PDA

View Full Version : Questions from a newbie ...

DaveyJJ
08-31-2010, 05:37 PM
Hi,

This was posted on the original MoW threads but I wanted to move it over here as I am probably jumping into AS. So there is some overlap ...

I'm an older, tactical war gamer (designer, historian and cartography freak) looking for both a game I can play that features many fronts (esp. Western and Italian), smaller scale action, and the ability to create small scale single player engagements for my own amusement.

MoW:AS has come very very highly recommended and I'm ready to jump in, probably to MoW:AS paid beta, as I have 15+ years of beta testing games. I have a few questions about both gameplay and editor ...

1. Am I correct is assuming I can play in Normandy and Italian-type scenarios with the game? And out of curiousity, I did see mention of Japanese forces so is there Pacific forces and East Front as well?

2. Can you pause the game (in SP mode) to consider your options/orders? I am an older, slower gamer ;) after all. It is both single player and co-op MP, correct?

3. Does the beta MoW:AS have an editor at the current version? With the editor, how easy is it to create single player, small, fixed-force battles (platoon and support or less per side) where one side is (fairly static) AI defenders and the other player-controlled attackers with a victory trigger location? Or, to my #2 if it's only multiplayer, can I create maps for the community?

BTW, I have seen the videos of the original MoW editor and am asking this more from a logic/gameplay/setting up sides point of view rather than creating the terrain (which I am confident I can do well).

4. Is is relatively easy to script some basic behaviours into the AI side? For example, if X% of men are lost retreat to location A? Or how easy is it to modify the aggressiveness of an AI defending or attacking force? What about setting up a single point that if captured by the player wins the game?

5. Finally, does the editor have any Italian style terrain/buildings?

Thank you for taking the time to reply and for not minding a double-sort-of-post! Great looking game!

David

Note: I guess if these isn't a single player option I can just get MoW and look for west front mods, like the highly regarded Brothers of War mod? http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=12790

Nikitns
08-31-2010, 06:18 PM
I don't think there are any Italians in MoW or MoW: AS.

If you want to play with (kill) Italians, you could buy Red tide... Though it is a micro-hell, marketed at hardcore MoW players.

Imo, you should buy the original Men Of War b4 buying Assault Squad. Assault Squad doesn't have any serious single-player, it is all about multiplayer.

I repeat: Buy Men Of War (original) first. Questions:

1. I think I saw some small skirmish-missions about Normandy and the Pacific.
There are no campaigns or mission lines in AS.

2. Think so. At least you could in original MoW.

3. You should wait until people like Kosakov come. I tried using the editor, but I got frustrated at the stupid design decision to use different (less realistic) statistics (penetration, armour, behaviour of shaped charges etc) for the editor and the single player missions, while multilayer has the realistic statistics. Though the editor was pretty user friendly and, yes, logical.

As for Assault squad editor: I believe it is the same as MoW one, except they use only the realistic statistics.

Damn, talking about those statistics made my mouth dry lol.

4. There are such things in the single player missions (like enemy will retreat if they lost X amount of soldiers) so probably. Wait for some other answers.

PS. Don't play mods, their crap for the most part. Play the single player missions, and then move on to multiplayer. Since you are old and slow, play a more easy support role (focus on buying artillery, ammo trucks etc and helping ur teammates).

DaveyJJ
08-31-2010, 07:05 PM
Thanks, Nikitns.

I wasn't so much concerned with fighting Italian forces as much as setting up Brit vs. German scenarios such as Gothic Line stuff, etc. I was more asking about terrain and could I create a passable northern, hilly Italian-looking map.

To clarify ... does the original MoW have West Front stuff included, then? Can I at least get my Normandy fix and create scenarios for Brit/Canadian/Yank vs. Germans?

I'm not into playing full campaigns, just short bursts of missions that I can sometimes set up units and map for myself.

Thanks (trying not to get too of topic re: AS forums).

David

Nikitns
09-04-2010, 08:52 AM
ah duno. maybe you could ask at the DMS forum, they are more active.

keuto
09-15-2010, 08:10 AM
new one too . sorry couldn't help you !

szebus
09-15-2010, 11:36 AM
Hi,
1. Am I correct is assuming I can play in Normandy and Italian-type scenarios with the game? And out of curiousity, I did see mention of Japanese forces so is there Pacific forces and East Front as well?

2. Can you pause the game (in SP mode) to consider your options/orders? I am an older, slower gamer ;) after all. It is both single player and co-op MP, correct?

3. Does the beta MoW:AS have an editor at the current version? With the editor, how easy is it to create single player, small, fixed-force battles (platoon and support or less per side) where one side is (fairly static) AI defenders and the other player-controlled attackers with a victory trigger location? Or, to my #2 if it's only multiplayer, can I create maps for the community?
BTW, I have seen the videos of the original MoW editor and am asking this more from a logic/gameplay/setting up sides point of view rather than creating the terrain (which I am confident I can do well).

4. Is is relatively easy to script some basic behaviours into the AI side? For example, if X% of men are lost retreat to location A? Or how easy is it to modify the aggressiveness of an AI defending or attacking force? What about setting up a single point that if captured by the player wins the game?

5. Finally, does the editor have any Italian style terrain/buildings?

6. Thank you for taking the time to reply and for not minding a double-sort-of-post! Great looking game!

David

Note: I guess if these isn't a single player option I can just get MoW and look for west front mods, like the highly regarded Brothers of War mod? http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=12790

1. You can play with Japanese forces in MoW multiplayer and MoW:AS will have skirmish for them beside multiplayer. As of Normandy and Italian type scenarios I can tell you that there are some in fingle player MoW and you can use user made modifications for this.

2. Yes, You can pause the game in single player to issue orders. You do this with the "pause" button and You can also slower and faster game speed with the "backspace" button.

3. Hmmm, that I don't know for sure, but I know the files from the current version of AS are encrypted, but the final version will have editor to create skirmish, multiplayer and single player maps. All in all, the game will be fully modable like SHOWW2, FoW and MoW was.

4. It is not that hard if you have the knowledge of LUA programing (if I remember correctly).

5. What do you mean by Italian style ? The architecture of buildings ? In the end You can always create you're own textures and buildings.

6. You are welcome.

Note: If You have not bought MoW yet, then just wait to try Assault Squad's open beta and decide.

AdmiralKebab
05-05-2011, 07:54 AM
You should try Close Combat IV ore III old game but whit all the mods it's defenetly the best realistic war game there is. I played it alot back in the days. Now trying MOW/AS i really appriciate alot off fetures in the game but Im missing the realistic therms off battel and variation on the battelfield. Playing skrimisch is all the same.