http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQMolsKaohc

Not bad at all.

Qpassa
10-26-2010, 10:57 PM
very cool

julian265
10-27-2010, 04:46 AM
Way too much green IMO.

I opened up a few frames in GIMP to read the RGB values and make sure it wasn't just my monitor...

White roofs and spinner? Green dominant.
Sky? Green dominant.
Clouds? Green dominant.

I can't say I appreciate the effect.

edit... More about the sim than the scenery, but still applies.

mazex
10-27-2010, 06:31 AM
It's amazing that the BoP devs don't add a configuration option to "enable/disable" the "band of brothers" old color film effect that everybody hates...

JVM
10-27-2010, 08:51 AM
Could they add also a 1940/2010 landscape switch, or a 1940/1943 airfield switch?

Trumper
10-27-2010, 08:59 AM
:( The filming is good but why is everything pea green,what happened to blue and red? The colour or lack of it is awful-disgusting.

Skoshi Tiger
10-27-2010, 10:45 AM
The Hurricane doing a flat turn looked very unusual. Hope SOW is more based around flight model

Cheers!

SEE
10-27-2010, 01:04 PM
In all fairness, the colour balance/temperature can be adjusted on most monitors to suit personal tastes.

Hunden
10-27-2010, 02:31 PM
Overall I liked the video. I think everyone just has different taste. It would be very boring if we all liked the same thing.:grin:

speculum jockey
10-27-2010, 02:47 PM
Overall I liked the video. I think everyone just has different taste. It would be very boring if we all liked the same thing.:grin:

Very true, but what's been annoying Oleg is people constantly saying. . .

"But WOP/BOP has much more realistic looking terrain in it!"

As julian265 pointed out, it's really too green and a lot of the naturalness and "realism" are a result of tricks they use to fool the user into believing things look real. Take a photo of the Hurricane and compare it to a real colour photo of it, you'll notice the WOP one looks nothing like the real colours, but it has to be that colour because the rest of the game is so drab and washed out with greens.

Like mazex said, they're using that awful "drab" filter effect from SPR and Band of Brothers.

philip.ed
10-27-2010, 04:20 PM
If we saw that terrain in SoW, without the rest of SoW having that same filter applied, everyone would be happy I think. So long as the landscape could be tuned to have warmer colours, it would look awesome. I play the WoP demo every week or so, and I always marvel at the seamless terrain.
Of course we have yet to see how SoW looks in-play, but with WoP there are no objects that randomly pop-out as you travel closer; everything just feels so smooth.

That's just my opinion though. I, too, don't like WoP's colour filter, although I do not find that it detracts too much from the terrain itself. The terrain does look a bit as though each field is the same colour, although on the other hand the Berlin map has fields that have really nice, warm colours.

ChrisDNT
10-27-2010, 06:24 PM
Except for this ugly "WWII" filter (1), the terrain in this sim is so good, excellent geometry and excellent disposal of the trees and the fields, so natural.

(1) if I had to choose some kind of filter, I would have, instead this "Band of Brothers" brown mask, choosen a filter which would portray the Kodachrome look of the fourties :

http://www.shorpy.com/image/tid/179

of course, as an option, I prefer realistic lighting.

mazex
10-27-2010, 07:28 PM
Except for this ugly "WWII" filter (1), the terrain in this sim is so good, excellent geometry and excellent disposal of the trees and the fields, so natural.

(1) if I had to choose some kind of filter, I would have, instead this "Band of Brothers" brown mask, choosen a filter which would portray the Kodachrome look of the fourties :

http://www.shorpy.com/image/tid/179

of course, as an option, I prefer realistic lighting.

Amazing images there, and no "band of brothers sepia filter" ;)

Just look at this one taken in 1942... Looks like it was taken yesterday!

http://www.shorpy.com/files/images/1a34949u1_0.jpg

SEE
10-27-2010, 08:07 PM
You have to play WOP and BOP to appreciate one of the difficulties that the graphics and the atmospheric ambience imposes for SIM players. There are no plane Icons in SIM and spotting ac, which only appear at much closer distances than on IL1946, is extremely difficult. The planes are very difficult to spot at low altitude, they merge into the detailed ground terrain and virtually all on-line games are confined to dogfight furballs at very low altitudes with players diving to 300ft at the instant they spawn. I find the graphics to be a major problem and, despite all the positives of having a reasonable terrain, in practice you have to wash out the clours by increasing brightness and reducing contrast so that you can actually do what the game is all about - spotting your foe and not admiring the scenery or wether one field is too green or yellow!

flyingbullseye
10-27-2010, 08:25 PM
The Hurricane doing a flat turn looked very unusual. Hope SOW is more based around flight model
Cheers!

Kind of reminds you of a Disney ride. lol

Flyingbullseye

Hunden
10-27-2010, 09:53 PM
Kind of reminds you of a Disney ride. lol

Flyingbullseye

I got a laugh out of that because when I got this happy, comfortable, familar feeling watching it turn I didn't know why......:grin:

Madfish
10-28-2010, 07:10 AM
wings of prey bob homemade demo terrain

[VIDEO HERE]

Not bad at all.

Ah well, the creator had the godlike idea to include some useless music (probably britney spears or some of his other favorites) and thus the video can't be played from EU / Germany at least. UMG is the rights holder to the music and thus it won't play duh.

Maybe you can find a version without music? If not I'd have to use a proxy... to watch a simple video. Guess in that case I'd have to pass :P

Qpassa
10-28-2010, 07:44 AM
I have watched it, im from Spain

Chivas
10-28-2010, 04:52 PM
Hopefully WOP will bring new combat flight sim members into the community. Then they can advance into the SOW series.

Tree_UK
10-28-2010, 09:56 PM
That terrain is better than what we have seen so far from SOW at this moment in time if the colours were different it would be spot on.

kalimba
10-28-2010, 10:43 PM
That terrain is better than what we have seen so far from SOW at this moment in time if the colours were different it would be spot on.

That is true...But WOP terrain will never be spot on...Unless we get a all natural and realistic color from this game...;) And that is the real challenge if we want to compare those two sims...

That means that SOW is our only hope for what we all wish for...:rolleyes:

Salute !

The Kraken
10-28-2010, 11:10 PM
Doesn't matter either way. Even if the terrain was spot on, it would still be in the wrong game.

Blackdog_kt
10-29-2010, 01:05 AM
Actually, what most people forget is the reason WoP can afford to have such terrain. Most maps are very small compared to IL2 or SoW maps, so they can just cram more detail into them for the same cost in processing power.

What i mostly care about is AI, game engine capabilities, dynamic campaign/mission builder/online modes,built-in modability, FM/DM and aircraft systems management. If we need to wait for hardware to catch up before we see something like this with corrected colours on a full size map, then i'm perfectly fine with it.

SoW could have IL2 terrain but if it had improvements in the other fields i mentioned, i'd consider it a sound compromise and a good purchase. After all, it's easier to replace or touch up graphics and textures for stronger PCs at a later date, than it is to rewrite core modules of the software engine that governs whatever happens in the game.