PDA

View Full Version : Will SoW support / designed to run with Multi processor systems?

Flying Pencil
10-16-2010, 06:30 AM
Want to know as I build my new SoW PC :)

swiss
10-16-2010, 06:48 AM
multi core or multi cpu?

Sven
10-16-2010, 10:38 AM
multi core or multi cpu?

I think the obvious swiss, the multi core support, have not yet heard of multiple CPU's in one motherbord.

I think it will Flying Pencil, I can´t imagine a game which is build around a single core in high standard games like this, I think it will be much like Rise of Flight, the more cores, the better the performance will get, I think some sticks of RAM (4GB or more) will do good as well.

May I suggest the new AMD Phenom II x6 series? Most bang for the buck for sure looking at the 6 core processors. I've heard wonderful stories about the i7 series from Intel as well, if only the price would drop dramatically.

T}{OR
10-16-2010, 11:19 AM
He could mean multi-CPU systems as well. ;)

Flanker35M
10-16-2010, 12:53 PM
S!

There is an EVGA motherboard where you can slam in 2 x Xenons. One such setup was the Rig Of The Month at Guru3d. The motherboard alone costs like 500€ so not for the normal guy :( Here is the link: http://www.guru3d.com/news/guru3d-rig-of-the-month--september-2010/

IceFire
10-16-2010, 02:06 PM
I think the obvious swiss, the multi core support, have not yet heard of multiple CPU's in one motherbord.

Those have been around longer than the multi-core actually. Lots of pro systems used to have dual CPU setups. They were never ideal for gaming so they didn't really catch on in the gamer world but they do exist and software wise it shouldn't be all that different than a dual core.

In any case...seeing as IL-2 Forgotten Battles offered Hyperthreading support and IL-2 itself has some limited awareness of multi-core systems (way ahead of it's time) it stands to reason that Storm of War will expand on that. No idea what the support level would be... Oleg would be smart to offer at least quad core level support. By the time this product has reached full maturity we'll probably be looking at 10 or more cores.

Flying Pencil
10-16-2010, 02:40 PM
multi core or multi cpu?

Both/either.

Some computers are "dual quad core", which is 2 individual chips of 4 cores each.

While I am sure SoW does take advantage, how much?
Full advantage?
Partial advantage?

I have often read it can be a bit tricky to efficiently support multi processors.

Blackdog_kt
10-16-2010, 04:40 PM
I'm going by memory here, but i think it's been confirmed in an interview sometime that SoW will be multi-core optimized.

kimosabi
10-16-2010, 06:01 PM
I'm going by memory here, but i think it's been confirmed in an interview sometime that SoW will be multi-core optimized.

My memory says the same.

Flanker35M
10-16-2010, 07:21 PM
S!

I think it was mentioned that SoW should use multiple cores for calculations. RoF can use all of my 6 on the AMD 1090T.

Feuerfalke
10-16-2010, 07:51 PM
The question is: Is it multi-threading.

Yes, I'm pretty sure it is.

As such, it will benefit from both, multiple cores and multiple CPUs.