture of speculum in use. I recently thought as I read one of your postings... I wonder how he learned that looking up a tailpipe.

Your last post where you mentioned immersion.... " Immersion is something that is different for every individual."

I guess I'm too visual

winny
01-31-2011, 10:48 PM
Speculum

Everytime I read one of your posting I have the visual picture of speculum in use. I recently thought as I read one of your postings... I wonder how he learned that looking up a tailpipe.

Your last post where you mentioned immersion.... " Immersion is something that is different for every individual."

I guess I'm too visual

Ewwww..