PDA

View Full Version : Video Capture?

SEE
11-18-2010, 10:52 PM
Do most peeps use a camcorder or are they using some type of software to convert their saved tracks to a video format - If it is software which do you recommend :confused:

Blackdog_kt
11-18-2010, 11:08 PM
Most people use an external piece of software called FRAPS, google it up. It has a free version that displays their website near the top of the screen when you record, plus i think you can't capture more than 30 or 60 seconds per recording.

If you buy and register it, you get an unlock code that disables their little header and any possible time limits.

SEE
11-19-2010, 12:02 AM
Cheers Blackdog......will check it out!

ATAG_Dutch
11-19-2010, 11:13 AM
Do most peeps use a camcorder or are they using some type of software to convert their saved tracks to a video format - If it is software which do you recommend :confused:

I use FRAPS, but rumour has it that 'gamecam' and other software are less resource hungry.
If you look at 'shades of things to come' I posted, this was done on an old pc, also with fraps. You'll see the stutters!
There's a significant drop in framerate with fraps, even on my i7, 6 gig RAM, ATI 5770 set-up. Luckily it still generally stays above 30fps though, on full graphic splendour.
Hope this helps
Dutch

DoolittleRaider
11-19-2010, 05:21 PM
I use FRAPS, but rumour has it that 'gamecam' and other software are less resource hungry.
If you look at 'shades of things to come' I posted, this was done on an old pc, also with fraps. You'll see the stutters!
There's a significant drop in framerate with fraps, even on my i7, 6 gig RAM, ATI 5770 set-up. Luckily it still generally stays above 30fps though, on full graphic splendour.
Hope this helps
Dutch

When recording using FRAPS, run your Ntrk/TRK at half-speed, capture, then in VirtualDub double the speed (back up to normal); this helps/eliminates the stutters. Also, with Free version, you simply crop off the top edge with the Fraps logo, again using Virtual Dub (VDub is also a free program). Finally, in a decent movie you'll seldom want any shots(camera viewpoints) in your Final movie to last longer than 4-6 seconds...the base guideline for all movies is 14 shots per second. Therefore, the Free Fraps limitation of 30 seconds for continuous recording is Way more than enough.

ATAG_Dutch
11-19-2010, 06:16 PM
When recording using FRAPS, run your Ntrk/TRK at half-speed, capture, then in VirtualDub double the speed (back up to normal); this helps/eliminates the stutters. Also, with Free version, you simply crop off the top edge with the Fraps logo, again using Virtual Dub (VDub is also a free program). Finally, in a decent movie you'll seldom want any shots(camera viewpoints) in your Final movie to last longer than 4-6 seconds...the base guideline for all movies is 14 shots per second. Therefore, the Free Fraps limitation of 30 seconds for continuous recording is Way more than enough.

All true!
However, I like to keep the original sound and add music and speech files over the top. In fact it's the main reason I bought a new pc.
The old pentium iv rig couldn't do it the way I wanted.:)

SEE
11-20-2010, 12:28 AM
Thanks for all the info, very useful and I often wondered if there was a particular use for the 'time compression' option on the track playback menu. Amazing what tips and tricks you can learn from the IL2 community.......:grin: