PDA

View Full Version : Correct designation for vehicles

Crni vuk
11-07-2010, 11:33 PM
I know this is just a Beta, and from what I have seen its "neat" very similar to the usual Mow, for the good and worse. But thats another story.

Thing is it would be nice to get eventually "correct" designations for vehicles eventually ? Like not just "Tiger I" but eventually something like Panzerkampfwagen VI H Ausf. H1 or Panzerkampfwagen VI Tiger Ausf. E Sd. Kfz. 181.

Why one might ask ? For a simple reason, because many tanks have seen changes over time.

Take the Tiger 1 as example which had a usual 120mm armor around the turret with early produced models, like with the mantlet but around 1943/44 (march I think ?) manufactured tigers got up to 200mm on the mantlet which proved to be unpenetrable by any american anti tank leave alone the 90mm eventualy and even a huge problem for the powerfull british high velocity 76mm 17pf. Yet in assault squad the 76mm anti tank gun will damage the turret from quite some distance even from the front ... which is not very authentic. But one could always assume the shell was "lucky" enough to hit between the mantlet and hull and with absolutely realistic numbers here no one would see much of a chance with any sherman version anyway. And there has been the case of a sherman with its 75mm damaging a Tiger II with early turret which featured the "shooting gab" if I remember correctly, though a very lucky shot I would suppose. And before the *Panther received a slightly different turret it was not that uncommon for the T34/76 to have a richochet that would hit and penetrate in to the crew compartment of the *Panther.

So to make it short, it would be nice to have here the designations of vehicles to know for those of us which are very enthusiastic and have some knowledge in the units, their armor, guns and capabilities which unit the game actualy has really.

*Here very nicely, the turret of early production Panthers which have a completely round shape and would see sometimes a richochet that penetrated the driver section
http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm387/Daytona-675/pantherzv1.jpg

Which got later changed to a turret that had a better design against smaller calibers like 75mm and 76mm guns

http://www.missing-lynx.com/gallery/german/images/PantherG_1.JPG