PDA

View Full Version : Patch and other issues

Palandiell
06-23-2010, 04:05 PM
hey

I just downloaded SW3 and i have a question: Unlike in the SW2 version, when you have interaction between different characters, there is no talking. is this normal for the SW3? (for instance when you are contacted by the MSF directly at the beginning there is no talking)

if this is a problem, does the patch stop it? is there a (english version) patch for SW3? would really like to play it since i loved the 2 so i think i will like this one too.

greetz,
Palandiell

Trucidation
06-24-2010, 12:04 AM
Apparently they decided to not bother with the expense of voiceovers for the english release (although if you dig into the script files, you'll see they reference voice files which are actually there, only that they are all filled with several seconds of silence).

Someone released a voicepack compilation of voices from SW1 and SW2, click here (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=13727) and read the second post (the one by Gui DURANDAL). Let me know if the link is down because I've saved it. I've also created two replacement voices for the hero in the "Star Wolves Talkie?" thread, although you could simply rename the files and move them to a different pilot's folder.

Palandiell
06-24-2010, 01:11 PM
Apparently they decided to not bother with the expense of voiceovers for the english release (although if you dig into the script files, you'll see they reference voice files which are actually there, only that they are all filled with several seconds of silence).

Someone released a voicepack compilation of voices from SW1 and SW2, click here (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=13727) and read the second post (the one by Gui DURANDAL). Let me know if the link is down because I've saved it. I've also created two replacement voices for the hero in the "Star Wolves Talkie?" thread, although you could simply rename the files and move them to a different pilot's folder.

wait they dont even CARE about the voices? how stupid is that from 1C company? first, they put out a game that gets heavily critized for absolutly NO innotiative ideas or even changes and an archaic graphic, and then they dont even TRY to make the english version good? is this a young pc company or are they just kind of stupid?

Trucidation
06-24-2010, 05:04 PM
Guess what, people bitched about the voices in SW2 so they left them out. You get what you pay for.

first, they put out a game that gets heavily critized for absolutly NO innotiative ideas or even changes and an archaic graphic, and then they dont even TRY to make the english version good?
So you bought into the mainstream review kool aid, huh. As long as those crap EA games keep gettings 8s and 9s I'd trust them about as far as I could throw a dead body. Show me any other space sim which gives you a team of pilots. Who each have personalised skill trees. That's just to name one thing. Multiple storylines, multiple endings. "Archaic graphics"? Well, graphics whores are everywhere nowadays I suppose. Sure, space is rather empty and the engine doesn't seem optimised to handle large fleets (see modding thread), but here I was thinking "archaic" meant stuff like those good ol' NES games I used to enjoy. I'd rather have SW's gameplay rather than the tedious fps-like space sims like Darkstar One or Spaceforce: Rogue Universe, even if they look a bit nicer. But who cares if the game sucks, look at the detail on those laser guns, right?

Palandiell
06-24-2010, 05:54 PM
Guess what, people bitched about the voices in SW2 so they left them out. You get what you pay for.

ah, so when a few people start bitching, you throw an idea?

Do you listen to reasonable critic, from players or gametesters? if you would take half of the ideas proposed by them (and they dont bitch, they rationally critize) you would put a great game out

already in SW2 did it seem like the universe was kind of empty and quiet. now it is silent. that does take some fun away from the game. wish you guys would do a better job in SW4 if there will be one

Nanaki
06-24-2010, 10:20 PM
wait they dont even CARE about the voices? how stupid is that from 1C company? first, they put out a game that gets heavily critized for absolutly NO innotiative ideas or even changes and an archaic graphic, and then they dont even TRY to make the english version good? is this a young pc company or are they just kind of stupid?

1C is just a publisher, they do not really do much beyond manufacturing the CDs and advertising the games they publish, the developer of Star Wolves 3 is a little studio called Elite Games Team. They are actually a Star Wolves 2 modding group that has recently evolved into a developer, considering that the original Starwolves Developer, X-Bow Software, has seemed to have closed their doors after the release of Star Wolves 2.

The biggest improvement Star Wolves 3 has made upon Star Wolves 2, is the fact it is stable, mostly bug-free, and the storyline is a massive improvement from the confusing nonsensical mess that was SW2's Storyline.

Palandiell
06-25-2010, 12:44 PM
1C is just a publisher, they do not really do much beyond manufacturing the CDs and advertising the games they publish, the developer of Star Wolves 3 is a little studio called Elite Games Team. They are actually a Star Wolves 2 modding group that has recently evolved into a developer, considering that the original Starwolves Developer, X-Bow Software, has seemed to have closed their doors after the release of Star Wolves 2.

The biggest improvement Star Wolves 3 has made upon Star Wolves 2, is the fact it is stable, mostly bug-free, and the storyline is a massive improvement from the confusing nonsensical mess that was SW2's Storyline.

oh, thanks for clearing that for me :grin:

So you bought into the mainstream review kool aid, huh. As long as those crap EA games keep gettings 8s and 9s I'd trust them about as far as I could throw a dead body. Show me any other space sim which gives you a team of pilots. Who each have personalised skill trees. That's just to name one thing. Multiple storylines, multiple endings. "Archaic graphics"? Well, graphics whores are everywhere nowadays I suppose. Sure, space is rather empty and the engine doesn't seem optimised to handle large fleets (see modding thread), but here I was thinking "archaic" meant stuff like those good ol' NES games I used to enjoy. I'd rather have SW's gameplay rather than the tedious fps-like space sims like Darkstar One or Spaceforce: Rogue Universe, even if they look a bit nicer. But who cares if the game sucks, look at the detail on those laser guns, right?

my friend, you are right, archaic graphic does not mean the game is bad. I play games that date pre 2000 (my favorite being the german Gothic series, check it out, its great)

BUT there is a difference:the games graphic were good/very good for its time, now its bad, thats different then using a not so good graphic at times when there are better options. you dont have to have a absolute killing graphic like mass effect 2 (which in my opinion IS one of the best games ever) but you can have a more decent one

dont get me wrong Trucidation, there is a REASON why i am being a bitch here. its because i love the SW series. the idea of a mothership with only a few ships under your control and mutliple skill trees is absolutly fantastic. i want more space sims like this or like freelancer (you control one ship, more rpg, less strategy) i want the game to be great because i really like it. if i didnt like it i wouldnt give a rats ass if the game was shit. but since i do like it i want it to be as good as possible. so dont get me wrong and sorry if i was a little bit TOO pissed off :grin: