PDA

View Full Version : What about building objects?

Sannex
08-07-2010, 01:28 PM
Hello folks,

I am a great fan of this game and i also played faces of war and HoWWII.

The Game is great but it would be cool if u can build objects like Towers, sandbacks, fences or Walls. Also other bulidings which may produce units.

I know this will change the charakter of the game but may in further games the developing Team will think about that. Is there still a mod that make it possible to build objects?

I really looking forward to the release of assault Squad cause it might be a step in the direction I am wanted to see :)

KnightFandragon
08-07-2010, 01:40 PM
There is no base building in this game and as far as I know no way to make a building produce anything except protection from an incoming 150mm Shell ready to reduce your infantry's rumpus into a gooey, bloody mass of mush.

There are Sandbags and Tank Traps and Barbed Wire in the game but only online and given only to certain units. if you want them in the Singleplayer Campaigns then just edit them in the mission or the troops invnetory

Sannex
08-07-2010, 01:44 PM
Thx 4 the quick answear! Ur right :/

But it would be cool to build sandbags and wire and maybe small buildings like a tower or little bunkers or to dig out some trenches! Ofc in Singleplayer!

KnightFandragon
08-07-2010, 03:08 PM
If you know how to edit the SP missions in the GEM Editor you can add Sandbags, Tank Traps and Barbed Wire to your troops Inventory. Also using the editor you can add in bunkers and towers to the map to hide in, they do a wicked awesome job of protecting troops from MG and Rifle Fire. ive messed in the editor and put like 5 guys with M249s and G3s in some Atlantic Wall Towers and they held off like 100 guys at once, no joke. Mean while the guys I had just sitting behind low walls died in like 6 secodns flat against the same # of troops. The GEM Editor is like more fun then ive had ever in a game haha. Ive even screwed around enough and had my tank hiding behind a wall of sandbags higher then the tank with only a slit for its gun. Sadly it didnt give me the efect I was going for but ti was fun anyway.

Nikitns
08-07-2010, 06:47 PM
no base-building. at all. only field fortifications.

Crni vuk
08-09-2010, 08:26 PM
I always thought it might be interesting to give troops the option to dig trenches or at least foxholes which provided some cover for the infantry against grenades and artillery shells (if they dont hit the hole directly).

Something the USSR also had was the BTM-3 which was a trench digging machine.

http://www.pib-11.de/Fotos/btm3.jpg

BTM-3 High Speed Ditching Machine Walk Around Page
(http://www.primeportal.net/ce/michael_rener/btm-3_trenchdigger/)
Now I have no clue how many of them have been really used or if they even saw any service in WW2. But I think I saw photos of such similar vehicles on the british side in WW2. The Brits usualy always fortified their positions after they conquered some area as the Germans would regularly counter attack as soon as possible trying to capture the area even if there was no chance at all to really achieve it.

It could be also interesting if engineers or machineguners could create some small position for their weapon so its not that easy to take them out with grenades and enemy fire. Of course thouse would give not much protection against heavy artillery and tank guns.

http://www.exchange3d.com/images/uploads/aff1839/w2mgn1_1.jpg

Also digging anti tank trenches eventualy to give anti tank guns more camouflage and protection might be a good thing as well since I think anti tank guns are somewhat to easily defeated in MP if you consider that Carious a famous Tiger 1 tank commander had much more fear from those anti tank guns and to some degree tank hunters then anything else, since as how he explained it once, they would tend to fire 2 or even 3 times at you before you spoted them even and when ever you destroyed one it would be replaced in a blink. Of course to entrench a gun would take some time but it was usualy always done if the troops had the time, expected some enemy attack soon or simply prepared for a defencive position. Particiularly the Soviets have been masters of using camouflage with the anti tank guns, placing and preparing them at night in already by the Germans cleared villages inside of buildings together with infantry and suddenly firing at the unaware troops and vehicles.

http://ww2db.com/images/weapon_75cmpak40_19.jpg
Caption Camouflaged German 7.5 cm PaK 40 anti-tank gun position, North Africa, 1941

World War II database (http://ww2db.com/images/weapon_75cmpak40_19.jpg)

KnightFandragon
08-10-2010, 12:27 AM
Making those emplacements and trenches is a cool idea but im sure they would be a waste to try and build...if you ever got them built. The troops digging the stuff would just die at the first site the enemy gets of them building it and if it just dies to one tank shell which sandbags and stuff do, why take the time to get the troops to make the emplacements, its going to last 1 hit anyway and prolly take the guy out behind it with it. As for foxholes Artillery and tank shells already make plenty of those pretty quickly, why make a guy dig one. Emplacements and stuff might work well if there is ever a skirmish mode against AI but vs human players the empalcements would prolly take to long to build and would just wind up as the same jumble of materials it started as...with a few human remains on the side

kane1
08-10-2010, 12:40 AM
The option would be cool but you barely have enough time to move guys around before your attacked. It's a cool looking vehicle, thanks for the pic.:)

Crni vuk
08-11-2010, 05:32 AM
Making those emplacements and trenches is a cool idea but im sure they would be a waste to try and build...if you ever got them built.

The same could be said about any of the other emplacements you can already build as well and yet we have them in game, the sandbags which you can use with the machineguns and anti tank canons are easily destroyed by artillery and tank shells of higher caliber, the Czech hedgehog ( metal crosses) are as well easily destroyed by artilery. Mines, barbed wire, sandbags or the other things you have with the engineering vehicle are used somewhat rarely in matches as almost all of it is quite fast disabled. But its still fun to have it and with some maps its quite usefull sometimes.

But many also forget the Attack - Defense gameplay where such fortifications are usualy used with great effect. You just dont see to many of those objects used cause the gameplay of the maps (victory, battle zones, free for all etc.) are in their nature usualy to fast to allow a proper use of it as you usualy dont have the time for it at the start of the round particularly as once the enemy has either punched a hole in to the defence or simply avoided it most of the preparations that went in to it have become now useless and you also can not always tell for 100% where the enemy might overrun you eventually and usualy at that point the round is pretty much over anyway ~ but to tell you that it IS even when you loose satisfying to see 2 Kingtiger, 1 Jagdtiger and couple of Panthers sitting on the field cause they attacked trough your minefield waiting for their repair now ;) !. But the time spend on those defences would have been better spend elswhere maybe like attacking the enemy by your self. In most matches the best defence is a succesfull attack keeping the preasure on your enemy not giving him time to either set a defence position by him self or amass the forces for some attack ~ which is one reason why I find the "complains" some have with moving your troops close to the enemy spawn a bit pointless I mean when you manage to sneak behind his position and destroy for example a vehicle worth of 90 points with a rocket infantry that costs 8 BEFORE it even reached the scene then you did a great job I can see that this kind of gameplay is frustrating and feels cheesy to the victim particularly for new players and I was vicitim of such situations often enough but if you allow the Axis for example to deploy their heavy armor tearing your units to shreds you did something wrong. Anyway probably most of the matches played in MP are of fast nature with the target to either attack the enemy or the ground as fast as possible. But as said the defend/attack gameplay (Called Frontline) is there as well and here mines, barbed wire and the other equipment can be put to good use. Diging foxholes would give you a bit more tactical freedom as well.

As for foxholes Artillery and tank shells already make plenty of those pretty quickly
So to get a "foxhole" I would have to fire with the artillery and thuse give away its position ? Better not.

By the way those craters make only very poor foxholes as you get only suficient protection when the soldiers are in a prone position. Foxholes provide usualy a cover that is more similar to a trench just for one or two men. Its just sad that MoW doesnt give infantry more ways how to survive artillery on the field. I know that in the war more then aproximately 3/4 of the casualties have been caused by guns, grenades and explosives in general then real direct fire. But something that happens many times is that engagements end with armor facing each other while very few spend points on infantry as they die rather quickly since in big matches almost everyone has enough artillery around and tanks dont get that easily destroyed by them compared to the infantry.

http://www.oldhickory30th.com/119th%20Arlon%20Adams%20foxhole%20Bardenberg%20Ger many.jpg

Now this is a simple shell hole (WW1) and while it gives you cover its only a poor solution for a proper defence as both trenches and foxholes can be matched to the size of a human while a shell hole is well more random so in the worst case its barrely big enough to provide any kind of cover but as seen like here it makes it quite difficult to shoot acuratly at the enemy cause of the size difference.

http://www.v-like-vintage.net/uploads/images/Cropped700/00065785.jpg

Digging your self in to the ground (if possible) is one of the first things done by any force as without it you are very easily overrun. As like the US troops learned quite fast in the Cassarine Pass when they havnt seen really the need to dig foxholes and prepare correctly for eventual attacks diszipline during that time in the US army was very bad and changed later exactly cause of such experiences. The German and British army have been a lot better trained at that point. But they have been also for 2 years already in war to say that.

http://www.oldhickory30th.com/Roer%20River%20Crossing%20Feb%2023%20Soldiers%20Tr enches.jpg

http://www.oldhickory30th.com/Nov%20Assault%20Riding%20Tanks.jpg