PDA

View Full Version : Range limitations - Please change if possible

Crni vuk
11-24-2010, 02:06 PM
It seems that Assault Squad units have just as in MoW limitations with the range they would engage enemy units. I am not talking about the limitations where units would engange the enemy automaticaly I am talking about the limitations of the guns when you have the unit in direct control (strg + e ? I think). So that if you are aiming with a tank or anti tank gun you simply cant fire at the unit as its "out of range".

Now I would like to see that changed as it seems that if you dont see the unit but know its position you can fire at it even when its out of range and with a powerfull gun and weak unit as well penetrate ! It would be very helpfull if you could fire at units in direct control regardless how far away they are. It would be also nice to be able to fire in all directions even the air and without any target infront of you. Why ? Well it killed me a few times as the enemies unit might attack you from a hill but you cant "fire" because there is nothing in front of you.

Maybe I got something wrong so please feel free to correct me here of course. But it seems that I had situations where anti tank guns destroyed my units from quite some range while I had no chance to engange them as I was to far away. It would be nice to have a chance to fire with all units regardless if its the effective range or not.

Twan
11-24-2010, 08:02 PM
Agreed, you should be able to fire for a longer range, just with larger dispersion and less kinetic energy.

Are you talking about situations where an enemy unit fires on you, you see them, place your cursor on them and are all set to fire when they magically disappear, throwing off your aim, only to have them re-appear and kill you with the second shot? I hate that. Perhaps some sort of keyset to raise/lower and move your direct control aimpoint side to side in mid air would be helpful. You obviously know the enemy is there, you should be able to fire at him without waiting for the second, possibly fatal, shot to have a target to place your cursor on.

Korsakov829
11-24-2010, 08:17 PM
You obviously know the enemy is there, you should be able to fire at him without waiting for the second, possibly fatal, shot to have a target to place your cursor on.

A game can only go so far.
Perhaps a mark target function. It would have to act like a ghost though, with the image of the tank only staying 30 seconds after the tank goes a certain distance. The function would have to have a recharge time of 2 minutes.

Twan
11-24-2010, 08:57 PM
I do not mean to create an artificial target, just the ability to raise and lower the direct control aimpoint into the air, so you can shoot at something that you cannot see that might otherwise be impossible or difficult.

Korsakov829
11-24-2010, 09:07 PM
That would be rather difficult. But if you create an artificial target, you can do this and get even more out of it.

Twan
11-24-2010, 10:20 PM
Yeah maybe, even a solid little wall to have something to aim at would help.

Crni vuk
11-24-2010, 11:44 PM
That would be rather difficult. But if you create an artificial target, you can do this and get even more out of it.
Though this concept is in many games where you have direct control over your units possible. I know most of the time third or first person shooters. But if its possible there why is it not possible in MoW-As (move ass :P ?). I am just curious as this was already a small but stupid issue with the usual mow ...

Strange enough is if you for example have a building, dirt or what ever else behind the enemy unit you can fire at the location and hit the unit even if you dont see it. So it seems that all what you need is "some" kind of information for the cursor to be able to shoot. But as said I would like to shoot when ever I see it fitt. Particularly when you have some unit hidding, knowing its position (eventually) but you cant fire because there is no obstacle behind it ...

Are you talking about situations where an enemy unit fires on you, you see them, place your cursor on them and are all set to fire when they magically disappear, throwing off your aim, only to have them re-appear and kill you with the second shot?

EXACTLY! This is extremly anoying if you have enemies behind a hill with a slope as they would drive forward, throw your aim off and kill you eventually. It doesnt work always, but it can be extremly irritating. I wish the game would allow me to fire on what ever I want when ever I want.

I am not saying this small thing is something that breaks the game. But it would be nice to see here a change. I mean youre directly controling your unit. Why should you not get all benefits from it ? Particularly as some guns are quite potent.

Korsakov829
11-24-2010, 11:56 PM
You would need a 3D grid system, which you can navigate like you already do the camera in MoW sort of like a FPS. But thats a little while off for a RTS, maybe in 5-15 years.

Crni vuk
11-25-2010, 05:36 AM
isnt the game already in 3D though ? Well maybe a wish for a Sequel to MoW then ... we will see.

KnightFandragon
11-25-2010, 04:01 PM
Agreed, you should be able to fire for a longer range, just with larger dispersion and less kinetic energy.

Are you talking about situations where an enemy unit fires on you, you see them, place your cursor on them and are all set to fire when they magically disappear, throwing off your aim, only to have them re-appear and kill you with the second shot? I hate that. Perhaps some sort of keyset to raise/lower and move your direct control aimpoint side to side in mid air would be helpful. You obviously know the enemy is there, you should be able to fire at him without waiting for the second, possibly fatal, shot to have a target to place your cursor on.

This is soooooooooooooooo annoying in this game....that whole lose sight of something you have LoS on already.....and of all things to have dissapear, the tanks do it...its like really? Also, another retarded thing is when something fires at you but its like some sort of not out in plain sight but partially behind a hill or in a tree stand and the DC aiming thing refuses to go on them but it will target trees and hills and buildings and stuff....The Fog of War in this game might need a lil help in the vision dept but yeah.....

As for the longer ranges, Anti Tank guns need to fire further then a tank if they hope to have any usefulness at all. My dad has bought quite a few and they shoot less range or just as far as tanks. The 88 only shoots like 140. What are the ranges now anyway? Ive seen my dad playing and he targets a tank, one minute he can shoot to 150, next he cant even reach 130, then its 165 and back to 120.....But really, AT guns need to fire further.

Korsakov829
11-25-2010, 05:21 PM
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/9562/3dsystem.png (http://img35.imageshack.us/i/3dsystem.png/)

This is what I have in mind.

Crni vuk
11-27-2010, 12:02 AM
One aditional thing.

PLEASE DEVS IF YOU READ THIS CHANGE THE CAMERA IN DIRECT CONTROL D:!!!!

give it a possibility to rotate to the ground completely ! The camera many times makes aiming very dificult. Often you try to shoot a enemy tank which you barely can see as he is on the slope of a hill or behind some obstacle and you can only see the turret but you cant really hit it cause the camera cant be lowered to the ground so your gun is always aiming to high ! Please please fix that ! It gives units on hills sometimes as well a unrealistic advantage (since you should be able to shoot their lower hull for example) ! I tried last time to hit a Stug with the sluger, but it was damn near impossible as the aim would be sometimes on the vehicle, in the air, on the ground, shaking ... D: ! Very frustrating.

I dont know why the camera is that way, probably cause it has a colision detection with the ground like the camera would be a "object" please change that if possible ! At least for direct control. Or give us the ability to shoot directly like looking from the turret and not slightly "above" it because its working like a camera from a third person shooter !

Make the camera really work like it is designed "for" the vehicle in direct control! It would also help somewhat in infantry combat as well.

Would be very very very much apreciated !

Thank you for reading :3

KnightFandragon
11-27-2010, 03:30 AM
Well, im sure it can be done, I can view underthe ground in the editor with that clip mode thing unchecked. I have noticed aiming with tanks is sometimes iffy and rather annoying to do, like you mentioned there with the reticle aiming at hills and stuff...my dad gets screwed by that all the time...he moves the reticle to shoot and as he fires the reticle jerks, aims at the hill side and pow, a miss.....its annoying for sure lolz

Crni vuk
11-27-2010, 03:14 PM
yes ... that is very strang as well. Just curious about this now that you mention it, does the game actualy "really" model the shell, like letz say a object with physics and movement or does it simply check if there is something in the recticle and it calculates if it hits or dont, Counter Strike has something that is very similar where the game is only checking if something is in your crosshair or not so no real bullet calculation. Red Orchestra (A half realistic half arcade shooter based on the Unreal engine) does actualy model bullets and shells as real moving objects with a trajectory and dispersion (sadly spread only for small guns).

It seems that in MoW sometimes (or always?) the gun is conected with your recticle so that the recoil seems to throw of your aim making it sometimes impossible to hit anything if the tank is moving a lot after firing.