PDA

View Full Version : If you can watch BBC TV then...

furbs
09-13-2010, 08:18 AM
You will want to watch this...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/tv/comingup/first-light/

His book "First light" is one of the best BOB books ive ever read...I will not be missing it.

Viking
09-13-2010, 10:44 AM
Perhaps even the best! Amazing that they sent out 19 year old's in a dangerous and complex machine as the Spit. But I guess that was ( and sadly is) how it works. Looking back 40 years in time I remember the naivete and ignorance I had at that time and this is probably why they can send young but not old men into war.

A bloody good read though.

Viking

Mysticpuma
09-13-2010, 02:34 PM
Ditto, I hope they can give just 10% of the Atmosphere Wellum creates in his memoirs! I have this set to record, as I too found it one of the best books on WW2 aviation I have ever read.

Cheers, MP

RCAF_FB_Orville
09-13-2010, 03:48 PM
Looking forward to this too, the BBC trailer for it looks impressive. As per usual though, the grognards will dissect it ruthlessly because they have nothing better to do with their lives. :grin:

"I counted the amount of rivets on the CGI Spit fuselage and it was clearly in error.......A 'Henley' teaset and the cutlery used in the mess were not even in production then, as my source here verifies, it is clearly an anachronism *blah blah blah* Christ people get a life.....obsessive compulsive much lol? Sad b*stards :grin: :grin: :grin:

philip.ed
09-13-2010, 04:04 PM
I've seen the flight-kit made for this film first-hand and it's awesome (for anyone who's interested...:D) The maker did an amazing job with it (as he usually does)
Looking forward to this, the book was great, so I hope this'll be too. It should be, as I gather the team behind this have done their best to nail all the historical factors where possible :D

furbs
09-13-2010, 05:48 PM
Lets hope Oleg gets to watch it and makes a note of the colours of the fields in southern england :rolleyes:

philip.ed
09-13-2010, 06:29 PM
Haha :grin: that made me smile. We all know he loves it :-P But seriously. i'll watch it, review it, pick it apart and then write what features should be modelled/changed in SoW-BoB. How does that sound to you all? Great i hear? Cool.

:o

Viking
09-13-2010, 06:35 PM
Even better if you watch it, pick it apart, and then tell BBC how to fix it.
More true to the modus operandi of this forum.

Viking

philip.ed
09-13-2010, 07:50 PM
Hahah :grin: Excellent ;)

Igo kyu
09-13-2010, 10:02 PM
Even better if you watch it, pick it apart, and then tell BBC how to fix it.
More true to the modus operatus of this forum.

Viking
Modus operandi

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modus_operandi

Heh :grin: ;)

ATAG_Dutch
09-13-2010, 10:33 PM
You will want to watch this...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/tv/comingup/first-light/

His book "First light" is one of the best BOB books ive ever read...I will not be missing it.

It's my favourite BoB memoirs.
The IL2 film I just posted is chapter 3 in my film of the book.
The BBC just beat me to it.
The B**t**ds. :-D

Bloblast
09-15-2010, 07:31 AM
I saw it yesterday.

Worth seeing, used also images from the movie Battle of Britain.

PeterPanPan
09-15-2010, 11:46 AM
I am attempting to put my finger on the reasons why, but I was rather disapointed by it. The best and certainly most moving pieces were the visuals and audio of GW himself. I would have preferred much more of him than a drama which, in my opinion, missed too many crucial parts of the book and failed to inspire the viewer in the way the book does. And as for the many scenes with Grace ... I found these both unecessary and uncomfortable to watch and, as they were not in the book, am left wondering as to their authenticity. I just wish Spielberg and his budget could have been thrown at this to make something more akin to Band of Brothers. Imagine a first person, shaky view as GW scrambled to his Spit etc. etc.

I think that Brian Kingcome's portrayal, and the way he treated GW, was unnecessarily harsh. I understand there was a certain aloofness, borne out of necessity to protect one's emotions. However, IMHO having read both First Light and BK's A Willingness to Die, BK's character was over cooked.

Also, although not crucial to the essence of the story, you'd think the makers would have made an effort to get the aircraft markings a) correct and b) consistent, even if incorrect. 92 Sqn's code was 'QJ' but aircraft were marked with 'AI' which has never been used for any Squadron. Maybe it stood for Artificial Intelligence, a nod towards the CGI used?! GW's aircraft also seemed to change in the same scene, for example, the 'lost in a storm' sequence.

I really think the BBC missed a golden opportunity here to do so much better and to inspire and educate future generations about what it really meant to be one of The Few.

PPanPan

ATAG_Dutch
09-15-2010, 01:06 PM
I am attempting to put my finger on the reasons why, but I was rather disapointed by it. The best and certainly most moving pieces were the visuals and audio of GW himself.
PPanPan

Agree completely. As usual, bits were condensed, 2 events fused into one, characters depicted completely differently from the book, Mac and Kingcombe particularly, and 'romantic interest' added as no drama can possibly be successful without some sexual overtones (sorry, sarcasm).
For me, the highlight of the visual part of programme was seeing GW enter the pub for a G&T whilst commenting on the impact it made on him.
There was an interview with GW on Radio 4 about a year ago, which did a far better job than this programme, which is a shame.
On a positive note though, at least the BBC tried to bring those times back into the national consciousness, in a manner which might be more appealing to the general populace than to us.
The squadron codes were annoying me even in the previews last week, BTW!!:evil::grin:

proton45
09-15-2010, 04:43 PM
I am attempting to put my finger on the reasons why, but I was rather disapointed by it. PPanPan

I have not read the book....and maybe thats why I enjoyed the BBC show. Also, I tend to be a bit more "forgiving", when it comes to TV shows and movies....a TV program has to be pretty bad for me to feel let down. I think I tend to look for the good in a production....I dont expect much from Hollywood, ect...so I'm not often "let down".

For anyone who hasn't seen it...give it a chance, its not that bad.

philip.ed
09-15-2010, 04:51 PM
I am attempting to put my finger on the reasons why, but I was rather disapointed by it. The best and certainly most moving pieces were the visuals and audio of GW himself. I would have preferred much more of him than a drama which, in my opinion, missed too many crucial parts of the book and failed to inspire the viewer in the way the book does. And as for the many scenes with Grace ... I found these both unecessary and uncomfortable to watch and, as they were not in the book, am left wondering as to their authenticity. I just wish Spielberg and his budget could have been thrown at this to make something more akin to Band of Brothers. Imagine a first person, shaky view as GW scrambled to his Spit etc. etc.

I think that Brian Kingcome's portrayal, and the way he treated GW, was unnecessarily harsh. I understand there was a certain aloofness, borne out of necessity to protect one's emotions. However, IMHO having read both First Light and BK's A Willingness to Die, BK's character was over cooked.

Also, although not crucial to the essence of the story, you'd think the makers would have made an effort to get the aircraft markings a) correct and b) consistent, even if incorrect. 92 Sqn's code was 'QJ' but aircraft were marked with 'AI' which has never been used for any Squadron. Maybe it stood for Artificial Intelligence, a nod towards the CGI used?! GW's aircraft also seemed to change in the same scene, for example, the 'lost in a storm' sequence.

I really think the BBC missed a golden opportunity here to do so much better and to inspire and educate future generations about what it really meant to be one of The Few.

PPanPan

I agree. Although they were on a budget, I can't understand why they had to have the spitfire mark 9(?) and also why a load of scenes were shot in reciprocal, so it was like looking at them in a mirror.
Not as good as the book. A good opportunity missed IMO.

Cap Loz
09-15-2010, 05:07 PM
I agree. Although they were on a budget, I can't understand why they had to have the spitfire mark 9(?) and also why a load of scenes were shot in reciprocal, so it was like looking at them in a mirror.
Not as good as the book. A good opportunity missed IMO.
Have to agree. Not as good as the book, which I am now going to re-read.

The drama side of it was laughable in parts.
Did anyone else have trouble making out what the Scottish Mac was saying.
And did he have a bad hair day throughout the period??
He did not take off his hat ONCE!! How ridiculous, he even wore it while dancing with a "popsy" LOL

SEE
09-15-2010, 05:14 PM
I haven't read the book but enjoyed the Drama/Ducumentary styled format. I imagine that it was presented in a way that would appeal to a wider general viewing audience and, in that respect, I felt it conveyed the emotional suffering and camerade these pilots experienced. 18 years of age and surviving as a rookie Spit Pilot at the onset of the BOB was a hell of an achievement in itself. I wasn't aware of the book but will get it.

ATAG_Dutch
09-15-2010, 05:20 PM
I haven't read the book but enjoyed the Drama/Ducumentary styled format. I wasn't aware of the book but will get it.

You won't regret it, it's a superb book.:)

philip.ed
09-15-2010, 05:52 PM
Have to agree. Not as good as the book, which I am now going to re-read.

The drama side of it was laughable in parts.
Did anyone else have trouble making out what the Scottish Mac was saying.
And did he have a bad hair day throughout the period??
He did not take off his hat ONCE!! How ridiculous, he even wore it while dancing with a "popsy" LOL

:grin: It might have been tradition. I couldn't guess. They were fond of their caps, but whether they'd have worn them in pubs is another matter. I'd have thought it would have been bad manners.

I would have loved to have seen this filmed over a 6 week period with a 1 hour episode broadcasted every week. They could have used mostly all of the books details right up until he went to malta this way.

ATAG_Dutch
09-15-2010, 11:16 PM
:grin: I would have loved to have seen this filmed over a 6 week period with a 1 hour episode broadcasted every week. They could have used mostly all of the books details right up until he went to malta this way.

+1

That would have been a far better bet, but you can also bet your life that when the people that conceived that very idea tabled it at the BBC, they rejected it as being too expensive for the level of interest and viewing figures it would generate in the UK.
I'm off work for two weeks, so caught the BBC lunchtime news today, September 15th, the 70th anniversary of the 'Greatest Day'. No mention was made of this at all, and yet we were subjected to a 5 minute report on the propensity of common garden snails to return 'home' every day, as long as they weren't further away than 30 metres from where they started.
I actually complained to the BBC for the first time in my life.
Snails??
For F**ks sake.:evil:

Igo kyu
09-16-2010, 12:41 AM
Snails??
For F**ks sake.:evil:
It's science, sort of (I do understand that snails aren't the most attractive or active animals). :)

Would you rather have had some "history" theory (communism) or religious theory (from a theocracy)?

WTE_Galway
09-16-2010, 05:43 AM
It's science, sort of (I do understand that snails aren't the most attractive or active animals). :)

Would you rather have had some "history" theory (communism) or religious theory (from a theocracy)?

I have a friend that sees a person who apparently channels the "King of the Dolphins" who, surprisingly is actually from Alpha Centauri (the same person also channels Buddha and the Archangel Michael but that is another story) and apparently the truth about cosmology is its turtles all the way down :D

ATAG_Dutch
09-16-2010, 10:39 AM

Neither! In a dedicated science programme, I'd've been happy to hear about the snails. I have nothing against snails per se.
I'd also be happy to watch a history programme about communism or a religious programme about whatever.
However this was BBC news, and my gripe was the omission of a report on the 70th anniversary of Battle of Britain day.
The inclusion of snails, but the omission of a mention of BoB day seems to me to be a strange kind of priority for a British 'news' broadcast.:-x

RCAF_FB_Orville
09-16-2010, 10:49 AM
Predictably, my prophecy has unfurled. :grin:

Don't listen to the Grognards and Spielberg wanabee's chaps, this was excellent.

Well acted throughout, studiously avoided sentimentality, and conveyed superbly the world weary sense of ennui interspersed with terrible violence many of these pilots experienced, very sobering stuff and moving in parts.

Maybe the fact that it was so understated bothered some, I saw it as a strength. What would you have preferred, Tom Cruise as Wellum bursting into the mess with his Scientology Clown Hat on screaming

"MR PRESIDENT!!! Uhhhh....CHURCHILL!!! We have only 10 days to save Planet Britain, GODDAMMIT!!!"

*Brian Kingcome* I don't like this guy, he's dangerous......

*Cruise* DAMN RIGHT I'M DANGEROUS!!! GET ME THE PRESIDENT ON THE MUTHAF*KKIN PHONE!!!

Etc etc. We are British, after all. :grin:

There was a palpable sense of detachment too, you could empathise with why many pilots would avoid becoming too 'close' with colleagues, in the knowledge that they may well not see them the next day. Not all doom and gloom though, some great "gallows humour" moments and laughs too, and more than anything their resolve and fighting spirit shone through.

His 'first Spit flight' was excellent too, the musical score complementing it superbly. Gave a real sense of the elation and joy he was feeling, it was a beautiful part of the film and should be applauded.

Why do flight sim nuts always complain when you see a bit of skirt in a film or drama? What are you all, a bunch of raving GAYLORDS or something? *Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course* LMAO :grin::grin::grin: (BTW 'Grace' was well fit, very easy on the eye). :)

Its drama, and yes "romantic relationships" are a big part of life *Duh*. Me Tarzan, you Jane, and all that. Drama just reflects this. Christ. I give up. :grin:

They are all full of sh*t lads, it was very good. :grin: Point taken though Phil, it would have been much better as a series, "band of brothers" style, but people (as per usual) are being way too harsh. Yes the book is better (they always are! 'Condensed?' someone wrote? How do you fit a book into 1hr plus otherwise FFS?) For what it is, its well worth a watch.

Ok, righteous and indignant rant over Chaps.

Carry on.

:grin::grin:

RCAF_FB_Orville
09-16-2010, 10:53 AM
I have a friend that sees a person who apparently channels the "King of the Dolphins" who, surprisingly is actually from Alpha Centauri (the same person also channels Buddha and the Archangel Michael but that is another story) and apparently the truth about cosmology is its turtles all the way down :D

Your mate might be onto something regarding the "Dolphin King" Galway, for are we not all 'Children of Gaia' ? :grin:

PS Peace be upon the Prophet Terry Pratchett, Godlike Genius and sad to hear of his illness.

*Sorry for double post chaps*

ATAG_Dutch
09-16-2010, 11:04 AM
Point taken though Phil, it would have been much better as a series,

So you agree then.:grin:

SEE
09-16-2010, 12:48 PM
...and we have Sunday Night on the BBC to look forward too!

Mysticpuma
09-16-2010, 01:31 PM
Ditto Sunday!

Cheers, MP

PeterPanPan
09-17-2010, 08:26 AM
Predictably, my prophecy has unfurled ...

You make some good points, but why do you have to be so God damned rude? Why is anyone who disagrees with your opinion "full of sh*t" and a "sad b*stard" with "nothing better to do with their lives"? Your moronic words, not mine.

Your Tom Cruise piece is actually quite funny but I don't think anyone here has stated that that's what was missing from the drama. What was missing was budget and vision ... and excitement. Look, we're all flying enthusiasts here, so we're all going to have liked this drama a bit or a lot. But my wife, who doesn't share my interest, fell asleep during First Light. So did my mum. And a review in The Independent says First Light ... "achieved the implausible task of making the subject a tiny bit dull". It just wasn't gripping enough for many viewers, flight sim nuts or not.

There was so much more material in the book that could have been used but wasn't. The opening scene should, IMHO, have been a wide shot of a school cricket game in progress, with Wellum, as captain, in bat. He was a school boy at the start of this whole process, and this was not properly emphasised. Or what about his initial interview, or his being torn off a strip during flight training or watching one of his colleagues get killed on a night take-off during training, or watching his transition from tiger moth, to harvard to spit? Or developing his friendship with Peter Pease only to find out that he was killed soon after being posted to his Squadron? And of course, the incredible story of Wellum's time in Malta and the extremely risky carrier take-off in the Med? There was so much which could, no should, have been included. The bad weather flying scene, his first 109 encounter and his brief trip home were included and done very well, I must say.

The drama was indeed well acted and moving at times. Rubbing names off the chalk board in the mess was particularly poignant. The signed blackboard in the pub was a nice authentic touch too. I also agree that his first spit flight was extremely well done - my heart was racing with his as he was strapping in.

As for the bit of skirt ... yes, you put your finger on it. I am a gaylord and would have much preferred to see Wellum copping off with Kingcome. Band of Brothers didn't need any skirt to keep it interesting, authentic, exciting, moving and appealing to a large audience. It's almost as if the BBC thought they ran out of material and needed to fill it with some skirt, as you put it. My real reason though for feeling uncomfortable is that I have met Wellum twice and felt uneasy for him having to watch some of those scenes which I can only assume were made up as there is no mention of them in the book.

The TV version of First Light wasn't bad, it was just disappointing. However, if it inspires more people to read the book and get Wellum's story as he intended it, then I'm happy.

PPanPan

Viking
09-17-2010, 08:51 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00ttjz0/First_Light/

“Not available in your area” I am in Bangkok right now but perhaps it can be seen in the EU?

Regards

Viking

winny
09-17-2010, 09:12 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00ttjz0/First_Light/

“Not available in your area” I am in Bangkok right now but perhaps it can be seen in the EU?

Regards

Viking

Have you tried viewing it through a web proxy site? Go to hidemyass.com and type www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer. See if it works that way. I can't test it as I'm in the UK

RCAF_FB_Orville
09-17-2010, 10:52 AM
You make some good points, but why do you have to be so God damned rude? Why is anyone who disagrees with your opinion "full of sh*t" and a "sad b*stard" with "nothing better to do with their lives"? Your moronic words, not mine.

Your Tom Cruise piece is actually quite funny but I don't think anyone here has stated that that's what was missing from the drama. What was missing was budget and vision ... and excitement. Look, we're all flying enthusiasts here, so we're all going to have liked this drama a bit or a lot. But my wife, who doesn't share my interest, fell asleep during First Light. So did my mum. And a review in The Independent says First Light ... "achieved the implausible task of making the subject a tiny bit dull". It just wasn't gripping enough for many viewers, flight sim nuts or not.

There was so much more material in the book that could have been used but wasn't. The opening scene should, IMHO, have been a wide shot of a school cricket game in progress, with Wellum, as captain, in bat. He was a school boy at the start of this whole process, and this was not properly emphasised. Or what about his initial interview, or his being torn off a strip during flight training or watching one of his colleagues get killed on a night take-off during training, or watching his transition from tiger moth, to harvard to spit? Or developing his friendship with Peter Pease only to find out that he was killed soon after being posted to his Squadron? And of course, the incredible story of Wellum's time in Malta and the extremely risky carrier take-off in the Med? There was so much which could, no should, have been included. The bad weather flying scene, his first 109 encounter and his brief trip home were included and done very well, I must say.

The drama was indeed well acted and moving at times. Rubbing names off the chalk board in the mess was particularly poignant. The signed blackboard in the pub was a nice authentic touch too. I also agree that his first spit flight was extremely well done - my heart was racing with his as he was strapping in.

As for the bit of skirt ... yes, you put your finger on it. I am a gaylord and would have much preferred to see Wellum copping off with Kingcome. Band of Brothers didn't need any skirt to keep it interesting, authentic, exciting, moving and appealing to a large audience. It's almost as if the BBC thought they ran out of material and needed to fill it with some skirt, as you put it. My real reason though for feeling uncomfortable is that I have met Wellum twice and felt uneasy for him having to watch some of those scenes which I can only assume were made up as there is no mention of them in the book.

The TV version of First Light wasn't bad, it was just disappointing. However, if it inspires more people to read the book and get Wellum's story as he intended it, then I'm happy.

PPanPan

Hello PanPan. First off, no need to get your knickers in a twist, I included many big grinning smilies (:grin:) to indicate it was tongue in cheek and was actually laughing whilst typing it.....Chill out. I do however think that people who scour film frame by frame for the slightest inconsequential 'inaccuracy' or 'anachronism' are a wee bit anal, and I stand by this 'moronic' assertion. Cheers. :grin:

Thanks for your lengthy description of events from a book I have already read (a few times) but can you explain how all of this could fit into a 1hr 20min production? I'll answer that for you, its quite impossible.

There was no "review" to speak of in the Independent (I read it). Unless of course you count a scant passing mention mainly comprising your quote as a "review". The majority of reviews have in fact been overwhelmingly positive. Regardless, the only "review" that matters to me is mine. :)

My real reason though for feeling uncomfortable is that I have met Wellum twice and felt uneasy for him having to watch some of those scenes which I can only assume were made up as there is no mention of them in the book.

Why feel uneasy? What on earth is so unusual about a bloke kissing his girl in a field or in a car? I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'm sure if he was that concerned about the 'factual accuracy' of whether he snogged Grace in a field, behind the bike shed, or not at all (unlikely).....He would have been up in arms about it. My guess is it wasn't too far off the mark. You do remember when you were 18, aye? :grin:

Since you and Wellum are good mates, let me allay your fears as to his opinion on the production.

"I think it is probably the most authentic rendering of what happened in the Battle of Britain to have ever been produced"

One can conclude from this that unlike you, he found it a satisfactory account. Maybe the BOB was just boring. But don't just take my word for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x30MpS5mMQc

So, I'm sorry that it did not fulfil your "explosion quota" but there is more to a screenplay than that. There was clever subtext throughout if you bothered to look for it, and the main theme was the enormous and debilitating psychological stress these young men were under. Probably something Wellum thought very necessary to convey.

The understatement was quite deliberate and central to the work, being representative of the social mores of the day and expected behaviour and convention. Stiff upper lip, what? Suppression, then release was another dramatic device frequently employed to this purpose. No relationships developed fully, again quite deliberate.

Maybe "Bruce Willis in a Vest 5" would be more to your liking, I don't know. There's no accounting for taste.

Cheers. :grin:

BigC208
09-17-2010, 03:13 PM
@Winny, try Bittorrent.

PeterPanPan
09-17-2010, 03:57 PM
Haven't really got time for this but here goes ...

Hello PanPan. First off, no need to get your knickers in a twist, I included many big grinning smilies (:grin:) to indicate it was tongue in cheek and was actually laughing whilst typing it.....Chill out.
OK, fair enough. Consider my knickers untwisted now :grin:. If this was a conversation in a pub, I'm sure I would have got it. But it's not. It's just the nature of forums and the way people express themselves that continues to catch me out :grin::grin:.

I do however think that people who scour film frame by frame for the slightest inconsequential 'inaccuracy' or 'anachronism' are a wee bit anal, and I stand by this 'moronic' assertion. Cheers. :grin:

We agree. Hooray. For example, I made no mention of the IKEA sideboard visible in the Officers' Mess.:lol:. BTW, I used 'moronic' in reference to your language, not your assertion.

Thanks for your lengthy description of events from a book I have already read (a few times) but can you explain how all of this could fit into a 1hr 20min production? I'll answer that for you, its quite impossible.

I am glad you have already read the book but I included those events in my post as I thought others who have not read it may find them interesting and perhaps encourage them to go and get the book. (No, I'm not on commission from the publishers ;):grin:;)).

I also agree it would have been quite impossible to fit all those events in to an 80 minute production. That is precisely why I mentioned Band of Brothers. Not for the 'explosions' but for the quality and length of production which would have allowed the entire book to be dramatised.

There was no "review" to speak of in the Independent (I read it). Unless of course you count a scant passing mention mainly comprising your quote as a "review". The majority of reviews have in fact been overwhelmingly positive. Regardless, the only "review" that matters to me is mine. :)

OK, fair point. It wasn't a huge amount of writing - perhaps a reviewette?!:grin: See,
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/reviews/last-nights-tv--the-young-ones-bbc1-first-light-bbc2-wellington-bomber-bbc4-2079273.html

My real reason though for feeling uncomfortable is that I have met Wellum twice and felt uneasy for him having to watch some of those scenes which I can only assume were made up as there is no mention of them in the book.

Why feel uneasy? What on earth is so unusual about a bloke kissing his girl in a field or in a car? I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'm sure if he was that concerned about the 'factual accuracy' of whether he snogged Grace in a field, behind the bike shed, or not at all (unlikely).....He would have been up in arms about it. My guess is it wasn't too far off the mark. You do remember when you were 18, aye? :grin:

Fair point ... maybe I'm just being too sentimental.

Since you and Wellum are good mates ...

Now that's just being provocative. I never said we were mates. I said I had met him twice. ;)

... let me allay your fears as to his opinion on the production.

"I think it is probably the most authentic rendering of what happened in the Battle of Britain to have ever been produced"

If that's the case, then who am I to argue. If GW is happy, then I'm happy. Maybe I'll watch it again and see if I change my mind!:grin:

One can conclude from this that unlike you, he found it a satisfactory account. Maybe the BOB was just boring.

There you go again. Maybe only the pilots who fell asleep at dispersal found it boring!!:confused::smile:

But don't just take my word for it.

I hadn't seen that video. Thanks for sharing.:-P

So, I'm sorry that it did not fulfil your "explosion quota" but there is more to a screenplay than that. There was clever subtext throughout if you bothered to look for it, and the main theme was the enormous and debilitating psychological stress these young men were under. Probably something Wellum thought very necessary to convey.

Don't be sorry :grin:. It's not your fault - or were you on the production team?!:-P;):-P. Actually, as I said in my post, my favourite parts were listening to GW's voice overs and seeing him on screen. Explosion count is not what it's about. Hooray, yet another we agree on - yippee.:grin::grin::grin:

The understatement was quite deliberate and central to the work, being representative of the social mores of the day and expected behaviour and convention. Stiff upper lip, what? Suppression, then release was another dramatic device frequently employed to this purpose. No relationships developed fully, again quite deliberate.

I agree, and it was entirely noticeable. It was noticeable in the book too which was an exciting read and as far as I recall, the book didn't blow up. Not even once.:):grin::):grin:

Maybe "Bruce Willis in a Vest 5" would be more to your liking, I don't know. There's no accounting for taste.

Well, maybe "Bruce Willis in a Zimmer Frame 5" ha ha ha ha :grin: You said it. You don't know.

Bottoms up old chap. :grin:

RCAF_FB_Orville
09-18-2010, 01:42 PM
Haven't really got time for this but here goes ...

OK, fair enough. Consider my knickers untwisted now :grin:. If this was a conversation in a pub, I'm sure I would have got it. But it's not. It's just the nature of forums and the way people express themselves that continues to catch me out :grin::grin:.

We agree. Hooray. For example, I made no mention of the IKEA sideboard visible in the Officers' Mess.:lol:. BTW, I used 'moronic' in reference to your language, not your assertion.

I am glad you have already read the book but I included those events in my post as I thought others who have not read it may find them interesting and perhaps encourage them to go and get the book. (No, I'm not on commission from the publishers ;):grin:;)).

I also agree it would have been quite impossible to fit all those events in to an 80 minute production. That is precisely why I mentioned Band of Brothers. Not for the 'explosions' but for the quality and length of production which would have allowed the entire book to be dramatised.

OK, fair point. It wasn't a huge amount of writing - perhaps a reviewette?!:grin: See,
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/reviews/last-nights-tv--the-young-ones-bbc1-first-light-bbc2-wellington-bomber-bbc4-2079273.html

Fair point ... maybe I'm just being too sentimental.

Now that's just being provocative. I never said we were mates. I said I had met him twice. ;)

If that's the case, then who am I to argue. If GW is happy, then I'm happy. Maybe I'll watch it again and see if I change my mind!:grin:

There you go again. Maybe only the pilots who fell asleep at dispersal found it boring!!:confused::smile:

I hadn't seen that video. Thanks for sharing.:-P

Don't be sorry :grin:. It's not your fault - or were you on the production team?!:-P;):-P. Actually, as I said in my post, my favourite parts were listening to GW's voice overs and seeing him on screen. Explosion count is not what it's about. Hooray, yet another we agree on - yippee.:grin::grin::grin:

I agree, and it was entirely noticeable. It was noticeable in the book too which was an exciting read and as far as I recall, the book didn't blow up. Not even once.:):grin::):grin:

Well, maybe "Bruce Willis in a Zimmer Frame 5" ha ha ha ha :grin: You said it. You don't know.

Bottoms up old chap. :grin:

Hehehehe, Good Man, and a good sport. :grin:

Cheers PeterPan!

*chin chin*

:grin:

ATAG_Dutch
09-20-2010, 12:19 PM
...and we have Sunday Night on the BBC to look forward too!

And as one of the first to post after the event, I'll concede the Beeb did a great job on Sunday.
I'm not a religious person, but also watched the afternoon service and march/flypast, which I found excellent. (David Cameron looked completely bewildered though!)
The McGregor brothers were great fun and the programme well presented, although they kept referring to Douglas Bader as 'Leader of 12 Group' with no mention of Leigh-Mallory. Strange research/scripting, especially as Stephen Bungay was on hand(!).
It was great to see Colin Mc go through the three aircraft one by one, and also interesting to note that a time served RAF Tornado pilot still got choked up after flying and landing a Spit.
They should show this sort of stuff every year.:grin:

PeterPanPan
09-20-2010, 12:27 PM
And as one of the first to post after the event, I'll concede the Beeb did a great job on Sunday...

Totally agree, this was amazing TV, especially in HD which I was lucky enough to watch it in. I was seriously impressed with C McG's Harvard landing. The Spit landing was bloody hard work and you can see how many low time pilots would have come to grief on the roll out. And how many pints had Geoff Wellum had before they started filming?!? He looked nice and relaxed which was great to see. Top TV and definitely one to buy if it's ever released on DVD.

PPanPan

ATAG_Dutch
09-20-2010, 12:36 PM
And how many pints had Geoff Wellum had before they started filming?!?
PPanPan

:grin: They didn't dub him 'The Boy Drunkard' for nothing!
Not that it bothers me at all, if I was him at 89, I wouldn't give a stuff either.:grin:

PeterPanPan
09-20-2010, 12:52 PM
:grin: They didn't dub him 'The Boy Drunkard' for nothing!
Not that it bothers me at all, if I was him at 89, I wouldn't give a stuff either.:grin:

Hee hee. Quite agree. I think he's more than earned the right to drink whatever he wants - I just hope the BBC were paying!:grin:

... and what was the phrase he used about trying his luck with the girls? Just priceless to see him laugh about that with that twinkle in his eye ... he's 89 going on 18 I think. Good for him. Just brilliant.

ATAG_Dutch
09-20-2010, 01:32 PM
Hee hee. Quite agree. I think he's more than earned the right to drink whatever he wants - I just hope the BBC were paying!:grin:

... and what was the phrase he used about trying his luck with the girls? Just priceless to see him laugh about that with that twinkle in his eye ... he's 89 going on 18 I think. Good for him. Just brilliant.

Yeah, it's interesting to note that all the Vets appear to be as bright as a button for their age compared to others.
Also makes you wonder whether the scene in the 'First Light' film with Grace and the tree may have been more true to life than the the 'little boarding house' in the book. Or maybe a bit of both. ;):grin:
On a different note, I noticed Pete Brothers was conspicuous by his absence at the service. Hope he's ok.:(

PeterPanPan
09-20-2010, 01:50 PM
Yeah, it's interesting to note that all the Vets appear to be as bright as a button for their age compared to others.
Also makes you wonder whether the scene in the 'First Light' film with Grace and the tree may have been more true to life than the the 'little boarding house' in the book. Or maybe a bit of both. ;):grin:
On a different note, I noticed Pete Brothers was conspicuous by his absence at the service. Hope he's ok.:(

Yes, I've thought this too. I don't think it's a coincidence that those with that undefinable "joie de vivre" survived and continue to enjoy long lives.

I too am also readjusting my thoughts on the innocence (or otherwise) of the extra curricular activities of off duty pilots!!

Sadly, I'm sorry to say that Pete Brothers (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/3884594/Air-Commodore-Pete-Brothers.html) died last year. Also in recent months we have lost Sq Ldr 'Stapme' Stapleton (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/military-obituaries/air-force-obituaries/7620215/Squadron-Leader-Stapme-Stapleton.html), a Spitfire Ace with a rather splendid handlebar moustache and Wng Cmdr John Freeborn (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/military-obituaries/air-force-obituaries/8002880/Wing-Commander-John-Freeborn.html) who flew more operational hours in the BoB than any other allied pilot.

The Few get ever fewer.

ATAG_Dutch
09-20-2010, 06:47 PM
The Few get ever fewer.

I must've missed all this sad news for some reason. Always had a soft spot for Pete B since Channel 4's 'Spitfire Ace' and he flew one again from the back seat of Carolyn Grace's 2-seater.
I suppose no-one can go on forever, but it's all the more reason for everyone to treat this particular anniversary in a special way.
Thanks for the info.
Dutch.

Tacoma74
09-24-2010, 02:30 PM
Superb! Just watched this last night. Going to watch it again tonight ;)