PDA

View Full Version : Hello from the new guy!

Ides of March
08-18-2010, 05:16 AM
I love this game to death. Ive 120 hours flight time but still so green its not even funny... My greatest experience was jumping onto Hyperlobby one day and asking a few questions in chat, before i knew it Ive made a friend with a 19 year old from France who has actual flight experience.

I bugged him to get into my friends Ventrillo and with broken English he taught me the basics of boom and zoom in the P-51. We jumped into a server with 2 random strangers and fought for about a half hour. Since ive purchased 3 extra joysticks and the game for my friends to try and share this great game with them but I'm worse at teaching how to fly then actually doing it.

I have tryed applying at random squadrons I see playing in servers but no avail. Is their anyone out there that would like to teach me the vast knowledge and skill it takes for this game :) I'm in no hurry and live on the west coast USA and have steam if anyone wants to friend me.

WTE_Galway
08-18-2010, 05:46 AM
I have tryed applying at random squadrons I see playing in servers but no avail. Is their anyone out there that would like to teach me the vast knowledge and skill it takes for this game :) I'm in no hurry and live on the west coast USA and have steam if anyone wants to friend me.

You will have more success if you find and apply to a active local squadron in your time zone.

Ides of March
08-18-2010, 05:54 AM
I've only been playing in singleplayer as of these few months any way to find these squads in North America?

RCAF_FB_Orville
08-18-2010, 06:13 AM
Here you go Ides (lol at your enthusiasm btw, reminds me of me when I first started playing IL-2.....Hehehe :))

Plenty here:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/48310655/m/3541009365

Ides of March
08-18-2010, 07:50 AM
Oh thank you for the list! Also just for giggles does anyone want to share their fun stories of learning Sturmovik I know their are plenty out there and making another thread is a waste. :)

Erkki
08-18-2010, 08:26 AM
Too old he is! ;):grin:

hellbomber
08-18-2010, 10:41 AM
well at least you wont be tortured for years with SOW being dangled in front of your eyes and then yanked away cruelly, im sure your friends will be alot more pat to join you in online play if they can enjoy a brand new title and not a 10 year old game, its hard to convince people to play old games with you, alot easier to get them on-board with new games

_RAAF_Stupot
08-18-2010, 10:55 AM
<Spruiking mode on>

The Real Aussie Air Force (RAAFSquad) would love to have you as a new member, and we can teach you heaps of stuff! We have a couple of US members who fly regularly, so you wouldn't be all by yourself with regard to timezones. We have regular training sessions (Thursday nights), and also have matches against other squads (Flew against RAF662 a month or so ago, and have a match against AusSquad this Sunday). We also have a persistent server running in Hyperlobby. It is called _UGN_OGN_RAAF ....

http://www.raafsquad.com/

http://www.raafsquad.com/msgbrd/

http://www.youtube.com/user/RealAussieAirForce

<Spruiking mode off>

Seriously though if you have enjoyed flying online, then joining a squad is the only way to go.

_RAAF_Smouch
08-18-2010, 11:21 AM
<Spruiking mode on>

The Real Aussie Air Force (RAAFSquad) would love to have you as a new member, and we can teach you heaps of stuff! We have a couple of US members who fly regularly, so you wouldn't be all by yourself with regard to timezones. We have regular training sessions (Thursday nights), and also have matches against other squads (Flew against RAF662 a month or so ago, and have a match against AusSquad this Sunday). We also have a persistent server running in Hyperlobby. It is called _UGN_OGN_RAAF ....

http://www.raafsquad.com/

http://www.raafsquad.com/msgbrd/

http://www.youtube.com/user/RealAussieAirForce

<Spruiking mode off>

Seriously though if you have enjoyed flying online, then joining a squad is the only way to go.

Wot he said!!!! :-P:-P:-P

Hope to see online soon mate

Insuber
08-18-2010, 02:06 PM
I love this game to death. Ive 120 hours flight time but still so green its not even funny... My greatest experience was jumping onto Hyperlobby one day and asking a few questions in chat, before i knew it Ive made a friend with a 19 year old from France who has actual flight experience.

I bugged him to get into my friends Ventrillo and with broken English he taught me the basics of boom and zoom in the P-51. We jumped into a server with 2 random strangers and fought for about a half hour. Since ive purchased 3 extra joysticks and the game for my friends to try and share this great game with them but I'm worse at teaching how to fly then actually doing it.

Hi mate,

Welcome to the Il2 addicted club. My best advice is 1. join a squadron 2. join a great online Il2 school (not a squadron!), and a fantastic bunch of instructors:

www.joint-ops.com

Cheers,
Insuber

BadAim
08-18-2010, 02:20 PM
One thing I'd recommend is to fly the hell out of one plane and really get the feel of it, buy a book on the plane and learn about it's inner workings, and how it was flown by the Original pilots, get so you can takeoff and land smoothly, climb at maximum rate, fly in formation, do aerobatics, etc., all while operating the engine controls and such by instinct. Studying the aircraft is helpful, and personal instruction great (sometimes a casual tip will turn out to be invaluable), but there is no substitute for sticktime.

It'll take some time, but you'll learn more faster and you'll be able to really get the basics down that way. Once your comfortable in "your" plane, then you can start expanding into other planes, and you'll find it's just a matter of small adjustments to adapt each planes "style" to yours. Before you know it you'll be hopping from plane to plane with wild abandon.

hellbomber
08-18-2010, 03:19 PM
might as well start flying early model spits or early model 109's.. it will maybe get you ready for SOW

WWFlybert
08-18-2010, 03:21 PM
You'll find WingWalkers (WW) on Hyperlobby, we are the oldest online group in existence, starting in 1992 with the original Red Baron online

Mostly all American and Canadian .. also active in Rise of Flight

www.wingwalkers.org .. please come by our forum and introduce yourself

frankly you have to fly with our members casually and build a relationship before joining .. but we are very helpful to newbies and have pretty extensive training .. Tuesday evenings is the best time to find us

Blackdog_kt
08-19-2010, 02:37 AM
Not trying to rain on anyone's parade here, after all squads are in fact the way to go if you want to learn fast. However, i just thought i'd give you another perspective. What if you can't make regular squad appointments?

The solution exists, it will just take a bit longer to learn things. As mentioned before, try to stick with one aircraft initially. Start with a plane that has forgiving handling. Don't fret about top performance or big guns just yet. Fly a lot of quick missions to get a hang of things and then progress to a better and slightly more demanding aircraft that you can handle. This is your ride for the first few months.

Once you get there, go to mission4today.com and download a few user-made missions or an offline campaign for this aircraft. While the AI is no substitute for real human opposition, good campaigns tend to be tailored around what the aircraft can do well and this will give you an idea on what kind of jobs your chosen ride is better used for.

After you get your hands dirty with that and you're feeling comfortable taking on the AI, jump on hypperlobby and find a server that features your chosen aircraft. For example, if you want to fly a wildcat try a pacific server, if you want to fly 109s try a server that features maps from the mediterranean, european and eastern fronts.

I recommend full difficulty servers if you can manage the initial frustration. They are more unforgiving but you also tend to learn faster. I only fly online occasionally and i find i have to re-learn some things every time i start again. On a full switch server, that's about 8 hours of stick time for me to go from "where did he come from? i'm dead again" to "i have an idea of what's happening and can score a kill or two".

Another thing in favor of full switch servers is that they tend to have more team-oriented gameplay and reasonable people frequenting them. You'll still come across kill stealers and people who fly with reckless abandon, but when the aim of the server is to complete the mission and not just rack up kills it's safe to assume they'll be less.

After 2-3 evenings of flying there you'll get an idea about who the regulars are. Try to use voice communications (a lot of servers provide their own teamspeak server) and initially just listen (ok, you don't have to be completely silent, you just have to be brief and accurate so that other people can talk too, you get my drift). By saying listen i mean to pay attention not so much to what's being said, as much as to how it's being said. Experienced pilots can announce numbers, altitude and location of the opposition in a few words: "5 bandits, angels 20 plus, grid bravo delta one zero, pad/tac/keypad 1, heading west" means that he can see 5 aircraft that are positively identified as enemies (unkown contacts are called boogies), flying at more than 20000 feet, in map grid BD10 and heading west. As for the "tac 1" part, since grids on the IL2 map are squares with a 10 km side, online pilots found a way to further divide them in sub-grids. The way this is done is by looking at your numeric keypad on your keyboard. If you are over the center of the grid square, you're at tac 5, if you are over the north-eastern part of it you're at tac 9 and so on.

Read the mission briefings so you know where the action will be, follow your teammates there (or go to where they said the action is after you're comfortable with the lingo) and stand back. That's right, stay on the periphery of the fights a bit higher than the altitude the killing's happening and observe.

This does 3 very important things for you: 1) you're not getting in the way of anyone while learning and you score "nice guy" points with the veterans, while 2) you are in a position to clear their tails if they need help, getting the satisfaction of being useful to your team and scoring your first kills, all the while 3) learning how to fly cover for someone more experienced and also getting to learn by seeing how they go about the whole deal. The last one is essentially learning how to be a good wingman. One thing leads to another and after 2-3 sessions you'll have a few people you can regularly team up with on that server, regardless of not being a member of a squad.

Squads are great if you can schedule the time to attend the events and different squads have different attendance standards. If you can set some time aside weekly and you're sure that you can attend, then it's definitely the way to go. If on the other hand you're like me and you can't schedule things even if your life depended on it, i hope that my experiences will serve you well in your efforts to find people to team up with while still being a "freelancer" ;)

BP_Tailspin
08-19-2010, 03:19 AM
Welcome aboard ... look everyone he has a lower post count than I do, what a noob.

LOL

Ides of March
08-19-2010, 06:02 AM
Welcome aboard ... look everyone he has a lower post count than I do, what a noob.

LOL

CURSE you TAILSPIN! haha.

erco
08-20-2010, 02:55 PM
Hey, aren't we supposed to beware of you?