PDA

View Full Version : Musket Mod?

LawL LawL
07-08-2010, 11:13 AM
I know this may sound INCREDIBLY lame beyond all possible reception as a remotely good idea, but has anyone ever made, tried to make, or even think about a Musket mod for MoW? I think it would make for an interesting multiplayer experience. Shots would be more valued, weapons more lethal, and thus people would be more inclined to use Direct Control.

KageToraUK
07-08-2010, 07:10 PM
I know this may sound INCREDIBLY lame beyond all possible reception as a remotely good idea, but has anyone ever made, tried to make, or even think about a Musket mod for MoW? I think it would make for an interesting multiplayer experience. Shots would be more valued, weapons more lethal, and thus people would be more inclined to use Direct Control.

As far as I know, neither here nor on the DMS Forums, nor on the Moddb, is there a musket mod - by which I guess you mean pre-WW1?

It would be an interesting idea, though - small action in the 18th/Early 19th Century. I am sure it can be done, but it would end up being a massive overhaul - extremely long reload times + plus reloading animation, cavalry action and all the animation that entails (rider and horse should be separatable, too, so the horse would essentially become a vehicle).

I'll keep an eye out for it, anyway. ;)

Kage

PS - People should be using direct control all the time, anyway :cool:

Korsakov829
07-08-2010, 08:16 PM
There are mods out there developing this.

All you would have to do to make a musket is increase the reload rate of a gun, plus animations and such.

KnightFandragon
07-09-2010, 05:54 AM
Musket mod? so like revolutionary war/Napolean era warfare? I find war pre WWII to be kinda boring and kinda retarded...that whole line up in a row and shoot till 1 side gives up is boring to play, you just line up and fire.......I can do that in the editor now haha. but I guess some people like the idea and thats cool =D

KageToraUK
07-09-2010, 06:16 PM
Musket mod? so like revolutionary war/Napolean era warfare? I find war pre WWII to be kinda boring and kinda retarded...that whole line up in a row and shoot till 1 side gives up is boring to play, you just line up and fire.......I can do that in the editor now haha. but I guess some people like the idea and thats cool =D

I guess small action skirmish battles are probably what the OP had in mind, though - kind of like the Sharpe TV series. On a game of this scale, it would be overwhelmingly impractical to have 50,000 men on the field at once :)

LawL LawL
07-09-2010, 06:49 PM

That is a grossly oversimplified and common misconception of warfare during the Napoleonic era and times before it. If you were to look at any given battle from that era, not once would you read that men simply stood in large lines and shot at eachother till one side gave way. The logical answer as to why is simply that in such a scenario, numbers would be the only asset, and casualties would be horrific beyond what generals of the day would accept for victory. Furthermore, you said "pre WWII" well I can assure you men before the age of gunpowder did not stand in large lines and shoot, nor did the trench orientated western armies with machine guns and tanks do so in WWI. Lastly, if ever there was to be a misconception of the warfare during the age of muskets, all of it would be drowned out by shifting focus away from Europe, and over to its North American colonies of the time. French Indian war ring a bell? Im sure they formed the biggest lines in that war ;).

Now as to the purpose of the mod, it would function as KageToraUK has mentioned, as a small scale skirmish. Like those commonly found in the Peninsular War or French Indian War. Also, Korsakov829, increasing the reload times and animations would more or less do it, but for the sake of tactical possibilities and fun, cavalry in the form of modded vehicles, and grenades in the form of, well, modded grenades. Besides what i've mentioned, one major aspect of the warfare of the period was melee, which I remember some Zombie mod had managed to produce a way to get soldiers to deliberately use multi purpose weapons in melee without being already next to the opponent. Oh and you mentioned there are mods like this in developement? Could you give a link to a forum thread or website for this?

KageToraUK
07-18-2010, 04:58 PM
Hi Lawlz

Good playing with you the other night :)

By the way, I think I may have found something along the lines of what you may be looking for: http://www.digitalmindsoft.eu/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1493&start=0 (three mods listed here - one for Star Wars, one for Stalingrad, and the one beneath them is for musket warfare (and cowboys)).

I haven't read the entire thread, and it is dated 2008, so I don't know if it's been continued/released/discontinued, or what.

Anyway, I've found this at least. If I can find any more, I'll have the links posted on here as soon as.

Kage.

MGSchutze
08-25-2010, 12:17 AM
Im strongly behind the idea of this mod.
Napoleonic or American revolutionary era mod would be awesome. 40 paper wrapped cartridges per musketier....move-able cannons with the same concept as the original....cavalry would be an awesome addition.

simply following some total war ideas and giving them direct control would be awesome alone.

jwhittley
04-06-2012, 07:24 AM
My british fight zulu's, french foreign legion have battles with rifs, I have even solved most of the cavalry issues. The ability to have small actions like apunitive mission on a native village are a lot more interesting to me than
ww2 battles. I have camels...working on elephants now and I posted how to add horses to your battles and they by the way are not mechanical where the rider looks like he is on a motorcyle! Dervish in the Sudan, Boers on the southern tip of Africa, the British in India all are possible not to mention the 300 different models I have made for space. Every model is just a combination of a skin , a hat or helmet in Milkshape and body armor, weapons and stuff without going into 3dmax. I have a few major issues I need to solve. 1. How do I make a soldier stay 3 feet of the ground and still walk around and do the animations? (This will solve my elephant rider issue.)
2. How do you get soldiers to climb the stairs and occupy those buildings that have balcony and and stairs leading to flat roofs? 3. I could use a model that has a kilt, or better yet a american indian waist cloth.... my apaches don't scare the cavlary with out a proper looking waist cloth. When you adjust the rates of fire for rifles you can get musket rates of fire .... can someone tell me how to get smoke from the rifle barrel when it's fired?