PDA

View Full Version : Gaijin: Apache: Air Assault

Zatoichi_Sanjuro
07-15-2010, 03:37 PM
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/activision-announces-apache-air-assault

Looks like I forgot to factor in using the game engine for a different game when I said inevitable sequel to BoP. :(

"The game will include more than 16 multi-stage missions with both air and ground operations set off the coast of Africa, the mountains of the Middle East and the jungles of Central America, according to the release.

"No games on next-gen consoles have been dedicated to helicopter combat simulation, but that is about to change this autumn", said David Oxford, Activision Publishing. "Apache: Air Assault offers fun for diehard military enthusiasts and flight sim fans as well as gamers who just want to blow stuff up."

The game will include an arcade mode with easier controls, a realistic mode with more complex controls and a local co-op campaign mode. There will also be support for online multiplayer matches of Team Deathmatch, Ground Attack, Capture the LZ, and Ground Strike."

http://www.shacknews.com/images/image-o-matic.x?/images/sshots/Screenshot/15313/15313_4c3f2f0e37f58.jpg

http://www.shacknews.com/images/image-o-matic.x?/images/sshots/Screenshot/15313/15313_4c3f2f178f6da.jpg
http://www.shacknews.com/images/image-o-matic.x?/images/sshots/Screenshot/15313/15313_4c3f2f1db464a.jpg
http://www.shacknews.com/images/image-o-matic.x?/images/sshots/Screenshot/15313/15313_4c3f2f276fbc7.jpg
http://www.shacknews.com/images/image-o-matic.x?/images/sshots/Screenshot/15313/15313_4c3f2f3163be7.jpg

McQ59
07-15-2010, 03:43 PM
Prop-on-roof game don't count as sequel to BoP. That's bugs.

Edit: Thanks for posting Zatoichi.

olife
07-15-2010, 03:43 PM
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/activision-announces-apache-air-assault

Looks like I forgot to factor in using the game engine for a different game when I said inevitable sequel to BoP. :(

"The game will include more than 16 multi-stage missions with both air and ground operations set off the coast of Africa, the mountains of the Middle East and the jungles of Central America, according to the release.

"No games on next-gen consoles have been dedicated to helicopter combat simulation, but that is about to change this autumn", said David Oxford, Activision Publishing. "Apache: Air Assault offers fun for diehard military enthusiasts and flight sim fans as well as gamers who just want to blow stuff up."

The game will include an arcade mode with easier controls, a realistic mode with more complex controls and a local co-op campaign mode. There will also be support for online multiplayer matches of Team Deathmatch, Ground Attack, Capture the LZ, and Ground Strike."

hello

thanks for the new zatoichi

Zatoichi_Sanjuro
07-15-2010, 03:49 PM
Prop-on-roof game don't count as sequel to BoP. That's bugs.

heh, I ment that the cost of creating the BoP engine ment they would have to make a sequel since it's cheaper to make and the first one did quite well. I forgot they could just use the engine for a different game.

It sounds an awful lot like BoP too. Arcade and Realistic settings (Sim mode wasn't even going to be in BoP originally.) Capture the LZ and Ground Strike mulitplayer modes...

dkwookie
07-15-2010, 04:07 PM
Cool news in my books. I just hope it has some city stages so I can swoop round all Blue Thunder

trk29
07-15-2010, 05:43 PM
Wow that is killer thanks for the post.

On top of that there's a local co-operative Campaign Mode where you and a friend can act as pilot and co-pilot in the same Apache, and there are Team Deathmatch, Ground Attack, Capture the LZ and Ground Strike online multiplayer modes.

Now that sounds fun!

Balderz002
07-15-2010, 05:45 PM
Cool news in my books. I just hope it has some city stages so I can swoop round all Blue Thunder

I want to be Nic Cage, I will wear an eyepatch and everything!

trk29
07-15-2010, 05:46 PM

Go Roy Schneider. I've got that on DVD one of my all time favorite movies.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3052850/Re_Gaijin_is_developer_for_Apa.html

Since Autumn is more Europe language when is Autumn? Our (US) Fall?

Apache: Air Assault features more than 16 multi-stage missions involving air and ground strike operations off the coast of Africa, the mountains of the Middle East and the jungles of Central America, each meticulously created using high resolution map data from real-world satellite photography. Apache helicopters are some of the most sophisticated combat aircraft on the planet – the player gets to fly multiple variations of them, each with their own extreme firepower and highly-detailed damage modeling.

Zatoichi_Sanjuro
07-15-2010, 05:52 PM

Oh god! :grin: I haven't seen that film (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099575/) in ages.

Zatoichi_Sanjuro
07-15-2010, 06:17 PM
OP: Second image is not there.

Fixed.

Some of the trees and textures look like they're from BoP's engine. But the water reflections are new? At least I never noticed it in BoP.

guiltyspark
07-15-2010, 06:20 PM
hopefully with activision as the publisher they wont completely rape the 360 fanbase this time by leaving out a patch , i must say im excited, but cautious due to the issues with the last game

McQ59
07-15-2010, 07:00 PM
heh, I ment that the cost of creating the BoP engine ment they would have to make a sequel since it's cheaper to make and the first one did quite well. I forgot they could just use the engine for a different game.

It sounds an awful lot like BoP too. Arcade and Realistic settings (Sim mode wasn't even going to be in BoP originally.) Capture the LZ and Ground Strike mulitplayer modes...

Yeah, Zatoichi - sorry. Wasn't meant as to be rude or something. Was just my little frustration coming out there regarding the devs. Stupid of me to post it. They don't even read this forum.

trk29
07-15-2010, 07:14 PM
Fixed.

Some of the trees and textures look like they're from BoP's engine. But the water reflections are new? At least I never noticed it in BoP.

Yeah the reflections are new.

Zatoichi_Sanjuro
07-15-2010, 07:22 PM
Yeah, Zatoichi - sorry. Wasn't meant as to be rude or something. Was just my little frustration coming out there regarding the devs. Stupid of me to post it. They don't even read this forum.

It's OK. I wasn't really clear by what I ment in my original post.

Apparently this is a budget title from their Minneapolis series. I'll still have fun with it if it's just all external-view action but guncam/FLIR would be awesome.

trk29
07-15-2010, 07:25 PM
hopefully with activision as the publisher they wont completely rape the 360 fanbase this time by leaving out a patch , i must say im excited, but cautious due to the issues with the last game

Welcome back Guiltyspark haven't seen you in a while.

dkwookie
07-15-2010, 08:02 PM

I havnt seen that one in years either. I will have to see if I can dig that one out and give it a watch.

That shot of the helis coming in over the ocean in formation looks mint. Team battle like that with Ride Of The Valkrys on the stereo...I can't wait!

MACADEMIC
07-15-2010, 08:37 PM
Guess we'll soon have to learn to fly helicopters.

;)

And, who knows, if they land a success with as strong a publisher as Activision, a sequel to BOP will become inevitable.

Hope dies last.

MAC

mattd27
07-16-2010, 01:57 AM
Assuming everything works out well, I'll most likely get this. I have little to no knowledge of helos and how to fly them so I'll probably be starting out on arcade. Maybe the people at Activision will hype this up like they do with everything and we'll actually have a decent amount of people playing online though.

The_Goalie_94
07-16-2010, 02:12 AM
This game caught my attention...I WANT IT! I love helicopters more then planes. And the fact its a simulator!

The_Goalie_94
07-16-2010, 02:13 AM
I swear, this game BETTER HAVE CO-OP!!!!

The_Goalie_94
07-16-2010, 02:21 AM
THeir should be a sim mode, and more then 1 helicopter co-op. I mean 8 player co-op, with a 4 helo's and 4 co-pilot/gunner would be sweet. And make the mission realistic, or at least have realistic style single missions like in BoP. And man, no confirmation of a mission in Iraq or Alphganistan?

trk29
07-16-2010, 02:36 AM
THeir should be a sim mode, and more then 1 helicopter co-op. I mean 8 player co-op, with a 4 helo's and 4 co-pilot/gunner would be sweet. And make the mission realistic, or at least have realistic style single missions like in BoP. And man, no confirmation of a mission in Iraq or Alphganistan?

There will be 16 multi-stage missions involving air and ground strike ops off the coast of Africa, over the mountains of the Middle East and in the jungles of Central America.

It says "Mountains of the Middle East" probably Afghanistan.

This is a special time right now with aviation games coming out. It's good that developers haven't given up on this genre yet! Seems like a long time since Soviet Strike (last apache game I played) Big thanks to Gaijin for making BOP and hopefully making other devs in the future to push the graphics and realism of this company. It's to us aviation freaks advantage as well as the devs.

Mage_016
07-16-2010, 04:38 AM
Oh, i'm going to get this. For a support for Gaijin if nothing else.

There is no sim? Hopefully you can adjust flight realism somehow then. I'd like to see that flying with these things are rewarding, not easy at start.

Balderz002
07-16-2010, 09:05 AM
I reckon I will get this un'all.

King Jareth
07-16-2010, 12:34 PM
Yes, yes and oh dear god yes.
I love BoP but I am way more of a helicopter fan so I am mahogany hard right now.

Any chance of including the AH-1 version (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AgustaWestland_Apache)?

Until release I will be found terrorising fools in BC2 and OF-DR from as many whirlybirds as I can lay my grubby mits on.

The_Goalie_94
07-16-2010, 01:25 PM
Yes, yes and oh dear god yes.
I love BoP but I am way more of a helicopter fan so I am mahogany hard right now.

Any chance of including the AH-1 version (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AgustaWestland_Apache)?

Until release I will be found terrorising fools in BC2 and OF-DR from as many whirlybirds as I can lay my grubby mits on.

same, with a bit of IL-2 and GTA in their as well.

stealth finger
07-16-2010, 01:57 PM
Been a while since I've been round these parts but this is awesome news. I'm over with Jareth in the mahogany section. Hopefully after BoP and WoP they have the engine refined and can do something special. Also lets hope activision are good with it.

Riceball
07-16-2010, 03:24 PM
I think the folks at Activision are a little bit more wise than the fools at 1C.

Looking foward to this probably more than I did BoP. With MUCH more hope. :grin:

vdomini
07-16-2010, 04:14 PM
i like the smell of napalm in the morning!!!!!

I would love an helicopter game for my ps3! I hope it would be addicting like BOP...

trk29
07-16-2010, 09:19 PM
I think the folks at Activision are a little bit more wise than the fools at 1C.

Looking foward to this probably more than I did BoP. With MUCH more hope. :grin:

Not very wise to call 1C fools especially when this is their forum. Plus you must be a little misunderstood. The publisher and the reason for lack of support was because of 505 so if anyone was to blame it would be them. They are the ones that didn't give you the patch.

Zatoichi_Sanjuro
07-16-2010, 10:59 PM
Not very wise to call 1C fools especially when this is their forum. Plus you must be a little misunderstood. The publisher and the reason for lack of support was because of 505 so if anyone was to blame it would be them. They are the ones that didn't give you the patch.

I wouldn't blame 505 either. Look at Red Dead Redemption. It sold millions and yet they still have to lay off staff. I think the console manufacturers put up far too many boundaries to make patches for games feasible, especially under these economic conditions.

Which is why I'm such a PC fanboy. :)

trk29
07-17-2010, 03:03 AM
I wouldn't blame 505 either. Look at Red Dead Redemption. It sold millions and yet they still have to lay off staff. I think the console manufacturers put up far too many boundaries to make patches for games feasible, especially under these economic conditions.

Which is why I'm such a PC fanboy. :)

So if you wouldn't blame 505 which is who published the game world wide then who would you blame? Sony gave us the patch and Microsoft got left out.

It comes down to the publisher whether or not the patches go out, and how much money it's going to cost which is where I see your point since the console companies charge the publishers to put out patches and dlc. In the end 505 didn't want to pay or they didn't see green numbers.

About Red Dead Redemption. That game was huge and took five to six years to make. I bought it and thought it was cool but I sold it and that is one of two games I have ever sold except for HAWX. After the game comes out it doesn't make sense to keep a bunch of people on payroll if they don't need them. It's just like any other project in the world. You hire people to make your product or design and once the project is over and there is nothing or a whole lot to do, you get rid of the people you don't need anymore. If they make a sequel to that game they already know the formula for the first one and then they will make the second game with as little people as it takes to make more of a profit.

Evidently 505 made all the money they thought they were really going to make and then pulled the plug to go make some stupid game like Naughty Bear.

olife
07-17-2010, 10:25 AM
hello guys

very good to have an helicopters sim in ps3,new experience,new flying machines,new weapons,new war theathers and new fun!!!if this new game is as good as bop (no doubts for me) ,for sure it will be a great game,in fact i will buy it!!!even if i prefer the ww2 planes it is a good idea to do an helicop sim!!can' t wait!!!!!!!!!!!

winny
07-17-2010, 10:46 AM
I read somewhere recently that it costs $10,000 to release a patch with MS and sony and that is per region, so for a full worldwide update you're looking at $80,000 to cover 4 regions over 2 platforms...this seems rather expensive and is supposed to discourage publishers from patching too often.

The fact that rock star had to lay people off has probably got more to do with getting rid of some of the fat that most companies seem to have gained since the 90's because they thought (like everyone else) that they'd just keep making more and more money and get bigger and bigger.

If the $10,000 is true then 505 saved $40,000 by not releasing to MS... which they probably spent on Naughty Bear.

As for no sim mode in the Apache game.. Anyone else wondering if MS's peripherals issues have anything to do with this.. It's gotta be pretty hard to get the full set of controls for a helicopter onto a game pad?

trk29
07-17-2010, 12:31 PM
As for no sim mode in the Apache game.. Anyone else wondering if MS's peripherals issues have anything to do with this.. It's gotta be pretty hard to get the full set of controls for a helicopter onto a game pad?

I think for the perfect set up (hopefully) we will get to assign key commands like we did with BOP after the update.

flynlion
07-17-2010, 05:03 PM

For some of us, this hits pretty close to home. My best friend died while flying Apaches in "the mountains of the Middle East". Not that I'm opposed to the game, I love to see new aviation titles come to consoles. I'm just not sure if I'll be playing this one.

It also seems odd that a Russian company would base a title on the Apache. Makes me wonder where they got their technical data, and how accurate it is LoL. Helocopter flight characteristics are much more complicated than those of fixed wing aircraft. If it's so very rare to find a good game based on fixed wing combat, how good can this one be? Guess we'll find out in a few months.

guiltyspark
07-17-2010, 05:17 PM
did anyone find out if there is a forum for this somewhere yet?

Riceball
07-17-2010, 06:11 PM

I am not too worried of what may happen to me because i called the tards at 1C fools.

All but a handfull of my posts here were in anticipation of BoP. A game that I looked foward to as much as any I can remember. And I was let down like never before.

A better publishing company would never let this kind of thing happen. Both parties are at fault. Bottom line.

The_Goalie_94
07-17-2010, 07:05 PM
I am not too worried of what may happen to me because i called the tards at 1C fools.

All but a handfull of my posts here were in anticipation of BoP. A game that I looked foward to as much as any I can remember. And I was let down like never before.

A better publishing company would never let this kind of thing happen. Both parties are at fault. Bottom line.

Thats taking it a little too far, you got to remember, its a video game, not reality.

trk29
07-17-2010, 07:55 PM
did anyone find out if there is a forum for this somewhere yet?

I haven't been able to find one. The game is not even on Gaijin's (http://gaijinent.com/) website.

Since it is Gaijin it might be on the yuplay forum (haven't checked yet). That is until Activision dedicates a forum for it which will probably happen.

xX-SiLeNcE-Xx
07-18-2010, 03:20 AM
Right now I am crying tears of joy. The co-op is going to b AWESOME!

The_Goalie_94
07-18-2010, 03:35 AM
Right now I am crying tears of joy. The co-op is going to b AWESOME!

Its going to be pretty good. I think it would be better with more then one helo.

Mage_016
07-18-2010, 07:08 AM
There's nothing about this at yuplay. Except one from infinitestates under bop topic. Maybe activision don't want that the developer is in direct contact with gamers. That way they cant tell us that where and what direction are things going. That was one problem with bop, we knew what to expect form devs, but the publisher messed things up. So, we knew that the publisher was one to blame and maybe out of money for bop project. As I said activision is more professional and I think Gaijin must be very careful with this kind of publisher if they want to continue cooperation with them. So the forum will be there but I'm sure that it will be under direct control of activision.

bobbysocks
07-18-2010, 07:59 AM
a guy i work with is an Apache jock....guess i am going to have to hit him up for pointers.... :grin:

dkwookie
07-18-2010, 11:37 AM
I bought the real account book Apache by Ed Macy this week. If you get chance it's a great read. It recounts a rescue mission with soldiers sat on the missile pylons.

trk29
07-18-2010, 01:10 PM
I bought the real account book Apache by Ed Macy this week. If you get chance it's a great read. It recounts a rescue mission with soldiers sat on the missile pylons.

I bet that was a scary ride home!

winny
07-18-2010, 01:25 PM

Strangley, I've just read the accounts of the same thing but from the guys who were clinging on.. (If it's the one where they were going back for Lance Corporal Ford).

I don't know if you've read Chickenhawk? My favourite book about helicopters in combat.

Riceball
07-18-2010, 02:34 PM
Thats taking it a little too far, you got to remember, its a video game, not reality.

Is it taking it too far to look foward to a game? Or to be let down by all involved?

dkwookie
07-18-2010, 02:45 PM
Strangley, I've just read the accounts of the same thing but from the guys who were clinging on.. (If it's the one where they were going back for Lance Corporal Ford).

I don't know if you've read Chickenhawk? My favourite book about helicopters in combat.

Chickhawk was a great book. I remember one of the quotes on it saying it has so much detail you could fly a copter after reading it.

Riceball
07-18-2010, 03:20 PM
If I was a warrior, and had just been rescued, I would welcome a ride on the pylons of a professionally flown Apache. Maybe the best time of my life.

Not scary at all.

winny
07-18-2010, 05:47 PM
If I was a warrior, and had just been rescued, I would welcome a ride on the pylons of a professionally flown Apache. Maybe the best time of my life.

Not scary at all.

Sadly the guy they went to get was already dead when they got there.

4 marines on the pylons of 2 apaches went into a Taliban fort to get his body back after he was left behind. 3 of them voulnteered without knowing what it was they were voulnteering for.. As for not scary.. they were sitting on the 2 biggest bullet magnets around with 50-100 taliban trying to kill them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epyJl6btNq8

Riceball
07-18-2010, 05:58 PM
Sadly the guy they went to get was already dead when they got there.

4 marines on the pylons of 2 apaches went into a Taliban fort to get his body back after he was left behind. 3 of them voulnteered without knowing what it was they were voulnteering for.. As for not scary.. they were sitting on the 2 biggest bullet magnets around with 50-100 taliban trying to kill them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epyJl6btNq8

Too bad the objective was dead. RIP.

You must realize. Scary to you and me has a different meaning to some people.

You can bet your ass the people involved in this mission were COMBAT VETERANS.

Brings to mind the two Snipers in Somalia that volunteered to get dropped off in order to protect the crew of a downed Blackhawk. Not knowing how many there were left to protect.

A different species than the rest of us.

winny
07-18-2010, 06:10 PM
Too bad the objective was dead. RIP.

You must realize. Scary to you and me has a different meaning to some people.

You can bet your ass the people involved in this mission were COMBAT VETERANS.

Brings to mind the two Snipers in Somalia that volunteered to get dropped off in order to protect the crew of a downed Blackhawk. Not knowing if there was anybody to protect.

It's what you do when you're scared that's the difference, no fear = dead very quickly.

Riceball
07-18-2010, 06:17 PM
It's what you do when you're scared that's the difference, no fear = dead very quickly.

I'm not saying they were'nt scared. I'm saying it was just another day at the office.

winny
07-18-2010, 07:35 PM
Brings to mind the two Snipers in Somalia that volunteered to get dropped off in order to protect the crew of a downed Blackhawk. Not knowing how many there were left to protect.

Agree about this. Both of those men knew that they had a very small chance of getting out alive but they still went in.

winny
07-18-2010, 07:37 PM
I'm not saying they weren't scared. I'm saying it was just another day at the office.

And I didn't say that you said they weren't scared...

trk29
07-18-2010, 08:35 PM

Not scary at all.

Have you ever been directly underneath a helicopters wash several hundred feet in the air? My buddy fly's a shitter for the Marine corp and I have been near it as it was taking off and I can tell you rotor wash from one of those is mind boggling. I'm sure they knew they had a job to do and were 100% confident they could get it done. But at some point me personally I would say "This is crazy we are sitting on top of rockets". I was saying it would be scary sitting on the pylon directly underneath the rotor there is not much room in between the two.

Soviet Ace
07-19-2010, 02:16 AM
Have you ever been directly underneath a helicopters wash several hundred feet in the air? My buddy fly's a shitter for the Marine corp and I have been near it as it was taking off and I can tell you rotor wash from one of those is mind boggling. I'm sure they knew they had a job to do and were 100% confident they could get it done. But at some point me personally I would say "This is crazy we are sitting on top of rockets". I was saying it would be scary sitting on the pylon directly underneath the rotor there is not much room in between the two.

Especially if you're 6' or more.:confused:

King Jareth
07-19-2010, 01:15 PM
Ed Macys Apache and Damien Lewis' Apache Dawn are both good books, just picked up Hellfire by Macy and I want Dressed to Kill by Charlotte Madison (who is mentioned in Apache).
Yes I have an Apache 'thing', I blame you Microprose Gunship
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HadNMYvCWqE

The_Goalie_94
07-19-2010, 08:11 PM
Agree about this. Both of those men knew that they had a very small chance of getting out alive but they still went in.

Because they knew, that even if no-one their was alive, it would be worth sacrificing their lives to save the lives of others. Leave no man behind Oorah!

Riceball
07-20-2010, 03:10 PM
And I didn't say that you said they weren't scared...

My mistake.

Riceball
07-20-2010, 03:18 PM

Lol. I see your point.

But neither you, nor your buddy, have seen real combat, been captured, (like the men involved in this rescue mission) and experienced the feeling of being rescued.

Like I said. It would be the best time of my life.

Sorry to get this topic so off track.

dkwookie
07-20-2010, 06:22 PM
Back to the game. So the co-op is local only? How great would co-op online 4 player with 2 Apaches. I really cannot wait for this game. Anton and the crew did us proud with BOP so theres every chance this will replace Gunship as the best Heli game ever. I agree with other comments though we need some other gunships in there. Heres what I want:
Havok
Hind
Little Bird
Lynx
Cobra

Throw in a Black Hawk for CTA missions. I really think CTA should have Black Hawks deploying troops to capture, even if its just a visual cue.

Robotic Pope
07-21-2010, 02:06 AM
I'd like all of these please, and the Lynx, WAH-64, and Merlin for CTA like wookie said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nydibvd1pAM&feature=fvw

kjwright
07-21-2010, 04:05 AM
I am the greatest! I am the greatest
Shoot 'em,
nab 'em, grab 'em!Shake 'em, bake 'em,cook 'em!Broil 'em,kick 'em!Twist 'em!All gone!Bye-bye!

Dubbedinenglish
07-21-2010, 03:05 PM
Back to the game. So the co-op is local only? How great would co-op online 4 player with 2 Apaches. I really cannot wait for this game. Anton and the crew did us proud with BOP so theres every chance this will replace Gunship as the best Heli game ever. I agree with other comments though we need some other gunships in there. Heres what I want:
Havok
Hind
Little Bird
Lynx
Cobra

Throw in a Black Hawk for CTA missions. I really think CTA should have Black Hawks deploying troops to capture, even if its just a visual cue.

KA-52 or bust :-P

Excited to see another flight game in and a sim too. Hopefully there is no delay and we see a demo soon.

trk29
07-21-2010, 08:21 PM
Only bad thing I can think of so far is, it is supposed to come out this fall and we just found out about this game. Maybe they realize that it is such a niche market that advertising is not worth spending the money on. We knew about BOP well before release.

winny
07-21-2010, 08:56 PM
Only bad thing I can think of so far is, it is supposed to come out this fall and we just found out about this game. Maybe they realize that it is such a niche market that advertising is not worth spending the money on. We knew about BOP well before release.

I was thinking that this is a budget type game, big releases usually have a 5 month promotion leading to release, this has only 8-9 weeks, add to that the fact that Activision have already released a game with the same name previously and I come to the conclusion that this is a stop-gap release using some of the technology of the innevitable sequal TM maybe to test the waters with activision? I'm just guessing btw.

trk29
07-21-2010, 09:53 PM
I was thinking that this is a budget type game, big releases usually have a 5 month promotion leading to release, this has only 8-9 weeks, add to that the fact that Activision have already released a game with the same name previously and I come to the conclusion that this is a stop-gap release using some of the technology of the innevitable sequal TM maybe to test the waters with activision? I'm just guessing btw.

I was thinking the same thing. Hopefully Activision has let Gaijin do what they want with this game and it will be a smash hit. And then hopefully Acitivsion will see their talent and fund a sequal to BOP, make right where 505 went wrong.

Lexandro
07-21-2010, 10:00 PM
I wouldnt mind a good chopper game. I havent played one one in years, but it was helluva fun. The one I had was Apache vs Havok iirc. There was a campaign you could do and I remember one mission in particular.

I had to take out a tank coloumn moving west down a river valley. I flew to the target 5 feet off the surface of the water following the riverbeds contours. I got to 2 klicks away and went in to a hover. The tanks were around a corner in the river that was hidden behind the valley contour. So I very gently hovered over to just below the lip of the hillside. I then landed the Apache and rolled it forward on the deck so that the nose mounted sights were just able to target the tanks. I then locked up targets and proceded to fire mavs at them while still landed. Thanks to the angle of the slope I was on the mavs went up and came back down right on top of them smashing them to bits. I then cruised home for a debrief and a cuppa. :-)

And that was all with atrocious DX8 graphics and physics. If this game has good graphics, good physics and a generous amount of flight characteristic settings then I will be one of those seriously considering buying the game. Full chopper flight controls really require a pedals setup as a twist grip stick really wont cut it in the long run. So I hope Gaijin take this in to account and give players fully customisable controls.

olife
07-22-2010, 06:26 PM
maybe an eurocopter TIGER

Soviet Ace
07-22-2010, 06:42 PM
It's another Russian game, so you know they're gonna have that hog of a Mi-24... hopefully the Mi-24D Hind-D variant (purest of all the gunship models put together.) Along with the Mi-24PTRK. (It's like a Hind-D but with some modifications to weapon systems and some weapons themselves. Maybe have a Hind-V variant... :cool:

Damn Soviet ingenuity and its beauty! ;)

FOZ_1983
07-22-2010, 07:52 PM
It's another Russian game, so you know they're gonna have that hog of a Mi-24... hopefully the Mi-24D Hind-D variant (purest of all the gunship models put together.) Along with the Mi-24PTRK. (It's like a Hind-D but with some modifications to weapon systems and some weapons themselves. Maybe have a Hind-V variant... :cool:

F**K that!!! Get a good old Huey in their and were laughing!! Couple of rocket pods or side mounted miniguns... all you need!! The sound of those huge rotors to.... epic!!

Keep yer Hind, i'll take the Huey and we can re enact that scene from rambo :D

Edit - its not a hind in rambo is it?? its that other russian piece of crap haha. Ah well we'll make do with a Huey v Hind :P

bobbysocks
07-22-2010, 08:03 PM

Hind? do i get to play the afghan mujahideen with the stinger that shot them down like clay pigeons??

dkwookie
07-22-2010, 08:16 PM
F**K that!!! Get a good old Huey in their and were laughing!! Couple of rocket pods or side mounted miniguns... all you need!! The sound of those huge rotors to.... epic!!

Edit - its not a hind in rambo is it?? its that other russian piece of crap haha. Ah well we'll make do with a Huey v Hind :P

Well it was meant to be a hind but it was just a Puma dolled up to look like one. Same truck was used in Rambo 3 but they also threw in a dolled up gazelle for a bit of spice.
It was always the same back in the 70s and 80s. I remember first time I saw a real Hind in a film in mid 90s it was a big event

Soviet Ace
07-22-2010, 08:18 PM

I don't think there were actually any variants of a Huey with air-to-air missiles. (Yes, Soviets actually toyed and were partially successful with air-to-air missiles on their Hinds.) But I'm pretty sure with the Hind's side mounted guns (Hind-Ds had them for infantry support) along with their four rocket pods, twin 12.7mm guns in the nose (or later with the 30mm cannon), and their rocket pods would decimate any Huey you sent its way? :twisted: And yes, it's a Hind in the Rambo movies.

Hind? do i get to play the afghan mujahideen with the stinger that shot them down like clay pigeons??

As for that, I'm not sure? Maybe ask Osama how it was using US Stingers. Or maybe how it was dealing with Hind's before the US had to stick their nose in Soviet business. :P

dkwookie
07-22-2010, 08:31 PM
I don't think there were actually any variants of a Huey with air-to-air missiles. (Yes, Soviets actually toyed and were partially successful with air-to-air missiles on their Hinds.) But I'm pretty sure with the Hind's side mounted guns (Hind-Ds had them for infantry support) along with their four rocket pods, twin 12.7mm guns in the nose (or later with the 30mm cannon), and their rocket pods would decimate any Huey you sent its way? :twisted: And yes, it's a Hind in the Rambo movies.

As for that, I'm not sure? Maybe ask Osama how it was using US Stingers. Or maybe how it was dealing with Hind's before the US had to stick their nose in Soviet business. :P

A Huey would last about 5 seconds up against a Hind. The hinds were not deployed in their correct role in Afganistan. They were tank hunters, which is not a good role against a militia force with no tanks

FOZ_1983
07-22-2010, 09:21 PM
A Huey would last about 5 seconds up against a Hind. The hinds were not deployed in their correct role in Afganistan. They were tank hunters, which is not a good role against a militia force with no tanks

I think were kind of missing the point i was making here... it was a bit of fun fella's, to try and rile soviet a little ;) and mention the scene in rambo where he fires the AT4 through the window of the huey and shoots down the "hind" which in the film clearly doesnt look anything like a hind... observation haha.

I think its safe to say that a huey would get slaughtered by a hind... but i'd like one in a helicopter game anyway, just to hear the mighty thumping sound of the engine if anything :D

flynlion
07-23-2010, 06:04 AM
I think its safe to say that a huey would get slaughtered by a hind... but i'd like one in a helicopter game anyway, just to hear the mighty thumping sound of the engine if anything :D

There's only about 20 years of development seperating the 2. Might as well put a Hurricane up against an F-104 :-P

But I agree that any hellicopter combat game needs a Huey, if only for the sound of that big 2 bladed rotor.

Soviet Ace
07-23-2010, 06:21 AM

Well they were tank and people hunters. Most of the Hind's in Afghanistan though, were equipped more for attacking ground forces than actually tanks, but they just didn't have the ability to combat their Stinger foe. Basically any helicopter is susceptible to an enemy missile or rocket launcher. Like the use of RPG-7s in Somalia in the 90s against the Black Hawks or in Vietnam during the 60s-70s against Hueys. Transport/Gunships just don't quite cut it, but do good as they can get troops in and out of hot zones pretty fast. (That's why they had Air Cav.)

I think were kind of missing the point i was making here... it was a bit of fun fella's, to try and rile soviet a little ;) and mention the scene in rambo where he fires the AT4 through the window of the huey and shoots down the "hind" which in the film clearly doesnt look anything like a hind... observation haha.

I got it, and like always I have to bring in the big guns and show off what Soviet ingenuity has to offer against your Capitalist scrap metal. :P

As for the game, they could always add the Russian Ka-50s. They're the helicopters that have one pilot, kinda look like a Russian Cobra or Apache.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0c/Russian_Air_Force_Kamov_Ka-50.jpg/800px-Russian_Air_Force_Kamov_Ka-50.jpg

Buggins
07-23-2010, 08:20 AM

I'd love to have some Soviet choppers, but according to the press release the Apache is the only helicopter in the whole game, just with different variants. I wish we could get some more info on this. Anton!!??

Mage_016
07-23-2010, 08:44 AM
ps3.ign.com/objects/080/080868.html

IGN writes that the release date is november 16th. How come I cant find anything of this game from activisions official site. And there's nothing at Gaijins page either. Where's the official press release from activision?

MACADEMIC
07-23-2010, 08:57 AM

IGN writes that the release date is november 16th. How come I cant find anything of this game from activisions official site. And there's nothing at Gaijins page either. Where's the official press release from activision?

Mage? Internet in the fishing camp?

;-)

Soviet Ace
07-23-2010, 11:37 AM
I'd love to have some Soviet choppers, but according to the press release the Apache is the only helicopter in the whole game, just with different variants. I wish we could get some more info on this. Anton!!??

Well that's just ******* stupid! Even I'd get bored if BoP or any other flight game just had the Yak-3 to fly. (And I LOVE that plane to death! Even though on BoP it's really more of a Yak-1M with that windscreen.) But that's dumb, just with different pain jobs I'd suspect. Ah well, what can you do.... (Protest, picket, scream at the top of your lungs, something?!)

mattd27
07-24-2010, 06:16 PM

IGN usually just makes up random dates sometime around when they think it'll be out. I'm not even kidding, I've seen them do it on multiple games. I personally don't trust anything on their site anymore.

Balderz002
07-25-2010, 11:16 AM
Well it was meant to be a hind but it was just a Puma dolled up to look like one. Same truck was used in Rambo 3 but they also threw in a dolled up gazelle for a bit of spice.
It was always the same back in the 70s and 80s. I remember first time I saw a real Hind in a film in mid 90s it was a big event

Anyone seen Red Scorpion with Dolph Lundgren?

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm369008384/tt0098180

He shoots down an S-61 dressed up as a Hind with an AK-74!

Mage_016
07-25-2010, 04:31 PM
Mage? Internet in the fishing camp?

;-)

Lol, there's internet everywhere where I have signal for my mobilephone. I usually browse with my phone.

But actually I was back home at thursday.

Zatoichi_Sanjuro
07-25-2010, 06:25 PM
I remember seeing a trailer for DSC Blackshark where it was engaging everything from an Apache to an A-10. Ground targets would be primary, obviously, but it would be nice to have some variety.

Riceball
07-25-2010, 09:40 PM
We knew about BOP well before release.

How many were "we"?

trk29
07-27-2010, 02:24 AM
How many were "we"?

Whoever was on this forum. (meaning the forum was here before the game unlike the game in this thread)

Riceball
07-27-2010, 03:23 PM
Whoever was on this forum. (meaning the forum was here before the game unlike the game in this thread)

I was'nt myself.

Anyway. Is it really a drawback that there is no other helo than the Apache? It is called Apache:Air Assult. It should'nt be a surprise.

Thunderstrike:Operation Pheonix on the PS2 had only one type, and it is my favorite attack helo game to date. Before you say or ask, i'm not a PC slave.

Buggins
08-17-2010, 02:33 AM
When the hell are we gonna get some info on this? Still nothing on Acti's site..

mattd27
08-17-2010, 01:34 PM
Maybe the campaign revolves around apache's but then they'll throw in some other game modes (maybe a practice mode à la BOP) where we can use the other helos. It's something to wish for I guess.

Zatoichi_Sanjuro
09-17-2010, 08:56 PM
Hind DLC! :cool: (j/k)

I think if they get all the components right for one ship then I'd be far happier than if they had mulitple ships but with less features all round.

From that gameplay trailer, if it is to be believed, then it looks like they've got all the basic features of an Apache in place. The FLIR looks great and the 30mm cannon even sounds realistic. Kind of puts the recent gunship segement from big-budget MoH to utter shame.

http://i55.tinypic.com/2elbaqr.jpg

I just hope the guncam/FLIR segements from the trailer aren't on-rails single-player missions. I want to be able to switch to co-pilot and guncam at any point during flight. The co-op aspect of the game looks all the more awesome at this point.

PoetSaskia
11-04-2010, 12:12 PM
I sure hope we get to fight enemy helicopters at some point. But I guess there will need to be fictional missions for this. I can't even remember the last conflict where Apaches were involved in air to air combat, if there was one. I've been playing the demo on my PS3 and its really awesome. Can't wait to play it on my 360 with my Saitek Aviator. But it needs to be more than just shooting ground targets, don't you think?

tbtstt
11-04-2010, 03:04 PM
I sure hope we get to fight enemy helicopters at some point.
From the official website:

http://www.apache-game.com/upload/image/1000x700/1_4.jpg

Its another helicopter and it doesn't look friendly! ;)

I can't even remember the last conflict where Apaches were involved in air to air combat, if there was one.
I could be mistaken (and I will happily stand corrected), but I don't believe an Apache has ever engaged another aircraft in combat. Its actually pretty rare to see them with any sort of armament fitted to the outer pylon hardpoint.

El Hadji
11-04-2010, 03:42 PM
Hmmm... Am I the only one a little sceptical after playing the demo? "Realistic mode" and unlimited ammo? :confused: And how come I have ugly waypoint markers floating around in the sky and blue/red "friend and foe" (as far as I can tell from the demo you can't even engage friendly ground forces by mistake...) icons all over the screen when flying in "realistic mode", cockpit view and HUD turned OFF? The above takes away the point of having working cockpit instrumention! And what about fuel management? Will there be any good reasons to land, or will you just fly around spamming Hydras and Hellfires? I hope this doesn't turn out to be a helicopter version of Hawx...

tbtstt
11-04-2010, 03:51 PM
There is a "Veteran" mode in game as well - that has realistic limits to weaponry and no recharging. The fuel thing no one seems sure about at the moment!

El Hadji
11-04-2010, 03:55 PM
Thanx! You just saved my day!

PoetSaskia
11-05-2010, 08:37 PM
I tell you what I would really like this game to have: a mode like training mode in IL-2 where you could pick a map and dogfight against up to 16 enemy aircraft. I'd love to see something like that in this game but with enemy helicopters. Wouldn't that be sweet?