PDA

View Full Version : A First Attempt - Kursk.

ATAG_Dutch
09-10-2010, 04:43 PM
Ok, here goes.
Warning! This is quite long and some shots have things too far in the distance for small screen.
If you persevere with it, there's a nice shot of a Sturmovik peeling off from the sunrise.
Any help and/or criticism will be much appreciated!
Cheers
Dutch:-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Nc4WGAJMYU

_RAAF_Stupot
09-13-2010, 11:13 AM
As a first attempt, I think it's great!

Now for 'constructive criticism'.

Try and establish a 'narrative' or 'story' - rather than just a series of cool-looking clips. I think you've tried to do this, but it's difficult given the constraints we have with using IL-2 for footage. What I have started doing is story-boarding what I want in the video. By this I mean that I write down as a series of dot points, what I want to see in the movie, in the order they should appear. (For example - IL-2 enters frame from top-right, passes camera, and strafes tank column at bottom-left. 109 flashes past camera, chasing the IL-2). By doing this you are forcing yourself to pre-compose the movie, and you can also develop the narrative.

Also, try and keep the shots to around 4 seconds max duration. This seems awfully short when you are editing the movie, but works in practice. Less is more! You will probably have to get about 10x times as much footage as you need, in order to whittle down to the really good stuff.

This things are easy in theory, but difficult in practice, and I am trying to do them myself!

ATAG_Dutch
09-13-2010, 12:04 PM
Thanks Stupot, I know exactly what you mean.
The difficulty I have is in coordinating the timing of events in FMB with the placing of the static cameras. And relying on the AI to do something interesting.
I'd like to avoid using the three standard views (F1, F2, F3) wherever possible, except for the 'no cockpit' view.
I'm not sure what the situation is on the forum with posting modded clips, but I did a Battle of Britain type situation on my old pc that might show things better. It's a bit jerky and stuttery though. I don't have the patience to record at half speed, plus I like to keep the sound of the clip! I'll upload it and see what happens.
Cheers!