PDA

View Full Version : CotA School of Gloom quest Imp No Loss

Lord Ludwig
12-23-2010, 07:39 PM
A few months ago I remember reading somewhere in the forum that there was discussion about if the first quest in Champion of the Arena - winning 4 arena fights without joining any guild - was actually possible playing at no loss on impossible. At the time I just completed CotA and DotC impossible-no loss without bothering to try this first quest, after which I started an OotM campaign to check out the novelties, which took me more than two months (work, alas). Having finished the OotM campaign this morning, I decided to take a look at the old school of gloom quest.

I apologize if, as I suspect, many people have already done this before me, but I found that far from being impossible this quest is almost easy. The key, as usual, is the way overpowered plant strategy with Hagrid. I went mage impossible, hired Hagrid right away, made a single stack army of thorn hunters (Lew was selling a horde), and just using Fire Arrow, Mana Spring, the occasional Calm Rage and a few well timed Stone Skins was enough to win the four Arena fights. Turtle, Spider and Toad were very easy, while as the fourth fight I picked the Kraken. A long boring fight that ended somewhere around round 250, but a sure win if you place your TH in a spot attackable from only 3 sides, manage to have two of those occupied by non-threatening (low numbers) stacks, NEVER attack but only defend, chip away steadily at the octopus with FA and place a SS every time, in the final 60-70 turns, a stack of 800+ Devilfish is close to attacking you. I had 585 TH in this fight, they went down to about half a few times, but they build up again while their counterattack diminishes the threat of the main attacking stack (this, BTW, makes the TH stack even more efficient than trolls).

So I suppose this is old news, but anyway I wanted to let it be known once again that in CotA Hagrid definitely rules:grin:

plin500
12-24-2010, 08:19 PM
I didn't manage to beat the Kraken with one stack of hunters or hunters-warriors, but Lew was selling ents right away and from there it was a breeze. Although, it gets kinda boring to fight that way...

Rekki
08-25-2011, 10:31 AM
I take it Hagrid resurrects plants? Otherwise how could you not lose even 1 single TH? Such low HP.

I guess this answers 1 of my questions about the Gloomy quest. Hiring a Merc does not cause you to join the Merc guild and disqualify you from the Gloomy quest then?

But does joining the Hunter guild disqualify you from the Gloomy quest or is it just the joining of race guilds that disqualifies you. Exactly how does it work?