PDA

View Full Version : Offroad Mechanics TECH

C_J
01-25-2011, 04:54 PM
Hey people, I have something I want to get clear

Whats the difference in offraod capability and mechanics of Part Time 4WD system with front and rear differential lock and a Full Time Offraod system with centre, front and rear differential locks.

I know how the PART TIME 4WD system works. I also know that when differentials are locked for example the rear axle, what happens is that the 2 rear wheels are locked at the same speed, right?

People say vehicle like the G wagon has the ultimate offroad drive system with centre, front and rear differentials lockers./

Is it that when you lock the centre differential it locks all 4 wheels of the vehicle at the same speed? If yes doesn't this render the rear and front lockers useless since all the 4 wheels are locked at the same speed.

Would appreciate a good and clear answer.

dozer
01-26-2011, 11:42 PM
diff lockers make sure that both wheels at either end of the axle turn continuously instead of transferring power to the wheel which has the least traction allowing you to crawl up obstacles like you are in a tank.

Centre diff lock gives you a 50/50 power output "its just trying to make it sound better"

A 80 series land cruiser operates at 70 rear 30 front when in either 4H or L4 and then when you press the centre diff button it converts it to a 50/50 power configuration "notlocking either the front or rear diffs"

But when you look at a hilux it has no centre diff lock button but automatically gives you a 50/50 configuration from factory as soon as you put the truck into either H4 or L4.

Allot of people think centre diff locks are like lockers but in fact it’s just another thing to go wrong with the truck while off road.

C_J
01-27-2011, 06:31 PM
Appreciate the answer, So all new trucks have 50/50 ratio between axles when put in 4wd.
Example ford ranger t6
And would this new factory setting make centre differentials a obsolete part of the modern drivetrain set up?

Krazee DD
01-27-2011, 07:07 PM
Allot of people think centre diff locks are like lockers but in fact it’s just another thing to go wrong with the truck while off road.

O couldn't agree more. Its a gimmick on word play to me.

dozer
01-27-2011, 10:03 PM
Appreciate the answer, So all new trucks have 50/50 ratio between axles when put in 4wd.
Example ford ranger t6
And would this new factory setting make centre differentials a obsolete part of the modern drivetrain set up?

Centre diff locks will allways be around as it is another thing for a salesman to use on people with no idea lol "this has a centre diff lock, its better than the ones without them" lol.

Any truck that does not have a centre diff lock will operate at 50/50 as soon as 4wd is engaged.

Centre diff locks are normally apparent in trucks with a big price tag "or luxury models" for the simple fact that it is just another thing for them to be able to charge a premium on and justify the price tag. Well thats what i think anyway.

C_J
01-28-2011, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the answers.
Do you know anything else you guys could clear up for people confused about things like this?

dozer
01-31-2011, 05:29 AM
i know lots lol, but might cause more confusion hahahahaha;)

C_J
02-04-2011, 09:29 PM
just go ahead I would greatly appreciate any addition to my mediocre knowledge