PDA

View Full Version : Another Fantastic BBC Battle of Britain program

furbs
09-20-2010, 12:17 PM
Quite a Fantastic bit of TV...watched this today on the BBC iplayer and its one the best things ive watched this year...catch it if you can.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00txy2q/The_Battle_of_Britain/

PeterPanPan
09-20-2010, 12:20 PM
+1

Quite agree - it was simply superb television. It had everything you could possibly want in a BoB programme. Bloody marvellous.

There's another one on the BBC this Wednesday.

PPanPan

ATAG_Dutch
09-20-2010, 12:30 PM
Quite agree - it was simply superb television. It had everything you could possibly want in a BoB programme. Bloody marvellous.
There's another one on the BBC this Wednesday.
PPanPan

I posted on the other BBC thread but what the hell, the BBC did a great job yesterday. I even watched the service and march/flypast which were superb.
The McGregor brothers were an excellent choice for presenters, with genuine 'brotherly banter' adding to the professional skills of both men to deliver the necessary impact.
It even persuaded my Mrs to finally watch Ben Fisz's 'Battle of Britain' film.
Looking forward to the German perspective on Weds.
Bring it on.

DoolittleRaider
09-20-2010, 07:01 PM
Not available in US through that link. Anyone know how to see it in US?

I mean, if BBC is allowing free viewing in UK, why not also in US??

KG26_Alpha
09-20-2010, 07:25 PM

Nothing is free from the BBC, the £140.00 annual license fee pays for radio, terrestrial, satellite, internet and cable program broadcasts.

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************************************

"About the licence fee

Everyone in the UK who watches or records TV as it is broadcast needs to be covered by a TV licence. This includes TV on computers, mobile phones, DVD/video recorders and other devices.

The Government sets the level of the licence fee. The most recent funding settlement was in January 2007."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/aboutthebbc/licencefee/

Yambretta
09-20-2010, 09:11 PM

Same reason that USA shows/Sites do not allow streaming to UK ... Money :grin:

airmalik
09-21-2010, 01:13 AM

I'm hoping for a torrent. Wouldn't mind paying for this if it was possible. Show based on Geoffrey Wellum's (Spitfire pilot) memoirs the other night is another show I'd love to watch. Bought the book and the audiobook as well which unfortunately is abridged.

I'm considering signing up for strongvpn.com to watch these shows.

pupaxx
09-21-2010, 05:22 AM

:confused::confused: In Italy too it isn't available!:(

KG26_Alpha
09-21-2010, 02:47 PM
I'm hoping for a torrent. Wouldn't mind paying for this if it was possible. Show based on Geoffrey Wellum's (Spitfire pilot) memoirs the other night is another show I'd love to watch. Bought the book and the audiobook as well which unfortunately is abridged.

I'm considering signing up for strongvpn.com to watch these shows.

Theres a torrent available for this.

zakkandrachoff
09-21-2010, 04:49 PM
Quite a Fantastic bit of TV...watched this today on the BBC iplayer and its one the best things ive watched this year...catch it if you can.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00txy2q/The_Battle_of_Britain/

i can't see this video. They dont let me play it
i am from Argentina. BBC: english. Is for that s##t?
:o
i only gonna fly 109E and 110C:evil:

philip.ed
09-21-2010, 05:16 PM
The First Light programme was only good based on the fact that the team were on a budget and on a time limit. otherwise it was very poor IMHO.

But the show mentioned in this topic was awesome, I really enjoyed it and the McGregor brothers relationship was really nice to see. Not all famous actors are drama-queens. I echo Dutch's comments here ;)

EvilMonkee
09-21-2010, 10:27 PM
The Drill Sergeant in the Cranwell sequence was my Drill Sergeant when I was at Cranwell just over a year ago - absolutely top bloke...

SEE
09-22-2010, 10:52 AM
Did any of you guys catch the BBC 'Spitfire Women' documentary on Monday Night?

It was a documentary (with interviews) about the women pilots who formed part of the ATA. I was absolutely gobsmacked that these young women pilots flew around 150+ different types of WW2 Aircraft with absolutely no training - they were simply given a book as they climbed into the cockpit and flew it to its destination in all weather conditions, no RT and no ammo.

Feathered_IV
09-22-2010, 12:30 PM
Looking forward to the German perspective on Weds.
Bring it on.

Really? what program is that? I'd like very much to see it.

Nevermind! Found it...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00txmkk

Blackdog_kt
09-22-2010, 04:06 PM
Did any of you guys catch the BBC 'Spitfire Women' documentary on Monday Night?

It was a documentary (with interviews) about the women pilots who formed part of the ATA. I was absolutely gobsmacked that these young women pilots flew around 150+ different types of WW2 Aircraft with absolutely no training - they were simply given a book as they climbed into the cockpit and flew it to its destination in all weather conditions, no RT and no ammo.

Sort of like flying a prop plane in FSX for the first time, you open up the in-game checklist, ignore the air traffic control and do your thing :-P

proton45
09-22-2010, 07:00 PM
The First Light programme was only good based on the fact that the team were on a budget and on a time limit. otherwise it was very poor IMHO.

But the show mentioned in this topic was awesome, I really enjoyed it and the McGregor brothers relationship was really nice to see. Not all famous actors are drama-queens. I echo Dutch's comments here ;)

You got to give them some slack here (or maybe you are...lol). A drama (or movie) will never live up to the expectations one develops after reading a good book. Any filmed extrapolation of a written work could never live up to the magic of reading a book...their is so much that happens in the mind of a reader and a filmed representation limits the involvement of your imagination. I dont think they ruined the story with their short drama...I just think that they didnt have enough time or money to give the story the justice it deserved.

I dont think the drama was a "home run"...but, what was their...was ok.

Maybe this drama will inspire others to read the book.

Really? what program is that? I'd like very much to see it.

Nevermind! Found it...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00txmkk

This does look interesting...

philip.ed
09-22-2010, 07:49 PM
Yes, I know exactly what you mean. I have been talking with a fair number of people involved in the production, and they have all said that, despite lots of comments about historical accuracy, many things happened in the program because it made 'good TV'. That's generally what is usually comes down to.

Oh well, whwn I rule the world.... :cool:

proton45
09-22-2010, 09:48 PM
Yes, I know exactly what you mean. I have been talking with a fair number of people involved in the production, and they have all said that, despite lots of comments about historical accuracy, many things happened in the program because it made 'good TV'. That's generally what is usually comes down to.

Oh well, whwn I rule the world.... :cool:

Interesting...

Yea, true...a producers (suits) idea of what makes "good TV" (all to) frequently ruins what was good with the original idea. In this case they might have ignored the quality's of the original story that the "targeted audience" would have been looking for...in place of trying to "attract" a larger audience. However...in this situation, it was by no means a "Pearl Harbor" assault... ;)

philip.ed
09-23-2010, 02:51 PM
No, i agree. In fact, I might have quite enjoyed it if I hadn't read the book. The cliched characters, for me, were what let it down. But for a budget they did a pretty good job ;)