PDA

View Full Version : New Expansion Space Rangers 2 Revolution - Petition

Tryan
01-10-2011, 04:49 PM
I just realized today that there is a new unofficial expansion for SR2, Revolution, which has been released. A short description of what the expansion adds (as translated elsewhere) is set out at the end of this post.

The downside is that the expansion is only available for the russian version of SR2. I understand from the forum of the developers of the expansion that they do not have the resources to translate Revolution for the English market. When asked whether 1C has been approached, their response is as follows:

"Well, we spoke about this with Dmitry Gerasev, 1C's producer of SR and SR2, but unfourtunately, we've not reached any concrete agreements at the moment."

I for one am willing to pay for this expansion and those of you who would also like this expansion made available to us English speaking folks, please sign on to this thread and if you can, email 1C (support@1cpublishing.eu) to make your voices heard. Viva Revolution!

"Revolution" adds:
• unique scripted situations [maybe word "encounter" would be better here, I dunno], which make game more interesting and deep (read below).
• additional equipment with unique characteristics.
• 42 new micromodules, some of which canonly be installed on dominators' equipment.
• text quests and planetary maps (43) and arcade fights (5).

Scripted situations:
• there will be a possibility of election. Very interesting situation, but it's better to see and participate once, than to read hundred enthusiastic responses.
• destroying of military base by pirates. Arrival of fleet of military fighters to protect MB is mandatory.
• player gets the opportunity to participate in experiments on science base "Annihilation".
• computer rangers generate artifact once in 1-3 years.
• destruction of the annoying creditor by the name of business center by the ranger-debtor with the quark bombs.
• talks of computer dealers about purchase of drugs, and, actually, purchase and sale of the dangerous goods.
• and another heap of cheerful and original jobs, adventures and innovations which impatiently wait you in addon.

The added scripts have made free world of SR2 even more independent, rangers began to be engaged more actively in their direct duties, and with that the competition has grown also, the real struggle for a post of the Messiah of space has begun. Fuss of casual pirates has grown into organized crime; space turned into the huge spontaneous market without rules except greed for profit and power. And it will be hard not to sink in wealth of choice and not to forget about a main goal of the ranger - to destroy waves of aggressors by any means.

Tryan
01-10-2011, 04:50 PM
The link to my brief correspondence with a developer of Revolution is below:

http://snk-games.ru/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=284&p=8482#p8482

jake21
01-18-2011, 04:05 PM
This sounds interesting esp the 43 additional text quests. I would be interested if not too expensive. Also would be nice if they included the widescreen patch with this expansion.

Sneaksie
01-20-2011, 01:06 PM
Stay tuned, we may have good news about this expansion and Space Rangers franchise as a whole in the future.

Valis
01-22-2011, 03:43 PM
Greetings,

I just registered to say I would be really interested (also many of people I know and are big fans of Space Rangers 2) in a English release of Revolutions. I'm sure if the news would spread around internet, many people would like to see this happen.

Stay tuned, we may have good news about this expansion and Space Rangers franchise as a whole in the future.
Can't wait. I hope the "good news" includes some proper modification tools for English version of Space Rangers 2: Reboot.

Tryan
01-24-2011, 09:37 AM

This would make my year, Space Rangers 2 being my all time favourite game :) Just as a show of support, I'll buy two copies of the expansion when it gets out.

Sneaksie, any idea when we can expect the announcement? A general idea would be great (i.e. in the next few weeks)

sluggo
01-26-2011, 04:56 PM
This would be awesome! I love this game!!

Tryan
01-31-2011, 12:20 PM

I know its only been slightly more than a week since you mande this post but any preliminary updates?

Sneaksie
01-31-2011, 01:33 PM
I guess any updates will be available in a couple of months time, not sooner.

Thraka
02-11-2011, 10:36 PM
Me too! I haven't played SR2 for a year and I just picked it up and started playing. Unable to put it down for 4 days straight! I've been playing so much of it that people on steam are asking me about it and I've convinced 2 of them to buy copies!

This game is so well made it's amazing. There is so much to it, so much to do, so much to learn. I really hope a SR3 would come out. Seeing more involvement with the galaxy as a whole would be awesome. Able to invest in planets and get a percentage of profits etc...

Anyhoo, I'll pay for Revolution.

fiju
02-16-2011, 11:52 AM
one more who wish to play

uk_john
02-20-2011, 03:22 PM
Add me to the list of people marked "bought" if it comes out in English! I thought there were software tools that could auto translate, at least the text adventures! :)

mp84
03-24-2011, 02:30 PM
Well,

Considering the last response from an ADMIN was about 2 months, let's hope we do see an update soon.. I too would love to see another Space Rangers Expansion, and will buy it of course ;)..

sluggo
03-27-2011, 12:41 AM
Sign me up as well!!

Tryan
04-01-2011, 10:58 AM
Any updates Sneaksie? Any information would be great

Valis
04-08-2011, 10:05 PM
I have a weird felling we will have to wait at least two more months before Sneaksie will tell us anything.

TheSAguy
04-26-2011, 07:41 PM
Please, please, please!!!!

nutranurse
05-20-2011, 01:08 AM
I registered just to say that Revolution would be a definite buy for me. No questions asked. Bring on the good news!

ywenli
06-04-2011, 06:48 AM
Would purchase this as well...I just keep coming back to this game.

jake21
06-13-2011, 01:52 PM
Ack no update from Sneaky :((((((((((

Vertix
06-19-2011, 03:34 AM
The russian page says that it's non-commercial, so they, russians, get it for free...

I wish sb could translate that pack, but it is indeed hard job, as even current english SR2 Reboot has bad syntax, is poor comparing to russian text and I also noticed some typos.

And since SR2 came out on 2006, Reboot was released in 2009, so that means, Revolution may or may not be released in 2012..

Tryan
06-19-2011, 12:02 PM
They should just offer to engage a translator and charge us a fee. I would easily pay $20 for that.

Vertix
06-20-2011, 04:53 AM
Erm, do you even have any idea, how difficult is it to translate THAT russian text into english? I can understand and read a bit russian and I'm not the only one, who noticed the poor translation work in english SR2. Professional job will cost a lot more than 20$.

But then again, despite the fact that SR2 is amazingly addicting game, it still has lost its value, well it does cost only 9$ now, while more popular games cost near 100$.. 1C company might think, if will it even be worth to release that expansion if expenses will exceed the profit..

Oh well, I still hope for the best, that the new expansion will be released to english SR2 someday...
But this makes me ask, how do they create expansions for that game? What tools do they use? Maybe I could make my own expansion instead...

Tryan
06-20-2011, 01:08 PM
Erm, do you even have any idea, how difficult is it to translate THAT russian text into english? I can understand and read a bit russian and I'm not the only one, who noticed the poor translation work in english SR2. Professional job will cost a lot more than 20$.

But then again, despite the fact that SR2 is amazingly addicting game, it still has lost its value, well it does cost only 9$ now, while more popular games cost near 100$.. 1C company might think, if will it even be worth to release that expansion if expenses will exceed the profit..

Oh well, I still hope for the best, that the new expansion will be released to english SR2 someday...
But this makes me ask, how do they create expansions for that game? What tools do they use? Maybe I could make my own expansion instead...

I meant $20 for the expansion which I am guessing everyone in the admittedly small niche world of SR2 enthusiasts would be willing to pay but small quibble.

ru_maniac
06-28-2011, 08:49 PM
Hello everyone, I'm Yakov "ru_maniac" Uvarov - one of the Revolution's developers. I'm here to make everything clear as much as possible.

For starters, right now we simply can't afford any translation, no matter how much it might cost. It's simply because that for today Revolution contains approx. 7-8 mbytes of pure text. You gotta understand - these texts are not just some column in your everyday newspaper, it's work of art which is pretty difficult to translate to any other language, not just English, and huge amount of this work doesn't really helps. You just have to accept the fact that Revolution probably will never be translated. All members of our team are sincerely sorry for such kind of inconvenience, but there's virtually nothing that we can do for you except for further conversations on our forum - you all know the address, I suppose.

Some of you folks as I can see pretty interested about what software we are using in our work. Mostly it's our own homebrew programms made few years ago when Russian SR2 community was more or less alive, but few pieces of tools were given by the developers themselves. But mostly we are using what we've done with our own hands: for instance, resource editor, animation conversion tools and our records table (gamers' hall-of-fame, ladder, whatever you prefer) were written from scratch.

If you'll have any questions related to Revolution, I'd be happy to help.

Valis
06-29-2011, 10:34 PM
Sad news, indeed.

I have also question (and request) about tools. Do you have any editor that would work with English Dominators/Reboot version and allow unpack text quests, then repack them back into appropriate file? there is a guy called Starcleaver who is cleaning up (and made a darn good job I must say) SR2 English translation, but he cannot do anything about text adventures, because lack of tools. Could you somehow help him out? Here (http://tgnforums.stardock.com/159208) is his topic on totalgaming.net, where he mentions the issues he has (also in last post). He had also a topic (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1299657) on Steam boards also, if it helps.

ru_maniac
06-30-2011, 10:27 AM
Sad news, indeed.

I have also question (and request) about tools. Do you have any editor that would work with English Dominators/Reboot version and allow unpack text quests, then repack them back into appropriate file? there is a guy called Starcleaver who is cleaning up (and made a darn good job I must say) SR2 English translation, but he cannot do anything about text adventures, because lack of tools. Could you somehow help him out? Here (http://tgnforums.stardock.com/159208) is his topic on totalgaming.net, where he mentions the issues he has (also in last post). He had also a topic (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1299657) on Steam boards also, if it helps.
Since I'm not registred neither on Stardock nor Steam forums, I have to answer here. Yes, there's text adventures editor called TGE, for "Text Games Editor", and it's freely available for anyone. The package includes the editor itself, equations calculator and export\import tool, which is able to dump all quest text into one *.txt or *.rtf file, which later, of course, could be imported back into the quest map (the *.qm file).

Because one of ex-members of our team no longer paying for the server on which rangers.ru was located, I've uploaded archive to our own site - here's link (http://snk-games.ru/tge_425_sfx.exe) (7-Zip self-extractable, 1.21 Mbytes). The only downside I can foresee - all these tools available in Russian only. I've no info about any homebrew translation of them.

Since all the *.qm files are stored inside *.pkg-archives, Starcleaver should also use SR ResEditor (http://starmind.3dn.ru/download/rangers_progs/SR_ResEditor_1.3.2.7z) in order to be able unpack PKG, made necessary changes, and build new archive.

Valis
06-30-2011, 03:30 PM
Thanks, ru_maniac. I'm going to try contact with Starcleaver to send him link to your message and utility.
[edit]
ru_maniac, I have one more question. Is there any "easy way" to disable "orange items" in SR2:Reboot? I've always found them very overpowered and game braking (btw. I heard that Revolution "fixed" this issue, could you describe how?).

Tryan
06-30-2011, 03:48 PM
Hello everyone, I'm Yakov "ru_maniac" Uvarov - one of the Revolution's developers. I'm here to make everything clear as much as possible.

For starters, right now we simply can't afford any translation, no matter how much it might cost. It's simply because that for today Revolution contains approx. 7-8 mbytes of pure text. You gotta understand - these texts are not just some column in your everyday newspaper, it's work of art which is pretty difficult to translate to any other language, not just English, and huge amount of this work doesn't really helps. You just have to accept the fact that Revolution probably will never be translated. All members of our team are sincerely sorry for such kind of inconvenience, but there's virtually nothing that we can do for you except for further conversations on our forum - you all know the address, I suppose.

Some of you folks as I can see pretty interested about what software we are using in our work. Mostly it's our own homebrew programms made few years ago when Russian SR2 community was more or less alive, but few pieces of tools were given by the developers themselves. But mostly we are using what we've done with our own hands: for instance, resource editor, animation conversion tools and our records table (gamers' hall-of-fame, ladder, whatever you prefer) were written from scratch.

If you'll have any questions related to Revolution, I'd be happy to help.

A real tragedy. 1C should just hire you guys to do SR3.

ru_maniac
06-30-2011, 04:03 PM
ru_maniac, I have one more question. Is there any "easy way" to disable "orange items" in SR2:Reboot? I've always found them very overpowered and game braking (btw. I heard that Revolution "fixed" this issue, could you describe how?).
All equipment is defined within \cfg\Main.dat and \cfg\Rus.dat. In order to change equipment's description and\or bonuses or simply remove entry, you have to decompile them via running rangers.exe with "extractcfg" command line key - that's what basically did Starcleaver when extracted game texts for translation.

Please note that all *.dat files will be dumped into single*.txt.

Speaking about Revolution - we just replaced all disbalanced equipment with our brand-new, including re-balanced bonuses.

Sing_In_Silence
08-23-2011, 05:06 PM

Late reply, but since I was here anyway...
Space Rangers is one of my all-time favorite games, so I was thrilled to learn about Reboot, and decide to see if there were any other 'expansions'.
I discovered Revolution (while the CHK forum was still down), and had a very hard time learning that there won't be an English release. (Google Translate was very helpful.)
While it makes me sad to have it verified, I appreciate that you took the time to come here and tell us (English/non-Russian 'speakers') yourself.

Thank you.

ru_maniac
08-25-2011, 10:01 AM
While it makes me sad to have it verified, I appreciate that you took the time to come here and tell us (English/non-Russian 'speakers') yourself. Thank you.
No problem. We have open-door policy for our users, so feel free to ask any questions related to Revolution at our forum - some among our staff speak English.

Malodarom
10-01-2011, 10:00 AM
Space Rangers 2: Revolution (English)

http://snk-games.ru/forums/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=482

Sing_In_Silence
10-04-2011, 05:33 PM
Please pardon my excessive excitement but zeeOhEmGeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!

<3 You have officially made my year. <3

Will get this running as soon as I have some time from studies and give feedback when I get that far.

Oh, this is so AWESOME!
Thank. You. Lots. :D

modo
11-03-2011, 03:57 PM
I've got this running but in the main screen new plannetary batttles and new quests still appear in russian no matter what option I select.
I've followed the instructions to the letter, anyone else hitting this?

ru_maniac
11-06-2011, 05:24 PM
modo, that's a hybrid-version of cfg's: only Reboot' content is translated. Everything what's coming along with Revolution is still not translated.
Btw, with the kind help of Sing_In_Silence, I've fixed all the typos which I could find. You can find fixed version here (http://snk-games.ru/forums/viewtopic.php?p=16654#p16654). Just unpack that archive over your old installation and that should do it.

modo
11-07-2011, 06:30 AM
Thank you man, you do a great job and I really appreciate it.
Long live SR2 :)

starlord
11-18-2011, 10:26 AM
Sorry, could someone please add a link to revolution? I can't seem to find anything!

ru_maniac
11-19-2011, 04:40 PM
Sorry, could someone please add a link to revolution? I can't seem to find anything!
Due to legal issues, we had to remove any Revolution packages from our website, I'm sorry.

starlord
11-20-2011, 10:09 PM
Why so? what happened?

In that case, is there another way to obtain the expansion?

ru_maniac
11-21-2011, 03:37 PM
Why so? what happened?
I'm afraid I have to refrain from any comments on this issue.

Tryan
11-23-2011, 03:03 PM
I'm afraid I have to refrain from any comments on this issue.

Is 1C giving you a hard time? If so we need to petition them.

1C, any comments here? Revolutions is a great expansion

Polymorpher
11-23-2011, 07:26 PM
They should sell it on steam, like everybody else.

They have enough of a fan base to overcompensate any translation costs.

My opinion is that 1C games have always suffered inept marketing.

ru_maniac
11-24-2011, 06:34 PM
Is 1C giving you a hard time? If so we need to petition them. 1C, any comments here? Revolutions is a great expansion
1C has nothing to do with it. Someone send a complain to our ISP, and ISP forced us to remove these downloads. Because of it, we decided to move our forums and website out of the Russia - to another ISP in Germany.

They should sell it on steam, like everybody else.
They have enough of a fan base to overcompensate any translation costs
It'll be illegal to do such a thing, because 1C is the one and only owner of Space Rangers franchise. In short, no one else have rights to sell any SR games.

cairn
06-18-2012, 09:31 AM
This would make my year, Space Rangers 2 being my all time favourite game :) Just as a show of support, I'll buy two copies of the expansion when it gets out.

Sneaksie, any idea when we can expect the announcement? A general idea would be great (i.e. in the next few weeks)

You do realize that you can just simply donate a chosen amount of money if you really want too right?

cairn
07-26-2012, 12:29 AM
It couldn't be that expensive to translate the Revolutions expansion into English.

I mean the expansion is already good to go. It works fine and effectively even with the English versions of Reboot. It would just require someone who can to go through all of the several text files associated with Revolutions and simply translate them. I can't imagine it would take more than a few weeks with even just one person working a full days on it, and probably just days with several people translating it.

Maybe it's the testing they don't want to pay for. I mean, they'd probably have to hire software testers to ensure the all the files responded to the proper triggers. But even then, it's not like they couldn't just release it as an English beta version first to work out any kinks formed in translation. That wouldn't cost very much because we players would gladly play the beta English version and complain about it's errors.

omegaweapon
08-08-2012, 06:07 AM
well maybe because developers of the mod already working on space ranger: HD

lucio1019
02-01-2013, 04:58 AM
I just started playing this mod.
Could anyone give me some information about how many orange items in this mode and how to get them?
thank you very much

wakko15169@yahoo.com
03-18-2013, 02:29 PM
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE ADD WAR BETWEEN THE FACTIONS

-War between the factions occasionally. Attacking there planets and taking them over. Nothing too crazy.
-Letter of Marque so you can attack the enimies of a faction without repercusions, just the people who your factions is at war with. once the war ends your sins our forgiven but not for malog. Pelengs give out Letter's of Marque like candy galeians rarely unless you are really good reputation.
-increase the reputation system to be more the 5 levels...kinda lame. Keep the number hidden but for the love of god add some buffers. You should be really hated if you have been killing them for hours and then all the sudden you kill one pirate and every one is calm..? same with the other end.. you kill one merchant after years of loyal service and you are hated?
^^^^^^^^^^^
Those two features will add more bang for your buck then anything else. Go back and play some sid meiers pirates and see what it would look like in practice.
^^^^^^^^^^^^
-Make dominators like zombie outbreaks that you would have to clean up periodicly or it will get out of hand. Possibly to kick in after you kill all the bosses or possibly from the start... You can see some great ideas in an indie game called space pirates zombies and bounty hunters.

Also a bounty system would be exceptional. Just for each kill or maybe someone could add there own money to a bounty and you could also add some ACTUAL PIRATE FACTIONS. And not just some shitty peleng malog and human versions. Seperate factions with there own tech specilizing in weaponery and scanners. Corsairs, Bucanners, Privateers, Pirates, Shadow Fangs... just brain storming.

-Add Boarding!! Make it hard to do and well worth it including the Hull flying with a small crew afterwards. Maybe have an item you have to buy like CREW MEMBERS!! so you can imporve your boarding chances and help resist boarding.

-New Stats for boarding and Disguising your actions so you don't suffer negative reactions from doing missions for opposing factions during wartime, maybe you wont get caught smuggling or maybe your attacks on peaceful traders will go unnoticed.

-Add two new Factions, One focused on exploration and the other on smuggling

-Add two new trade items. Colonists and Crew.

I don't know. Been thinking about this for a long time and honestly the first two are mandatory otherwise new items and text quests are not gonna be worth it for me. Adding War between factions and improving the reputation system will definetly add great emergent gameplay.