PDA

View Full Version : Why il2 is great

SQB
10-05-2010, 11:26 AM
Basically, this thread is for propaganda, but its all true i swear! :)

Because you just get it right, corrections dont come in later patches because they dont need to, EXTRAS and ADDONS come later.

Unlike SOME (ahem ROF ahem) who can't even get the sky colour right, and spend the next year trying to fix it whilst trying to get you to pay more...

The level of detail is WAY ahead of its time, remember il2 (the first one, yes, that far back), i was blown away by the fact that it animated the landing gear, rolling after takeoff and the damage on landing, it was just incredible. And here we are a decade later with other games only just getting ahead.
Those little details are what make a game, and il2 is great at hitting those right on the head!

philip.ed
10-05-2010, 11:35 AM
I couldn't agree more. I remember when first playing the demo, I had only played CFS1,CFS2 and Fighter Squadron (which I couldn't get to grips with) at this time, and then I played Il-2 and was mesmerized. I was pretending the p-39 was a a spit and the 109G a 109-E and was reenacting BoB scenarios, loving everything about the game.
It's still awesome today.

lbuchele
10-05-2010, 01:07 PM
The very first plane I fly in Il2 was the P39.I remember that I couldn´t take off with that beast and when I finally was able to do it, stall every time I tryed to do a low speed turn.
Not even mention the high speed stall that I had not experienced before in previous flight sims.

HFC_Dolphin
10-05-2010, 01:10 PM
IL-2 is great because 9 (NINE) years after its original release it's STILL the best and most complete game in PC's.

I really try to figure out if any other game, besides Civilization, can compete to IL-2 in the history of games.

winny
10-05-2010, 01:36 PM
Ok, I'm only here because I'm waiting for SoW. But I've decided to buy 1946. (Anyone recommend where I can get it via download?)

So.. being a noob,

What bits of software/patches/expansions do I need in order for me to be able to get online with it?

Thanks

Richie
10-05-2010, 02:04 PM
Here you are

http://www.direct2drive.com/3021/product/Buy-IL-2-Sturmovik:-1946-Download

Avimimus
10-05-2010, 02:27 PM
I remember my first successful flight - I didn't have a fast enough computer, but I talked a friend into installing the demo. I recall firing a 37mm from the P-39 using only the keyboard. It was a head on pass with the FW-189. To my surprise I hit and blew off an engine which fell gloriously to the ground as the FW-189 struggled along.

I remember people were so fascinated that they did things like dive the P-39 until both landing gear had been torn off and then land the plane on its nose wheel. As the plane slowed below vmin the angle of attack increased and the plane lifted up again.

It was a real innovation to have aircraft that would keep flying once you bailed out and to have ships modelled below the water line, torpedoes and Russian aircraft. It was all so new and so much higher fidelity.

Oleg would eventually release the AFM - I don't know how many people remember what a revolution that was.

ATAG_Dutch
10-05-2010, 02:42 PM
What bits of software/patches/expansions do I need in order for me to be able to get online with it?

Hi Winny,
After you've got the 1946 installed, you need to update it with v4.08 and v4.09, downloadable from various places. I think I did mine via M4T, (mission4today). There'll probably be a link on here somewhere.
Then you'll need to get Hyperlobby from hyperfighter.sk, installed and set up to your liking.
There are loads of servers available on hyperlobby, but some of the ones using unmodded v4.09 are, well, not very realistic, with no stalls n spins, and unlimited ammo and fuel etc.
UKdedicated1 is a good place to start.
Someone else would be better telling you about other 'add-ons' available, as we're not supposed to talk about them here.
See you there, hopefully.:)

My first experience of IL2 was the mig3-U high level one on one single mission against the recce FW-189.
I must have flown that 100's of times, and still do now and again for nostalgia's sake.
I first flew it on a win98 computer and was hooked. That was in 2001. Still hooked.
Still fly old Campaigns. Love the Sturmovik Leningrad campaign.
SoW will have a hell of a lot to live up to.

Splitter
10-05-2010, 03:50 PM
Mt first experience with IL-2 (1946) was just a few months ago. I had been into other types of games and X-Plane, but I always wanted to get back to my roots in flight combat. I had avoided IL-2 early on because the theaters of war did not interest me greatly and I never followed its' development.

Any new game, if it is good, comes with a learning curve, some frustration, and some absolute wonder.

For me, all of those things were encompassed with flying an F4-U off of a carrier that first day :). Each time, I would drop into the water with the left wing stalling right before impact. So I had to go online and search for some tips on taking off with that plane. Eventually, I got it and it was a great feeling of accomplishment.

Then came landing the Corsair on a carrier....I never knew plane could bounce that high lol. More research followed. Then I tried knocking down some Zekes and discovered the wonderful stall modeling :). That first week was spent tweaking my control settings and learning how to turn each plane without stalling and spinning.

I could argue that first impressions of games are the most important thing. I could also argue that, if the game is good, the first few weeks are the most fun because that is when you are getting to know the basics of the game. Discovery is a wonderful thing.

Of course, if the game is VERY good, playability lasts beyond those first few weeks and you keep discovering new things about the game and refining your techniques.

IL-2 scores high on the initial interest AND with its' onging ability to keep your interest.

Splitter

winny
10-05-2010, 04:30 PM
Hi Winny,
After you've got the 1946 installed, you need to update it with v4.08 and v4.09, downloadable from various places. I think I did mine via M4T, (mission4today). There'll probably be a link on here somewhere.
Then you'll need to get Hyperlobby from hyperfighter.sk, installed and set up to your liking.
There are loads of servers available on hyperlobby, but some of the ones using unmodded v4.09 are, well, not very realistic, with no stalls n spins, and unlimited ammo and fuel etc.
UKdedicated1 is a good place to start.
Someone else would be better telling you about other 'add-ons' available, as we're not supposed to talk about them here.
See you there, hopefully.:)

I'm downloading it now. thanks

ATAG_Dutch
10-05-2010, 04:40 PM
I had avoided IL-2 early on because the theaters of war did not interest me greatly and I never followed its' development.

It's a funny thing that, because when people first talked about it, I felt the same about the theatre of war issue.
Since getting into the sim hugely, I found that my interest in, and knowledge of, that theatre of war was expanding and I wanted more.
I've since made sure I read up on it, and have benefitted from a significantly expanded knowledge.
I think this 'game' has done a lot for a greater realisation in the west as to what the USSR went through from 41-45, and that goes some way to explain what happened after.
Just reading in depth about the siege of Leningrad is incomprehensible to us modern types.
So not only a fantastic combat flight sim, but as far as I'm concerned, a great educator.
I always was a bit slow on the uptake!:)

But it works both ways. A friend of mine went to Leningrad (I mean St. Petersberg of course!) a couple of years ago, and visited a war museum. The English speaking guide was adamant that Britain and the US did not get involved in WWII until June 1944.
Maybe Storm of War will do for some Russians what IL2 has done for me.
I certainly hope so.

Splitter
10-05-2010, 05:20 PM
Hey Dutch,

The ground battle had always fascinated me but I never paid a lot of attention to the air war. Then I saw IL-2 and thought: I HATE tank busting and mud moving, that's not the game for me. I saw the air battle in the East as hordes of outdated Russian planes battling a small number of more advanced German planes. And it ended there for years.

(Side note: I did recently discover that I purchased Pacific Fighters at some point but I don't think I played for too long. I was just getting into BF 1942 when I bought Pacific Fighters as I recall.)

Still, my gripe is that I can't play for the USAAF flying over Europe. I am looking forward to one day being able to jump in my Mustang or P-47 for an off line stock campaign and take on the Luftwaffe.

Yes, the "geekiness" of this and other forums has opened up a whole new area of WWII aircraft/airwar for me. It's a whole new level of detail and definitely an education.

Splitter

philip.ed
10-05-2010, 05:23 PM
I know there is a taboo around the subject, but modding the game does allow you to play in every theatre that I am aware of...

ATAG_Dutch
10-05-2010, 08:24 PM
Side note: I did recently discover that I purchased Pacific Fighters at some point but I don't think I played for too long. I was just getting into BF 1942 when I bought Pacific Fighters as I recall.

Still, my gripe is that I can't play for the USAAF flying over Europe. I am looking forward to one day being able to jump in my Mustang or P-47 for an off line stock campaign and take on the Luftwaffe.Splitter

I must confess, the 'Pacific Fighters' element of 1946 I've not yet 'gelled' with, owing to the length of some of the missions. 45 mins of flying over boring water only to be shot down by flak?!:grin:
I also find the landscapes a bit 'garish'.
The RAF campaign isn't too bad though.

Phil's got a point re mods whilst we await SoW. M4T have loads of downloadable campaigns and skins that'd suit your needs admirably.

IceFire
10-05-2010, 08:37 PM
IL-2 is great because it has always had this fantastic wide ranging scope that few other games have had. In the past we've always been constricted to either the Pacific or Western Europe in two theaters that we've always known about. With IL-2 1946 and the most recent patches we're now able to go all over the world... we can now simulate and take part in various angles of battles over most of the full history of World War II. From Khalkin Gol to Sevastopol to Midway to Caen and the invasion of Norway. We even have Slovakia and Hungary and a makeshift Italy.

I've said it before and I'll probably say it again... but it's just so refreshing to have one scenario where you're flying Me-262s against a formation of B-17 bombers over Germany and then the next time... you could be flying J8A Gladiators against DB-3 bombers over Finland and then scrambling in a Wildcat to defend Midway. That is just so fantastic.

bf-110
10-05-2010, 11:05 PM
Some hundreds reasons only in YouTube.

I played CFS3.It was very nice,you could see historical building,the graphics were great,but it was ultra complex,even in the most arcadish mode,and it had few aircraft.

SQB
10-05-2010, 11:44 PM
actually on the subject of first time playing, when i got the game we were about to go to singapore. I was so eager to play the damn thing i smuggled it in and installed it on the computer belonging to the people we were staying with. I played a mission where you fly in a fw190 i believe and take out some ground targets, then a bunch of il2s come in and you have to shoot them down.

I was just simply amazed, the dust flinging up off the ground as i swooped over the forests, peering over out of my canopy as i tried to spot the burning rocket launching vehicle things (imagine a GRADS system but WW2, i dont know what they are called) and tanks. One of the il2s hit the ground without exploding as it tried to get away from me and skidded along on fire as i emptied my guns and pulled away watching the crew sprinting away from the burning aircraft.

What a way to start eh? :rolleyes:

WTE_Galway
10-06-2010, 12:41 AM
The best thing about Il2 was it let you fly so much of the "real" war, jabo in an Emil on the Eastern front, Gladistors in Scandinavia, Hurricanes over Singapore, Avia's in Slovakia etc etc

Before Il2 95% of combat flight sims basically revolved around recreating scenes from American war movies.

Il2 changed all that and proved you do not necessarily need the Pony fan-boi fraternity to be a success.

Im.Hotep
10-06-2010, 04:00 PM
What sold it for me 8 years ago... skim the top of a hill... yep.. missed that hill for sure... but wait... where's my prop? engine sound? power? crash.

The prop wrapped around the cowling = SOLD

SEE
10-06-2010, 06:20 PM
Bought Il1946 earlier this year (from Amazon for a paltry £5-00) having been told about it on Xbox whilst playing 'Birds Of Prey'. I absolutely adore Il1946 even though it was a steep learning curve at first. I also bought 'Wings of Prey' and it is inferior in every respect. I spent a lot of time trawling all the forums asking questions and setting up the game graphics to a level that IMO surpasses 'Wings of Prey' in many aspects. I'm addicted to to Il1946 and with all the downloads, mods, easy access to on line play would recommend it to anyone who wants a great WW2 sim that is still the best available despite its age.

I get home from work, jump into a cockpit and fly one of the Pacific missions from start to finish even if it takes 90 minutes. That Pacific ocean looks so real that sometimes I just want to jump into it and take a swim.......I don't care if SOW will be several months away, I still have so much to do on 1946 that I can be patient!

peterwoods@supanet.com
10-06-2010, 07:29 PM
[QUOTE=SQB;187524]I was just simply amazed, the dust flinging up off the ground as i swooped over the forests, peering over out of my canopy as i tried to spot the burning rocket launching vehicle things (imagine a GRADS system but WW2, i dont know what they are called) and tanks.

USSR used Katyusha multiple rocket launchers. Various types, number and size of missiles. German troops nicknamed them "Stalin Organs".

Germans had a similar weapon called a Nebelwerfer. Allied troops called them "Moaning Minnies"

TheFamilyMan
10-07-2010, 03:43 PM
I posted this a while back on the ubi forum. It completely sums up my reverence towards IL-2:

Brothers and Sisters let us be grateful and rejoice in the goodness of IL-2.
For what ever the future brings forth, IL-2 is here among us now.
And regardless of its faults and failures,
IL-2 will eternally bring forth abundant joy and satisfaction on the rigs for which we currently possess.
S!

After last week's squad coops, we were discussing that IL-2 has truely transended from 'just another game' to something of lasting signifigance. Following this discussion I had the above revelation and just had to share it here.