PDA

View Full Version : Please Adjust Unit Settings

BlueMendari
12-14-2010, 04:33 AM
I'm absolutely loving how many more options there are to adjust what units can and cannot be used in a game. From infantry-only (save for the high-priced APC-riders) to no infantry at all.

But, yes there's always a but, I have found some rather severe unbalancing in the 'No Medium Tanks' set. The German army receives a lovely array of armored cars and infantry-mowing AA guns, and a rather nice anti-vehicle weapon in the form of the Puma's cannon.

The USA gets a similarly dashing array of items... and then the Sherman Calliope. Yes, its technically considered 'artillery' but the fact that it maintains both armor and its main gun adds a little bit of an unbalance as it is still more or less a medium tank.

The main gripe is the recently-added Commonwealth. Not only do they get one, but two bona-fide medium tanks. The Valentine and the Matilda have head and shoulders more armor (except maybe over the Sherman) and firepower than pretty much anything the other countries get when it comes to a 'No Medium Tanks' game.

Yes, tanks are easy to kill with good infantry maneuvering, but I shouldn't have to be facing down a pile of Matildas in a 2v2 just because someone feels like getting only tanks in a setup that supposedly disallows medium tanks.

I'm happy to have more options for games like this, because it seems to me most every game of Men of War, be it vanilla or AS, turns into some kind of heavy tank duel where whomever gets the Jagdtiger or IS-5 into a superior position wins.

Removing the Valentine and Matilda from the Commonwealth's lineup, and the Calliope from the USA's lineup may leave them with one or two less vehicles, but the sake of balance and not quantity should be paramount when one actively opts to not play with medium tanks.

Please, something to consider while its still all beta'd up.

And before I get flamed, I do know I am aware of my own shortcomings when it comes to maneuvering infantry into decent anti-tank positions, but what I'm trying to get done here is remove medium tanks entirely from the 'No Medium Tanks' option, as it should be.

KnightFandragon
12-14-2010, 06:15 PM
Yeah that is problematic....no medium tanks yet US and British have them? What do the Germans have in No Medium Tank games? Panzy IIIs and Pumas? Yeah im sure Germans lose No Medium tank battles all the time. As for the Calliope, its a Medium tank...just with a Rocket launcher on the top....so yeah in no Medium tank games it should be canned as well, though I dont know how it would be done considering it is Artillery, not a tank only due to the list its in.

BlueMendari
12-14-2010, 07:30 PM
Actually, the Germans only get up to the Panzer II. The biggest gun in their vehicular arsenal on 'No Medium Tanks' is the 50mm on the Puma. Which isn't enough to crack front armor on a Valentine or Matilda over 30 meters. 30-70 meters might not be death for it if you can get behind the damn things, though.

Up from the PzII and Puma are the Flakpanzer and Wirblewind.

The Priest has surprisingly heavy armor for an artillery piece, (especially over the Wespe) but it's far easier to outmaneuver by far. The USA DOES get the Chaffee, which is classified as a Medium tank, but the armor on the Scott and the Stewart match it at solid 38's.

The British Valentine and Matilda run a solid 60 and 75 armor respectively with good firepower from their main guns. Though to be fair, every single tank the British can call in on "No Mediums" from the Daimler to the Tetrarch to the two mediums all mount the /same/ gun...

KnightFandragon
12-14-2010, 09:05 PM
Yeah no Medium tanks should have up to the Daimler and Tetrarch, Scott and Stuart. Germans should get what they have, Puma's. Panzy IIs...stuff like that. As for that 2Lber gun on the British tanks, it might be all the same but thats what they used. Armarments are realistic to what they were but yeah the game modes need to actually be what they say they are.

firearms2k
01-01-2011, 12:00 PM
That's funny, I haven't tried that option, and the problem still kind of persists in a regular match with Assault Zones. The Matilda is cheap, and I usually see them a lot even before I get a damn Pak.38 on the field. What stresses me more is how even the Hetzer struggles to penetrate its armor. Armor on the Commonwealths side needs to be fixed all around, indefinetly. Centurions are the new MoW King Tigers:rolleyes:

Crni vuk
01-10-2011, 12:33 PM
no they are not. Get a Naßhorn and use it a bit with brain and you will see centurions die like flies.