PDA

View Full Version : Buying back items and silenced weapons and other stuff

beepbeep
07-02-2010, 02:14 PM
The situation is as follows: at one time I found a Scorpion and a silencer for it, can't remember where anymore.

Some time later I was rewarded for helping a gun runner with a silenced MP5SD5, so like the fool I am I sold the silenced Scorpion because I believed since I now possess a silenced MP5 I had no need for the Scorpion. Not one of my proudest moments.

Imagine my surprise when in the first Olvega mission I ambushed a transport at night and wanted to silently kill off the enemy, only to discover they could see my tracers and hear my shots even though the MP5 is supposed to be silenced. Needless to say I died a pretty gory and quick death.

After digging through the manual I realized I need silenced ammo for silenced weapons to work...

Okay, the questions are:
- is there some way for me to buy the silenced Scorpion or silencer back? even though the gun runner I "think" I sold it to doesn't have it listed...

- Are the boxes I looted permanently empty or will they be eventually refilled?

- Where can I get silenced 9x19 ammo? None of the gun runners or traders are selling them, even though they have all the other versions of 9x19 ammo.

The only silenced ammo I could find is for the Scorpion, but don't have the silencer anymore, nor can I buy it anywhere.

-

And what's that about typing "cgl 14" into the console about refreshing the offer of gun stores? I tried in- and out-side of the trade screen, but it doesn't work, not even other numbers after the cgl.

-

The manual also says there's some guy in the game that can modify my weapons, but who is he and where can I find him?

-

How do I capture towns? Do I just kill all the police and military guards and that's it?

Ninja2dan
07-02-2010, 02:44 PM
It's been a while since I've played, so my answers are probably just temporary until R@S chimes in.

Something that I used to do when I was running low on limited-availability ammo was to sell the empty boxes (and sometimes near-empty) to a dealer or bartender, and then buy them back. When you buy ammo boxes they are always full, so this helped me stock up on that hard-to-find stuff. I also always kept the empty boxes to the uncommon ammo for this reason, instead of dumping them like others.

One tip that helped me often was to pile tons of unfilled magazines onto one character with a bunch of ammo, and refill every magazine I owned (and had ammo for). When that was all done, I'd go sell and rebuy the empty or low ammo boxes through a dealer. This helped ensure that I always had fully stocked magazines and spare ammo.

beepbeep
07-02-2010, 04:01 PM
It's been a while since I've played, so my answers are probably just temporary until R@S chimes in.

Something that I used to do when I was running low on limited-availability ammo was to sell the empty boxes (and sometimes near-empty) to a dealer or bartender, and then buy them back. When you buy ammo boxes they are always full, so this helped me stock up on that hard-to-find stuff. I also always kept the empty boxes to the uncommon ammo for this reason, instead of dumping them like others.

One tip that helped me often was to pile tons of unfilled magazines onto one character with a bunch of ammo, and refill every magazine I owned (and had ammo for). When that was all done, I'd go sell and rebuy the empty or low ammo boxes through a dealer. This helped ensure that I always had fully stocked magazines and spare ammo.

Thanks, but the problem is I don't even have empty boxes for the silenced MP5, so I can't use your system. Any idea where I can find those boxes?

R@S
07-02-2010, 04:11 PM
- is there some way for me to buy the silenced Scorpion or silencer back? even though the gun runner I "think" I sold it to doesn't have it listed... There are many traders in the game that sells the Scorpion, but they are only available after CGL 4, and even then it's only a 50% chance that the trader has it in stock. I think the bartenders sell it too.

- Are the boxes I looted permanently empty or will they be eventually refilled?Nope, once emptied they'll stay that way. It can be used as a temporary storage place if you like.

- Where can I get silenced 9x19 ammo? None of the gun runners or traders are selling them, even though they have all the other versions of 9x19 ammo.

The only silenced ammo I could find is for the Scorpion, but don't have the silencer anymore, nor can I buy it anywhere.I don't think the game has that, there's only a few calibers that has that variant and I don't know them all. Check it out once you've reached a higher CGL.

And what's that about typing "cgl 14" into the console about refreshing the offer of gun stores? I tried in- and out-side of the trade screen, but it doesn't work, not even other numbers after the cgl.You need to wait until the next day after using the CGL cheat for the shops to update their inventory. Once you've activated, let's say CGL 14, exit to the global map and speed up time until the next day. Then when you talk to the trader they should have better inventories.

The manual also says there's some guy in the game that can modify my weapons, but who is he and where can I find him?Where n the manual, I've never seen that and the only thing I can think of is the base mechanic. But he doesn't modify weapons, he only repairs them for free if you hold the weapon in your hands when talking to him.

How do I capture towns? Do I just kill all the police and military guards and that's it?This part of the game is broken, or that's my opinion of it. To capture a city for yourself, that city must have a mayor, of it hasn't the city turns neutral instead of blue, which is the player color. But if the city has a mayor, talk to him after you've killed all the guards/soldiers and you should get a dialog option about holding the town and adding your own militia.

Hope it helps:)

R@S

beepbeep
07-02-2010, 04:29 PM
There are many traders in the game that sells the Scorpion, but they are only available after CGL 4, and even then it's only a 50% chance that the trader has it in stock. I think the bartenders sell it too.

Scorpion yes, but not a silenced one. I can't get a silencer anywhere anymore. I'm so angry at myself for squandering that opportunity.

Thinking back now, I probably received an empty box of silenced ammo with the MP5SD5, but didn't know I needed special ammo so I either threw it away or sold it. :mad:

Having a fully functioning silenced weapon would definitely make that mission so much easier.

I don't think the game has that, there's only a few calibers that has that variant and I don't know them all. Check it out once you've reached a higher CGL.

When I type CGL into the console it says CGL 6. At which cgl do I start getting the option for buying the fun weapons? I've recovered an AN94 and a AKNM, but can't buy any ammo anywhere.

You need to wait until the next day after using the CGL cheat for the shops to update their inventory. Once you've activated, let's say CGL 14, exit to the global map and speed up time until the next day. Then when you talk to the trader they should have better inventories.

Is 14 the highest cgl?

Thanks for all your help.

Btw., is the form at www.strategyfirst.com down only temporarily or is it permanently? I saw you post a link to it in some other thread on this site, but the thread is broken for me.

R@S
07-02-2010, 04:36 PM
I think I made it so that bigger calibers appear after CGL 6 or 7, both in ammo and weapons. The really fun ones appear around 8 or 9, and the truly awesome around CGL 13.

The highest CGL is 16.

It's too bad SFI is down, I made a tactical guide with pictures and tips for the convoy mission. Since 25% of troops on your side must survive, speed is more important than stealth. Having at least one high caliber rifle is also a plus, placing that shooter in a good position to pick off the enemies your skirmisher runs past.

I dunno what has happened to SFI, ther eare rumors but no facts. We'll have to wait and see.

beepbeep
07-02-2010, 07:50 PM
Thanks!

safoolfool
07-03-2010, 07:18 AM
Speaking of CGL, what's a good way/what counts towards raising it? After getting it to 7 pretty quickly, it seems to raise really slowly. I've done all the government missions except the last (I assume it's the last at least, since I'm supposed to kill Tanya), and killed 500 people. As far as I can see from outsourcedconfig.ini the cumulative kill count is
30 to add 1, 70 for 2, 120, 190, 280, 390, 530, 700, 900, 1130, 1400, 1710, 2060, 2460, 2960, 3560.
So I've got 6 CGL from kills and then 3 from missions? Assuming the last mission bumps me up by 1, and I kill 30 more guys, I can get to CGL 11. But how in the hell am I supposed to get to 14 (I think that's when the last of the new rifles come out)? Only by killing another 600 guys? Encounters have maybe 10-15 guys in them, and while I want to see some of the cool stuff, I don't have the patience to sit through another 50 encounters just to get a new rifle. As far as I can see, and admittedly this is only anecdotal, only faction missions raise CGL, and fedex or BSM ones don't.
I know some .inis can be edited without starting a new game, could I just lower the marginal requisite kill count and go to town, or do I have to start over?

R@S
07-03-2010, 09:04 AM
The quickest way to increase CGL is by doing faction missions, they bypass the kill counter.

There are some CGL's that can't be reached by killing, only by completing faction missions, I think those are 7, 11, 15 and 16. That means it doesn't matter what you set the kills in the outsorcedINI to, you won't advance above those CGL's unless you do faction missions.

As beepbeep correctly said in another thread, there's 26 missions for each faction. I think you hav a ways to go since the last mission for the govt doesn't have to do with Tanya. And the game also makes sure you're on CGL 15 before you get that mission.

safoolfool
07-03-2010, 04:46 PM
Oh, well then nevermind! I was just a little worried since this is my 13th mission (he said he thought it might've been 26 total/13 each, good to hear it's not), and Tanya seemed like a good ending point (but for all I know she'll escape or something too).